Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
But overall he's just done ok.

I'm not saying he's not good enough, and I do think he'll get better as the season goes on, but he's still not done enough to dispel my(and many others') doubts.

That's fair enough. Overall I'd say he's done as well as could be expected so but the jury is still very much out.

To be honest i don't think ANYONE thought Valencia was Ronaldo's replacement or the 'new' Ronaldo!! Proof in the Valencia transfer forum thread would answer all them questions...

I think people were expecting he would add a extra dimension to the team, sadly this has not happened (in his first few games) and because hes new it only takes one bad game for people to reconsider their stance on him - its the whole Berba saga all over, first we were excited to get him, then worried about his contribution totally ignoring all the good he actually does but focusing on the one arguement that is "he doesnt run around as much as Tevez"

Just replace Berba with Valencia and "he doesnt run around as much as Tevez" with "hes not Ronaldo"

I think people were expecting he would add a extra dimension to the team, sadly this has not happened (in his first few games) and because hes new it only takes one bad game for people to reconsider their stance on him - its the whole Berba saga all over, first we were excited to get him, then worried about his contribution totally ignoring all the good he actually does but focusing on the one arguement that is "he doesnt run around as much as Tevez"

Just replace Berba with Valencia and "he doesnt run around as much as Tevez" with "hes not Ronaldo"

Bingo.

He's only done well so far in pre season, in the real games this season he's been rather ok/poor for me. Nani on the other hand has been quite the opposite and if Nani was producing performances like Valencia has been doing, I can't imagine the stick he would get from people on here.

Bad day at the office for him. But he kept going, and he never stopped trying to make Clichy work.

He'll be a good player for us.

I think he had terrible game today and was clearly the weakest link in our team.

anyhow - i want to point out one thing from his today's performance. there were a few situation where the ball was on the left wing or people were running from the left channel towards the center- I know that Valencia is an orthodox winger but staying / being glued to the side line in these situation is a basic error in positioning.

and old sins- heave touch and bad passing. very poor game.

but hey he played against the second best left back in the league and Arshavin so he is justified.

bollocks

Valencia needs to add some variety to his game, sort out his positioning and be a bit more adventurous with his approach (obviously as a by-product of him displaying some confidence in his own ability). He needs to understand that SAF bought him beause he saw something in him that convinced him he was good enough for United

People expected him to be our most reliable winger this season, taking over from Ronaldo in that respect. As in, our best winger who we could rely on to play well far more often than the others. Almost all of the doubts were about Nani and the backups, like Tosic.

Valencia has had a very slow start to the season though. Normally I say Valencia was solid but unspectacular. But today he didnt do enough going forwards to even say he put in a "solid" performance. He had one great dribble where he went past 3 players, but that was about it.

I'd honestly like to see Tosic given a go on the right hand side. If he cant do a bit more going forwards then I'm not sure why we bought him really. He looked ace in a recent international... seriously impressive. But doesnt even make the first team bench for us.

People say we need another quality winger in and if thats true, it looks like we need someone to play on the right rather than the left. But hopefully in 5 games time at least 2 of our wingers are flying.

He was very good, but his crossing was a bit wayward in the second half. His best competitive game for us so far.

Thought he was excellent, just needs to get out of the habit of putting crosses on the floor and/or too close to the keeper.

Looked promising tonight. Needs to work a little more on his first touch & final ball.

What did he do well really?

Good runs, took on and beat his man consistantly, great touch, cut inside and created a threat, largely passed it well, only thing letting him down was his crossing.

Edit - crossing was inconsistant, he did put some good ones in.

Shit Shit SHIIIIIT performances again by Valencia... He needs to learn how to play football... Just to point some of his weekness... His run without a ball is bad, his runing with the ball is weak, he doesnt make fast decesion, when he takes the ball he waits someone to pass it... He doesnt have a first touch pass at all...

Good runs, took on and beat his man consistantly, great touch, cut inside and created a threat, largely passed it well, only thing letting him down was his crossing.
Beat his man only to be caught up or to put in a cross to nobody? He never leaves his man for dead because he relies totally on his pace and not unpredictability. I thought he was average. Came across as a one trick pony, who gets the ball under control, kicks and runs, stops and passes/ crosses.

Shit Shit SHIIIIIT performances again by Valencia... He needs to learn how to play football... Just to point some of his weekness... His run without a ball is bad, his runing with the ball is weak, he doesnt make fast decesion, when he takes the ball he waits someone to pass it... He doesnt have a first touch pass at all...

Oh dear.

What a strange question. Didn't you catch the game?
I did. I just don't see what he did very well. At least Nani for all his frustrating endevours, came up with a shot that led to the goal. Valencia just seems to be very predictable. Doesn't seem like a very thoughtful player. A bit of a robot. Still early though, needs time.

Played well tonight I thought.

Bit leggy at the end but looked like our only genuine attacking threat for the first hour or so.

Yup, about right. His crosses were hit and miss in that game, some decent ones in the first half which nobody was willing to get at the end of.

He's a winger that might be suited for a 4-4-2 IMO. Decent game though. Had a poor second half after a promising first, nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

Beat his man only to be caught up or to put in a cross to nobody? He never leaves his man for dead because he relies totally on his pace and not unpredictability. I thought he was average. Came across as a one trick pony, who gets the ball under control, kicks and runs, stops and passes/ crosses.

You must have watched a different match.

What an idiot this lad is.

Some of the idiots on here...

He put in some good crosses but the lack of players in the box, and some misunderstandings with the forwards have obviously led to some people on here thinking he's a bad crosser and lacks end product.

His first touch was exellent btw.

The only thing he did all game was run fast and cross and none of his crosses met a striker or led to any attempt on goal. Yet he had a very good game? Decent at best.

He put in some good crosses but the lack of players in the box, and some misunderstandings with the forwards have obviously led to some people on here thinking he's a bad crosser and lacks end product.

I'm a big fan of his and thought he was great tonight, but his crosses were a bit inconsistent, he puts it on the floor a bit too often, but he'll soon sort that out.

Yes it was.

I did. I just don't see what he did very well. At least Nani for all his frustrating endevours, came up with a shot that led to the goal. Valencia just seems to be very predictable. Doesn't seem like a very thoughtful player. A bit of a robot. Still early though, needs time.

Now Nani really did have an average game. We created next to bugger all down the left. One decent shot (from a Valencia pass, as it happens) doesn't change that.

Valencia was a bit lacking in end product tonight but was the only winger to cause them any real problems. He also didn't have the benefit of playing alongside one of the best left-backs in Europe.

He wasn't shite, but he wasn't particularly good either. I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised about the positive reactions he got in the MOTM thread.

He's technically really good, wins his tackles and manages to keep hold of the ball very well. But his actions in the box are really a nightmare. Bad decision making, bad finishing skills. He's a potentially brilliant player, but he really needs to improve this aspect of his game.

Yup.

If Owen had stayed onside and converted that near-post opportunity and/or Scholes had made the most of his clever late run in the first half then they'd have changed their tune.

C'est la vie.

He was very good in the first half as he could use his speed - seemed like the left back became aware of that after the break which made Valencia quite invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.