Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing I could criticize him for yesterday was almost getting himself sent off, because 95% of refs would give him a second yellow, some even a red for that tackle. We got let off lightly there, and Valencia has been prone to giving away stupid fouls this season but he was good overall.

As bad as people always say Valencia is, he's one of the first names you put down for games like yesterday.

Works hard, very committed, and doesn't let anyone down on these.

No one was especially threatening yesterday, so hard to just say Valencia wasn't.

Played well. Happy for him. I don't think he should be sold - he's definitely a very good squad player to have. Versatility and his one-dimensional play can be effective in certain scenarios.

Predictable as anything, was pretty poor going forward but defensively he had a near perfect game. I've never been a fan of defensive wingers but he was important last night and should start next week too.

Perfect squad player to bring on in the last 20 mins of a game when you're looking to see a game out and be more defensively solid.

Shouldn't be a started at a club like United.

Remember him?

That game was such a shame, absolutely destroyed them to go 3-0 up then Rooney injured.

Still can't work out what Carrick was doing for their first goal, but even then he's jammed it in from a tough angle.

And Rafael, that one was horrific, just let him run!

Even then it took that ridiculous Robben hit.

What a stunner of a game, so much different from yesterday!

That game was such a shame, absolutely destroyed them to go 3-0 up then Rooney injured.

Still can't work out what Carrick was doing for their first goal, but even then he's jammed it in from a tough angle.

As for Valencia, on that second goal, we've seen that before, the delay, and then just smashing one hard across the box. Luckily Nani was there to make it look a sensational ball.

Still don't think that was a yellow, incredibly harsh sending off. Ribery's reaction if anything warranted more of a card than Rafael giving him a little tug.

Still don't think that was a yellow, incredibly harsh sending off. Ribery's reaction if anything warranted more of a card than Rafael giving him a little tug.

Yeah Ribery's reaction was ridiculous, double handed shove and sneer. Horrible little man, massively overrated. One of those players it's hard to remember playing well, a bit like Ibrahimovic before he smashed England that time.

As bad as people always say Valencia is, he's one of the first names you put down for games like yesterday.

Works hard, very committed, and doesn't let anyone down on these.

No one was especially threatening yesterday, so hard to just say Valencia wasn't.
It was probably the first time this season he's played well in a 'big game'. He's mostly been garbage in them.

What a goal that was by Nani. And Gibson didn't look as out of place in a CL game as Fellaini has looked so far. :lol:

Only thing I could criticize him for yesterday was almost getting himself sent off, because 95% of refs would give him a second yellow, some even a red for that tackle. We got let off lightly there, and Valencia has been prone to giving away stupid fouls this season but he was good overall.
And they would be dimwits to do that. Ridiculous how people can't see it was an ordinary coming together. Just because their player happened to suffer more from it (or that his reaction suggested that) doesn't mean it was Valencia's faul. Actually Valencia was the one who pulled his studs off the tackle.

I never understand why he isn't tried in central midfield. he has every attribute there apart from a crisp passing range, but even that could be handled by carrick.

For everybody complaining about fellainis lack of mobility, he has everything to make up for that.

I never understand why he isn't tried in central midfield. he has every attribute there apart from a crisp passing range, but even that could be handled by carrick.

Just because he is so utterly one sided, and in the middle of the park that becomes much more of a problem.

For everybody complaining about fellainis lack of mobility, he has everything to make up for that.

No left foot.

I think I feel "safe" when we play him. I don't expect him to create or score out of nothing or produce a moment of brilliance anymore. But I feel that he will not let us down with his defensive duties. So in such big games, he can be a useful asset.

@ blasphemy Just like Maradona had a right foot. He's plays more of a central role for Ecuador and is very good, one of the main reasons they qualified for world cup in a very difficult field.

Funny how his right footedness/one dimensionality was never a problem when he was our side's top player.

@ blasphemy Just like Maradona had a right foot. He's plays more of a central role for Ecuador and is very good, one of the main reasons they qualified for world cup in a very difficult field.

Funny how his right footedness/one dimensionality was never a problem when he was our side's top player.

I'd suggest Maradona perhaps brings the odd extra skill than Valencia to the table to compensate for it.

Being one-footed hasn't stopped Giggs putting in a lot of great performances in central midfield.

Never been a huge fan of Giggs in midfield to be honest. He has as many bad games as good.

He was that good while playing right wing for us. Not CM which was being discussed.

Exactly what I've said numerous times on here. He's brilliant centrally for Ecuador. I think their last game I saw was against Colombia away. He was pinging the ball to the wings with both feet as well as providing a monstruous presence in the middle of the midfield three. Those surging runs of his are laughably good.

Being one-footed hasn't stopped Giggs putting in a lot of great performances in central midfield.

