Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was decent today but we didn't make enough of the 2v1 opportunities we had down that side which I don't think would have been an issue if Rafael had been fit.

Him and Jones aren't a good combination as neither of them can really whip the ball across so we rely on getting in behind and then it's not easy to beat the near post.

No idea why so many are criticizing him today. I was one of his biggest critics last year but I thought he did really well today. Good on the ball, beat cole relatively easily a few times and helped immensely to nullify hazards threat. Final ball could have been a bit better on occasion but still doesn't take away from the performance overall.

No idea why so many are criticizing him today. I was one of his biggest critics last year but I thought he did really well today. Good on the ball, beat cole relatively easily a few times and helped immensely to nullify hazards threat. Final ball could have been a bit better on occasion but still doesn't take away from the performance overall.

I feel he was wasteful with the few good situations we had in the game. Lacks decisiveness.

Could he actually be an option as a ball winning central midfielder? I think the winger he most resembles at this point may be Owen Hargreaves

I feel like he's far far too one footed to play centrally.

Obviously most players tend to favour one foot over the other but I feel he does that far too much to be viable in that area of the park. It would render him too predictable.

Obviously most players tend to favour one foot over the other but I feel he does that far too much to be viable in that area of the park. It would render him too predictable.

Luis Antonio "270 degree turn" Valencia.

He'd be so much more capable if he just realised he has a left foot. Even his predictable wing displays would be spiced up a bit if he didn't have to spend 30 seconds pirouetting just to pass it back to the fullback with his right foot.

He was a beast for the first 30 minutes yesterday - to the point where I thought we were in store for the great return of Tony V... then he seemed to slowly fade to the point where he hit a quite awful pass straight to John Terry when we had a promising break on. Still, a decent performance to build on, though I feel I've been saying that for a while now...

Hmm that might be true actually

For all the people saying he cannot play centrally, I think it is worth noting he plays as a central midfielder for Ecuador - not an attacking midfielder, but a genuine central midfielder in a 2 or 3 man midfield. I think he plays there more often than on the wing, although I could be wrong.

Edit: Not that I think he should play in central midfield for us. I'm sure he'd do well, but playing in midfield in the Premier League is different to playing in midfield vs Peru, & I still have hope he's going to go back to his 2011/2012 season form.

Young is getting a lot of stick but this guy's offering less and less each match - if anything his confidence is getting worse. I'd rather see Zaha on the right in a game like today.

It'd be better to have Scholes on the right, because he's currently just providing a pivot for the full back; except the pivot is restricted to one direction.

Very quiet so far, was hoping he would continue with his recent decent form.

Just not in the game at all.

He has been poor for a while now.

Good squad player but I'd like to see Nani, Zaha and Januzaj getting games ahead of Young and Valencia.

I can see why they're both picked as they offer more defensively than the other 3 but is it wrong to want a bit of excitement from our wing play?

B
What did he do today? He's nothing on what he used to be as a player.
As much as young was criticised today he was far better than Valencia. At least he tried stuff. Valencia looks a shadow of his former self. The most useful aspect of his game right now is his "battling" abilities.

I just think he was absolutely fine today.

What did he do until the final moments of the game where he has a huge amount of space to run in to? When the other team is organised he's doing very little.

What did he do today? He's nothing on what he used to be as a player.

He looked alright to me in the first 20 minutes or so when most of the action or play was on his side. Things seemed to switch over to the left hand side then though and for the majority of the remainder of the game. In the 2nd half he did pull a nice ball into the box to Rooney who on another day might have buried it. Over all I wouldn't say he had a bad game at all.

Valencia is just plain rubbish nowadays. How he keeps on starting ahead of the likes of Zaha/Januzaj is baffling

At doing nothing?

I think the issue is that these aren't the games that make full use of what he offers. He worked well with Fabio, he came inside in the second half to get involved in the game. He put in some dangerous crosses, most of which didn't result in much. Like I said, he was fine and certainly not worthy of being called "awful."

I'm not sure how people can say he looked fine, other than the pass to Rooney he was unable to do anything with the football. How does that constitute as "fine" from a Man Utd winger exactly?
I think the issue is that these aren't the games that make full use of what he offers. He worked well with Fabio, he came inside in the second half to get involved in the game. He put in some dangerous crosses, most of which didn't result in much. Like I said, he was fine and certainly not worthy of being called "awful."

I think the issue is that he was shit and didn't offer anything, he had plenty of the ball.

Think we've seen the best of him as a player and won't get back to how good he was a couple seasons ago. I'm still baffled as to how someone can get paid that much money and have no left foot whatsoever. He backs himself into corners often because he only insists on using his right.

He has made a startling transformation from most effective winger In the premier league to the current performance. Is most bizarre

Think we've seen the best of him as a player and won't get back to how good he was a couple seasons ago. I'm still baffled as to how someone can get paid that much money and have no left foot whatsoever. He backs himself into corners often because he only insists on using his right.

Ask Ryan Giggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.