Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try again later, you might get a green laughing smiley, 3rd time's the charm.

Hey Im trying to bring some debate on the issue. Sure Griezmann is more talented, he's a better scorer and a better dribbler. His movement is top notch and he can pass the ball without looking silly. On the other hand Fellaini is tall and he's got great chest control. He also inherited Moyes/Everton work ethic too

The club might indeed have dropped interest. That's their prerogative.
However, dropping interest cause of Zlatan's injury is bollocks.

It's not marketing folks, it's our classic face saving 'we didn't want him anyway' like with Pedro, Kroos, Thiago, Silva and loads of other players we've been linked throughout several windows. All the journalists have used the term 'cool their interest', it's most obviously a briefing and club don't feed gospel, they only feed what they want out there.

All this talk of priority shifting makes little sense to me, it was obvious before Ibra's injury we need more goals from rest of the team. After his injury, not only do we have to replace his goals but also improve the attack which was already misfiring in tandem with Ibra. Also, this Atletico ban has little bearing on the signing. He has a release clause which if met then Atletico are powerless to stop him from moving.

This transfer is obviously in Griezmann hands and with the timing of all these articles just feels like he has turned us down and now we're trying to say he was never a priority anyway.
And theres the problem. Due to this ban Atletico will want a large lump sum upfront or the entire amount upfront, whereas United will want to pay it in smaller amounts over a long period.

Don't get me wrong, United could, if they wanted too, afford to pay the entire thing all in one, but they obviously don't want too. Atletico are under no obligation to accept a structured deal, and their ban means they're unlikely to do so as they can't immediately replace him.

It's not marketing folks, it's our classic face saving 'we didn't want him anyway' like with Pedro, Kroos, Thiago, Silva and loads of other players we've been linked throughout several windows. All the journalists have used the term 'cool their interest', it's most obviously a briefing and club don't feed gospel, they only feed what they want out there.

All this talk of priority shifting makes little sense to me, it was obvious before Ibra's injury we need more goals from rest of the team. After his injury, not only do we have to replace his goals but also improve the attack which was already misfiring in tandem with Ibra. Also, this Atletico ban has little bearing on the signing. He has a release clause which if met then Atletico are powerless to stop him from moving.

This transfer is obviously in Griezmann hands and with the timing of all these articles just feels like he has turned us down and now we're trying to say he was never a priority anyway.

Maybe he just feels a bit of loyalty to Simeone and Athletico and doesn't want to leave them in the lurch when they cant replace him.
Give them one more year?

I actually think the transfer ban has made him decide to stay for one more season so Atletico isn't screwed. He has probably told us that in private, and we have respected his wishes and released this briefing so everyone can move on without anybody looking bad.

I share this theory and it makes absolute sense. Griezmann looks like a really cool team guy and I have heard this confirmed a few times. I knew that if the ban was upheld then case closed for now. He certainly wants to come to United but not at any cost whatsoever. He's already a legend at Atletico, why would he want to walk away, hurt them and spoil his legacy? For some, football is not just all about money.

I also think the payment plan could be a second factor here. Atletico will be desperate to get paid one time right now and that is easy to understand. They are building and they can't register players now. If I am negotiating for player A and I know you have lost your star man to another club and you can't register player A now, I will squeeze the life out of that negotiation. Atletico will be extremely vulnerable if Griezmann leaves right now and this vulnerability will go beyond team performance in the absence of Griezmann to lacking aces in transfer negotiations.

I know what you mean but I just don't see why he'd feel guilty or "leave them in the lurch" or stay when they know they'll be less competitive due to the ban when he's not done anything wrong, and they'll get their £85m and it's their fault they're in this mess because they broke the rules 64 times, I don't think he owes them anything to be honest.

Griezmann won't happen now this summer, but we'll get a #9 and some sort of winger/wide forward and be better off next season than we were this.

I know what you mean but I just don't see why he'd feel guilty or "leave them in the lurch" or stay when they know they'll be less competitive due to the ban when he's not done anything wrong, and they'll get their £85m and it's their fault they're in this mess because they broke the rules 64 times, I don't think he owes them anything to be honest.
Plus Atletico only face a ban until January. They can buy players this summer but they can't register them until January.
It's not like he'd be leaving them in dire straights or anything like that

Hey Im trying to bring some debate on the issue. Sure Griezmann is more talented, he's a better scorer and a better dribbler. His movement is top notch and he can pass the ball without looking silly. On the other hand Fellaini is tall and he's got great chest control. He also inherited Moyes/Everton work ethic too

How dare you mock the prodigal son on redcafe? You should feel ashamed of yourself, you instigator!

