Antony dos Santos (Out)

Antony is done at United or England, the defenders here are strong, quick and physical. As long as you stay in front of him and ensure you can block or affect the shot, Antony can't score. Antony needs to get the hell out of United if he wants to be relevant somewhere else. If he run down his contract, I can see him leaving to a South American club as no Europe club wants him.

A signing so bad that more people deserved to be sacked for it than just Arnold and Murtough. Get rid of the scouts who said he was good enough.

You’d wonder what sort of conversations are happening with him in the video reviews after games.

After last nights game for example - when the blind man’s guide dog in the crowd can see him angling to cut onto his left to wind up a shite shot from a bad position, with every defender knowing exactly what he’s up to from a mile off.

Is there nobody hitting pause and asking him to explain what in the actual fück does he think he’s doing? Are they asking him if he can actually be that thick and making him defend himself in front of his coaches and teammates?

If a goalkeeper kept going for crosses with his eyes closed and missing the ball, or kept diving to make saves with his arms behind his back, you would drop him. If a centre forward kept taking panenka penalties with his bad foot and keepers kept standing still and catching them - you’d take him off penalties.

Why do we keep picking a winger who does the same thing unsuccessfully every single fecking time?

It’s the same with Rashford on the other side, only he’s a bit less shit than Antony - one dimensional, greedy wide players are just so easy to defend against. If the fullback or centre back knows you are going to try and create space to shoot 99 times out of 100, all they have to concentrate on is stopping that shot.

A guy like Giggs shows that you don’t have to be the quickest, or the most skillful, or the most clinical to be a great wide player. Variety is everything and he could play the early pass, or cross from deep, or beat you on the outside and cross from the byline, or pull it back, or cut inside and skin you there. When you’re defending against a guy who can and does present multiple threats, it’s so much more difficult to manage.

If our lot weren’t so thick, they’d realise that by being a bit less selfish every so often, they’d actually create far more space and chances for themselves in the long run.

It absolutely boils my piss.
Giggs is one of the quickest and most skilful wingers I have seen and he was a good finisher.

What are actually unlocking with him? He did not had great numbers in Ajax with Mazruai behind him.

Whenever he manages to find space on his left foot, the shot is usually not precise, as he always goes for placement with precision, instead of power. He has this habit of leaning back when taking the shot, which results in missing the target. I was expecting for him to be taking more shots with power due to the proximity of the goal, like when he scored against City.

It's going to be a slog of a season. ETH has already called it the survival of the fittest in regards to this upcoming season. The full squad when fit will have to be utilised. So I wouldn't presume there will be "first choice" in any position. More of a case of who is fit and not in need of a rest.

I presume when Antony plays, ETH will probably select mazraoui as the RB behind him. @Raaes did a analysis on Antony when he was at Ajax for his YouTube channel. Antony's game is very dependent on a particular type of attacking fullbacks to provide overlaps and help stretch a defence so he can cut inside and do his work in the right half space of the final third.

It probably doesn't work with dalot behind him (thats not dalots fault, but Antony being shite).

Very good and valid points!

A signing so bad that more people deserved to be sacked for it than just Arnold and Murtough. Get rid of the scouts who said he was good enough.
the story goes that our Scouting department valued him at 25/30m

who knows where the pressure came from to spend 80m

Zero point in moving him unless a half decent offer comes in, with Europa we will have a minimum of 31 games by the End of January, not including League Cup/Fa Cup.

That's a lot of football, and with Amad and his previous injuries- his minutes will need to be managed. Of course, we can sell Antony and upgrade but we have more pressing issues at CM/CB/FB. Add on Pellistri looks to be off and Sancho is hopefully being moved on as well.

This was never getting sorted in a year, simply have to hope he unlocks something this year although I'm sure most of us are sceptical

ETH too if we are being honest. Biggest blame lays on him.
Some blame needs to lie with EtH I agree but it’s not his fault how badly the board botched that transfer. We could’ve got him for pretty much half the fee earlier in the window but they fecked about all summer and then finally caved right near the deadline, by which point Ajax desperately couldn’t sell

£85,600,000 ….incredible waste of money
It will go down as our worst-ever transfer, beyond a doubt. Never seen such a disparity between money paid and talent in my life. It is a complete corporate failure.
Boards have been sacked for less.

Some blame needs to lie with EtH I agree but it’s not his fault how badly the board botched that transfer. We could’ve got him for pretty much half the fee earlier in the window but they fecked about all summer and then finally caved right near the deadline, by which point Ajax desperately couldn’t sell
ETH wanted to save the money to try and get Dejong , after we wasted all summer on that , we panic bought Antony.
Hard to believe ETH hasn't been sacked for the money wasted in the transfer market alone.
Yes I'm aware the final fees are not specifically his fault, but the quality of our targets has been.

Bail us out Saudi.
We need a cunning delboy (only fools and horses reference) type of plan.

I reckon we get a highlights reel of ronaldinho, superimpose Antony's face over Ronnie's, change the shirts to Utd shirts and send the video to the Saudi's

Job done. Before they know they have been del boy'd, the money will have been wired across. You know it makes sense. This time next week, we won't be millionaires, but we will be rid of Antony.

