Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't shite, but he wasn't particularly good either. I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised about the positive reactions he got in the MOTM thread.

He's technically really good, wins his tackles and manages to keep hold of the ball very well. But his actions in the box are really a nightmare. Bad decision making, bad finishing skills. He's a potentially brilliant player, but he really needs to improve this aspect of his game.

He was the only player for the first 60 mins who looked like he might create something and was regularly beating his full back. Maybe that was why he got positive reactions?

Some of the idiots on here...

He put in some good crosses but the lack of players in the box, and some misunderstandings with the forwards have obviously led to some people on here thinking he's a bad crosser and lacks end product.

His first touch was exellent btw.

you obviously have watched the game against Valenica... The friendly one... Yea he played well then... When did he receved a pass while he was running... please show me that moment... Or show me when did he actually started the run with a ball like Nani or Evra did... He slowed our attacks.. We had more chances when he went out and when he was substitued.... I hoped for VALENCIA not valencia..... Valencia in Wigan knowed how to run... This Valencia doesnt run at all.. You cant see him run even if you try to make compilation of his movements in a leight of a three minute song...

Now Nani really did have an average game. We created next to bugger all down the left. One decent shot (from a Valencia pass, as it happens) doesn't change that.

Valencia was a bit lacking in end product tonight but was the only winger to cause them any real problems. He also didn't have the benefit of playing alongside one of the best left-backs in Europe.

They were both average. I don't think he was awful but not good either.

Yup.

If Owen had stayed onside and converted that near-post opportunity and/or Scholes had made the most of his clever late run in the first half then they'd have changed their tune.

C'est la vie.

Spot on.

Just want to add that anyone saying he only beats his man through kick and run tactics is also being overly harsh. He was getting in behind the full back consistently first half with his off the ball movement and he can also beat his with footwork and strength. Pace is of course one of his main weapons because he is lightening but he showed he had more to his game overall. Also picked up by all the pundits from Gray, Tyler, Salgado, Gullit and Strachan as our best player first half and praised for his display.

All in all, encouraging signs.

Now Nani really did have an average game. We created next to bugger all down the left. One decent shot (from a Valencia pass, as it happens) doesn't change that.

Valencia was a bit lacking in end product tonight but was the only winger to cause them any real problems. He also didn't have the benefit of playing alongside one of the best left-backs in Europe.

:confused:

Spot on.

Just want to add that anyone saying he only beats his man through kick and run tactics is also being overly harsh. He was getting in behind the full back consistently first half with his off the ball movement and he can also beat his with footwork and strength. Pace is of course one of his main weapons because he is lightening but he showed he had more to his game overall. Also picked up by all the pundits from Gray, Tyler, Salgado, Gullit and Strachan as our best player first half and praised for his display.

All in all, encouraging signs.

He's a very similar player to Lennon. Hopefully he can become as effective once he settles in, so far the signs are promising as he gives us something a bit different on the right to the other options.

He gave it to Nani in the build up to the goal you spastic.

Yes your right he played an easy ball to Nani who shot on goal and Scholes headed it into goal. I've changed my mind, be was amazing.

Calm down first of all. I'm not saying he was awful or anything, just average. We're allowed to disagree. I prefer that than name-calling, personally.

Not bad but Very one dimensional and inconsistent.

A average(decent) player over all imo.

None of his crosses today were useful.

you obviously have watched the game against Valenica... The friendly one... Yea he played well then... When did he receved a pass while he was running... please show me that moment... Or show me when did he actually started the run with a ball like Nani or Evra did... He slowed our attacks.. We had more chances when he went out and when he was substitued.... I hoped for VALENCIA not valencia..... Valencia in Wigan knowed how to run... This Valencia doesnt run at all.. You cant see him run even if you try to make compilation of his movements in a leight of a three minute song...

Mate... to be honest... that doesnt make any sense... and I have no idea what you're on about...

Nani was better than that Pogue. Nani also was beating his man and also put in some decent crosses that were not best served on Rooney in the box of his own. That cross he put that caused all sorts of confusion and lead to a tame shot from Carrick is one example. Far from his best performance of the season but he also made the winner with his shot.

I thought all of United's attacking threat came down the wings tonight both before and after the change to 4-4-2. I would not be getting on our wingers back, they can play better and improve, for sure but both beat their full backs and put in some decent crosses that would have been better served by more bodies in the box. Some of the crossing was shite but at least both Nani and Valencia were beating their men and giving us a threat. There was little to no creativity centrally until the change to 4-4-2 and even after that it was minimal.

Nani was better than that Pogue. Nani also was beating his man and also put in some decent crosses that were not best served on Rooney in the box of his own. That cross he put that caused all sorts of confusion and lead to a tame shot from Carrick is one example. Far from his best performance of the season but he also made the winner with his shot.

