Antoine Griezmann| Catalunya Radio say Griezmann to Barcelona is done for €100m

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They were rumoured" being the key part of that post. Again, I didn't claim anything, all I did was mention rumours that I read.

They didn't sold him and he wasn't for sale which is a fact. Whether Barcelona were struggling with wages or not is irrelevant.

They didn't sold him and he wasn't for sale which is a fact. Whether Barcelona were struggling with wages or not is irrelevant.
Given that we're discussing how much money Barca may, or may not have, reports / rumours that they were struggling to meet their wage bill are quite relevant.

Do you now accept that I didn't claim anything, contrary to what you said in your last post?

Given that we're discussing how much money Barca may, or may not have, reports / rumours that they were struggling to meet their wage bill are quite relevant.

Do you now accept that I didn't claim anything, contrary to what you said in your last post?

You claimed that they sold him which is wrong and you justified that claim by a rumour that could be true or not.

You claimed that they sold him which is wrong and you justified that claim by a rumour that could be true or not.
And you were wrong to accuse me of claiming Neymar was sold because of wage struggles. It's okay to hold your hands up and admit it.

I was wrong when I said they sold him (see, it's not hard to do). The end result is the same, though. He is now a PSG player and Barca received a huge amount of money. Which they have now spent.

Which brings us back to the point. How much money do Barca have for potential transfers? Such as Griezmann, for example.

And you were wrong to accuse me of claiming anything. It's okay to hold your hands up and admit it.

I was wrong when I said they sold him (see, it's not hard to do). The end result is the same, though. He is now a PSG player and Barca received a huge amount of money. Which they have now spent.

Which brings us back to the point. How much money do Barca have for potential transfers? Such as Griezmann, for example.

So you didn't claim that Barcelona sold Neymar?

I stated it outright and I was wrong. I also edited my post before you replied.

Your turn.

I don't need a turn. But Barcelona are a rich club, if I'm not mistaken they are in the same region than Bayern, Real Madrid and United, they are perfectly able to spend hundreds of millions without Neymar's money and then you have to remember that PSG had to pay the full +200m while Coutinho, Paulinho and Dembélé are most likely paid with installments. So a part of the 200m will be used to pay a chunk of the current purchases while an other part will complete or totally finance Griezmann's purchase.

I don't need a turn. But Barcelona are a rich club, if I'm not mistaken they are in the same region than Bayern, Real Madrid and United, they are perfectly able to spend hundreds of millions without Neymar's money and then you have to remember that PSG had to pay the full +200m while Coutinho, Paulinho and Dembélé are most likely paid with installments. So a part of the 200m will be used to pay a chunk of the current purchases while an other part will complete or totally finance Griezmann's purchase.
Anything but concede that you were wrong on the internet, right? I'll add you to the list.

Anything but concede that you were wrong on the internet, right? I'll add you to the list.

I have no problem admitting I was wrong, but you did admit that you were wrong about the sale which was my point. I don't really see what you want me to do here.

Edit: Also whether you were wrong or not wasn't a big deal, the deal is that Barcelona didn't sold him because they didn't need to sell.

Do Barcelona really have so much money (I mean more than us)? They got Dembele and Coutinho for more than 100 mil each. Will they be willing to spend another such huge layout? That too in 3 consecutive transfer windows

If you are aware of Barca’s revenues and of how football transfers are paid (accounting wise), you would know that Barca can EASILY afford Griezmann.

Do Barcelona really have so much money (I mean more than us)? They got Dembele and Coutinho for more than 100 mil each. Will they be willing to spend another such huge layout? That too in 3 consecutive transfer windows
Well selling Neymar for over 200m definitely helps. That might fund both Dembele and Griezmann deals.

Neymar money plus unused funds of the previous summer plus funds for this summer?

They had issues with their wage bill iirc, but they have as much money as us if we’re talking from a revenue POV (I don’t know their financial commitments so can’t comment on transfer budget). Losing Neymar probably went a fair way into helping their wage bill challenges, along with selling other players like Arda. Gomes is on the transfer list iirc, plus 1 or 2 others. So I’d say they can probably spend the €400m on those 3. Neymar sale covered at least half of that.

@FCBarca am I way off here?

Does anyone know Griezmann has played as right wing before?

left wing should be left to Martial and Rashford, when both have been doing alright. SO I bought Perisc was a mistake, we need a right winger. Griezmann can also play as #10 considering how shit MK is. When Lukaku needs to be rested, Griezmann can be 1 of the striker.
My understanding (I didn't watch him myself in those days, so just going on what others have said previously) is that he played right wing at Real Sociedad. Obviously he was quite good there as that is what got him the move to Atletico, but he wasn't as good as what he has gone on to be with Atletico. The question is whether his further improvement at Atletico is just because he's matured and he'd still be able to play at that higher level if played right wing for us, or whether the improvement is because he was moved more central and his performances would drop back to 'only' being good when used on the right.

