Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say this seems really strange.

Why was Pogba so coy about the signing last week? Why did Griezmann say there was a 60% chance he'd join United? Ibra got injured three months ago, it's not like his injury is a new thing.

Can only think the Atletico transfer ban is a game-changer.
But you'd have to be extremely naive not to think that both United and Griezmann knew the ban would be upheld.
United wouldn't have entered discussions with both the player, and the club, not knowing what was likely to happen. As has been said many times, the decision today would only change the negotiating tactic that United use, as Atletico would most likely want full payment or a huge chunk up front, whereas United would rather pay the fee over the lifetime of the contract.

But you'd have to be extremely naive not to think that both United and Griezmann knew the ban would be upheld.
United wouldn't have entered discussions with both the player, and the club, not knowing what was likely to happen. As has been said many times, the decision today would only change the negotiating tactic that United use, as Atletico would most likely want full payment or a huge chunk up front, whereas United would rather pay the fee over the lifetime of the contract.

Exactly it was always a possibility. It's not exactly a new development. I can't believe that the interviews that AG did, he'd risk pissing of his current employers where he could end up stuck, without being given assurances.

Why, oh why Woody isn't thinking of all the muppets' wellbeing? We know he has bottomless wallet, but isn't he supposed to have a heart too?!

Agree with the people who've said that this is all marketing. It keeps us in the conversation all summer and builds up anticipation until the player is eventually signed. Journalists profit as well, since they get the clicks, even if they lose a bit of credibility.

It's pretty obvious this is a case of "we didn't want him anyway" to save face.
Not at all, i think it's a case of United piling the pressure on Atletico to agree to their terms.
Of course Atletico don't have to agree to anything, but if Griezmann has indeed asked to leave, and said the stuff he's said in interviews, then it puts them in a precarious position. Do they keep a player that wants out and will likely be unhappy and possibly unpopular both in the dressing room and maybe with the fans, or do you accept he wants to go and take the money you need, whilst you can?

Griezmann will receive a proposal of extension and renewal of contract from Atletico in the next hours

Griezmann will receive a proposal of extension and renewal of contract from Atletico in the next hours

:lol: If it turns out this was all for an improved contract I'm never trusting anyone ever again. Not even my girlfriend.

Not at all, i think it's a case of United piling the pressure on Atletico to agree to their terms.
Of course Atletico don't have to agree to anything, but if Griezmann has indeed asked to leave, and said the stuff he's said in interviews, then it puts them in a precarious position. Do they keep a player that wants out and will likely be unhappy and possibly unpopular both in the dressing room and maybe with the fans, or do you accept he wants to go and take the money you need, whilst you can?

He will sign a new deal mate.

This is catastrophic. We need to sign someone! Even a noodle partner will do at this point!

Huh? He said Griezmann is 3rd priority. Seeing as we won't get Mbappe and Morata is joining Milan, that means we should still be interested in Griezmann.

Mbappe and Morata both proper strikers whereas Griezmann is not. Di Marzio said he's 3rd in terms of priority and almost everyone talked shit about it and now that English journos were briefed that he's not our top target or interest has cooled down. It's obvious to me, United like Griezmann but there are other players they'd rather have.

I am re reading those cocksure posts earlier in this thread. "This is done, let's focus on other targets". Wonder how these posters are feeling now.

I am re reading those cocksure posts earlier in this thread. "This is done, let's focus on other targets". Wonder how these posters are feeling now.

You tell us. You're the Nostradamus here.

You're misunderstanding. By it's done, let's focus on other targets they meant he's not signing so we should focus our efforts elsewhere. Honest mistake

It's not marketing folks, it's our classic face saving 'we didn't want him anyway' like with Pedro, Kroos, Thiago, Silva and loads of other players we've been linked throughout several windows. All the journalists have used the term 'cool their interest', it's most obviously a briefing and club don't feed gospel, they only feed what they want out there.

All this talk of priority shifting makes little sense to me, it was obvious before Ibra's injury we need more goals from rest of the team. After his injury, not only do we have to replace his goals but also improve the attack which was already misfiring in tandem with Ibra. Also, this Atletico ban has little bearing on the signing. He has a release clause which if met then Atletico are powerless to stop him from moving.

This transfer is obviously in Griezmann hands and with the timing of all these articles just feels like he has turned us down and now we're trying to say he was never a priority anyway.

Lets focus on what we've got. Fellaini is better as no 10 for example

Well anyone that is over a certain age and has been through this a lot knows the score. We could theoretically go for Hernandez - if we wanted too and he wouldn't be overly expensive. Especially since Jose said he wouldn't have sold him. I think there's a lot of posturing. Waiting on Ibrahimovic and obviously Rooney. But of course if he signs, no one will remember your post ;) certainly not enough to ask you how you feel now.

Status
Not open for further replies.