Antony dos Santos (Out)

Knowing Shaw's injury record, try him at LB? I think he can a job vs smaller team where we expect to play more attacking.

I mean Ashley Young used to play RB for us .

He threw a massive strop in the middle of a game last season when asked to play LB in the last ten minutes. So no I don’t think he’d go for this. Also he’s got the footballing IQ of a baked potato so he’d be crap at it too.

This is uncalled for. Erik has proven repeatedly that he is not Ole or Southgate and has no favorites. He did drop Antony for most of last season, so what makes you think he is hellbent to keep him despite dreadful performances? Erik is no softie. He is not knee-jerk, but definitely not softie either

I am certain that if Antony stays it will only be because of financial reasons and/or nobody wanting him for anything that is workable (both price and wages-wise)
It's one thing benching a player, it's another selling him at a 70% loss (which would be inevitable) 2 years after approving a £85m transfer for the same player.

Well, he’s going to benched for another season and his value will only continue to depreciate. Either sell now or get him loaned out to a shite league where he can play well again and get his PR up for a subsequent sale the season after.

Just sell him. A club like ours shouldn’t have more than two seasons to waste of such a terrible signing. If not possible, loan him out to a Bundesliga team where he’ll get plenty of time and space to increase in market worth.

He's the worst signing of any manager since the post SAF era.

It's certainly an ability issue because as others have stated he does work hard on the pitch so it's not his temperament.

I don't think he has another gear or level where he can improve especially when the system Ten Hag uses requires so much contribution from the wide areas.

The fact he's played 54 times in the Premier League and only has 3 assists is mental.

The fact he's played 54 times in the Premier League and only has 3 assists is mental.

combine that with the 7 from Rashford the past 2 seasons and that probably tells you why we're so dreadful up front. :confused:
It's like nobody told our wingers how to pass the ball :lol:

combine that with the 7 from Rashford the past 2 seasons and that probably tells you why we're so dreadful up front. :confused:
It's like nobody told our wingers how to pass the ball :lol:

Well he can pass, but creating is another matter. Averaged 38 passes per 90 and 80% accuracy. He passes the ball and finds a teammate but plenty of the time its a simple pass to just keep moving the ball rather than trying to put someone in a dangerous position. He does a lot of what I'm sick of seeing from inverted wingers where they get the ball and move inside as the fullback makes a run on the outside. Instead of playing in the fullback to get a cross away they are looking to use the space his run made. And then they think about what to do, can I shoot, can I play a good ball across for someone or pick someone out in a good position.... No I'll pass it back and we'll reset and go again.

He does it and it happens a lot in general with the inverted wingers. Some might argue it helps keep the ball just like when players pass the ball sideways, backwards and go back to the keeper. But if you're a winger your job is to make things happen. Thats where Antony and plenty of other inverted wingers havent done enough. If you are ignoring the effort of the fullback's run you need to get a good shot away or set up a teammate. Else just play the simple pass out to the fullback on the overlap for a cross. Its actually extremely simple if 90% of the time you just wait for the outside run and play them in, a chance to cross with the proper foot and the opposition players have to spend energy constantly tracking back which they dont want to do. So just play the pass and 2 or so times during the match move the ball enough to have a shot yourself. Job done.

No one would be willing to sign him. Considering no one seems to have any money outside of Saudi, he isn't going anywhere

Answers in hand, is there a worse "value for output" transfer in football history than Antony? Felix to Atletico maybe?

Felix actually scored 25 goals for Atletico. Antony has 11 and even less assists. Just think of where we would be right now if ETH hadn't needlessly squandered £155 on Antony and Mount.

Answers in hand, is there a worse "value for output" transfer in football history than Antony? Felix to Atletico maybe?
Nicolas Pepe came to mind, but even he had one season with decent numbers for Arsenal.