I thought all of United's attacking threat came down the wings tonight both before and after the change to 4-4-2. I would not be getting on our wingers back, they can play better and improve, for sure but both beat their full backs and put in some decent crosses that would have been better served by more bodies in the box. Some of the crossing was shite but at least both Nani and Valencia were beating their men and giving us a threat. There was little to no creativity centrally until the change to 4-4-2 and even after that it was minimal.

It's the only I can think of. He definitely looked better in the last half hour (at about the same time Valencia started to fade) but did feck all for the first hour.

Agree that a lack of bodies in the box were a problem.

Yes your right he played an easy ball to Nani who shot on goal and Scholes headed it into goal. I've changed my mind, be was amazing.

Calm down first of all. I'm not saying he was awful or anything, just average. We're allowed to disagree. I prefer that than name-calling, personally.

Apologies I though you were the same person who'd posted all the nonsensical ramblings.

I still feel you've been very harsh on his performance, I think he was much better than average and he did put a number of good crosses in, which if had been met would have led to very different reactions in here.

Does anyone think that he is far too predictable so far?

I liked him in the Audi Cup.

I didn't like him today. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either and never a 7. Predictable is the right word. He keeps hold of the ball, beats his man, reaches the box and doesn't manage something useful there. It followed the same pattern the whole night.

Apologies I though you were the same person who'd posted all the nonsensical ramblings.

I still feel you've been very harsh on his performance, I think he was much better than average and he did put a number of good crosses in, which if had been met would have led to very different reactions in here.
No problem. Maybe it was me. :angel:

I think that if one's crosses just aren't leading to anything why not cut in a little and try other things rather than just the same thing again and again when it's obviously not working.

TBH i thought he was a little above average, but considering how our whole team looked fairly average go figure! But he did take on his man a lot of times and put balls in the box, it was just a shame we only had Rooney in the box at any given time.

I think that if one's crosses just aren't leading to anything why not cut in a little and try other things
rather than just the same thing again and again when it's obviously not working.

Which is exactly what he did, when he passed to Nani right before we scored.

You really didn't watch the game, did you?

I think that if one's crosses just aren't leading to anything why not cut in a little and try other things rather than just the same thing again and again when it's obviously not working.

Pogue's just beaten me to pointing out that this is what he did in the lead up to the goal, and it wasn't the only time he did it either. He cut inside his man a number of times, leaving their left back on his arse and running into the penalty area.

As one of the commentators/pundits pointed out, once we get used to having a more traditional winger on the right and start loading the area we will get much more use from him.

Which is exactly what he did, when he passed to Nani right before we scored.

You really didn't watch the game, did you?
I did Pogue. It was the one time he did that. Some of you are acting as if he had a stormer or something. The game he had was in that zone where you won't find everyone saying he was great or everyone saying he was poor.

He was best mates with the opposing goalkeeper today. Got in the position but every cross went straight into the keepers hands. If he can sort that side of his game out, then he could be good.

I did Pogue. It was the one time he did that. Some of you are acting as if he had a stormer or something. The game he had was in that zone where you won't find everyone saying he was great or everyone saying he was poor.

It actually wasn't. Honestly.

I don't think anyone's saying he's had a stormer but it beggars belief that anyone can watch that performance and think he didn't have a good game.

I'm increasingly convinced that a lot of football fans have such a short attention span that they base their opinions of a game on football on the closing 15 minutes (when Valencia did look a bit knackered and out of ideas)

It actually wasn't. Honestly.

I don't think anyone's saying he's had a stormer but it beggars belief that anyone can watch that performance and think he didn't have a good game.

I'm increasingly convinced that a lot of football fans have such a short attention span that they base their opinions of a game on football on the closing 15 minutes (when Valencia did look a bit knackered and out of ideas)

I think a lot of people had decided when he was signed that he wasn't good enough, and now just jump on the negatives of each of his displays and fail to acknowledge what he does well.

I think a lot of people had decided when he was signed that he wasn't good enough, and now just jump on the negatives of each of his displays and fail to acknowledge what he does well.

Exactly.

Fits with the 'football fans are spastics' thread from a while ago.

Two Valencias in our team would not be good.

Fortunately, we have Nani on the left, who is technically immense.
Valencia, is a machine, with reasonable technical ability.

I think both go very well together. And gives up options to vary our play, Nani can cut inside, and Valencia will cross 9/10.

Or it could just be that people see the game different than you guys?

It's too easy just labelling people as spastics with agendas, even if we all probably do it.

Jumping on small negatives and making larger points based on them is apparently a terrible thing to do.

Jumping on equally small positives and making larger points about them is apparently fine, though.

Exactly.

Fits with the 'football fans are spastics' thread from a while ago.

You've making it very easy for yourself. I found him impressive in the Audi Cup. He has some excellent qualities.

But he wasn't that good this evening, and whilst you don't have to share this view, you should at least accept it without out accusing those who thought he was average of having agendas or being spastics.

Status
Not open for further replies.