Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. He is a winger. A winger should be good attacking wise. On one side we had Robben and Ribery. On the other side we had Valencia. I am not questioning his attitude or anything. He gave his everything, and kept on running. But is he really the quality that United should have in the team? I don't think so.

I agree with the Robben/Ribery comparison. They link up with their surrounding players much better. The key word though is surrounding. United must be the only team that thinks, "great, a winger running down the line - let him do just that and we'll sit back and see how it pans out." There is no support from midfielders, no runs into the box. He has two choices - use the fullbacks overlap or try to go past the defender. He was poor at the first today, but it only happened twice, and he did the second very well, but there were few players for that even. United are rubbish at helping out their wingers, especially Valencia. It seems they think that he has so much pace and power, he surely must make it past and put in yet another cross that we are not ready for anyhow, even if it should happen to be a good one, which is a long shot.

Brilliant game, caused Alaba who is arguably the best left back in the world endless problems. Great hold up play, got past the defenders, and picked out good passes. Along with doing well defensively. He's been very good on the whole recently IMO. He was shite for the first half of the season and last season, but he's really picked it up. Fair play to him. Seems to play a lot better (like everyone else) when we play kagawa in the team and go for a more fluid approach, rather then Rooney in the hole.

And for what it's worth, I think his cross for Evra was a bit fortuitous. I don't think he intended that looking at the shape of the curve the ball took.

Rooney? Wasn't he garbage tonight?
He was. I'm pointing out at players that were supposedly responsible for our attacks. Kagawa bottled the final passes in the final third that could so easily have been goals. 1 in the first half, one in the second. I agree he tried at least.

I agree with the Robben/Ribery comparison. They link up with their surrounding players much better. The key word though is surrounding. United must be the only team that thinks, "great, a winger running down the line - let him do just that and we'll sit back and see how it pans out." There is no support from midfielders, no runs into the box. He has two choices - use the fullbacks overlap or try to go past the defender. He was poor at the first today, but it only happened twice, and he did the second very well, but there were few players for that even. United are rubbish at helping out their wingers, especially Valencia. It seems they think that he has so much pace and power, he surely must make it past and put in yet another cross that we are not ready for anyhow, even if it should happen to be a good one, which is a long shot.
Tbh, he was quite poor in the first half. Made a lot of mistakes, but I jut don't want to elaborate considering the time right now.

In short, I wouldn't mind him as a back up, as he can provide a plan B and fill in as a RB as well. But if we are still looking at him as a first choice, then it's a no-go.

Factor in the amount of the ball we saw and I'm sure those stats look impressive.

Factor in how much of the ball he had, its not. He had our 2nd most touches after Phil Jones. Isnt he supposed to be going past the fullback and trying to create something? He was also, somehow our most offside player.

He was fine, involved in our attacks, made some ground, at other times too slow to release the ball or chose the wrong option. The usual really.

I'm by no means his biggest fan, but that was a very impressive performance tonight against arguably the finest left back in world football. One of our top performers on the night and evidence that the criticism he has received this season is somewhat unjustified.

I still think he can be a very useful player for us and provide a unique option compared to what else we have in the squad. Reason why I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Nani leave instead of Valencia.

And for what it's worth, I think his cross for Evra was a bit fortuitous. I don't think he intended that looking at the shape of the curve the ball took.
It was a perfect cross, if only Kagawa decided to make a movement of any sorts. It landed perfectly in an uncovered position, 5 yards in front of Kagawa who was standing still. He took their whole defence with that cross which enabled Evra to have a chance.

Factor in how much of the ball he had, its not. He had our 2nd most touches after Phil Jones. Isnt he supposed to be going past the fullback and trying to create something? He was also, somehow our most offside player.

He was fine, involved in our attacks, made some ground, at other times too slow to release the ball or chose the wrong option. The usual really.

Valencia can be proud of his performance tonight. Very good performance and great assist.

I thought he was very poor. His assist for Evra was a dogshit cross when he had 3 players in space to aim for in the box and it went through the middle of all of them. Admittedly, he doesn't get much help but he could still be a lot better.

He frustrated me tonight. Thought he saw the ball more than any of our other player's, yet he was consistently wasteful.

He's clueless with the ball most of the time. He just runs, and doesn't really have any idea what to do next.

I thought Valencia was great tonight, especially if we're comparing it to his previous performances this season. Although he could have been more decisive in the final third, he was constantly a counter threat, held it up well and definitely caused Bayern some problems.

