Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of me wonders how much 'losing interest' is based on not wanting to screw with AM so much. Besides AG not wanting to screw his current team, maybe Utd don't want to poison the waters with AM, as we'd like to buy from them again in the future. Yeah, we can force the issue and sign AG, leaving AM in the lurch since they can't sign anyone til January, but at what cost in our relationship? Of course, we can all say 'screw it' and do the deal anyway, but maybe Utd is just giving AM some space to re-evaluate.

BTW, what's the difference in financial accounting if we paid in full up front vs in multiple installments? I figure the transfer fee is still written out over the course of the contract, whether it's lump sum or installments, but maybe the cash flow is the major difference.
If the club relationship is the issue I think it's a silly reason. Who knows if we'll want to buy another AM player again, it's been years since we signed De Gea. By that time their board could have changed entirely. Anyway, I'm pretty sure a little extra money would sweeten them up again.

I doubt this has anything to do with that. It's either that Griezmann told United in advance the deal is on only if the ban is lifted, or it's a negotiating tactic. Strange timing though if it's the latter.

It is just silly. If we are indeed after Mbappe and Morata then of course them two would take priority. As one is heavily linked with Milan and the other with Madrid and City. Whereas with Griezmanm we can secure the deal anytime before September 1st. It's not difficult to follow that logic.

You dont let Griezmann wait, you snap him up. Chasing Mbappe is silly

Not being silly, of course we can, but there's other positions we need to strengthen too. I don't realistically see us spending around 200m+ on 2 players alone.

We can buy both and also get Fabinho and Keane for about 200m (pounds). And that's not even our limit, we can go well beyond that if necessary.

People keep saying Morata, but I thought he was pretty much nailed on to go to AC Milan? I can't see him being a valid option anymore.

So it's Mbappe/Lukaku or bust.

I remember reading Madrid valued him at around 80m or so. Coupled with Griezmann's cost, that's still a lot of money.

Milan supposedly are signing him for around 60m euros.

All the strikers we are linked with will cost around 80-100m. I find it very unlikely we will sign both Griezmann and a striker, especially taking into consideration we need to strengthen other positions too. We aren't City.

Agree, we don't have a £300 million budget as many seem to think on here. Despite breaking world record for Pogba our total outlay was £150 million last summer and later in January we got £50 million from sales of Schneiderlin and Depay and further freed up wages with departure of Schweinsteiger.

Compared to last summer we need fixing in more areas, most notably a LB, CB, DM, AM, ST and perhaps a winger too. Dropping £180 million on Griezmann and a striker (Mbappe/Lukaku/Belotti) is highly unlikely.

How much do you think Morata would cost?

Real Madrid want rid

Madrid want £50 million for Morata, he isn't exactly cheap.

We can buy both and also get Fabinho and Keane for about 200m (pounds). And that's not even our limit, we can go well beyond that if necessary.

Let's assume we sign Griezmann for £87 million, drop the same on Lukaku/Belotti. That is £175 million in total. Fabinho isn't going to cost less than £35 million, Keane let's say £25 million. We still need a left back and a winger. Two targets we are linked for these positions are Mendy £40 million and Perisic £45 million. Add all of that and our outlay this summer will read £320 million, that is extremely far fetched.

Is it possible we've put this on the back burner as Morata is on the verge of signing for Milan and we want to see if we can convince him to join us instead. Obviously if we waited a week before trying we would probably be too late

I said this ten days back in the 'four players' thread.

Don't get the constant links with Monaco players. They have been wonderful this season but Mourinho has never set his team up in that style. The only players he might go after are Fabinho and Mendy.

My fab four (based on Mourinho's preference):

1) Mandzukic
2) Willian
3) Pepe
4) Oriol Romeu

Experienced centre-back, stronger spine, proper winger and a target-man, all of them with the work ethic José desires. And yes, I'm not sure about Griezmann coming when we have Martial, Rashford, Mkhitaryan and Mata. Playing three of them will easily provide the characteristics and level of Griezmann.

Speak a lot of sense, don't I? :smirk:

Milan supposedly are signing him for around 60m euros.

Ah fair enough, that's a decent purchase for that price tbh. Just really depends on whether or not we can get our CF target for below the prices being touted.

You dont let Griezmann wait, you snap him up. Chasing Mbappe is silly

What? How is it in anyway silly? You go for best players. You try to get them, and if you don't, well then so be it.

For all we know United could already have a verbal agreement with Griezmann as been reported by the way.

I don't get the silliness. We can buy Griezmann and a striker like Morata in the same window.
I'm still hoping that is the case. It's not like we have to wait to buy griezmann just because we prioritise the striker's position.

Is it possible we've put this on the back burner as Morata is on the verge of signing for Milan and we want to see if we can convince him to join us instead. Obviously if we waited a week before trying we would probably be too late
It's possible to pursue more than one player at a time. I have no doubt that's exactly what we're doing.

Agree, we don't have a £300 million budget as many seem to think on here. Despite breaking world record for Pogba our total outlay was £150 million last summer and later in January we got £50 million from sales of Schneiderlin and Depay and further freed up wages with departure of Schweinsteiger.

Compared to last summer we need fixing in more areas, most notably a LB, CB, DM, AM, ST and perhaps a winger too. Dropping £180 million on Griezmann and a striker (Mbappe/Lukaku/Belotti) is highly unlikely.

Madrid want £50 million for Morata, he isn't exactly cheap.

