Antoine Griezmann| Catalunya Radio say Griezmann to Barcelona is done for €100m

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way a player of his calibre doesn't improve us unless his attitude is wrong (a la Di Maria). The hype has died down but for so many to say they don't want him because 'he had his chance' just seems petty and silly to me. An understandable concern is where he fits but the guy is world class and we don't have many of that calibre, so let's make it work.
Imagine buying Mahrez and him. Instant upgrades and a potentially transformed attack, which we all know we need.

There's no way a player of his calibre doesn't improve us unless his attitude is wrong (a la Di Maria). The hype has died down but for so many to say they don't want him because 'he had his chance' just seems petty and silly to me. An understandable concern is where he fits but the guy is world class and we don't have many of that calibre, so let's make it work.
Imagine buying Mahrez and him. Instant upgrades and a potentially transformed attack, which we all know we need.

Griezman and Mahrez IN = Mhki & Mata out ?
Who honestly would say no ?

So, last Summer, then excuse was, "oh no...I don't want to let my club down. I will sign a bumper new contract and stay".
MUFC fans said, "In January he will come".
Comment: lets not forget that AG did not need to have a higher buy-out clause. He held all the cards. He could've written his own contract and providing A.Madrid could afford the wages, they'd have agreed.
Apart from Matt Le Tissier, AG has set new levels of loyalty in football, not seen in decades.
And the best part is that MUFC fans actually believe this nonsense.

Come January, the excuse is, "The buy-out clause is too high".
MUFC fans said, "In the Summer, he will come".
Comment: the buy-out clause means nothing. if he tells his manager that he wants to leave. I did you a favour in the Summer now you must let me leave. A deal can/will be made.
The buy-out clause only comes info effect if AM refuse to sell and go against the wishes of the player. The buying club can then force the player out of his contract by activating the buy-out clause.

So, let's predict next Summer:
The excuse will be, "I had to move to Barca because they are a Spanish club and I owe Spain everything. They are my adopted country."
MUFC fans will say, "Oh, he is so loyal to his adopted country. He will join us in 3 years".

This transfer is the turd that refuses to flush and with every flush (or transfer window), rather than getting smaller, it actually bigger and stiffer, becoming increasingly difficult to flush away.

It won't be easy to find a better attacking player than Griezmann. His ability, his athleticism, his experience and his dedication to pressing are exactly what we need to improve our ability to overcome top clubs like City and Chelsea. We'd still need to add a central midfielder and take a realistic look at whether we need to strengthen our options at both fullback positions IMO but we definitely need a world class creative player.

He's also 26, 27 this year and most likely will have at least 5 years at top level. He's also north of £250k currently at Atletico I think.

Can't understand what is so surprising there...

Agreed.

Bale makes £600k/week (over £300k net of tax).

But where would he play? We need to start having a clear plan for players before buying them instead of the other way around or buying them and then scratching our heads when they don’t work out. There’s an argument that you can fit world class players into any team but realistically we’d have to bench one of our Martial/Lukaku.

His attitude is certainly something I would question even now, he can't give an interview about the PL without mentioning the weather in England

Our chance was last summer. As soon as Barca lost Neymar, this was on the cards. There were reports Barca would go for him in 2018 last summer as soon as Neymar moved and it doesnt look good for us.

The links to Barca seem a lot stronger than the links to us. Only way I can see this happening is if we have an agreement already made since last summer and Greizmann displays the same loyalty to that agreement as he did to Atletico last summer.

If not I can see him at Barca.

I really dont think he will come to us. That boat sailed last summer.

Agreed. I'm actually so sick of this supposed transfer.

He may be world class (not so much this season), but clearly he's not keen to come to us.

I can only assume it's just the CAF that's fixated on this guy and United have actually moved onto different targets.

I don't think he will upgrade us tremendously, with that kind of money. I rather top it up and get Dybala.

The links to Barca seem a lot stronger than the links to us. Only way I can see this happening is if we have an agreement already made since last summer and Greizmann displays the same loyalty to that agreement as he did to Atletico last summer.

If not I can see him at Barca.

Links do seem stronger to Barcelona although I continue to struggle to understand why

But where would he play? We need to start having a clear plan for players before buying them instead of the other way around or buying them and then scratching our heads when they don’t work out. There’s an argument that you can fit world class players into any team but realistically we’d have to bench one of our Martial/Lukaku.
The right side of an attacking front 3 seems the most obvious.
We could ship miki the other direction..