Haha sorry boss. Was actually laughing at the meltdown rather than the "joke" if that makes you feel any better.

no meltdown whatsoever. I can't care less about Griezmann. France seem to have had trouble accommodating both Pogba and him and we cant afford having this issue at OT. Its a genuine attempt to create a serious debate. For me Fellaini is a relic of Big Sam's and Moyeses ideology whose dying up at top level. However Im aware people rate him in here and even I can tell that's he's better as no 10 then as DM. I am interesting to see what Fellaini's fan think. Can he be our Griezmann?

Reads as he's obviously informed us today that he's not coming and signing a new contract and we released the statement to save face before the new contract is announced.

Shame really looked so obvious, it would annoy me even more if we spunked £100million on lukaku the guy is hit or miss

When we were at our best under Fergie we had Rooney playing that role with a world class striker ahead of him. That's exactly what we need to recreate right now.

Maybe we should give Rooney a second shot.

Personally I'd target Bale over Griezmann. That's not taking anything away from griezmann but we all know what Bale did by himself in an average spurs team here in the PL.

Maybe Ronaldo will move more centrally and covered by AM's and make Bale not as important over at Madrid.

Maybe he is regarded as a crock - however I believe he can be the main attacking threat to a level that griezmann cannot- who may be a bit more team orientated.

Bale if given the trust to do things on his own is probably one of the best 5 players in the world in my opinion; I hope I get to see him do it at old Trafford and join the Welsh legends of the past.

I'll just make a prediction that something will come out either later tonight or sometime tomorrow to make us think the deal is back on again. Then i'll be pretty convinced it's happening. All big transfers have drama to them.

Typical for some to suddenly panic. In my view, we're still signing him...just after we bring in a proper striker.

There isn't much of a market for Greizmann this summer so we can afford to wait. Only other club linked is PSG (apparently doesn't want to go there and for good reason) and Bayern which doesn't seem realistic at all.

Typical for some to suddenly panic. In my view, we're still signing him...just after we bring in a proper striker.

There isn't much of a market for Greizmann this summer so we can afford to wait. Only other club linked is PSG (apparently doesn't want to go there and for good reason) and Bayern which doesn't seem realistic at all.

All the strikers we are linked with will cost around 80-100m. I find it very unlikely we will sign both Griezmann and a striker, especially taking into consideration we need to strengthen other positions too. We aren't City.

Not too fussed. We either play games during negotiations now and put some pressure on the player/club, or we have something else lined up

So Di Marzio was right then. Our priority is other strikers. (Mbappe and Morata)

Calm down and pay more attention. You're very much interested in griezmann, he's just not the priority ATM(and why should he? Any deal for him is pretty straight-forward: offer massive wages, trigger release clause, sign player)

Woody will sign him once this thread reaches 1,000 pages

So, get to work, muppets :lol:

All the strikers we are linked with will cost around 80-100m. I find it very unlikely we will sign both Griezmann and a striker, especially taking into consideration we need to strengthen other positions too. We aren't City.
But we have a lot of money. Finances aren't the problem.

Part of me wonders how much 'losing interest' is based on not wanting to screw with AM so much. Besides AG not wanting to screw his current team, maybe Utd don't want to poison the waters with AM, as we'd like to buy from them again in the future. Yeah, we can force the issue and sign AG, leaving AM in the lurch since they can't sign anyone til January, but at what cost in our relationship? Of course, we can all say 'screw it' and do the deal anyway, but maybe Utd is just giving AM some space to re-evaluate.

BTW, what's the difference in financial accounting if we paid in full up front vs in multiple installments? I figure the transfer fee is still written out over the course of the contract, whether it's lump sum or installments, but maybe the cash flow is the major difference.

So, Griezmann told Atleti he wanted to leave. What was their purpose in coming out and telling everyone otherwise?

Calm down and pay more attention. You're very much interested in griezmann, he's just not the priority ATM(and why should he? Any deal for him is pretty straight-forward: offer massive wages, trigger release clause, sign player)

Woody will sign him once this thread reaches 1,000 pages

So, get to work, muppets :lol:
This.

Have some faith muppets!

I don't get the silliness. We can buy Griezmann and a striker like Morata in the same window.

Not being silly, of course we can, but there's other positions we need to strengthen too. I don't realistically see us spending around 200m+ on 2 players alone.

I don't get the silliness. We can buy Griezmann and a striker like Morata in the same window.

It is just silly. If we are indeed after Mbappe and Morata then of course them two would take priority. As one is heavily linked with Milan and the other with Madrid and City. Whereas with Griezmanm we can secure the deal anytime before September 1st. It's not difficult to follow that logic.

Not being silly, of course we can, but there's other positions we need to strengthen too. I don't realistically see us spending around 200m+ on 2 players alone.

Morata wouldn't cost 120m

Agreed. That's the only thing that bothers me in these speculations.

Morata and Perisic in the attacking sense won't suffice and will leave us well behind the pack IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.