Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing suggests he's not happy, though. I think he'll be fine in either way whether he remains or joins us.

But, if we surrendered from the deal because of the ban , I suspect us to try again to sign him next summer.
Well one of the most reliable Atleti sources said that he has told the club he wants to go plus he went on national TV in France completely open about his chances of moving knowing full well that it could come across as disrespectful. I guess we'll see if and what him and his advisors do next.

Well one of the most reliable Atleti sources said that he has told the club he wants to go plus he went on national TV in France completely open about his chances of moving knowing full well that it could come across as disrespectful. I guess we'll see if and what him and his advisors do next.

He may very well change his mind after the ban and decides to remain to support the club instead of appearing as a chicken who ran away from the club when the ban hit them. Players change their mind all the time.

This is a very good take on where things stand. I would tend to agree with what is written in this link. Have a look and see if you agree:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spts82
It does make sense. However, the one downside playing this game is United needing to have some sort of promise from Griezmann that we are the only club he's interested in joining. If we're playing hardball then other clubs could well offer a better deal to the selling club.

We need more clarity. When's Pogba's next live stream? All of us get on there asking about Griezzy.

Sorry to get anyone excited but the guy who tweeted it has now taken it down. He did two separate tweets one quoting LeQuipe then another with a link to a video on their site but the video is a month old and it's just someone stating he is a marketing dream.
Its ok. Even without that tweet I still think it is in the progress of getting it done, in a big way. :D

The Txiki who signed Navas, Jovetic, Negredo, Demichelis, Fernando, Sagna, Mangala, Bony, Otamendi, Bravo and Nolito? I'm not sure we're dealing with a mastermind there, either.
Nah city are perfect mate, didn't you hear? They burp skittles and shit out rainbows over there.

Be very strange if this wasn't still on... makes no sense this briefing. We already knew Zlatan was injured for a while now - all of a sudden we're using this as an excuse? Didn't Jose say he already handed his list to Ed in March?

All very strange.

And then the 'Jose watch advert' yesterday, this Griezz guy taking the piss now:lol:

Either Greizmann signs a new deal - we look stupid or Greizmann signs for City or Bayern and we cry. We are saving face so one of these scenarios is going to happen.

He may very well change his mind after the ban and decides to remain to support the club instead of appearing as a chicken who ran away from the club when the ban hit them. Players change their mind all the time.

He wants to leave for trophies, them being able to sign no one makes the situation worse.

Crap news to be honest. I don't get why so many of you think he will sign. United have come out and said that, not Gillian Ball bag...

However optimistic people are about it, this isn't good news. I think I will let Griezzyy leave my mind for now and will not search his name on google for news from now on like a saddo. What will be will be and everything happens for a reason. I lay my trust in the officlals at United and I'm sure they will do what is best for our club. Part of me feels how can we possibly not snap an amazing player like him up (Top 5 in the world on his day imo).

But yeah whatever.. clearly the United bosses are working what they want and they are the experts....

Wait, what? People think Griezmann will stay there out of loyalty because they cannot sign a replacement? They'll be weaker because they can't conduct business this summer, meaning there'll be even less of a chance of winning anything. The prospect of staying gets worse not better, unless people think he wants to keep his current teammates happy as a no. 1 concern.

wow.

He wants to leave for trophies, them being able to sign no one makes the situation worse.

He can stay this season then leave next one, which I have feeling this is what gonna happen after today.

I think you've got it right. But I'd also add that in the event of us not being able to add a good striker to the squad, we'll trigger Griezmann's clause later in the window anyway.

I expect us to sign him very late in August
Thats what i think too.

He can stay this season then leave next one, which I have feeling this is what gonna happen after today.
Might as well go for other players. There's no fecking point waiting for him till next season.

Might as well go for other players. There's no fecking point waiting for him till next season.

We won't wait for anyone. I'm sure Jose has other replacements in his list if this transfer failed.

Sorry just joined. Why do sky think we've "cooled" interest?..

sky are a joke with news usually these days so are we to believe or?

Doubt it. Its not as if they'd have expected the ban to be overturned anyways so its not a surprise for those involved.

When does the transfer window open?
The 2017 summer transfer window opens on Friday, June 9 for English clubs.

Do European leagues have different dates?
The transfer windows in France, Germany, Italy and Spain open on Thursday, June 1.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/10862752/when-does-the-transfer-window-open

I'm sure that's wrong, it's 1 July

http://talksport.com/football/when-...-deadline-day-all-fans-premier-league-and-efl

Definitely July.