Anyone who is slagging him off tonight either doesn't have a clue or has some sort of agenda/Tony Hate - quality performance.

Thought he was good. Obviously wasn't the perfect performance but he was one of our best. If he can find some form in the last few games of the year then I'd consider keeping him. He still has assets.

Anyone who is slagging him off tonight either doesn't have a clue or has some sort of agenda/Tony Hate - quality performance.
Yeah after today it's blatantly just slagging him off because they have a picture of him that they can't get rid of, no matter how well Valencia plays. Today he was genuinely excellent all the way through. Held on to the ball, beat the fullback a decent amount of times, got an assist, picked out the right pass and helped relieve pressure better then anyone (along with Kagawa). Also was great for winning headers and defensively.

Most key passes for a tem with <40% possession (2 tied with Fletch), most successful dribbles (2) including the one he created the goal from beating Bayern's entire left flank, 4th highest interceptions (allt he toehrs were CMs & wingbacks), 3rd highest PA (77%) from 2nd highest passes (30 vs 31) - naw he was shit tonight I hear!

Most key passes for a tem with <40% possession (2 tied with Fletch), most successful dribbles (2) including the one he created the goal from beating Bayern's entire left flank, 4th highest interceptions (allt he toehrs were CMs & wingbacks), 3rd highest PA (77%) from 2nd highest passes (30 vs 31) - naw he was shit tonight I hear!
Rooney passed to him in the first half after fighting off one of the midfielders within our half. Valencia got the ball right in his feet, turned and within even looking sideways ran, clattering into one of the defenders. Had he glanced on his left, Rooney was almost in his line, free of any defenders to receive the ball.
Missed a simple clearance in the first half, because of which the ball went to Ribery. Fortunately for us, he didn't do much, otherwise it could have been worse.
Got a ball in the inside right channel, and within even noticing anyone else, starts running without even having control of the ball, and thus resulting in losing of possession in a good area.

These are just three. I can mention much more, but I just don't want to nitpick.

Rooney passed to him in the first half after fighting off one of the midfielders within our half. Valencia got the ball right in his feet, turned and within even looking sideways ran, clattering into one of the defenders. Had he glanced on his left, Rooney was almost in his line, free of any defenders to receive the ball.
Missed a simple clearance in the first half, because of which the ball went to Ribery. Fortunately for us, he didn't do much, otherwise it could have been worse.
Got a ball in the inside right channel, and within even noticing anyone else, starts running without even having control of the ball, and thus resulting in losing of possession in a good area.

These are just three. I can mention much more, but I just don't want to nitpick.

Come on CRW, he had a decent game yesterday. He did well in general. Yes he has this habit of running into blind alleys but I don't expect a great deal more from him than what he has given today. I think he is starting to prove useful again as a squad player. Now to just ship off Young and get a top notch winger in his place.

Come on CRW, he had a decent game yesterday. He did well in general. Yes he has this habit of running into blind alleys but I don't expect a great deal more from him than what he has given today. I think he is starting to prove useful again as a squad player. Now to just ship off Young and get a top notch winger in his place.
I don't really know. I want him to do well, but at least in the first half, I just couldn't find a reason. Those were three glaring ones that I just couldn't miss. I just don't want him to become our Dirk Kuyt. :(

I don't really know. I want him to do well, but at least in the first half, I just couldn't find a reason. Those were three glaring ones that I just couldn't miss. I just don't want him to become our Dirk Kuyt. :(

I remember at least two of the ones you had mentioned. Received the ball from Rooney and instead of giving it back to him when Rooney was free after making a run, he ran towards the byline knowing full well that he did not have any support even if he did manage to run foward. He lost possession almost immediately though. Did my head in that time. But he improved in the second half.

As I said, I don't expect a great deal more from him nowadays. He can be a useful squad player now. I have often flip-flopped between who to get rid of between him and Young. I have to say that over the last month or so, it seems Young is by far the easier to cull between the two.

I don't think everyone appreciates his hard work enough. It's not just about running with the ball and crossing. He shoulders a lot of the burden. All our goal kicks and clearances have been towards him. WHY? because he's the strongest attacker who can win headers and try to convert a clearances into an attack. He would definitely be on my team when we are playing against any team that will keep the lion share of possession not because of his crossing ability or dribbling ability but because of his hard work. He might not be the best winger in the world but he runs all the time, puts in a shift, always challenges for the ball and as quick as a player can get. When we are going to be defending most of the time, he simply has to start. Sad thing is he's more comfortable fighting for the ball rather than creating something. Which kind of suits the scenario like today.

