Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute nonsense. As I said.

Did you not watch the games against Villa? Or Leverkusen?

Villa I will grant you but he was up against Luna for Christ sake who is the only defender he has faced this season that didn't know to show him onto his left peg and despite Valencia's so called pace he's the only player this season not able to keep up or get ahead of him.

As for Leverkusen, you've chosen a game where stats back him up again (he scored iirc and maybe had an assist?) and completely ignore his opposition being absolutely dire.

Two games. Pretty much every other left back has had him in their pocket all season.

I'm genuinely at loss as to what you think you've seen from him. He's limited in every technical and mental aspect of the game. He has no positive impact on our games, creates nothing and constantly slows down our play with his 270 degree turns and pass back to our right back or lofted crosses and to be honest I'm starting to feel sorry for the left back's shins as they constantly bravely sacrifice them as they stand still and let him blast the ball as hard as he can at them.

what I love about the Caf is that some people seem to have such brilliant memories about games. I mean...sure I watch them...but it becomes a bit of a haze later. Do some people on here right notes....so that they can spout wisdom and facts later on the caf? :)

Villa I will grant you but he was up against Luna for Christ sake who is the only defender he has faced this season that didn't know to show him onto his left peg and despite Valencia's so called pace he's the only player this season not able to keep up or get ahead of him.

As for Leverkusen, you've chosen a game where stats back him up again (he scored iirc and maybe had an assist?) and completely ignore his opposition being absolutely dire.

Two games.

Two games. That's right. Two games in which he was a constant threat throughout. Creating and scoring goals and putting the opposition on the back foot.

Yet people still posted nonsense like this after both of those games.

Go back to any of his "good games" and you'll see a whole host of posts saying "have our standards dropped that much that we are now commending Valencia on a performance like that?"

And it's true.

I'm not even saying he's having a good fecking season. He hasn't. What he has done, though, is put in at least two very good performances over 90 minutes. I actually think there might be a couple more, which I can't recall right now. There was a league game where he started slow, scored a goal and finished really strongly? There's probably only been a handful of games this season when we've actually got a grip in midfield and imposed ourselves as a team. In almost all of those games Valencia's been a threat. The two games I mentioned probably represent our best attacking performances of the season

Anyway, my main point is that if Kagawa had put in two or more performances where he stood out as an attacking threat the way Valencja did in the games I mentioned you'd have people on here writing frigging sonnets about them. Because it's whipping boy Valencia involved they're falling over themselved to belittle the performance. Blatant double standards. This thread is full of them.

Last edited:
Two games. That's right. Two games in which he was a constant threat throughout. Creating and scoring goals and putting the opposition on the back foot.

Yet people still posted nonsense like this after both of those games.

I'm not even saying he's having a good fecking season. He hasn't. What he has done, though, is put in at least two very good performances over 90 minutes. I actually think there might be a couple more, which I can't recall right now. There was a league game where he started slow, scored a goal and finished really strongly? There's probably only been a handful of games this season when we've actually got a grip in midfield and imposed ourselves as a team. In most of those games Valencia's been a threat. The two games I mentioned probably represent our best performances of the season

Anyway, my main point is that if Kagawa had put in two or more performances where he stood out as an attacking threat the way Valencja did in the games I mentioned you'd have people on here writing frigging sonnets about them. Because it's whipping boy Valencia involved they're falling over themselved to belittle the performance. Blatant double standards. This thread is full of them.

Have you seen the video knocking around of Kagawa this season? The amount of chances he created that weren't put away is ridiculous. We're not talking half chances either, terrible misses that should have gone down as assists for Kagawa.

I don't care about comparisons with Kagawa though, I'm tired of Valencia, two straight seasons now of very very average football.

I read someone, somewhere, suggest that Valencia play through the middle - apparently Oxlade-Chamberpot has been doing so for Arse.

He has power and pace and would frighten the life out of some slower CBs. I don't know about his shooting/finishing, but it can't be worse than his crossing, can it?

Thoughts?

I read someone, somewhere, suggest that Valencia play through the middle - apparently Oxlade-Chamberpot has been doing so for Arse.

