Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it before but the combo of him, Smalling and Clev is one of the most frustrating things I've seen. Just so poor as a three, acomplishing in attack less than what one person with some guts and ability could do on their own. I dunno how Valencia does it for Ecuador, but plaing more centrally today he was shocking.

He should be the one player we have to come on in the hour and make the defenders sweat and make mistakes. Also he can come in and play RB if needed.

He shouldn't be starting a big game with the form he's been all season and yet he's being given a chance after another...

I'm not even going to bother complaining about him anymore. He's shit and has been for the whole season even by our greatly reduced standards of wingplay where a couple of decent crosses constitutes a good performance. The issue here is with the man who constantly selects Valencia, when it's blatantly obvious how poor he is and when we have better options available.

Looking at the 442 stats zone and how he passed the ball, he doesn't even bother to pretend he's passing it forward anymore.

Looking at the 442 stats zone and how he passed the ball, he doesn't even bother to pretend he's passing it forward anymore.

14 of 25 passes were backwards when I looked. Criminal for a United winger.

No technical skill whatsoever and a hit and hope merchant.

A travesty he keeps getting picked to play for Manchester United.

His malaise is going back to the Champions League Final at Wembley in 2011.

He was the worst player on the pitch that night and he doesn't seem to have recovered mentally from it.

Nearly three years of shite performance after shite performance, yet he's still one of the first names down on the teamsheet.

Wow.

He was the worst player on the pitch that night and he doesn't seem to have recovered mentally from it.

Nearly three years of shite performance after shite performance, yet he's still one of the first names down on the teamsheet.

Wow.

Ran around fouling everyone that night like a complete inept bottlejob dickhead.

Wow.

He is a media darling too. Is seen universally as a very reliable player and good winger. Beggars belief.

He is a media darling too. Is seen universally as a very reliable player and good winger. Beggars belief.

That's true, I think I remember Neville saying how consistent and reliable he was after a rare decent performance against Fulham earlier this year. When Robbie Savage did that video on the BBC assessing us he was pretty critical of almost all our squad and yet Valencia was seen as a borderline keep/sell player.

He has always been a woefully one-dimensional player and probably the most one footed player I have ever seen at a top club. But I always loved him for his commitment and the fact that he made the most out of his limited abilities. Non the less it's not working for him anymore. Either it's because even the last FB on earth has realized by now that Valencia only has one foot to play the ball with or it's because he lost explosiveness or because he didn't recover mentally from the CL final in 2011.

The only thing I know is that if a player struggles for so long you look for a quality player in his position and look at how Valencia deals with the competition. Either he rises to the challenge and improves again or he doesn't and have to go when his contract runs out or we find someone to buy him. But only to hope he can recover his old form and be effective for us once again won't do it.

I just hope Mata can make that position his own because I know if I ever have to endure the Valencia of today again I gonna puke.

The Valencia of the last 1.5 years is the quite easily the most frustrating and pathetic player I've watched at United in the last 12 years imo. He just redefines mediocrity. And somehow always escapes criticism and continues to play games.

His crosses seem to have rubbed off on the entire squad. No one can cross anymore

1 goal & 2 assists in a win vs Australia for Ecuador. Shining when not PUMI (playing under the Moyes influence).

He should definitely start tomorrow then. Got to take advantage of this boost in confidence.

Did he play in central-midfield, so is it just a myth that he plays there for the national team?

I don't even get irritated by Valencia's form anymore. I was apoplectic last season, he was woeful. But now, my reaction is one of resignation, with no hope that he'll do something productive. He just walks out on the pitch, plays for 90 minutes, and walks off. Literally, that's all he does. I can't even get annoyed at him anymore.

He should definitely start tomorrow then. Got to take advantage of this boost in confidence.

I saw your next post, but still it's not even close to similar situation, you are comparing Iamshitineverygame Valencia with Kagawa who barely played any football. Considering how much managers trusted him in last two years and how shit he played, Valencia doesn't deserve to start for the rest of season, even if he scores hattrick in every game for Ecuador.

I saw your next post, but still it's not even close to similar situation, you are comparing Iamshitineverygame Valencia with Kagawa who barely played any football. Considering how much managers trusted him in last two years and how shit he played, Valencia doesn't deserve to start for the rest of season, even if he scores hattrick in every game for Ecuador.

Ok, let's compare them.

Kagawa:
15 starts in all competitions.
4 substitute appearances.
0 goals. 0 assists.
Valencia:
26 starts in all competitions.
4 goals. 3 assists.

Which one of these players is "shitineverygame", exactly?

And if we're ignoring goals and assists who will bring more to the table in terms or work-rate, defensive effort and an ability to retain possession?

Just to pre-empt the obvious response(s). No, I am not saying Valencia is having a good season. He's been mediocre to poor with perhaps one or two good performances all season long.

The fact he's still been more productive than Kagawa says more about how gash Kagawa has it been than it does about anything positive from Valencia.

1 goal & 2 assists in a win vs Australia for Ecuador. Shining when not PUMI (playing under the Moyes influence).

I hope that isn't another dig at Moyes because it's laughable to suggest his form has anything to do with Moyes seeing as he was just as bad if not worse last season.

Ok, let's compare them.

Kagawa:
15 starts in all competitions.
0 goals. 0 assists.
Valencia:
26 starts in all competitions.
4 goals. 3 assists.

Which one of these players is "shitineverygame", exactly?

And if we're ignoring goals and assists who will bring more to the table in terms or work-rate, defensive effort and an ability to retain possession?
Funny, you always seem happy to dismiss stats as nonsense in certain situations yet use them to put forward your argument in others...

Anyway, it's hardly fair. Valencia's played in his best position all season, and has basically started every game (up until we signed Mata at least). Kagawa has been forced out wide and what-not, has had injuries and goes multiple games in a row without starting.

I'm not trying to justify Kagawa's form, I'd expect better from a player as good as him, but he's clearly not been afforded the same luxuries Valencia has and it's also clear that Valencia has become a pretty shit footballer where as Kagawa is still a very good one who isn't fitting in here due to many reasons.

Lies, damned lies and statistics!

Fair play Kagawa needs to do more but I would still start him, I still think he offers us more even if he hasnt got an assist yet. I still believe he and Mata can complement each other really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.