Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Really, calm down. We're going to have posters claiming we should have been competing for Solanke at this rate.

Obviously I don't have any real insider knowledge on this but, from having closely followed these big transfer sagas (yes, I'm afraid this is what it's become) there's far too much smoke to suggest he wasn't, and still is, a very serious target that we will still be able and willing to pursue. Our reasonings so far for our cooling of interest have focused around Ibra's injury but - despite a number 9 being a more problematic area for us right now - as has been pointed out already, the extent of Zlatan's injury was known months ago. So I don't really buy that excuse.

What has changed in the past few hours though is the upholding of Atleti's transfer ban - in my mind, the real reason behind this press briefing. So many of these sort of transfers come down to club politics and PR/saving of face, in particular for the selling club, who we shouldn't forget that in this case are a huge club currently in world football and who don't want to sell their best asset if possible. Atleti's image has been sorely damaged today, and their board, fanbase and players will all be hurting from the news. Had we swooped in and triggered Griezmann's release clause right away we would have further damaged Atleti's standing as a big club, upset their players and fans, and - more importantly - seriously annoyed their board. Now, there's not much their board can do to stop this transfer if we're willing to meet Griezmann's buyout clause, but one thing they clearly have a say over is the manner in which we pay for him, ie instalment structure. If they asked for £80m up front now, a price I've seen quoted here today, and move through the negotiation proceedings in a manner which they, as a board who don't want to sell, are totally within their right to do, that would really affect our other transfer dealings this window. It would also make dealing with Atletico in the future complicated, something we may have to do in the next few seasons if a certain Spanish goalkeeper decides to return to Madrid.

For now, I'd recommend fans in meltdown/panic mode to calm down. There doesn't seem - at this stage, at least - to be any other serious interest in Griezmann other than from ourselves. I imagine that the reason he's now not currently top of our to get list is because we feel confident that when we do turn our attention to this, we will be able to complete it a relatively swift and painless manner.

Now watch Griezmann sign a contract extension in the next 24 hours.

I'll ask again, what is the perceived benefit to the club in giving out this information?

You don't think it is a bit strange that the club has suddenly realised that Ibra is injured on the exact day that AM's transfer ban has been upheld?

No, this leak is just giving out a message that we are not that desperate - we won't just fork out the release clause up front - we are trying to either reduce the price down from the release clause or negotiate installments, etc. Griezeman wants to move, personal terms are agreed, and the fact that AM can no longer strengthen due to their ban will only increase his desire. This is all about price and structure of the fee now IMO

I'll ask again, what is the perceived benefit to the club in giving out this information?

I'll give you an example. Let's say we want to pay in installments but they want the fee up front. They know they have an unhappy player or a player maybe not unhappy but that wants to move. What do you do? The player wants to come to United. In every thing he's said, he's only talked about United. Not Munich. Not Real Madrid. Not Barcelona. Etc. So there you go. Not just in that interview. He's already said about wanting to play with Pogba and asking him about United....no where has he talked of another club. So that gives athletico a slight problem. They need to get deals done BUT then again if they don't have the money, then other clubs won't fleece Athletico as much...

Absolutely none, now clubs who have #9s we are interested in know that we are desperate and will just put the price up even more.
:lol: Look the moment we start nosing around asking other clubs about the availability of certain players, talking to the agents etc. teams will know and since teams generally do not try to sign players the do not want/need well there you go.

I think what has happened is something like this:

Ban confirmed so AM can't now replace Griezmann if he goes so they hold firm and refuse any deal unless the clause amount is paid up front and in full.

Utd had hoped ban wouldn't occur as they would have had much more wriggle room re: fee and payments - now with full amount required for clause to activate they are having second thoughts.

Griezmann could still down tools for AM and demand a transfer to Utd which might change things but unless that happens I think the deal is dead in the water.

I think what has happened is something like this:

Ban confirmed so AM can't now replace Griezmann if he goes so they hold firm and refuse any deal unless the clause amount is paid up front and in full.

