Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its almost certainly the problem and would also explain our "sources" misleading the press that we are moving on.

Makes no sense to me for two reasons. First, if they don't have the cash on hand, a club like United could easily borrow that money. Second, given that Atleti don't want to sell Griezmann, it makes zero sense for them to do anything except demand full payment up front. Why should they make it easier for somebody to take their best player? Unless Woodward is a total idiot, he will have understood this the whole time.

IMO, the two most likely scenarios are:

Griezmann just wants to stay for another year at Atleti and United's statement is to save face.

Griezmann and United are haggling over wages and United's statement is intended to gain leverage in that negotiation.

Forgive my ignorance but if a player has a buy out clause (Griezman) and a club (United) agree to pay it, can his current club block it ? Or is it down to the player to agree the move ? Or does he even have a choice ?

The buyout clause simply provides the player with the opportunity to buy himself out of an existing contract for a set amount without the club having any opportunity to keep the contract alive.

The personal agreement between the player and the new club has nothing to do with that.

I also highly doubt it's legally possible to agree upon a clause which would enable a third party to force the player into a move to its club.

Makes no sense to me for two reasons. First, if they don't have the cash on hand, a club like United could easily borrow that money. Second, given that Atleti don't want to sell Griezmann, it makes zero sense for them to do anything except demand full payment up front. Why should they make it easier for somebody to take their best player? Unless Woodward is a total idiot, he will have understood this the whole time.

Griezmann just wants to stay for another year at Atleti and United's statement is to save face.

Griezmann and United are haggling over wages and United's statement is intended to gain leverage in that negotiation.

Or another player we wanted has become available / shown interest.

Mbappe / Bale etc.

The buyout clause simply provides the player with the opportunity to buy himself out of an existing contract for a set amount without the club having any opportunity to keep the contract alive.

The personal agreement between the player and the new club has nothing to do with that.

I also highly doubt it's legally possible to agree upon a clause which would enable a third party to force the player into a move to its club.

In short the decision lies with the player ?

I'm normally a transfer muppet but I'm pretty relaxed about Griezmann. I think the deal is already done and both parties are co-operating to make sure the news comes out at the right time.

Madrid need to save face now the transfer ban is confirmed. If it appears they have let him go without a fight the fans will riot. My guess is it will drag on for a few weeks with lots of ersatz twists in the news, then be announced around 20th June.

Or... possibly 7th July - GR7/7/7... That would have some promo value.

Last edited:
Yeh I think this comes down to Atletico wanting it paid in a lump and us wanting to stagger it. It'll happen.

Waaaay too much over reaction on here today.

Just a bit of grandstanding I should imagine. We'll pay up. Let's see if Woody can manage to not pay more than the release clause actually. That'd be progress for him :lol:

United has a revenue of 600m so they have a healthy cashflow. Plus I'm sure with their financial strength they can overdraw from banks. That can't be the problem either

This reminds me when atletico issued a statement rejecting our bid the day before we actually signed him. Doubt this changes things

Forgive my ignorance but if a player has a buy out clause (Griezman) and a club (United) agree to pay it, can his current club block it ? Or is it down to the player to agree the move ? Or does he even have a choice ?
Yes, the club can block it.

Thankfully looks like I missed the meltdown and a bit of recovery is due.

Probably nothing that hasn't been said already, but if Griezmann was 3rd choice behind Mbappe and Morata then doesn't it seem strange that we were apparently closer to getting him than the other two? The former 2 players have almost no clear link with United whatsoever. The Zlatan 'excuse', is exactly that, an excuse. He's been injured for months so there's absolutely no way we've now just realised a No.9 is a priority.

Regarding the transfer ban, it's clear there's a link between that and us 'cooling our interest'. Either AG has decided he wants to stay with Atletico through their ban, or they are being difficult and want the full fee upfront. Personally if it's the latter, then I would stall while we get our other targets first, and then see what's left in the chest. Using that we can either negotiate with Atletico, for potentially a future buy or if we have plenty of money left leverage a a higher fee if they're being difficult. There's no point in Griezmann staying IMO, and I think this is unlikely. First of all, it's not his fault Madrid got themselves banned. They screwed themselves over. Secondly, Atletico aren't that poor a team that they cannot cope with out him. He will no doubt be a loss, but the funds they will receive should more than cover an adequate replacement for registration later similar to Barca and Turan (and hence this is why I think they would want more money immediately).

AG said some pretty strong statements, that he wants to leave and win titles. Think of it this way, Atletico can now not strengthen during this window whilst Barca and Real almost certainly will. It's not going to get any easier for Atletico Madrid to win titles, and he'd be wasting another season by staying there. From our perspective, I can understand waiting to secure other targets first then seeing how it goes.

All in all, there's still a good chance we can prise him yet. We just need to be patient as fans - it's only the first day of the window! Let's see how things develop.

Ducker said yesterday that United have no problem paying 100m but on the lifetime in contract, but if Atletico asked for the whole cash to be paid upfront it's a different thing. I have a feeling this is the problem.

Maybe Ed wanted to negotiate on the price and not pay the whole release clause upfront which Atletico insisted after the ban ?

Yup, that's what I meant by structure. The structure of the deal.

I don't think this is true? What is point of release clause being implemented in the first place?
For a release clause to be enforced, the player has to bring this amount as a whole and buy himself out of a contract.
Clubs usually agree to how that payment is structured. As long as that fee isn't paid in whole, there's nothing stopping the selling club from rejecting it.

Perhaps it's the fact were getting shut of ibra because of the injury and the money for griezmann now needs to be for a new cf l bet ibra would of stayed 2 seasons if he hadn't of been injured and griezmann was the cherry on the top. Its looking like other deals are costing more and perhaps more advanced or we havent got a 200+ million warchest

For a release clause to be enforced, the player has to bring this amount as a whole and buy himself out of a contract.
Clubs usually agree to how that payment is structured. As long as that fee isn't paid in whole, there's nothing stopping the selling club from rejecting it.

But if the fee is paid in whole, then the selling club can't do anything about it.

I think it's this:

Or this:

Or another player we wanted has become available / shown interest.

Mbappe / Bale etc.

It's so obvious that he's going to sign a new contract in the next couple of weeks and we're getting out in front of it. Absolutely no other reason to for a total about face and the nonsensical stories about a change in priorities.

So if a release clause is met there's nothing the club can do about it, which was the original question.

So if a release clause is met there's nothing the club can do about it, which was the original question.
Must have misunderstood the question. Thought the poster was asking, if just bidding the R/C amount was enough.

As far as I figure, this is the worst case scenario:

Griezmann feels bad for Atletico and agrees to stay one more year because of their transfer ban. He signs a new contract with a significantly increased wage, but the buyout clause remains around the same figure so that he can make his move next season. Hell, maybe as a 'thank you' they decrease the clause or alternatively agree that they'll allow the buying club to pay in installments.

That's worst case scenario.

As far as I figure, this is the worst case scenario:

Griezmann feels bad for Atletico and agrees to stay one more year because of their transfer ban. He signs a new contract with a significantly increased wage, but the buyout clause remains around the same figure so that he can make his move next season. Hell, maybe as a 'thank you' they decrease the clause or alternatively agree that they'll allow the buying club to pay in installments.

That's worst case scenario.
In before the edit...

Status
Not open for further replies.