Today valencia was immense. He completely dominated Alaba and even went past a few players once or twice and put in a decent cross. If you don't appreciate his game today then you probably never will.

Kuyt chipped in with goals

I don't think everyone appreciates his hard work enough. It's not just about running with the ball and crossing. He shoulders a lot of the burden. All our goal kicks and clearances have been towards him. WHY? because he's the strongest attacker who can win headers and try to convert a clearances into an attack. He would definitely be on my team when we are playing against any team that will keep the lion share of possession not because of his crossing ability or dribbling ability but because of his hard work. He might not be the best winger in the world but he runs all the time, puts in a shift, always challenges for the ball and as quick as a player can get. When we are going to be defending most of the time, he simply has to start. Sad thing is he's more comfortable fighting for the ball rather than creating something. Which kind of suits the scenario like today.

Today valencia was immense. He completely dominated Alaba and even went past a few players once or twice and put in a decent cross. If you don't appreciate his game today then you probably never will.

I understand your sentiment, but he was definitely not immense. Moreover, if we want to get back to the pinnacle and aspire to be like the Bayern/Real/Barca of this world, we have to move away from the "he is needed because he works hard and is strong" sentiment that we have towards players. It's like we are stuck in a world where skill becomes secondary to how much you can run or how strong you are. Those two are obviously nice traits to have but should not be the primary one. Which of the Bayern players are in that category of plus points you mentioned for Valencia? I would say none. They all work hard but they are primarily there due to their ability in their own position. Not because they run around all day.

Anyway, I have mentioned that he could be a decent squad player but I would want us to be in a position where we can actually not have to play him because of his physical attributes and let the other team worry about us by playing skillful wingers who may not be as physically dominating as Valencia.

I know what you mean. He cannot play like the other world class players and they are better than him. But in an underdog team where we'll not see much of the ball and will have to fight for scraps, he's the kind of player you should have. He's definitely not the guy to make us world class. You cannot expect united to play like Bayern against Bayern when we have been extremely poor for the whole of the season. If we are having a system and personnel overhaul, then he'll have to leave. Simple as that. I just stated that he had a very good game when most of our players fell short.

I remember at least two of the ones you had mentioned. Received the ball from Rooney and instead of giving it back to him when Rooney was free after making a run, he ran towards the byline knowing full well that he did not have any support even if he did manage to run foward. He lost possession almost immediately though. Did my head in that time. But he improved in the second half.

As I said, I don't expect a great deal more from him nowadays. He can be a useful squad player now. I have often flip-flopped between who to get rid of between him and Young. I have to say that over the last month or so, it seems Young is by far the easier to cull between the two.
Yup. As a back up/Plan B, he can be a decent option. Also, he can fill in as a make shift RB, but we shouldn't be looking to persist with him as a first team option anymore.

I know what you mean. He cannot play like the other world class players and they are better than him. But in an underdog team where we'll not see much of the ball and will have to fight for scraps, he's the kind of player you should have. He's definitely not the guy to make us world class. You cannot expect united to play like Bayern against Bayern when we have been extremely poor for the whole of the season. If we are having a system and personnel overhaul, then he'll have to leave. Simple as that. I just stated that he had a very good game when most of our players fell short.

That's what I pointed out. You said you want him in your team against the other big boys even now. I am saying, let's scrap that and move towards a skill based system than a hardworking player based one. I cannot remember a time when United had such an awful set of wingers. The one who could actually be good is injured half the time and the ones who play are the most god awful ones.

It is unfair to say he kept losing the ball in the first half, considering there was no bloody movement from united players! He had very very little to work with.

He was decent tonight, let's see if he continues to be decent for the rest of the season.

He actually showed some desire tonight, rather than skulking round the pitch like some angry teenager.

It is unfair to say he kept losing the ball in the first half, considering there was no bloody movement from united players! He had very very little to work with.
Still, unlike Kagawa or Welbeck, he couldnt keep hold of the ball. I thought he didnt play well last night

He had a dog shit performance in the first half. His assist for Evra is the best piece of wing play I have seen of Valencia in 2 seasons.

From that point onwards, Valencia turned it on and gave Alaba a horrid time. He was rubbish for the first 55 mins, excellent in the last 35 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.