I'm sure that's wrong, it's 1 July
I think the internal windows open at different times, so players can be bought, sold and registered after the season finishes proper inc. European finals. Whereas to register transfers internationally it opens on July 1st.

The ban was already in place when he made his comments, and there was only an outside chance it would be lifted. The deal cannot have hinged on this ban being lifted if we assume everybody involved is sane and sound. He has talked his way out of the hearts of AM fans and half way out of the club ... that seems really stupid if a deal depends on the ban, considering it was already there. He'll probably not be fully motivated for another season at AM either if he feels obliged to stay merely to do AM a favor while probably not winning anything. He has already said he's disillusioned with life at AM (not his literal words) because of a lack of trophies. He really needs to leave this summer.

Doubt it. Its not as if they'd have expected the ban to be overturned anyways so its not a surprise for those involved.

Then what's the reason of this strange turn of the events after the ban ?

The most likely scenario IMO is that the main issue is not negotiations with Atleti but negotiations with Griezmann's representatives. United don't gain anything from threatening to walk away from the table in terms of the relationship with Atleti, who don't want to sell anyway. But if they are haggling back and forth with Griezmann's people about wages, image rights, etc right now, then it could be strategically advantageous to leak a story that they have shifted to other targets. I think you'll still get him and this is just another phase in what are always prolonged transfer sagas.

Then what's the reason of this strange turn of the events after the ban ?

Atletico being cnuts about the structure or maybe even the deal itself if they can. Don't think these clauses are as straightforward for foreign clubs.

:lol: If it turns out this was all for an improved contract I'm never trusting anyone ever again. Not even my girlfriend.

I know you are lying......there is no way you have a girlfriend:nono:

don't get one thing - if there's a release cause and someone activates it, it doesn't stop Athletico from being able to sell the player. Hence we can still easily get him if we wanted. The events today just confirmed they can't sign new players for a certain period.

The ban was already in place when he made his comments, and there was only an outside chance it would be lifted. The deal cannot have hinged on this ban being lifted if we assume everybody involved is sane and sound. He has talked his way out of the hearts of AM fans and half way out of the club ... that seems really stupid if a deal depends on the ban, considering it was already there. He'll probably not be fully motivated for another season at AM either if he feels obliged to stay merely to do AM a favor while probably not winning anything. He has already said he's disillusioned with life at AM (not his literal words) because of a lack of trophies. He really needs to leave this summer.

Same question I asked in my previous post, then why the transfer suddenly takes a strange turn after the ban was confirmed today ? Something don't add up. Everything was going for us going for him and everything is agreed and the remaining thing is to negotiate the price or pay the buyout clause, then suddenly he's not our priority and we're going for a number 9 instead. Something happened after that ban got confirmed that I don't understand.

Regarding motivation, I doubt even Simeone has any motivation for staying either but he decides to remain for one more season.

I always said this deal hinged on their transfer ban.
If we want him that bad, we'd pay the 89m up front, it's just rare for deals of such amounts being paid in one go.
With how this has been briefed though, it really does point towards a 4231 style of formation

It does make sense. However, the one downside playing this game is United needing to have some sort of promise from Griezmann that we are the only club he's interested in joining. If we're playing hardball then other clubs could well offer a better deal to the selling club.
I seriously there's many clubs that would be willing to pay 100m euros upfront, if any.

We're hard pressed, and I see us paying up eventually. Unless we get Mbappe

Atletico being cnuts about the structure or maybe even the deal itself if they can. Don't think these clauses are as straightforward for foreign clubs.

Ducker said yesterday that United have no problem paying 100m but on the lifetime in contract, but if Atletico asked for the whole cash to be paid upfront it's a different thing. I have a feeling this is the problem.

Maybe Ed wanted to negotiate on the price and not pay the whole release clause upfront which Atletico insisted after the ban ?

Why not just take a 5 year loan to finance the cash payment and pay the bank in installments instead.

Holding back the deal because of payment terms makes no sense. The Glazers could even loan 100m to Man Utd interest free.

Ducker said yesterday that United have no problem paying 100m but on the lifetime in contract, but if Atletico asked for the whole cash to be paid upfront it's a different thing. I have a feeling this is the problem.

Maybe Ed wanted to negotiate on the price and not pay the whole release clause upfront which Atletico insisted after the ban ?

Its almost certainly the problem and would also explain our "sources" misleading the press that we are moving on.

Forgive my ignorance but if a player has a buy out clause (Griezman) and a club (United) agree to pay it, can his current club block it ? Or is it down to the player to agree the move ? Or does he even have a choice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.