Its not just about being one-footed per se. Giggs is physically flexible and able to open his body out, which gives him a wider range of directions from his favoured foot. Plus Giggs has a lovely outside of the foot pass, to curve it the other way.

Tony V has a very closed body shape, and even playing a side footed pass straight ahead seems out of his comfort zone. He seems much happier hooking balls leftwards across his body with his right foot, curving most of them. He occasionally plays outside of the foot passes, but not to great effect (that I can recall off the top of my head).

That's just Giggs being Giggs. He's always been a hot and cold player but when he's on his game he's fantastic. Unless you're implying he was more consistent on the wing than in the centre? Not sure I agree.

Feels wrong to criticize Giggsy. But to be honest 168 goals in 962 games is probably a good indicator of his inconsistency. For a player who most of his career was on the attacking edge of things, his shooting and passing was always a little too wayward.

Of course about 150 of those goals were probably stunners...

That's just Giggs being Giggs. He's always been a hot and cold player but when he's on his game he's fantastic. Unless you're implying he was more consistent on the wing than in the centre? Not sure I agree.

In his early years he was probably more consistent on the wing than he's ever been in midfield.

When he plays in midfield Giggs plays a super high risk/reward game. He goes for the hollywood ball constantly so sometimes he looks a genius with two assists and other times (arguably most of the time) he just gives the ball away a lot and doesn't contribute much defensively.

Like I said never been a fan of Giggs in midfield but he's clearly had good games I don't dispute that.

Feels wrong to criticize Giggsy. But to be honest 168 goals in 962 games is probably a good indicator of his inconsistency. For a player who most of his career was on the attacking edge of things, his shooting and passing was always a little too wayward.

Of course about 150 of those goals were probably stunners...

Yeah, mockney's gone on some crusades reminding everyone that for a player as highly thought of as Giggs he's always struggled for consistency. He has a point too. Used to be put down to injuries but even after he sorted out his hammies you could never be sure which version of Giggs would turn up on the day. Don't think the position he plays makes any difference tbh.

Your previous point about Giggs being that bit more flexible than Valencia in terms of passing options with his stronger foot is a good one. Not many top CMs are one-footed. I keep hearing about Valencia playing centrally for Ecuador but never watched him do it with my own eyes.

Yeah, mockney's gone on some crusades reminding everyone that for a player as highly thought of as Giggs he's always struggled for consistency. He has a point too. Used to be put down to injuries but even after he sorted out his hammies you could never be sure which version of Giggs would turn up on the day. Don't think the position he plays makes any difference tbh.

Your previous point about Giggs being that bit more flexible than Valencia in terms of passing options with his stronger foot is a good one. Not many top CMs are one-footed. I keep hearing about Valencia playing centrally for Ecuador but never watched him do it with my own eyes.

No, it's not like he plays centrally, rather pretty much how he does for United but with much more freedom to drift inside and is much more central to Ecuador's attack. Here's a video of pretty much how he plays and how important he is to them. Check out about 4 or 5 amazing Scholses-esque passes.

He has the physical qualities to play in the DM role, kind of what people are hoping for with Caravlho. To be honest, his short passing is alright, he's just a terrible crosser of the ball. Moyes should try him in this sort of role in one of the forthcoming league games:

Valencia
Carrick - Kagawa
Mata - - - - - - - Welbeck
Rooney
He's got great energy, in fairness. Could work.

Some might say that he showed spirit and enthusiasm when going for that tackle. It was a bit of adrenaline going on since we were kind of pressing and the fans were screaming their lungs out. But yeah he's been giving silly fouls and he's picked many cards lately. Him, Rafael and Fellaini give fouls way to easily as of late especially the latter 2

He has the physical qualities to play in the DM role, kind of what people are hoping for with Caravlho. To be honest, his short passing is alright, he's just a terrible crosser of the ball. Moyes should try him in this sort of role in one of the forthcoming league games:

Valencia
Carrick - Kagawa
Mata - - - - - - - Welbeck
Rooney
He's got great energy, in fairness. Could work.
He fouls far too much when in those positions, could be a risky person to play there. Much better to just buy an actual midfielder, rather than placing random people there such as Jones and Rooney.

He fouls far too much when in those positions, could be a risky person to play there. Much better to just buy an actual midfielder, rather than placing random people there such as Jones and Rooney.

You could see the logic with playing Jones there and possibly even Rooney but Valencia ??? I agree with the idea to play players in their right positions, as obvious as it sounds.

He looked very confident tonight - his best performance in a while. He looked like the Valencia of 11/12, to an extent.

He was excellent. Thread slower to be bumped than it would if he was shite.

What a performance. And that's not a "What a performance by this version of Valencia"... that's a "What a performance by the Valencia of 2/3 years ago" level of performance.... He was superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.