Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The less involved he is, the better the team plays. The second half showed that I'm afraid. He's just far too one dimensional, and holds us back.

Watching Welbeck, Januzaj and Kagawa link up in the second half was lovely. We need more players of that ilk (i.e technical and versatile). While Valencia is still first choice (hopefully he wont be after the Summer), we'll always be held back as a team imo.

He got a goal which might help his confidence but overall he wasn't much better than he has been this season, it's just he was less noticeable because of all the play coming from the left instead.

He got a goal which might help his confidence but overall he wasn't much better than he has been this season, it's just he was less noticeable because of all the play coming from the left instead.

Sadly agree with this and it pains me because Valencia, at his best, was a beast. Does anyone else remember how good he was in that Chelsea game where Chico scored after 36 seconds at the end of 10/11?

That day Valencia totally destroyed Ashley Cole, yet now he can't even seem to beat full backs who are half the defender Ashley Cole is. The drop off in form over the past two seasons has been as drastic as anything else I've ever seen from a Man Utd player. Some players arrive at United and just don't cut it whereas Valencia has gone from player of the season in 11/12 to, frankly, frightened to attack midtable defenders without Rafael for a crutch.

There has been some truly ridiculous revisionism on here. He's been shite for the last couple of seasons but was definitely amongst the top 3-4 wingers in the league since he's joined us otherwise.

He looks like he has lost some of his pace. Wouldn't surprise me if he's put on too much muscle. He's a absolute unit, I think he's lost some of his explosiveness.

He looks like he has lost some of his pace. Wouldn't surprise me if he's put on too much muscle. He's a absolute unit, I think he's lost some of his explosiveness.
His injury made one of his legs shorter than the other.

His injury made one of his legs shorter than the other.

I could understand, but arguably his best form came after his injury. It might be the reason but he did come back very strong, especially in 11/12.

I could understand, but arguable his best form came after his injury. It might be the reason but he did come back very strong, especially in 11/12.
It probably came back to bite him, injuries like that always take their tolls, apparently he has to use one boot that is specially adapted to give his other leg height so they are equal. I think that's probably why he appears slower, besides he is still lone of the fastest players in the league even if he has appeared to slow down.

For me it's his decision making that's deteriorated badly. He used to pick the right ball instantly, now you're almost afraid to counter with him in case he messes up.

He was ok at best. Apart from the goal he was pretty much anonymous. We need somebody who is going to be more of a threat rather than somebody who is simply going to facilitate Rafael bombing forward.

He was ok at best. Apart from the goal he was pretty much anonymous. We need somebody who is going to be more of a threat rather than somebody who is simply going to facilitate Rafael bombing forward.

He's been a great player but I think it's time to say thank you and good luck.

In fairness he's first choice by default currently. Nani really would be providing some strong competition if he was fit.

That's preferable to passing the ball to him every time and watching him feck it up

Sadly agree with this and it pains me because Valencia, at his best, was a beast. Does anyone else remember how good he was in that Chelsea game where Chico scored after 36 seconds at the end of 10/11?

That day Valencia totally destroyed Ashley Cole, yet now he can't even seem to beat full backs who are half the defender Ashley Cole is. The drop off in form over the past two seasons has been as drastic as anything else I've ever seen from a Man Utd player. Some players arrive at United and just don't cut it whereas Valencia has gone from player of the season in 11/12 to, frankly, frightened to attack midtable defenders without Rafael for a crutch.

Has definitely put on more weight since then...Maybe it's a factor? Or am I making excuses?

Something has been said as today, even in the first half, he was getting little of the play down the right

It probably came back to bite him, injuries like that always take their tolls, apparently he has to use one boot that is specially adapted to give his other leg height so they are equal. I think that's probably why he appears slower, besides he is still lone of the fastest players in the league even if he has appeared to slow down.

