Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he'll only miss Norwich? Fine.

He could be a good option to have coming off the bench against Tottenham.

Has he always made this many fouls? He must be the highest in the squad so far this season?

He's always been clumsy, but earlier in the season he was actually making more clean/successful tackles than he used to. Buttner and Valencia average the most fouls for us in the league, with Fellaini and Rooney ever so close behind them. Ferdinand and Evans average the least fouls, somehow. Kagawa averages 1.8 tackles a game which is fair (in fact our best for a winger along with Valencia) yet has only conceeded 1 foul this season. Some clean tackling there

Probably inconsequential, Moyes would have probably benched him next game anyway's.

Wishful thinking

So even though he was missing Norwich regardless due to the yellow card, it's quite strange that he wouldn't get extra suspension because of the red?

Essentially he had the choice of having a second yellow without any consequences.

So even though he was missing Norwich regardless due to the yellow card, it's quite strange that he wouldn't get extra suspension because of the red?

Essentially he had the choice of having a second yellow without any consequences.

The man he should have been tracking nearly scored but for DDG closing him down quickly. I'd say that was almost a very harsh consequence.

The man he should have been tracking nearly scored but for DDG closing him down quickly. I'd say that was almost a very harsh consequence.

Not what I meant.

I meant that, for Valencia, there was no difference in receiving a yellow or getting sent off today. Either way, he misses one game. I find that quite strange.
I mean, he could of tactically fouled someone in the 92nd minute or so to get a second yellow to slow the game down for a minute, and yet receive no extra punishment.

I just don't understand that ruling.

Our team seriously lack of quality and football intelligence.

Very stupid and almost costly sending off and I wonder if he could see him lose his place for a bit both as punishment but also Young looking quite good there and offering a bit more vary in the type of ball he'll put in. Don't see it being long term as Valencia seems to always come back in the team.

Very stupid and almost costly sending off and I wonder if he could see him lose his place for a bit both as punishment but also Young looking quite good there and offering a bit more vary in the type of ball he'll put in. Don't see it being long term as Valencia seems to always come back in the team.

don't think he deserves any extra punishment, and if you watched the whole game Rooney and Adnan could just as well have been sent off. Furthermore, we do not have the depth in our squad to punish our better players by leaving them out...

don't think he deserves any extra punishment, and if you watched the whole game Rooney and Adnan could just as well have been sent off. Furthermore, we do not have the depth in our squad to punish our better players by leaving them out...

Well I'm not saying he should get it, just that it might happen as it was a stupid way to get sent off and at a bad point for ius, others were walking a tight rope but end of the day only he went off. As for better players he's still running a bit hot and cold atm, but yeah fair point its true that at the moment we're lacking in depth so unlikely.

Not what I meant.

I meant that, for Valencia, there was no difference in receiving a yellow or getting sent off today. Either way, he misses one game. I find that quite strange.
I mean, he could of tactically fouled someone in the 92nd minute or so to get a second yellow to slow the game down for a minute, and yet receive no extra punishment.

I just don't understand that ruling.

Is this not just a quirk of bookings being wiped on Dec 31st?

Normally if you're one yellow away from a suspension, and you get booked and red carded, you serve the ban for the red card part, and then go back to being 1 booking off a suspension.

Pretty sure thats exactly what he was thinking as he booted the ball away

I don't know what he was thinking...it was just a stupid reaction to a stupid decision by the ref-kid.

My point is, IF they were to score in that last 2-3 minutes, we cant blame Valencia. We should be able to comfortably hold a result against teams like this, even with 1 man less. Anyway, glad it didn't went that way.

I don't know what he was thinking...it was just a stupid reaction to a stupid decision by the ref-kid.

My point is, IF they were to score in that last 2-3 minutes, we cant blame Valencia. We should be able to comfortably hold a result against teams like this, even with 1 man less. Anyway, glad it didn't went that way.

