Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this sudden change of priorities (a little surprising btw, we've known about Ibra's injury for a while, what changed?) won't result in not signing Griezmann. Ibra had done exceptionally well and we still lacked goals as a team., and Griezmann is good enough to build a team around him.

With DiMarzio saying we place Morata as a higher priority than Griezmann, I understand it because he's a #9 but surely we'd be able to get Morata over Milan? Maybe his family would rather go back to Italy and maybe Milan can sell a pretty good dream of getting them back to the big time, but I still find it hard to believe.

It's starting to feel like no one really has a clue what's going on. I think we might get Griezmann in the end and I'd still be excited about it, but I can live with not getting him if we get a quality #9 instead. Although I kind of had hoped we'd get both.

If we were interested in Griezmann in order to play off of Zlatan, why does a replacement for Zlatan suddenly make Griezmann redundant?

We'll still be missing him playing off the # 9, which is the role he was originally pursued for.

The club clearly don't have a plan in place, a world away from last summer where everything had a clear direction.

A complete mess.

Personally i think this is us trying to force Atletico's hand. They know we want the player, they know the player wants to move and they need the money too.
They have a ban where they can't sign anyone, so replacing Griezmann will be impossible until January. Seems to me that we're "cooling" our interest and announcing we'll look elsewhere in an attempt to force them to accept a structured deal.

If Griezmann has truly asked to leave, and he's stated that he wants to leave to win trophies which he can't do at Atletico, then thats not going to make him a popular figure there. Plus having an unhappy player on your books isn't great. Theres going to be no other club out there willing to pay his release clause in one lump sum, so we're trying our luck. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few days to a couple of weeks we see that a deal has been reached.

If we were interested in Griezmann in order to play off of Zlatan, why does a replacement for Zlatan suddenly make Griezmann redundant?

We'll still be missing him playing off the # 9, which is the role he was originally pursued for.

The club clearly don't have a plan in place, a world away from last summer where everything had a clear direction.

A complete mess.
Its June 1st relax

A complete mess.
Or, maybe just possibly, these are all just rumours? Just a thought.

Guys...it's all bollocks. Don't try to make sense out of all these "leaks". It is literally their job to make up a narrative to keep the masses interested in the topic and keep talking about it. Nothing has actually changed. Forget about all the rules and money. Think about it from a footballing perspective. We need a world class striker to pair with our existing line up. Griezmann is the logical first choice and the club has the money to pay for his clause. It's that simple. The only thing that could stop this transfer is Griezmann himself. If he doesn't want to leave, he won't sign a contract with Utd and therefore no point in paying for the buyout. However if he is willing to sign with Utd, then the only reason it is not a done deal yet is because contract negotiation takes a while, and it being a major signing, marketing will want to milk all that they could out it - that also takes time to plan and execute.

First off Griezmann is obviously not our only target for this window, but given it is probably the biggest one, it won't be the first announced. Again, it is all about the marketing, the story. Our pre-season tour don't start until mid July, meaning in order to build up to it, the first transfer won't be completed until the players are done with their vacation for the medicals and PR work. That's early July. So for the whole of June, all news we will be getting are just bollocks to keep the story going. I'm confident our first signing won't be announced until late June - early July, and it won't be Griezmann, should he be coming. If there is one announced before that point, then we will liking see another announced before the US tour.

Somebody tell me when the odds go up to like 20/1 to sign him please. Fancy 100 on that.

Guys...it's all bollocks. Don't try to make sense out of all these "leaks". It is literally their job to make up a narrative to keep the masses interested in the topic and keep talking about it. Nothing has actually changed. Forget about all the rules and money. Think about it from a footballing perspective. We need a world class striker to pair with our existing line up. Griezmann is the logical first choice and the club has the money to pay for his clause. It's that simple. The only thing that could stop this transfer is Griezmann himself. If he doesn't want to leave, he won't sign a contract with Utd and therefore no point in paying for the buyout. However if he is willing to sign with Utd, then the only reason it is not a done deal yet is because contract negotiation takes a while, and it being a major signing, marketing will want to milk all that they could out it - that also takes time to plan and execute.

First off Griezmann is obviously not our only target for this window, but given it is probably the biggest one, it won't be the first announced. Again, it is all about the marketing, the story. Our pre-season tour don't start until mid July, meaning in order to build up to it, the first transfer won't be completed until the players are done with their vacation for the medicals and PR work. That's early July. So for the whole of June, all news we will be getting are just bollocks to keep the story going. I'm confident our first signing won't be announced until late June - early July, and it won't be Griezmann, should he be coming. If there is one announced before that point, then we will liking see another announced before the US tour.

Great post.

This is a very good take on where things stand. I would tend to agree with what is written in this link. Have a look and see if you agree:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spts82
I was just coming to post almost that exact same thing.

Seems painfully obvious Atletico's transfer ban being upheld has meant they've stopped negotiating Griezmann's sale with us and will instead try to hang on to him by demanding the full buyout clause up front, so we've done the obvious thing and publicly stepped away from the deal.

I slightly disagree with the twitlonger guy in that I think we'll end up paying the full fee up front eventually, it's more a "show" that we won't cave until we have to. Atletico are never going to sell on reduced terms this window.

There's no way Skybet or any other bookies who release markets for transfers will accept 100 snoop. Well not in my experience, they tend to max me at like £10.
Oh right that's a shame thanks.

A complete mess.
Last year when did we sign our players? I want the dates .

So far Mourinho hasn't dissapointed with his transfers. So I'll keep calm and leave the panicking until the last week of the transfer window.

Have to say this seems really strange.

Why was Pogba so coy about the signing last week? Why did Griezmann say there was a 60% chance he'd join United? Ibra got injured three months ago, it's not like his injury is a new thing.

Can only think the Atletico transfer ban is a game-changer.

Might be true. But wouldn't surprise me if it's just a way to get Atletico to be more flexible with the payments.
We probably do want a 9 as well. Paying 100m in installments would be preferable to paying it all up top coveving we have other targets to spend money on too.

For what it's worth, which granted isn't much, I agree with this. He wants win trophies. Atleti are less likely to now.

Sid Lowe retweeted it as well. I can't see with the way Griezmann was talking recently, and the transfer ban still uncertain, that we've only just let it go. Probably wrong but seems like posturing. It's the start of June, so there's more than couple of months left to see how it moves and in the end we can always just put the money up whenever.

Last year when did we sign our players? I want the dates .
Bailly - June 8
Ibra - July 1
Mkhitaryan - July 6 (I think. Dortmund CEO said it was basically done a few days before IIRC)
Pogba - August 8

Status
Not open for further replies.