Cushty

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this guy wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the PL if our former higher ups weren't utter clowns. Awful player. He's essentially a cheap gamble made from the Brazilian league by Ajax, it's their business model after all. They're a selling club. He turns out good and they can make a good profit on him, he flops and he's moved on quietly.

Somehow Murtough paid literally Mo Salah and Neymar levels of money on a player who's not even up to 1% of their ability. Imagine how far those £85m would've gone under the current owners. We aren't getting rid of him anytime soon and his agent already said he wants to stay no matter what. Why wouldn't he, he probably can't believe his luck.

A guy like Giggs shows that you don’t have to be the quickest, or the most skillful, or the most clinical to be a great wide player.
Did you start watching Utd when Giggs 34 or something?

Has to be up there with one of the worst signings ever made in PL history given the fee we paid for him.

Our worst ever signing. Very little quality. Obviously needs to go to a third rate league to make a career for himself but why is he going to leave the fat pay cheque he's getting here?

Is there any chance of him being sold this summer or just wishful thinking?

We should bite the hand off any team that is willing to even offer half of what we paid for him.

Our worst ever signing. Very little quality. Obviously needs to go to a third rate league to make a career for himself but why is he going to leave the fat pay cheque he's getting here?
Somewhere Alexis Sanchez is happy that Utd fans no longer remember him.

Wouldnt a loan be preferable, in case there is a good sum involved and/or the club takes the full wages...

I mean, I agree with everyone here that season 2 was absolutely horrific.. But he has shown signs of class at Ajax, als in the Champions League and also there were promising signs in his first season... There is more to him than where is stock currently is.. Perhaps a loan would bump up his value again and perhaps get some clubs to turn their eyes on him again.. Right now I think you would get so little for him, it would hardly be worth shipping him off almost..

Is there any chance of him being sold this summer or just wishful thinking?

We should bite the hand off any team that is willing to even offer half of what we paid for him.

Wishful thinking , no serious club would pay him half what we are paying him a week or pay us half what we paid for him..

You might get some smaller clubs interested in taking him on loan as long as we pay the majority of his weekly wages.

Half the fee is how much? 50m? ETH had the best info of his actual quality.

Wishful thinking , no serious club would pay him half what we are paying him a week or pay us half what we paid for him..

You might get some smaller clubs interested in taking him on loan as long as we pay the majority of his weekly wages.

INEOS must have been fuming over this deal ever being allowed to happen, then again what do you expect from clowns like Toy Story puppet, his uni sidekick, Arnold and Murtough

Zero point in moving him unless a half decent offer comes in, with Europa we will have a minimum of 31 games by the End of January, not including League Cup/Fa Cup.

That's a lot of football, and with Amad and his previous injuries- his minutes will need to be managed. Of course, we can sell Antony and upgrade but we have more pressing issues at CM/CB/FB. Add on Pellistri looks to be off and Sancho is hopefully being moved on as well.

This was never getting sorted in a year, simply have to hope he unlocks something this year although I'm sure most of us are sceptical
I think unless we can get say, £30m for him, I'd agree with this. In the case we can shift him for that I'd be happy promoting someone - anyone from the youth setup to fill in, if we were unable to sign a proper replacement. Shea Lacey was getting a lot of hype at one point I seem to remember. I'm completely out of touch with the youth these days but I wonder if there's someone there who could take those minutes alongside Amad, Garnacho and even Mount.

This seems very unlikely though, due to him being garbage. So I expect he'll need to fill in this year and be a rotation option. Hopefully he can do well enough to earn a move at that kind of price next year if so. We live in hope ..

Giggs is one of the quickest and most skilful wingers I have seen and he was a good finisher.
Yeah, that was absolutely baffling. Giggs was lighting quick. Even at 39 he was probably faster than current Antony. Early twenties he was one of the fastest around. He was also excellent at going on thenoutside and on the inside. Brilliant and complete as they got.

Yeah, that was absolutely baffling. Giggs was lighting quick. Even at 39 he was probably faster than current Antony. Early twenties he was one of the fastest around. He was also excellent at going on thenoutside and on the inside. Brilliant and complete as they got.

Case in point. Giggs at 39.

Case in point. Giggs at 39.

Love that run - that's pure speed against someone half his age, and then he delivers a perfect cross that they failed to capitalise on. Brilliant player - arguably awful person, but still a brilliant player.
At 20, he was blistering:

"It's like a Mini trying to catch a Porsche" - love that

Slow, one footed, can't dribble, poor stats in assists/goals, poor link up play, slow down the team counter attack, dodgy character, throw a fuss when asked to play LB.

What is he good at?

Slow, one footed, can't dribble, poor stats in assists/goals, poor link up play, slow down the team counter attack, dodgy character, throw a fuss when asked to play LB.

What is he good at?

His only noticeable attribute is occasionally providing workrate off the ball, as in he's decent at tracking back and putting a ''shift'' in. Past that, I'm at a loss.

The worst thing is our own bloody scouts reported that he was incredibly one footed and a £25-30m player at best but the powers that be decided they know better and were under pressure at the end of the transfer window and desperate to give ETH what he wanted. Incredible levels of incompetence.