Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Park - looked great when Ronaldo was opposite him did everything Ron didnt and wasnt covered at all by the opponents, there is no wonder he isnt playing much. He isnt that good of a winger in his best season in Holland he played as an AM behind two strikers I believe. That said as a pure winger Valencia is better, which honestly makes me hope Obertan is pure class from the start, not because I dnt think Antonio will be useful(because he certainly will be) but honestly United need an extra touch of class in the side soon. There is Rooney and...............hopefully Anderson. (Giggs and Scholes go without saying but these days it's only on their days); Rio, Vidic, and Evra are awesome plus Oshea and Brown; BUT ONE THING IS CLEAR MANCHESTER UNITED COULD USE A TOUCH OF CLASS TO SET THEM APART, GOURCUFF PLEASE!! AGUERO AS WELL!! THE MUPPS ARE OUT...hehe but seriously if we spend money anyone those two are at the top of my list in terms of those that could be acquired

Park is technically better? That's a joke isn't it?

Valencia is a better dribbler and crosser then Park. The Korean on the other hand has more Manchester United's first team experience, which have taught him that sometimes (or much of the time) its better to pass the ball quickly and go inside the box rather then simply cross it, expecially if there is Rooney (1.78m), Scholes (5.7ft) and Owen/Tevez in the box surrounded by 6.3ft defenders. Its only a matter of time before Valencia recognise that.

Size makes very little difference to ability. I've seen 5.9ft basketball players out jump 6.8 ballers. Rooney has worked immensely on his heading ability and Owen is just rusty. Did you not watch the Spurs game last season when our two towering defenders failed to head the ball out and 5.11 Darren bent put the ball in the back of the net?

Will he play tomorrow?? I think if he does he will have the beating of wayne bridge, and just as long as berbatov and rooney are up top he can have something more to aim at compared to mid week where he looked isolated.

He needs to sort his decision making out a bit and start playing more instinctively and less hesitant, i suppose it is all part of the process of whether he will cut it as a united player, I still believe he will improve and become a valuable player for us

You're one amongst few.

I am sure ferguson and the whole united staff have high hopes for him. I am sure a lot of them members on the cafe have too, seems to early to be passing any concrete judgments considering he has started 2 maybe 3 premiership games for us... Give him some time, he will never be ronnie, obviously, but he can be a great winger in time which we are sure to benefit from.

Why do you think negatively about him?

High hopes can mean a lot of things. How high exactly?

Star of the team?
Best winger in the league?
Among the best wingers in europe?

I am sure ferguson and the whole united staff have high hopes for him. I am sure a lot of them members on the cafe have too, seems to early to be passing any concrete judgments considering he has started 2 maybe 3 premiership games for us... Give him some time, he will never be ronnie, obviously, but he can be a great winger in time which we are sure to benefit from.

Why do you think negatively about him?

I never criticised him before, i was just pointing that i don't have high hopes for him although i do think he will become a good player that will provide goals and become a decent member of our squad for the next few years.

I like him, looking forward to him coming into his own and proving a lot if people on here wrong.

high hopes: as in a player who can make consistent contributions to the teams forward play, can become a player we can rely on in big games, can become a regular starter for first 11 for united.

He isnt playing with great confidence at the minute, even if he is beating his man, he has new surroundings and this will take getting used to, when they are all on the same wave length he is sure to provide penetration and good delivery on the right.

high hopes: as in a player who can make consistent contributions to the teams forward play, can become a player we can rely on in big games, can become a regular starter for first 11 for united.

Those would be my general hopes for any player we sign.

Those would be my general hopes for any player we sign.

mine too, but not every player delivers with the high hopes they might have promised, and not every player comes with that expectation, some signings are more of a gamble, like tosic, owen, obertan ....

Valencia is proven in the league, has raw attributes to be a succesful winger, speed, power, knows how to beat his man etc. Its just whether he can harness it, and develop his game some more to become less predictable, ferguson is the best at bringing players talents to fruition and im just supprised by how quickly some people can seem to write him off.

Such a lack of patience on here these days.

Any new player needs to be given sufficient time to adapt and show their best form. We have been watching him for a long time and im sure Valencia can grow and further develop his game under our coaching staff. People have mentioned that he may be even more effective with an offensive wing partner from RB that can complement Nani/Evra on the left. Just be more supportive and see how he plays when our more attacking right backs are available for selection again. I expect to see him improve beyond all recognition throughout his Man Utd career.

