Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt mind him today. His crossing will be fine once he gets all of his confidence to take on FBs back. He's slowly getting there.

His crossing is consistently crap now. But in generally as a team we just can't cross. Bring Nani back quick.

I didnt mind him today. His crossing will be fine once he gets all of his confidence to take on FBs back. He's slowly getting there.

We're Manchester United, we shouldn't be 'minding' that .. it is simply not good enough.

At what point during the longest shit spell ever for a footballer are people going to stop going "he'll be fine, just needs to find x, y, z again"?

We're Manchester United, we shouldn't be 'minding' that .. it is simply not good enough.

Oh trust me, we have been 'minding' lots and lots and lots of worse shite in the past. Plus you make it sound like he just walks around being a liability for all those years since he's been here. He was really good in the first few seasons before his horrendous injure, which gives me enough reason to be patient.

His main problem remains that he is such a one dimensional player and if he isn't capable of beating his man through sheer pace and brining in a cross he doesn't have anything else to offer. Maybe it's really time to make a fullback out of him and start either Nani or Zaha on the wing instead of him.

Nani, the flawless crosser.

Nani is actually a quality crosser, his issue has been actually getting him to cross as he usually ball hogs it.. I'd rather have that then the shite produced by having Tony V in the side.

You thinking that him starting over those 2 players being baffling is far more baffling.

Yeah Valencia should continue to start over then despite being shite for more than a year now. No way can either of them be any worse than Valencia at the very least

He needs to spend time out of the squad his performances just aren't good enough. He's had enough time to rediscover his best form but iv barely seen a game where he showed a glimpse of his former self.

He's no way near as one footed as Valencia is and he's a lot better on his left foot than Valencia is one his right anyway.

Well I'd say they're both extremely one footed. Giggs has always played impossible passes with the outside of his left rather than a simple one with his right. He's played for about 30 years so I'm sure there are more instances of him using his weaker foot. Valencia's one footedness wasn't a concern when he was tearing everyone apart, I don't see why it's the major concern with his performances.

Oh trust me, we have been 'minding' lots and lots and lots of worse shite in the past. Plus you make it sound like he just walks around being a liability for all those years since he's been here. He was really good in the first few seasons before his horrendous injure, which gives me enough reason to be patient.

He's shot, he was a good player before but never in the top bracket of world class, now he's just holding us back and yes I consider him a liability going forward as a lot of our attacks break down with having him in the side.

His main problem remains that he is such a one dimensional player and if he isn't capable of beating his man through sheer pace and brining in a cross he doesn't have anything else to offer. Maybe it's really time to make a fullback out of him and start either Nani or Zaha on the wing instead of him.

Genuinely think that might have to happen. At the very least we need someone on the other side who will be contributing a lot more to attack. It would be fair enough if we had Valencia on the right providing really good defensive cover and a decent outlet, capable of being devastating on the counter, if we had someone on the other side who was a massive threat but maybe a bit defensively questionable. At the moment though when it's Valencia and Giggs/Welbeck/Young there's just not enough of a threat to compensate.

Well I'd say they're both extremely one footed. Giggs has always played impossible passes with the outside of his left rather than a simple one with his right. He's played for about 30 years so I'm sure there are more instances of him using his weaker foot. Valencia's one footedness wasn't a concern when he was tearing everyone apart, I don't see why it's the major concern with his performances.

It was always an aspect of his game that you'd hope he would improve, as I said I don't think Giggs is as one footed but either way he was a lot better than Valencia anyway. But now its a massive problem because he's unwilling to take people on, on the outside unless it's on a counter and he's been left in acres of space, and so he's being forced inside where his lack of ability/willingness to use his left is slowing the attack down and costing us chances.

He's shot, he was a good player before but never in the top bracket of world class, now he's just holding us back and yes I consider him a liability going forward as a lot of our attacks break down with having him in the side.

I'm sure he'll get to double digits assists from crosses this season, and maybe score 3-4. From a winger, that's a decent bar for me.

I'll save your post and we'll see what happens at mid/end of the season. It's not like there's anything you or me armchair managers can do about it.

Aside from the pull back to Rooney his final ball was abysmal today.

As an offensive player he's limited, for whatever reason if you can't find your form in a year its not going to suddenly return - look at Torres. Convert him to a rightback. Its time Zaha and Nani were given more starts.

The problem is Valencia does 1 thing going forwards. He makes room for a cross by running with the ball and then he crosses.

If his crossing is good like the season before last, he's done well. If his crossing is terrible like the last year or so and early days at United, then doing the first part is virtually meaningless. It would be a bit different if he was like the modern "winger" and had some variety to his play. Making good runs off the line like even Young today, moving into dangerous central positions like Hazard, Mata, Oscar, even Nani has done it before. Or having a dangerous shot from the edge of the box like they all have. But no, Valencia has one method of attack. Run with the ball and cross it. So he needs to sort it out... Plus why hasnt he developed these other skills in his time here?

Does he even have a final ball?

Seems to me it's just a case of smashing in a low cross and hoping for the best.

Yeah and Young just does his looped in swinger. Neither really looking to pick anyone out, certainly not consistently enough. Really need to sort out the wide areas soon but it's a bit worrying now with City coming up. If Kagawa doesn't get a game in the CL there's no way he'll play. I reckon Welbeck is a cert for one flank and so unless Moyes includes Nani we could really be struggling for creativity again.

He really isn't up for it. I hope Moyes plays him considerably less frequently as the season goes on.

Should only be picked in certain games to help do a job defensively, ala Park. And even then I'd rather Welbeck.

Does he even have a final ball?

Seems to me it's just a case of smashing in a low cross and hoping for the best.

Yeh tbf once I posted it I realised the "today" was unnecessary. It was particularly bad today though because he seemed to put fecking loads of balls in. I'd love to see the stats.

Real shame what's happened to Valencia :(

Don't think his best will ever return and we might need to look at replacing him at the end of the season. IIRC though he started his good seasons slowly as well so hopefully he picks up like he did then.

His crossing was dire today. Seems to have lost the whipped cross from his repertoire. Everything is now a hope for the best, smashed low cross which usually finds the defender. The only benefit United have with Valencia operating on the right side is defensive solidity and width with scant offensive end product. The fact he was subbed against Chelsea means I hope Moyes is not going to tolerate this in the short and medium term.

Dean Moxey had him in his pocket today I thought. He must be so easy to defend against because you always know what he's going to do.

Like Anderson, could find himself entering his final season at the club, unfortunately.

I don't know whats happened to him, but he's definitely suffering on the pitch. He offers very little going forward, from what I can see.

based on current form even januzaj would be a better option on the right. imagine him cutting inside and use his preferred left foot. zaha should also get his chance sooner than later now.

Dean Moxey had him in his pocket today I thought. He must be so easy to defend against because you always know what he's going to do.

I don't think that's true in the slightest. Valencia got in down the right over and over again. Had Valencia been able to cross a football we'd have had a hat full today.

I don't think that's true in the slightest. Valencia got in down the right over and over again. Had Valencia been able to cross a football we'd have had a hat full today.

Exactly, he did most things right (linking up, creating space, running, defending) except the crosses. All he did was hammer them low and it wouldn't even be a pb if the areas he was targeting weren't covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.