Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Park is better than him, and he deserves to play

Don't be silly now

In games like this i actually agree with Sonny. Park is more effective in these big games because Valencia's directness can be dealt with much better by better full backs. Against the teams that come to park the bus though Valencia would be my pick. Easily.

Let's give the lad some time. Hasnt impressed so far but I think that can change.
Oh :lol: @ those people who said he is in front of Nani in the peckin order, fookin spastics you are

Valencia played well but had a couple of very poor moments. Started to look a bit rattled and was sensibly subbed off at the right time.

It's to be expected that a new player is going to have hot and cold moments in their first few months. It was his first experience of a top four clash today too. So overall I'm very content with what I've seen from him.

A forgettable game from him today. He is still feeling his way into this side so give him plenty of time to adapt. There was not enough attacking proficiency from him and the game largely passed him by.

But he is expected to improve here and develop the weaker areas of his game. Plenty more to come from him in the future.

I'm not. And we paid far too much for him. Arshavin cost less and is worlds better.

Wel I don't give a shit if you're not content after just a few games, in which on the whole he has played well.

Arshavin did not cost less than Valencia and he is 3 years older.

Arshavin is the better wing-forward that much is undeniable.

Given time I hope that Valencia will prove to be the better proper winger in a 442. It's his best position by far.

But, no, let's all slag him off because he didn't have a great game playing in a new role, in his first game of this magnitude at a club he has only just joined. Yes let's all write him off already. Well done.

Hence my distinction between muppets and people

Yet quoted me and bolded something I said. Weird.

He does track back well, but it is really annoying the amount of times he goes a bit over the top with a tackle and gives away a freekick. A fair amount of the time, if he'd been a tad more patient he'd have come away with the ball fairly.

Some utterly retarded comments in here, its quite pathetic that people are writing him off so quickly. If it was down to you lot we'd have probably sold Evra

Park is better than him, and he deserves to play

Park is much much better with his positional play and movement on the evidence of Valencia's first games for us.

If I recall correctly Valencia had Fabio at fullback on his flank when we played Valencia, correct?

I think he sorely needs an attacking fullback providing an option outside him else he struggles.

early doors and all. he'll come good. though certainly not in arshavin's class IMO, but then again arshavin was cup tied and fergie would never spend that kind of money in january on a cup tied player. also, he's probably on double the wages valencia is on and 3-4 years older.

I think he sorely needs an attacking fullback providing an option outside him else he struggles.

I agree. A fit Rafael and Valencia, might, in time, make a decent combination on the right. I'm afraid O'Shea and Valencia looked negative, devoid of ideas and desperately short of technical ability. I can't imagine Wes or Gary Neville would offer enough going forward either. Early days for him and if he gets a goal, it may encourage him to take more responsibility, but he's not doing enough in the final third at the moment. In that system, with Giggs looking to pass the ball, Valencia has to offer a goal threat and he failed totally in that respect. In a 442 the emphasis is more on getting crosses in.

I agree. A fit Rafael and Valencia, might, in time, make a decent combination on the right. I'm afraid O'Shea and Valencia looked negative, devoid of ideas and desperately short of technical ability. I can't imagine Wes or Gary Neville would offer enough going forward either. Early days for him and if he gets a goal, it may encourage him to take more responsibility, but he's not doing enough in the final third at the moment. In that system, with Giggs looking to pass the ball, Valencia has to offer a goal threat and he failed totally in that respect. In a 442 the emphasis is more on getting crosses in.

I agree with all of this.

In a 451/433 I'd even like to see Tosic or Welbeck in the wide attacking role. However for now I think we need to play 442 to get the best out of all of Valencia and Berbatov in particular.

Valencia needs time but really has not shown anything yet to make you feel confident about him apart from some good crossing and pace. He doesnt look very skillful, does not score goals. Robben scoring twice for Bayern today despite coming on in the second hald makes you wonder what might have been!!!

Still waiting for him to discover his left foot!! Yeah really does lack flair for a winger though!!

I think the problem is that people seem to have been expecting Valencia to be a flair player? Perhaps to offset the loss of Ronaldo?

In truth it's blatantly fecking obvious that Valencia is here to compete with Park. Nani is the creative spark.

Valencia will struggle against any full-back he is not significantly faster than, as he doesn't have many other ideas other than to try and kick it past him and chase it.

This is not a 'writing him off' thing either, it will work in some games, many games where we steamroll our opponents and have loads of space. He's a good player to have in our squad definitely, he's a good winger, improves the average quality we have out wide - but not good enough in my view to be our main man out wide, for a team that relies so much on width for it's attacking spark.

I think the problem is that people seem to have been expecting Valencia to be a flair player? Perhaps to offset the loss of Ronaldo?

In truth it's blatantly fecking obvious that Valencia is here to compete with Park. Nani is the creative spark.

Is he?? To be honest Valencia opinions have been a bit strange because although he's been in the prem for around 4 years no one really knew what his game was truly about?!!

I agree. A fit Rafael and Valencia, might, in time, make a decent combination on the right. I'm afraid O'Shea and Valencia looked negative, devoid of ideas and desperately short of technical ability.

Absolutely.

The right side of midfield looked completly devoid of any ideas today. Valencia needs Fabio/Rafael. He'd be better hunting in pairs.

Is he?? To be honest Valencia opinions have been a bit strange because although he's been in the prem for around 4 years no one really knew what his game was truly about?!!

Well I did, and I knew he was a strong, hardworking, hog the line, run at the full back kind of winger.

Too many people read into the media's "Valencia to replace Ronaldo!" stories.

I don't think anyone's expecting him to replace Ronaldo, they do expect him to play well though.

I don't reaally think he's done that yet.

Well I did, and I knew he was a strong, hardworking, hog the line, run at the full back kind of winger.

Too many people read into the media's "Valencia to replace Ronaldo!" stories.

This post should be repeated many, many times across this forum.

I don't think anyone's expecting him to replace Ronaldo, they do expect him to play well though.

I don't reaally think he's done that yet.

He played very well against Wigan.

Wel I don't give a shit if you're not content after just a few games, in which on the whole he has played well.

Arshavin did not cost less than Valencia and he is 3 years older.

Arshavin is the better wing-forward that much is undeniable.

Given time I hope that Valencia will prove to be the better proper winger in a 442. It's his best position by far.

But, no, let's all slag him off because he didn't have a great game playing in a new role, in his first game of this magnitude at a club he has only just joined. Yes let's all write him off already. Well done.

Agreed, although he is 4 years younger than Arshavin though.

This post should be repeated many, many times across this forum.

To be honest i don't think ANYONE thought Valencia was Ronaldo's replacement or the 'new' Ronaldo!! Proof in the Valencia transfer forum thread would answer all them questions...

But overall he's just done ok.

I'm not saying he's not good enough, and I do think he'll get better as the season goes on, but he's still not done enough to dispel my(and many others') doubts.

To be honest i don't think ANYONE thought Valencia was Ronaldo's replacement or the 'new' Ronaldo!! Proof in the Valencia transfer forum thread would answer all them questions...

A lot of people did though, and even if they don't acknowledge the fact some people will subconciously put excessive expectations on him due to the position he is playing in and who played in it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.