Antony Brazil flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He hasn't shown anything so I agree with you there. But its best for everyone if he goes and shows that somewhere else, like in Saudi.
If you want to sell a house and it's all wrecked, you should try to do it up a bit first to get at least some return. My point is currently it's probably the worst time to sell, we stand to lose an awful lot. He is on a long contract, it's worth the risk to see if he can show a bit more to improve his value.

He is nowhere near good enough for Premier League level. Puts in a shift, but the goods just aren't there. Best hope some Italian or Turkish club come for him. Or maybe the Saudi. Take what you can for him and move on.

Tied with Sancho and Mount for the worst transfer in the history of the club. Just take your pick.

He is nowhere near good enough for Premier League level. Puts in a shift, but the goods just aren't there. Best hope some Italian or Turkish club come for him. Or maybe the Saudi. Take what you can for him and move on.

Tied with Sancho and Mount for the worst transfer in the history of the club. Just take your pick.

The amount wasted on those 3 really is something.

If you want to sell a house and it's all wrecked, you should try to do it up a bit first to get at least some return. My point is currently it's probably the worst time to sell, we stand to lose an awful lot. He is on a long contract, it's worth the risk to see if he can show a bit more to improve his value.
Sunk cost fallacy. We stand to lose a whole lot more having him on the books with his wages, offering nothing on the pitch and plummeting his value even lower, seen Donny VDB for inspiration.

Contracts don't increase in value as they near an end date. Someone out there can be convinced he's just not in the right environment to succeed, let them believe that, get a fee and cut your losses. Don't hang on to a mistake just because you spent time and money making it.

Sunk cost fallacy. We stand to lose a whole lot more having him on the books with his wages, offering nothing on the pitch and plummeting his value even lower, seen Donny VDB for inspiration.

Contracts don't increase in value as they near an end date. Someone out there can be convinced he's just not in the right environment to succeed, let them believe that, get a fee and cut your losses. Don't hang on to a mistake just because you spent time and money making it.
Is there a schmuck on this earth that would pay a viable fee though? I doubt it. If there is then great, absolutely sell.

I think the reality is we're just going to get peanuts which is why I think it's better to hold on to him for now. Instruct ETH to try to get the best out of him, do everything he can to improve his value and then get rid once his stock has risen.

You're going to loan him to us this winter eh?

Wouldn't make sense, we don't have enough cover and he's fine as a body who can chip in with an occasional goal.

Can only see it if there is an obligation to buy which makes the initial outlay sting a little less.

I would be interested to see him moved to LB a la Young / Valencia. He definitely seems to have some of the attributes to do so. It’s just whether he’d be willing to do it to save his United career. If I remember rightly didn’t he have a strop once when asked to play LWB at the end of a game?
Young and Valencia were energetic and powerful runners who put balls into the box. Their games as wingers was simple enough to make the transition to do that. They were also hugely experienced when they made the change and both had spells as captains at fullback for us. They were dependable players week in week out before they fell off.

Antony will never be moved to LB because it’s a terrible idea and not really sure why it gets brought up by people.

I can't believe he's got 16 caps for Brazil. It's not just EtH that is blind it seems.
There were periods where he was one of the better players there, even competing with Raphinha who's now found his feet again. Antony was one of their best players vs Croatia during the world cup when he came on.

Is there a schmuck on this earth that would pay a viable fee though? I doubt it. If there is then great, absolutely sell.

I think the reality is we're just going to get peanuts which is why I think it's better to hold on to him for now. Instruct ETH to try to get the best out of him, do everything he can to improve his value and then get rid once his stock has risen.
This is the Woodward school of thought. He has no value now, he’ll have no value at the end of his contract so just renew the contract and hope he finds some value at some point. Spoiler: he never does and we waste millions in wages.

It’s not worked, he has very little value now, he will have zero value in a few years when he’s played less and regressed even more. Take the peanuts today before we end up paying him to go and play somewhere else like Donny, and everyone else we’ve moved on in recent years.