Let's assume we sign Griezmann for £87 million, drop the same on Lukaku/Belotti. That is £175 million in total. Fabinho isn't going to cost less than £35 million, Keane let's say £25 million. We still need a left back and a winger. Two targets we are linked for these positions are Mendy £40 million and Perisic £45 million. Add all of that and our outlay this summer will read £320 million, that is extremely far fetched.

We're not going to buy Griezmann and Lukaku or Bellotti. Morata on the other hand is completely doable and probably more appropriate as well given that Ibra will be back at some point.

I don't think this is over. Atletico are clearly adamant that the buy-out clause needs to be met but, they probably want all of it up front and probably become even more firm on that when the ban got upheld. So this could be a way of telling Griezmann and his adviser they are going to have to force the issue on their end.

I remember reading Madrid valued him at around 80m or so. Coupled with Griezmann's cost, that's still a lot of money.
I'm reading that the deal between Milan and Real was for €50m which is very reasonable. I said it before, but at this moment, it is very strange for a footballer with no affection for Milan to choose them over us.

Last edited:
I'm reading that the deal between Milan and Real was for €50m which is very reasonable. I said it before, but at this moment, it is very strange for a footballer with no affection for Milan to choose them over us.

Isn't he moving there because of his wife or something?

I don't think this is over. Atletico are clearly adamant that the buy-out clause needs to be met but, they probably want all of it up front and probably become even more firm on that when the ban got upheld. So this could be a way of telling Griezmann and his adviser they are going to have to force the issue on their end.
Why would they want the entire amount up front because of the ban? They'd receive a huge sum with little outgoing, so make huge profits and be subject to a large tax bill. Surely they'd be better off receiving the money as and when they intend to spend it on replacements so the amounts could be offset and so lowering their tax burden?

He's a top class player, although not quite the absolute elite level. My reservations with him have nothing to do with his ability, just more apprehensive about his commitment. Can't help think it likely that he'd pivot for a move to Barca/Real in a couple of years (or right away if we aren't fighting for the title come the end of April).

He'd obviously improve us. But where would that leave Martial? Have people given up on Martial because he had a poor season?

Isn't he moving there because of his wife or something?
That could be one of the reasons. But if a footballer or any professional to choose a job based on what their spouse's geographical preference is, then that's ridiculous.

If reports from Di Marzio are accurate, which I believe them to be, then Mourinho has Morata as one of his main targets. I think we'll get him.

That could be one of the reasons. But if a footballer or any professional to choose a job based on what their spouse's geographical preference is, then that's ridiculous.

If reports from Di Marzio are accurate, which I believe them to be, then Mourinho has Morata as one of his main targets. I think we'll get him.
His wife is Italian and wanted to move back home. Women are powerful unfortunately as we've seen with Edurne + Posh.

check griezmann twitter,he posted a pic advertising a watch and I could swear he was wearing our new away kit..(check the shorts)

How is this not really obvious to people?

This briefing happened straight after the CAS decision. If we were willing to pay the 100m buyout clause we would have done it.

Clearly we were trying to negotiate with atletico to either pay a reduced fee or pay it over many years. The CAS ruling screwed that chance.

The idea we have cooled off interest because of ibras injury? What the injury that happened 2 months ago?

Since when do people believe anything that comes out of utd regarding transfers?

We're not willing/cant afford release clause in one lump sum, as soon as it became clear that was the only option, suddenly we are not 'as interested'.

Nothing else to see here

'Can't afford'... I'm lost here? Aren't we meant to be the richest football club in the world?

It's impossible to know what is going on here.

Maybe we have hanged our minds.

Maybe other targets have opened up.

Maybe it's a negotiating stance on wages.

Who fecking knows.

There aren't many players out there that we can reasonable target that are of his calibre.

I am inclined to believe this. The ball is in Griezmann's court; if he wants to come to Utd, he's going to have to come out and say it himself.

I'm conflicted because I think that he wants to sign for Unted, mainly for marketing and money reasons but at the same time I wouldn't leave Atletico during the ban if I was him, because he has friends there, he spent a good time and he probably cares about the club.

Sort of expecting Griezmann to sign a new deal in the next few weeks, but also wouldn't be surprised if this drags on until around the opening weekend of the season and we just cave in on the fee. I was expecting it to be wrapped up by mid June but if we are signing him then it's going to be drawn out. Hate summer windows.

Whatever we do, I trust Mourinho's transfer record. The man knows how to put together a team and one that gains almost instant success and we are a very attractive club to about 99% of players and we are willing to spend silly money. The summer business will be fine and we will be vastly improved come August 12th.

He'll be coming, but not until next year. The transfer ban being upheld is probably what decided this, and now we'll go with the "not a priority" -excuse as this is probably the best solution for all parts right now. AM won't lose a wc-player without getting to replace him, Griezmann won't leave in bad terms and we're more in the need of a striker right now than a 10. This makes sense.

He'll be coming, but not until next year. The transfer ban being upheld is probably what decided this, and now we'll go with the "not a priority" -excuse as this is probably the best solution for all parts right now. AM won't lose a wc-player without getting to replace him, Griezmann won't leave in bad terms and we're more in the need of a striker right now than a 10. This makes sense.

Atletico don't have a say.

I'm conflicted because I think that he wants to sign for Unted, mainly for marketing and money reasons but at the same time I wouldn't leave Atletico during the ban if I was him, because he has friends there, he spent a good time and he probably cares about the club.
I agree. I do think he will sign, but perhaps next summer. If he does stick around for a year at Atletico that tells me his character is top drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.