He has power and pace and would frighten the life out of some slower CBs. I don't know about his shooting/finishing, but it can't be worse than his crossing, can it?

Thoughts?

He plays more infield for Ecuador I believe, not sure he has the passing ability to be effective there for us though.

He gets more of a free ride because he plays out of position in a system that doesn't suit his style of play, whereas it suits Valencia's game down to a tee, yet he's been for the most part garbage again this season, and still afforded loads more opportunities. Maybe Kagawa should have adapted better, but he wont be the only good player not to fit in at a big club.

He plays more infield for Ecuador I believe, not sure he has the passing ability to be effective there for us though.

Or the use of two feet, opposition midfielders would just pressure him every time he received it on his left foot.

Thoughts?

Valencia runs in circles so he can avoid using his left and won't take on a player one on one out wide where he has the whole flank to work with, not sure how he's gonna fair better centrally. AOB is clearly more comfortable on the ball and with either foot. I don't know how Valencia plays with Ecuador, heard he plays centrally at times but based on his PL showings not sure he could do it for us.

Funny, you always seem happy to dismiss stats as nonsense in certain situations yet use them to put forward your argument in others...

Anyway, it's hardly fair. Valencia's played in his best position all season, and has basically started every game (up until we signed Mata at least). Kagawa has been forced out wide and what-not, has had injuries and goes multiple games in a row without starting.

I'm not trying to justify Kagawa's form, I'd expect better from a player as good as him, but he's clearly not been afforded the same luxuries Valencia has and it's also clear that Valencia has become a pretty shit footballer where as Kagawa is still a very good one who isn't fitting in here due to many reasons.
I agree Kagawa hasn't gotten a fair run (boggles the mind) but also need to point out valencia (like Smalling) has been way out of his comfort zone on many an occasion the past 2 years (more so this one)... I reckon playing Ryan Giggs, Ashley Young or Juan Mata at RB (which has been happening to Valencia since Fergie's last season) would have some effect on them too, when none of them are suited to the job.

I'm not sure why anyone is even comparing the two (kagawa vs valencia)... compare Young vs Valencia and you can make conclusions. Young may be able to play both sides, but he's hardly done anything on either.

Yes that one great performance against the mighty Leverkusen... reminiscent of Best in his prime.

Have a look at the game again. The first 20 min from Valencia is some of the worst I have seen from a United player. After that he was good, but so was the whole team. Rooney, Kagawa and Giggs was better in that game.

Just have a look again and keep an eye on him. It's incredible.

Every time I watch Valencia, I wonder how a professional footballer can be so one-footed. I mean, it limits his game so much. If his right foot was like Messi's left, then he may have an argument not to work on improving his left, but it's not even close, especially when you watch him blaze crosses into row Z or into the box to no-one in particular, or his more recent ability to smash the ball into the defender's shins. Even the best players like Ronaldo continue to work on this game, but with Valenica all he does is bulk up even more every season, and his actually footballing ability seems to go backwards.

He's been pretty much terrible this entire season, and most of the last. I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a group of supporters that actually think he'd performed anywhere near the level of what a United winger should do at any stretch over this season and last.

Important Update

Further to the megathreads announcement, this megathread has been renamed and should be confined to discussing Antonio Valencia's performances this season. For any other discussions about Antonio Valencia, please bump or create separate threads.

Thanks!

From the Mail...

Valencia has been one of United's better midfielders during this sub-par season and his superior crossing abilities have been noted by Moyes

Amazing :lol:

He has to have a big game tonight - i imagine he'll be starting at right back with Smalling/Rafael/Buttner all doubtful/recovering from injury.

Surprised this didn't get bumped. He did his job perfectly. Didn't lose the ball and constantly tracked back. looked comfortable even after being shifted to RB. Felt good to see him try and beat his man in the latter stages of the game as well. Played for the shirt, Valiant display.