If Antony was to regain some value he’d be the first player post Fergie to do so. You can’t run a transfer policy on hopes and dreams.

would no Saudi club come in for him, they'd be one of the few that could offer him decent wages. Can't see any team in europe offering him anything close to what we are paying him.

This is the Woodward school of thought. He has no value now, he’ll have no value at the end of his contract so just renew the contract and hope he finds some value at some point. Spoiler: he never does and we waste millions in wages.

It’s not worked, he has very little value now, he will have zero value in a few years when he’s played less and regressed even more. Take the peanuts today before we end up paying him to go and play somewhere else like Donny, and everyone else we’ve moved on in recent years.

If Antony was to regain some value he’d be the first player post Fergie to do so. You can’t run a transfer policy on hopes and dreams.
Like it or not he is an asset to the club, they're not going to sell him for a bag of skips and a mars bar. If they don't get someone that will pay a decent fee he's going to stay. You are leaning on the worst case scenario which is that he just remains shite for years. It should be possible to reinvigorate a Brazilian international who has shown a lot more than what he has currently.

I can't believe he's got 16 caps for Brazil. It's not just EtH that is blind it seems.
His first season here wasn't that bad. We paid double what he was worth but like Maguire, he had no control over that. The stupidest part of the transfer is that he seems a player more suited to possession football rather than direct counter attack which begs the question of why we bought him.

It's been a very very poor transfer but his time at Ajax and his first season here showed he does have some qualities. I did think he might have a chance to set things right this season but evidently not.

To think that Arsenal had an inquest over them signing Pepe, this one is even worse. Him not being as good as we hoped or not having the right mentality is one thing (e.g. Sancho) but there was nothing to suggest that this signing made any sense for anywhere near the fee we paid for him. Even if we paid less than half his price, there would still be questions. YouTube highlights aren't a good way to judge a player but when an attackers YouTube highlights don't even get you remotely excited, there is a worry.

Donnie VB deserves to enter the conversation. He made Mount look like he's contributed plenty.

Fenerbahce 1:1 Man Utd New
I never said this about any United player. I understand the job is hard and pressure must be huge with the weight of that shirt. But I cant stand this lad. A fecking wage thief the likes I've never seen.

Just typical of the way his United career has gone.
Sub in a low profile game, then has what looks like a random injury minutes later.

I never said this about any United player. I understand the job is hard and pressure must be huge with the weight of that shirt. But I cant stand this lad. A fecking wage thief the likes I've never seen.

I feel the same and I've never felt like this about any other United player before.

Weird injury. Looked like he stepped wrong and broke or twisted something.

Loan him in January and get rid for 25/30 million next summer. Just get rid, nothing player and Zirkzee isn’t far behind our the door also if he doesn’t step up his game.

Worst signing in our history and verging on worst player in our history all things considered. Obertan was as useful.

Totally uncalled for. How is he a thief? There have been no reports of him being ill disciplined, not showing up for training etc. AFAIK his attitude hasn't been a problem, he is just not good enough.

The people to blame are the ones who signed him. It's the same people who have spent £600m on dross, and that includes ETH who despite managing him didn't realise that he isn't good enough. That is criminal.

Never like seeing a player going off injured, but it’s a damning indictment that no one will notice that our 86m pound man is missing.

Obviously, hope he's fine. At the same time, it's very telling that a player with his price tag had to get stretchered off the pitch and there's no overwhelming concern about how we're going to cope with his absence. He's just making up the numbers. No real reason he should have been on the pitch in the first place.

Loan him in January and get rid for 25/30 million next summer. Just get rid, nothing player and Zirkzee isn’t far behind our the door also if he doesn’t step up his game.
He’s contacted until 2027 @ £10m per year wages ….nobody will touch him with a barge pole

He’s contacted until 2027 @ £10m per year wages ….nobody will touch him with a barge pole
:mad: do the people in charge not consider "what if this unproven 22 year old Dutch league winger flops? Maybe 10 a million a year isn't a good idea" clowns