Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago he was an absolute beast. Guardiola believed he was the best winger in the world at one stage.

Not sure what has happened to him, but he's obviously not the same player that haunted left backs around Europe in the past. Hopefully, it'll come back to him.

He can still be an effective player for us.

Probably due to Valencias lack of technical ability maybe?

Maybe, but he used to be able to do this. Pay attention to this in his next matches though; so many times he has beaten his defender only to let him make that last ditch tackle because Valencia takes too long to decide where to cross.

No doubt he is lightning but in my opinion the players with higher technical ability can control the ball much better at top speed. Ribery and Ronaldo for example can cross at full stride simply due to the fact their control at that speed is immaculate. Evra is very adept at whipping in a cross at full stride too.

I think you're right. Evra at his prime had amazing pace as well and was able to cross the ball at that stride. It doesn't mean that he was a terrific crosser of the ball, but he was able to cross it at full pelt; Valencia may be a better crosser, but he isn't able to pull off a decent cross at full speed it seems. Giggs was brilliant at running like Usain Bolt and crossing it at that pace - it was such joy to watch.

I think you're right. Evra at his prime had amazing pace as well and was able to cross the ball at that stride. It doesn't mean that he was a terrific crosser of the ball, but he was able to cross it at full pelt; Valencia may be a better crosser, but he isn't able to pull off a decent cross at full speed it seems. Giggs was brilliant at running like Usain Bolt and crossing it at that pace - it was such joy to watch.

What a counter :drool:

Truly remarkable that he's anywhere near the team, let alone starting every week. Absolutely dreadful.

Joint second in most appearances this season with Evra, just behind DDG. His position should be the first we're looking to find a replacement for.

I can understand that he is utter shit, but feck me you won't find player with worse mentality, it's ridiculous how negative his style of play is at the moment, he isn't even trying to do anything with the ball.

Get rid of him even if we have to pay someone to take him. That's the only way Moyes will stop playing him.

fecking useless. I reckon even Obertan would have done a better job had he got such an extended run in the side

He started brightly but faded and basically was just fouling by the end of the game. Once again though he and Young are constantly passing the buck to others to actually make the cross.

First 20 or so minutes we looked strong down the right, but as others have said he definitely faded as the game went on. Was surprised that he he didn't put him at RB and switch Rafa to the left seeing as Valencia has proven that he cannot play well with anyone else down the right these past seasons. It would have given us a bit more of an attacking threat down the right.

Man, he's really done isn't he? All he's good for is being absolutely ripped. I imagine his United shirt has to be specially made now, like they did for Schmeichel.

Just give him David Luiz's midfield role for us. He can charge around, smash into people with his massive shoulders, and get booked. He's good at doing that on the wing. Make him earn his crust and cover a bit more ground with it.

I'd love to know what he was doing for that third goal. He basically just turned Eto'o around to make sure he could score... it was bizarre.

How is he still at united? Every game for the past 1.5 seasons he's been shite, with 2 or 3 exceptions. He can't beat a man, has no left foot, can't cross, and makes mistakes defensively. What exactly does he offer? His constant inclusions reminds me of park in his last season, then he got sold to qpr and could even play there. Valencia will get sold to a mid table team and look like Stuart downing because he's no better to be honest. We really have got to get rid of him because he only plays because he's a tank physically. Too bad he doesn't know how to do anything with a ball though.

I just can't believe players like him and Young play for us on a regular basis. When I look down the league for the first side that they would get in and it's Aston Villa. And that is both of their levels.

Would be a cracking player if he learned how to cross. Anybody remember this?

I just can't believe players like him and Young play for us on a regular basis. When I look down the league for the first side that they would get in and it's Aston Villa. And that is both of their levels.

I said last season that Valencia wouldn't get in the Wigan team ahead of Mcmanaman or Maloney at the time, and I was laughed at. I stand by it.

I agree on the fouling point. He does it so unnecessarily these days and it's infuriating. It's bad enough that he's struggling to beat players and produce something, yet still get's opportunities galore. He's fooled a lot of people into believing his performances justify his selection.

Slate Valencia as much as you want, but you can't deny that he's trying for us. Some of give off the illusion that he just doesn't care anymore and isn't half-arsed with his performance or our results. He's a much better player than what his current performances are reflecting - we all know that.

The usually non-animated Valencia after Carrick scored:

_72863401_goals_utd.jpg

It really annoys me when we replace Rafa with Valencia when chasing a game. Rafael is better and defending and attacking than Valencia is. He's definitely much better at crossing. It feels like Moyes is just looking to make a positive change so he keeps doing this.

That point yesterday when Valencia found himself in the left back position was hilarious though. We literally had no players in the entire right hand side of the pitch.

It really annoys me when we replace Rafa with Valencia when chasing a game. Rafael is better and defending and attacking than Valencia is. He's definitely much better at crossing. It feels like Moyes is just looking to make a positive change so he keeps doing this.

That point yesterday when Valencia found himself in the left back position was hilarious though. We literally had no players in the entire right hand side of the pitch.

Yeah, I agree. Rafael does better at both ends of the pitch.

Slate Valencia as much as you want, but you can't deny that he's trying for us. Some of give off the illusion that he just doesn't care anymore and isn't half-arsed with his performance or our results. He's a much better player than what his current performances are reflecting - we all know that.

The usually non-animated Valencia after Carrick scored:

_72863401_goals_utd.jpg

No one said he isn't trying, you can't doubt how much he cares or how much he runs, people are just saying that he has ran out of ideas, he has become clueless in his game.

He's a crap fullback.

Think he adds more to our game overall than Young though.

He's OK in that he has amazing pace and thus can keep them on the back foot.

Young baffles me - at least starting him baffles me. It was clear for all to see how much more Januzaj offered when he came on. I thought that Young was on to offer more pace, but Januzaj actually looks to have more speed these days than Young who just cannot run with the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.