Personally I'd guess it's a bit of both. He'd be good at right wing, better than our other options, but not quite at the level as what he developed into in the centre. So that probably suits us if we want to mostly play 4231 and just use 433 occasionally, but if Mourinho wants to use 433 regularly then maybe not.

Neymar money plus unused funds of the previous summer plus funds for this summer?

They had issues with their wage bill iirc, but they have as much money as us if we’re talking from a revenue POV (I don’t know their financial commitments so can’t comment on transfer budget). Losing Neymar probably went a fair way into helping their wage bill challenges, along with selling other players like Arda. Gomes is on the transfer list iirc, plus 1 or 2 others. So I’d say they can probably spend the €400m on those 3. Neymar sale covered at least half of that.

@FCBarca am I way off here?

This board's annual fiscal budget begins on July 1 so the Neymar money was largely used for Coutinho, Paulinho, Semedo, Deulofeu, Mina & Dembélé although the window is not over yet as more player movements are expected:

Arda Turan: Başakşehir
André Gomes: Has asked to leave (Spurs linked)
Deulofeu: Napoli or Inter Milan
Denis Suárez: Napoli
Aleix Vidal: Sevilla
Rafinha: Celta Vigo
Mascherano: Hebei Fortune.

Plan from Valverde is to incorporate some B team players in Arnaiz, Alena & Oriol Busquets (No relation)

There are likely bonuses/add-ons to the Coutinho & Dembélé deals that may start kicking in this summer which would impact their operating budget and the other factor is that the stadium renovation which will see reduction in the normally €60 million summer transfer budget but I believe part of the reason there was such a push to land Coutinho now than after July 1 was the budget that will kick in for next season.

From 2018/2019 the annual budget will see a spike: Nike = €155m, Rakuten = €55m (5m CL bonus, 1.5m La Liga bonus) Beko = €10m & Intel = €5m. Total budget rises to €819M with those sponsors although wages has been burning 84% from the current budget which speaks to the players/wages they will need to shed in order to consider another high profile signing

The right side of an attacking front 3 seems the most obvious.
We could ship miki the other direction..
Whenever he’s played right wing with France, he’s looked half the player. Why don’t we just - you know - buy a right winger instead of shoehorning him into a position he’s bound to fail? And we wonder why our big signings flop.

No doubts about Greizmann's quality, but I am starting to get a feeling that he has a bit of Mkhitaryan about him. A bit of a pu**y when the chips are down. Hopefully we keep that money and spend that on Dybala.

Sick and tired of this guy. I dont care how talented he is, he can go feck himself. He is playing us against Barca to get a better deal with them. I m not even sure he is a good fit for Utd.

Sick and tired of this guy. I dont care how talented he is, he can go feck himself. He is playing us against Barca to get a better deal with them. I m not even sure he is a good fit for Utd.

Yeah, I'm basically in the same place at this point.

Since Fergie retired there've been a number of these long-running, 'will they won't they' transfers -

Ronaldo
Fabregas
Bale
Ramos
Griezmann

And I'm sure a few others that I'm missing.

They (thus far) have all gone the same way - with the player signing an improved contract, or moving somewhere else after playing us to prompt the buying club into hurrying.

I absolutely loathe this. It's become my pet peeve since Fergie retired and I've started to feel that way about Griezmann.

I'd rather just sign use the 120m to sign him to sign Mahrez (50m), Ozil (20m) and a top CM for 60m or so, and just let Griezmann piss off to Barca or wherever his 'dream' is to play.

It's Woodward that gets sucked into these go nowhere sagas I think. At least, they've all occurred in his era at the club.

I can't understand for the life of me why people who choose Mahrez over Greizemann. Mahrez best season as a professional was 18G 10A in 39 appearances in 2015-2016 (according to www.transfermarkt.co.uk/). Griezemann's stats for Athletico Madrid 26G 12A in 53 in 2016, 32G 7A in 54G in 2015, and 25G 6A in 53 in 2014. Furthermore there is nothing to suggest that Mahrez could make the step up from a mid-table club to a big club. Plenty of people have tried and failed, there is no guarantee he will work out like he did at Leicester. Some players like Shaquri at stoke need to be the top dog on a bad team for their egos.

You know what you are getting with Griezemann, a top 5 player, who's brother is a fan; and wanted the move over the summer. There is nothing to suggest that he still doesn't want that move now, its just media speculation that he prefers Barcelona. Sign him up.

I can't understand for the life of me why people who choose Mahrez over Greizemann. Mahrez best season as a professional was 18G 10A in 39 appearances in 2015-2016 (according to www.transfermarkt.co.uk/). Griezemann's stats for Athletico Madrid 26G 12A in 53 in 2016, 32G 7A in 54G in 2015, and 25G 6A in 53 in 2014. Furthermore there is nothing to suggest that Mahrez could make the step up from a mid-table club to a big club. Plenty of people have tried and failed, there is no guarantee he will work out like he did at Leicester. Some players like Shaquri at stoke need to be the top dog on a bad team for their egos.