If we could comfortably hold them with 10 men, we'd play with 10 men each game and rest our players. We needed our replacement right back on the pitch, but he fancied a rest himself so he kicked the ball away for a 2nd yellow

He was being such a cretin there. What was he thinking when kicking the ball away? Certain cautious there. Could have cost us big time in the end. Obviously him being sent off worsened the perception of his performance at right-back which was meh but hadn't troubled us since the red card but he deserves a good bollocking and benching as a fine. No wonder Moyes didn't even look at him.

Full disclosure: I haven't seen today's game, so can't comment on this incident. But it seems a bit much people calling Valencia a cretin based on this one moment. I'm not a huge fan of the player, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a player who comports himself as well as Valencia. I'm sure he feels just as bad, if not worse, about this as anyone else does.

Full disclosure: I haven't seen today's game, so can't comment on this incident. But it seems a bit much people calling Valencia a cretin based on this one moment. I'm not a huge fan of the player, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a player who comports himself as well as Valencia. I'm sure he feels just as bad, if not worse, about this as anyone else does.

Agreed.

The implication that he did this in a premeditated effort to get himself a second yellow so he could have an early rest is literally laughable. It made me laugh.

Why is kicking the ball away even a bookable offence? Because it wastes time? If the referee is too idiotic to work out he can effectively eliminate any advantage that creates by adding extra time onto the end of the match then he should book his fecking self.

"You've wasted time, which is unfair on the opposition. In order to rectify that I'm going to stop play for a minute and a half, book you and send you off and then restart the match much later than what would have happened if someone had just got the ball"

Why is kicking the ball away even a bookable offence? Because it wastes time? If the referee is too idiotic to work out he can effectively eliminate any advantage that creates by adding extra time onto the end of the match then he should book his fecking self.

"You've wasted time, which is unfair on the opposition. In order to rectify that I'm going to stop play for a minute and a half, book you and send you off and then restart the match much later than what would have happened if someone had just got the ball"

Is it not more for the petulance and arseyness of it? Plus it robs the opposition of the chance to take a quick one and it's just a fecking irritating thing to do.

The implication that he did this in a premeditated effort to get himself a second yellow so he could have an early rest is literally laughable. It made me laugh.
South American players have been known to make sure they get their holiday rest and a short vacation.

All the people who are overreacting, I would love to have seen their reactions when Denis Irwin got done at Anfield. Miss out against Norwich or an FA Cup final?

No I know but Valencia's one of our players who it's fashionable to have a dig at at the moment so over the top responses to his moment of idiocy are to be expected.

No I know but Valencia's one of our players who it's fashionable to have a dig at at the moment so over the top responses to his moment of idiocy are to be expected.
I know your original response was a littl tongue in cheek but I guess I just wanted to remind people that, as you say, club legends have been guilty of the same thing in far more important situations.

Unless he finds his old self til the end of the season then he should be replaced.
Replaced to a squad-option that is with a new signing taking his place in the first XI.
If he can't live with that then he should be sold.

Not been United quality in a long time... :(

Just looking at the FA website, and they've got Valencia down as only 4 cautions, but the first one was his 5th. They also only have him down as a 1 game ban, so presuming that that's right one more booking gives him another ban. I'd have rather he sat for 2 and put him on 5 booking meaning he's got another 5 to play with.

Extra punishment? Haha behave. I'm sure you's wouldn't be saying the same if it was Januzaj.

It was idiotic but a few choice words is all he deserves.

I can't believe people want fines and extra punishments. It was silly, but it's about the only silly thing he's done in his entire time at the club.

People mostly say he was being a cretin there, not that he is one in general. Apart from those who have agenda of course. I have absolutely no complaints with people calling a spade a spade. He should have known better, we have virtually no room for error right now and these were massively important 3 points. It was as blatant a second yellow as you could get. I think he's a smart guy so it's even more frustrating.

I just realised he's still only 28 years old. He should be at his peak right now, but he seems to have deteriorated from a couple of seasons back. Have we seen the best of him?

No, just a tad more faith is needed by 29 he'll be like Ronaldo.

no longer playing for Manchester united raees? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.