Utd had hoped ban wouldn't occur as they would have had much more wriggle room re: fee and payments - now with full amount required for clause to activate they are having second thoughts.

Griezmann could still down tools for AM and demand a transfer to Utd which might change things but unless that happens I think the deal is dead in the water.

Atleti want at least half the fee up front this summer, apparently that's a big stumbling block.

People would do well to remember that we haven't been briefing accurately on transfer targets since 2014.

We'll sign players and when we do the first press to report movement will be informed through intermediaries or other clubs.
You're right. But then again, whenever we've briefed to the press that something is now off, it has eventually turned to be off:(

How does buying a striker simply to replace Zlatan improve our attack? Especially when the replacement is inferior
Our attack k is complete dogshite and our problem are a lot deeper than buying another number 9.

So...what's actually happened?

Telegraph (Ducker) BBC (Stones) MEN (Luckhurst) all ran with identitical stories at the exact same time that we cooled our interest on griezmann and the priority is an Ibra replacement. Ducker went one step further and said he's not a target in this window.

Well they'd want all the money now because it'll be worth less in the coming years. Why wouldn't we be willing to pay it all in one whack?

Nowadays transfers are paid in installments through longer period of time. That is what enables clubs to buy players at the price of 1/4 of their whole yearly income and still show profit at the end of the fiscal year.

For example, United might be willing to spend 300 mil € on transfers this summer, but they'll probably pay 30% of that sum this year. The rest is spread through installments to be paid in the next few years and that's what enables the club to show good financial results at the end of the year and more importantly (much more importantly) stay cash flow positive.

One can't know but I guess United could probably be able to pay 100 mil € in one installment, but that would probably mean no more transfers this summer, or the club would need to take a loan to cover the rest of the transfers.

How does buying a striker simply to replace Zlatan improve our attack? Especially when the replacement is inferior
Our attack k is complete dogshite and our problem are a lot deeper than buying another number 9.

This, we will just be replacing Ibras goals. Where are the other 20-30 goals going to come from that we would need to compete for the title.

If it is Perisic he scores no more than Anthony, James could be worth it but the real answer to this problem is Antoine.
We cant just go into next season hoping our current attack will suddenly become clinical it is madness.

look at City they got like 7 good attacking options they can use to score and create.

Why aren't we after Griezmann and a striker? Or is that what they're saying and we are just prioritising a striker first before we break the world record transfer again?

Maybe Griezmann doesn't fit the formation which JM wants to use. If it's a 4-3-3 formation, he would have to play on the wing. If it's 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Griezmann , Pogba would have to play in a 2 man midfield with more defensive duties which he may not be comfortable with. How many times has JM used the 4-2-3-1 formation this season? I feel JM won't sign Mbappe or Lukaku or Belloti, it could be some other striker which we haven't been linked with yet.

It's just too coincidental the stories all came out at the same time an hour after the news of Athletico's transfer ban, and we've known about Ibra's injury for plenty of time that it shouldn't be a sudden change of heart.

I don't get it, we are putting off the signing of a 26 year old and has his best years ahead of him, because we wanted him to play with a 36 year old, who will be back around Xmas and has another year or so at the highest level.

I call bollocks!

As soon as I read this I thought this is the clubs way of trying to get this done and dusted as soon as possible

The last thing Jose will want is to spend all summer chasing a player only to miss out at the last minute a la' Moyes with Bale

Jose knows that we desperately need reinforcements in attack. We can't afford players to drag this out, message to Griezmann is simple - sign now or not at all

It's just too coincidental the stories all came out at the same time an hour after the news of Athletico's transfer ban, and we've known about Ibra's injury for plenty of time that it shouldn't be a sudden change of heart.
Could be that even though Ibra has said he'd like to stay at United, he's now decided that he wants to move on after all, or has got an offer from elsewhere that he can't turn down.
Given if thats the case, we'd definitely need to replace him. If it's not the case and we're using that as an excuse, then i personally think it's definitely due to Atleticos transfer ban and we just don't want to splash out €100m in one go.
Unless we can work out a structuring deal, or Griezmann pushes hard for the move, i'm not 100% convinced we'll get it done