You know what you are getting with Griezemann, a top 5 player, who's brother is a fan; and wanted the move over the summer. There is nothing to suggest that he still doesn't want that move now, its just media speculation that he prefers Barcelona. Sign him up.

No speculation bro, family of footballer met with Barcelona people in restaurant a few weeks ago, some pictures of them having dinner surfaced in many news websites.

Does anyone else agree with me that Griezmann is not the type of player we should go for. I also think he is not as good as people make him out to be.

Does anyone else agree with me that Griezmann is not the type of player we should go for. I also think he is not as good as people make him out to be.

I totally agree. We need a RW first and foremost and Griezmann is not that. As a ST, he has no chance getting ahead of Lukaku. And as an AM, we can get Ozil for far less money with PL experience. Griezmann is probably the most overrated player in the recent years. Paying 100m for him would be wasting our money.

Last edited:
I don't see better acquisition for a club like United.

Technical skills. Stats. Versatility. Pace. High work-rate. Passing skills. 26 years old.

Credentials at the international stage (Euro 2016 final) and the club level: 2 Champions League finals.

A brilliant player who was the main creative force of an anti-football team coached by an ungrateful coach.

I'm sure I can find some posters explaining that Messi and Neymar are not United Quality players.

Because his stats are less impressive this year than usual, he suddenly becomes overrated.

Barca has the money to afford him next summer, that's for sure.
We won't be going for Dybala, I can assure you that. People already know Messi and Dybala on the same team don't work, plus we have Dembele as his alternative.

What I don't get is why are we in for Griezmann. I don't see him a player of a Suarez type or pure no.9. He is more of a 2nd striker, a support CF, a ball playing forward. We need a pure number 9, who's lethal in front of the goal and in the box.

Technical skills. Stats. Versatility. Pace. High work-rate. Passing skills. 26 years old.

Credentials at the international stage (Euro 2016 final) and the club level: 2 Champions League finals.

A brilliant player who was the main creative force of an anti-football team coached by an ungrateful coach.

I'm sure I can find some posters explaining that Messi and Neymar are not United Quality players.

Because his stats are less impressive this year than usual, he suddenly becomes overrated.
Well he had his chance and he showed he didn't really want to be here that much. If the rumours surrounding Dybala are true I would prefer him and he is IMO the better player.

If he really wanted to come last year he would either be here already or be on his way on a Keita type of deal (deferred for a year).

If he really wanted to come last year he would either be here already or be on his way on a Keita type of deal (deferred for a year).[/QUOTE]

Not saying we are in for him but I think this type of deal would be more unusual than what actually happened than us going for him and he stayed then signing him now or summer.

Agree with you especially the bolded part.

People are obsessed with stats alone and I'm not really sure if most do follow Atletico games regularly.

Oh, and the fact that he 'rejected' us before so some are acting like he doesn't deserve us anymore. :wenger:

@FCBarca Thanks for the update/response.

50.gif

I had the same feeling 12 months ago because if we need a right winger then we should go for a top class right winger, regardless of cost.

However, I have other thoughts lately such as

1. We really need a #10 after the MK failure, particularly if we will continue playing 4231. Relying on Lukaku / Pogba / Martial / Lingard alone is not enough, a proper #10 is required, or at least someone better than Lingard (as #10) in case his form dip.

2. Should we go for 433 without Lukaku, then Griezmann might be a perfect solution

My only concern is a) whether we will continue using 4231 (at least for a portion of the games) or switching to 433 for good. Even a 343 can accommodate Griezmann. b) whether Griezmann can play right wing at all, otherwise his playing option will be limited and you don't want to bench your 100m player or play him ineffectively.

He's a much better player than Dybala imo and I dont understand why Barca are pursuing him its not like they need him. Pretty sure he'll end up at United, if we can match the wages and the transfer fee Barca are offering reckon Atletico would prefer to sell to us and its a well known fact Griezmann is a United fan. A Matic, Pogba and Griezmann midfield would be world class and would rip defences apart. Griezmann and a quality RW accquisition would massively upgrade our attack.
The Barca links sure are troubling though, I just cant figure out where he would fit though. Would be fascinating to watch where he would go this summer.

I totally agree. We need a RW first and foremost and Griezmann is not that. As a ST, he has no chance getting ahead of Lukaku. And as an AM, we can get Ozil for far less money with PL experience. Griezmann is probably the most overrated player in the recent years. Paying 100m for him would be wasting our money.

Its not like we dont have the budget to sign both Griezmann and a quality RW, despite Mourinho's recent moaning we do we have a massive budget.
Sure Ozil's recent form has been great but he is nowhere near Griezmann. Griezmann is better in almost every aspect and lets not forget the times where Ozil has been downright horrid for Arsenal. For 20m he'll be a steal but to reject the chance to sign AG because of Ozil would be pretty daft, if we fail to sign Griezmann, Ozil would be a great alternative though.

Status
Not open for further replies.