High hopes can mean a lot of things. How high exactly?

Star of the team?
Best winger in the league?
Among the best wingers in europe?

Best winger in the team for starters.

That should be very achieveable.

I think we've got two potentially terrific wingers in both Nani and Valencia. It'll be interesting and enjoyable to watch them develop and unfold this season.

I think Nani has the greater talent and the greater potential. But if Valencia turns out to be better than Park, who has his place, then we've done OK.

I think Nani has the greater talent and the greater potential. But if Valencia turns out to be better than Park, who has his place, then we've done OK.

For £16 million...you'd REALLY hope so.

From the evidence so far...yes.

Right, so he's played 3 matches now, theres no chance his form will change at all over the rest of the season, so clearly its only Nani's performances that can possibly impact on the comparison.

Utterly, utterly retarded thing to say to be frank.

Yes. And if he plays very well we'll have more Portuguese wingers to Madrid stories this summer.

He turned down Madrid in January so I don't think he's interested in that.

Right, so he's played 3 matches now, theres no chance his form will change at all over the rest of the season, so clearly its only Nani's performances that can possibly impact on the comparison.

A lot of people have seen Valencia quite a few times for Wigan over the years and Ecuador too. Few would tell you he's better or has more potential than Nani.

He turned down Madrid in January so I don't think he's interested in that.

I'm not saying he's interested, but if he has a good season he'll be the next of our foreign players that the press link daily with Madrid.

He's played 3 seasons in the PL. Same as Nani.

Nani scores and creates far more, and I'm willing to bet he will continue to do so.

A lot of people have seen Valencia quite a few times for Wigan over the years and Ecuador too. Few would tell you he's better or has more potential than Nani.

That wasn't my point, you said that if Nani plays 'quite well' he will have had a better season than Valencia. You ignore any fluctuation in Valencia's performance and only account for Nani's. This suggests you are one of those who have already made their mind up about that lad and what he does won't impact on your opinion.

I'm not saying he's interested, but if he has a good season he'll be the next of our foreign players that the press link daily with Madrid.

But if he's not interested who gives a shit? Just stop reading the Mirror et al.

He's played 3 seasons in the PL. Same as Nani.

Nani scores and creates far more, and I'm willing to bet he will continue to do so.

Like I just said, you have to account for two people's performances in order to make a comparison, you can't just say that if Nani plays quite well he'll be better than Valencia.

If Nani plays quite well and Valencia plays poor then yes. If they both play quite well or if Valencia plays better then no, but you two don't account for any change from Valencia, and also seem to ignore the fact that Valencia was better than Nani against Spurs.

Like I just said, you have to account for two people's performances in order to make a comparison, you can't just say that if Nani plays quite well he'll be better than Valencia.

If Nani plays quite well and Valencia plays poor then yes. If they both play quite well or if Valencia plays better then no, but you two don't account for any change from Valencia, and also seem to ignore the fact that Valencia was better than Nani against Spurs.

I think this is fair, but you have to admit that Nani is by far the more erratic or mercurial of the two. There are days when he is brilliant and days (and hopefully we're starting to see the end of them) when he was pretty awful. Obviously I haven't seen as much Valencia as Nani, but it seems to me he is much more consistent. That being said, I think the previous poster was trying to say he expects Valencia to play at consistently a pretty high level, but Nani, if he plays well (i.e. up to his potential), would be better...

That wasn't my point, you said that if Nani plays 'quite well' he will have had a better season than Valencia. You ignore any fluctuation in Valencia's performance and only account for Nani's. This suggests you are one of those who have already made their mind up about that lad and what he does won't impact on your opinion.

I've seen him enough to know he's not as good as Nani. And I've seen enough of Nani to know he can be one of the best wingers in europe. Ronaldo and Messi aside, there is nobody he cant be as good as.

Valencia on the other hand still has to prove he can be one of the best wingers in the league. Thats his challenge for this season.

I never criticised him before, i was just pointing that i don't have high hopes for him although i do think he will become a good player that will provide goals and become a decent member of our squad for the next few years.

three words for people like you Evra Viddic Ferguson

Now as homework go through the Caff posting history to see how many people dismissed the above three as quickly as you are dismissing Valencia. Then consider how foolish you'll be to think you thought you knew better than SAF :lol:

Was much better than Park. Gave us a much more complete look as a team.

He is actually a lot better then what we have seen so far, right? :nervous:

Status
Not open for further replies.