We should be buying Griezmann to play off Rashford and then getting a back up striker. I don't know why Jose doesn't trust Rashford yet. Although he knows more than me obviously so I'll pipe down for now.

it took another month to sign pogba. that headline was pretty accurate :lol:

For the purpose of transfer muppets who didn't know whether or not it would happen (especially after the prior sagas involving everyone from Ozil to Sneijder to Hazard), that sort of tweet poured cold water on whether Pogba was coming at all. When in reality the deal was already wrapped up when Stone made the tweet.

We should be buying Griezmann to play off Rashford and then getting a back up striker. I don't know why Jose doesn't trust Rashford yet. Although he knows more than me obviously so I'll pipe down for now.

Rashford scored five league goals last year, that's why he (rightly) doesn't trust him. He's nowhere near good enough to be first choice at a club with our aspirations.

Simon Stone says we are not signing Pogba this summer. :(
How long after did you sign him from that story? You know what imminent means right?

The parallel to draw from that story is that you've said you're still interested in Griezmann.

It's tough to know what's gone on. It seems a bit of a risk from your perspective - what if they end up convincing him to sign a new deal while you're sorting your business elsewhere? Not unfathomable.

It's hard to imagine that he actually has been the one to put the breaks on the deal given all indications were he was rather keen.

How long after did you sign him from that story? You know what imminent means right?

The parallel to draw from that story is that you've said you're still interested in Griezmann.

It's tough to know what's gone on. It seems a bit of a risk from your perspective - what if they end up convincing him to sign a new deal while you're sorting your business elsewhere? Not unfathomable.

It's hard to imagine that he actually has been the one to put the breaks on the deal given all indications were he was rather keen.

The Pogba deal was already done when Stone issued that tweet.

Couple this with his '6/10' quote and for me it makes sense.
  1. United show concrete interest, offer on the table for some time. Griezmann Lukewarm.
  2. No other clubs show concrete interest, Griezmann releases 6/10 statement to show he wants to move and United not top choice.
  3. No other clubs show concrete interest/present strong enough offers following this
  4. Woodward calls his bluff, 'United cool interest'
  5. Next will be either Griezmann signs for us or the offer is pulled. IMO it looks like he is just shopping.

Exactly, if they only think we need a 9 then it's very worrying. that's clearly not the reasoning behind it though. We don't wanna pay the fee upfront or he's decided to stay. Wouldn't imagine it being the latter considering he was touting himself about even before the transfer ban was upheld.

For the purpose of transfer muppets who didn't know whether or not it would happen (especially after the prior sagas involving everyone from Ozil to Sneijder to Hazard), that sort of tweet poured cold water on whether Pogba was coming at all. When in reality the deal was already wrapped up when Stone made the tweet.

what i will concede is that Stone/BBC claimed this

United have not had any discussions with Juventus.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36753782

So they might not be 100% spot on with their griezmann story. However, do we know when MUFC approached Juve?

Maybe Griezmann doesn't fit the formation which JM wants to use. If it's a 4-3-3 formation, he would have to play on the wing. If it's 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Griezmann , Pogba would have to play in a 2 man midfield with more defensive duties which he may not be comfortable with. How many times has JM used the 4-2-3-1 formation this season? I feel JM won't sign Mbappe or Lukaku or Belloti, it could be some other striker which we haven't been linked with yet.
Too many journos have reported our interest for it to suddenly occur that he won't fit our formation. He's the type of player that you change the rest of the team for to make work.

Pesimist - AG has committed to Atletico in light of the transfer bin
Optimist - Atletico do need to sell because of their new stadium but want too much up front so United are forcing their hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.