Oh Mitch :lol:

That's just stupid, he said last season that all injuries are behind him and that he has been playing injury free for a long time.
So, doesn't mean they haven't affected him in someway long term. I was just discussing it, you don't have to be an arse about it.

He wasnt any better than usual. The difference is be had less contacts with the ball so his shitness didnt stand out.

There were a couple of moments, his pass to Rafael to set up the Welbeck chance in the first half being one, where I'd thought he'd feck it up based on his form this season but he didn't. He wasn't great and looked out of place in the second half against Januzaj, Kagawa and Welbeck's movement but he wasn't as bad as he has been.

It's the first time I remember us not hitting it to the right wing all game for a very long time. Hopefully when Rooney comes back those long passes to Valencia stop, they look nice but Valencia does feck all with them.

feck me he fair piled on the weight.

So, doesn't mean they haven't affected him in someway long term. I was just discussing it, you don't have to be an arse about it.

I wasn't being arse about it, I just found it funny it's all.

Has definitely put on more weight since then...Maybe it's a factor? Or am I making excuses?

Something has been said as today, even in the first half, he was getting little of the play down the right

I'd say it was just the player's natural inclination to pass to Kagawa and Rafael over a player who continually does nothing when he is given the ball.

Anyone who's played in a team will relate to that. I've played with a fair few players who you naturally don't look to pass to and a few players you look straight up to see if they are free.

I'd say it was just the player's natural inclination to pass to Kagawa and Rafael over a player who continually does nothing when he is given the ball.

Anyone who's played in a team will relate to that. I've played with a fair few players who you naturally don't look to pass to and a few players you look straight up to see if they are free.

I used to get picked last for football matches... This post reminds me of that :(

Stats after his injury put him as the world's fastest player. His ridiculous run came after the injury. I've never seen him outpaced after the injury. What I do see, however, is that he beats his man then hesitates for a split second before crossing, subsequently letting the defender get back and clear the ball. I don't think that's what's happened - I think he needs to look up before he makes the run and cross quicker. Nani crosses the ball in full stride; Valencia has to slow down.

Stats after his injury put him as the world's fastest player. His ridiculous run came after the injury. I've never seen him outpaced after the injury. What I do see, however, is that he beats his man then hesitates for a split second before crossing, subsequently letting the defender get back and clear the ball. I don't think that's what's happened - I think he needs to look up before he makes the run and cross quicker. Nani crosses the ball in full stride; Valencia has to slow down.
Probably due to Valencias lack of technical ability maybe?

No doubt he is lightning but in my opinion the players with higher technical ability can control the ball much better at top speed. Ribery and Ronaldo for example can cross at full stride simply due to the fact their control at that speed is immaculate. Evra is very adept at whipping in a cross at full stride too.

It used to be that we'd give him the ball and the leftback has a worried expression on his face. Now we give him the ball and its the supporters with a worried expression on their face.

No doubt he is lightning but in my opinion the players with higher technical ability can control the ball much better at top speed. Ribery and Ronaldo for example can cross at full stride simply due to the fact their control at that speed is immaculate. Evra is very adept at whipping in a cross at full stride too.

Evra is terrible at crossing, be it high speed or not.

I agree with you about Valencia though, he doesn't keep the ball tight enough to his feet which in turn makes it obvious at which point he's going to hit the ball for a cross which makes it easy to block. Other more technically gifted wingers keep the ball tighter and it allows them to cross with much more guile.

Evra is terrible at crossing, be it high speed or not.

I agree with you about Valencia though, he doesn't keep the ball tight enough to his feet which in turn makes it obvious at which point he's going to hit the ball for a cross which makes it easy to block. Other more technically gifted wingers keep the ball tighter and it allows them to cross with much more guile.
That's the lack of control that drives me mad about him. If there was ever one clip that sums him up I think it's this one, blinding pace to nick the ball then looks absolutely clueless about what to do and doesn't seem to have the ball fully under control at any stage. Luckily enough got a pen out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.