He’s value is at an all time low, they won’t sell now.
We must take the hit and move on, it's not like anyone's expecting him to suddenly explote. His value will keep deteriorating as seasons go by, he won't be a starter next season and most likely won't even be first squad choice as I expect Amad or a new coming to claim that spot.

Just sell him. A club like ours shouldn’t have more than two seasons to waste of such a terrible signing. If not possible, loan him out to a Bundesliga team where he’ll get plenty of time and space to increase in market worth.

This is it. Send him on loan where he can rebuild his reputation and we can get a better fee for him.

This is it. Send him on loan where he can rebuild his reputation and we can get a better fee for him.

We cant let every player go on loan - we do actually need some players, even if they aren't good enough. He stays unless we get a good offer for him (which we wont get after that season)

He’s value is at an all time low, they won’t sell now.
Aye, worse time to sell. We'll be lucky to get a tenner between him and rashy
Sunk cost fallacy…

We were all excited when he made his debut, but at the PL level, he offers very little. He’s completely one footed, doesn’t have elite pace or quickness, is subpar in 1v1, is horrendous at finishing, not a great passer/distributor. Watching Pellistri in the Copa, wow, I think I’d rather have him than Antony. Amad is better too. Getting his wages off the books would be smart.

He’s clearly got talent; he was Brazils starting RW not long back, but last season was a disaster for whatever reason.

no point in sending him on loan and paying his wages to play for another club, he can stay and do a job if he gets his act together

No, it's been nothing short of a disaster.

I'm not for writing players off but Anthony leaves little to be desired in even offering some reasonable value in terms of his play and contribution to the team.

He would look a poor signing if the fee was 30 million. Club would have been better off keeping someone like Dan James.

The disappointment at opening this to find it was just a random bump of an old thread :(

Then it’s up to us to tell him he can’t stay if he wants to play football. Time for the club to be ruthless.

Take whatever pennies they off us for him. Just get rid of him. One of the biggest PL flops in terms of transfer fee along with the arsenal winger Nicholas Pepe.

Here's what I don't understand, if we want to actually sell him then why would we not tell him to accept the offer or accept any offer from a club that we accept a fee from as he's surplus to requirements here. Don't sugar coat it, tell him there's no place for him in the team any longer. We need to be ruthless if these players will go, we can't be half arsing it otherwise they'll be happy to stay and pick up their handsome wages.

Already now he's behind Amad as a right wing option and that's with Garnacho not back yet, ETH clearly separate his preferred 11 from the back ups even in preseason games. So he's 3rd choice right winger and rumors are the both of Garnacho and Amad are seen as important part of the new project going forward.
He should be seeking an exit.

Already now he's behind Amad as a right wing option and that's with Garnacho not back yet, ETH clearly separate his preferred 11 from the back ups even in preseason games. So he's 3rd choice right winger and rumors are the both of Garnacho and Amad are seen as important part of the new project going forward.
He should be seeking an exit.

You must be new at this, bruh.

Doesn't matter if Garrincha, Jairzinho and Rivaldo are ahead of him. When the season begins, my Antony shall always play.

You must be new at this, bruh.

Doesn't matter if Garrincha, Jairzinho and Rivaldo are ahead of him. When the season begins, my Antony shall always play.
This wasn't the case last season though, Garnacho was first choice right winger. Antony already lost that standing even with Eth.

I'd be extremely surprised if he gets sold. More so than Sancho even.

There’s no way he is going to be sold, must be nearly 50m left on the books for his transfer fee in terms or PSR and it’s unlikely Besiktas or anyone else would pay a third of that.

I expect him to be loaned out for a couple of seasons before he is sold for token fee.

I think a loan makes sense

For United it’ll hopefully raise his value if he performs in a lesser league away from the United scrutiny

For the loaning club it’s less risk

United probably need to tell Antony to do one for him to actually go

What kind of fee would we even get for him? If it's Besiktas it's probably going to be €10/15 million.

May as well just keep him as an extra body for that kind of fee.