He's been pretty good lately IMO. Nothing amazing, but solid all around and is actually doing stuff going forward instead of whatever he tried to do last season and the first 6-7 months of this season. Think he gives a good balance when we play Mata/Kagawa behind Rooney, then Welbeck/Kagawa on the other side. Gives some pace, directness and strength and the hold up play. Always said he was less useless then Young and even though I've probably said many times he should leave, he really should stay and be kept as a squad player, not as a starter though. Useful to have players like him in the team, not so much players like Young.

Did you guys see the top speed of the lad when he tracked back once in the second half? Bayern were countering through the middle, our right side was completely open and I think it was Alaba on a run. Valencia saw the opening and closed it in a split second - damn that was fast! Why can't he use that in attack? He did outpace Boateng though, who is no slouch. That could/should have led him to an assist as well.

Was overall good yesterday, I though. Finally defended well and certainly saved us from a goal when he brushed Mandzukic aside.

He's one dimensional but he continues to be a good option in games like these. Given Nani's lack of playing time, if we had to keep one of our 3 wingers as a squaddie it'd be Valencia for me. Then get a proper, pacy wide player in so we don't feel we need to play him every week.

What I like about Valencia is that he plays his heart out. 100% commitment on offence and defence. He's not exactly Ronaldo on offence, but on the other hand imo Ronaldo can't touch him on defence.

He tracks back. Plays with heart. Doesn't give up or mess around. Very positive influence in the dressing room I imagine (very quiet and all about business). And he can still play a decent offensive game imo if used properly.

Definitely want us to keep him in the Summer.

Good squad option to have. He will be staying I think. As it stands I think Nani & Young will leave + Kagawa and Valencia will stay. Zaha back out on loan.

He's been pretty good lately IMO. Nothing amazing, but solid all around and is actually doing stuff going forward instead of whatever he tried to do last season and the first 6-7 months of this season. Think he gives a good balance when we play Mata/Kagawa behind Rooney, then Welbeck/Kagawa on the other side. Gives some pace, directness and strength and the hold up play. Always said he was less useless then Young and even though I've probably said many times he should leave, he really should stay and be kept as a squad player, not as a starter though. Useful to have players like him in the team, not so much players like Young.
I agree, the last few games he has been well worth his place, not quite back up to his POTY level but no longer making you wish he hadnt been picked. Agree with Danny as well, I love his attitude. His steely determination and even his scowl, I believe that scowl strikes fear into opposition hearts.

What I like about Valencia is that he plays his heart out. 100% commitment on offence and defence. He's not exactly Ronaldo on offence, but on the other hand imo Ronaldo can't touch him on defence.

He tracks back. Plays with heart. Doesn't give up or mess around. Very positive influence in the dressing room I imagine (very quiet and all about business). And he can still play a decent offensive game imo if used properly.

Definitely want us to keep him in the Summer.

100% commitment is expected.

It would be nice if he could have a good game going forward now and then without committing defensive feckups.

I think he has earned his place in the last few games. If rafa is fit for the 2nd leg, we might create better opportunities with both of them linking up together.

100% commitment is expected.

It would be nice if he could have a good game going forward now and then without committing defensive feckups.
Can you say Fellaini had the same level of commitment as Valencia yesterday?

Valencia isn't as bad as some seem to think here. Offensively, he still got pace, and he can still make dangerous overlaps with Rafael. However when you ask him to cross the ball every single time regardless the circumstance, and regardless who's in the box, then obviously he wouldn't perform as well as he could.

Defensively, even though he's not a defender, I think he does a great job of pressing the opponent players higher up the pitch.

I'm not saying here he's the best player on the team by the way, but he's a good squad player with good attitude, and there are other players who should be replaced first. I definitely rate Valencia for example higher than Young and Fellaini.

He's also more important to us than Hernandez (who isn't getting much playing time).

Was very good at protecting our goal.
Did nothing going forward.
Apart from press and steal the ball and after a 1-2 with Rooney, play in Danny for his wrongly-disallowed goal in the first half. He comfortably dealt with Alaba I think and gave Jones a lot of help. His yellow was just as harsh as Schweinsteiger's 2nd as Lahm made a right meal of it barca-style.

He had the energy and pace to cover defensively and be an outlet going forward, but he was blunt any time he got the ball in the Bayern half. Showed the same limitations he has in the last two years in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.