The right side of an attacking front 3 seems the most obvious.
We could ship miki the other direction..

Does anyone know Griezmann has played as right wing before?

left wing should be left to Martial and Rashford, when both have been doing alright. SO I bought Perisc was a mistake, we need a right winger. Griezmann can also play as #10 considering how shit MK is. When Lukaku needs to be rested, Griezmann can be 1 of the striker.

In an ideal world I would sign him in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I have serious reservations about his attitude towards us / Manchester. Too much smoke for there not to be some kind of fire. The last thing you want is one of our top players being constantly surrounded by rumour and uncertainty. I think I'd pass.

Happy for Barcelona to take him, if that eliminates one of the two biggest Dybala competitiors.

Ffs this club and transfers.....rinse repeat every year about a certain player......truly unsure about the future as far as competing.....I guess we hope now Jose takes that AG money and buys a few players who will make us challlenge for titles.

Maybe forward planning to replace Suarez who does seem to have declined a bit?

Do Barcelona really have so much money (I mean more than us)? They got Dembele and Coutinho for more than 100 mil each. Will they be willing to spend another such huge layout? That too in 3 consecutive transfer windows

Do Barcelona really have so much money (I mean more than us)? They got Dembele and Coutinho for more than 100 mil each. Will they be willing to spend another such huge layout? That too in 3 consecutive transfer windows
Is some of the Neymar money going towards these transfers?

Didn’t Barcelona just sign a kit deal even bigger than ours?

Add Neymar to the mix and yes they have money. Lots.

Between this and what PSG/City are doing the standard is being set to Woodward and co.

It’s not particularly how I’d like to see us return to the top but if we’re going to call ourselves the biggest club in the world we’ll have to start buying like it.

If he genuinely doesn't want to play for us then that's fair enough, but we don't know that yet.

It seems that some have forgotten how good he is though. We need quality and if he sign him that will be a huge signing for us. One bad season (so far) doesn't make a bad player. Look at Hazard, I bet you'd all take him still and Madrid definitely would.

If we genuinely have a choice between him and Dybala then fair enough of you prefer the latter. But I'm still more confident that we could get Griezmann. Everyone will be in for Dybala if he moved and he'll end up costing 50% more than Griezmann.

So, last Summer, then excuse was, "oh no...I don't want to let my club down. I will sign a bumper new contract and stay".
MUFC fans said, "In January he will come".
Comment: lets not forget that AG did not need to have a higher buy-out clause. He held all the cards. He could've written his own contract and providing A.Madrid could afford the wages, they'd have agreed.
Apart from Matt Le Tissier, AG has set new levels of loyalty in football, not seen in decades.
And the best part is that MUFC fans actually believe this nonsense.

Come January, the excuse is, "The buy-out clause is too high".
MUFC fans said, "In the Summer, he will come".
Comment: the buy-out clause means nothing. if he tells his manager that he wants to leave. I did you a favour in the Summer now you must let me leave. A deal can/will be made.
The buy-out clause only comes info effect if AM refuse to sell and go against the wishes of the player. The buying club can then force the player out of his contract by activating the buy-out clause.

So, let's predict next Summer:
The excuse will be, "I had to move to Barca because they are a Spanish club and I owe Spain everything. They are my adopted country."
MUFC fans will say, "Oh, he is so loyal to his adopted country. He will join us in 3 years".

This transfer is the turd that refuses to flush and with every flush (or transfer window), rather than getting smaller, it actually bigger and stiffer, becoming increasingly difficult to flush away.

ewww.... but quite right :p

Didn’t Barcelona just sign a kit deal even bigger than ours?

Add Neymar to the mix and yes they have money. Lots.

Between this and what PSG/City are doing the standard is being set to Woodward and co.

It’s not particularly how I’d like to see us return to the top but if we’re going to call ourselves the biggest club in the world we’ll have to start buying like it.
They have already spent the Neymar money and more besides. £145 million on Coutinho and £96.8 million on Dembele.

They have already spent the Neymar money and more besides. £145 million on Coutinho and £96.8 million on Dembele.

I said that was on top of their kit deal. They're getting nearly a combined £200m a year from Nike and Rakuten.

Their wage structure would be ridiculous after this yet I see their fans on reddit saying Mascherano heading to China could help offset it!
Barca are those lotto winners who end up broke after 18 months

Last edited:
I said that was on top of their kit deal. They're getting nearly a combined £200m a year from Nike and Rakuten.
Yes, but given that they have already spent in excess of what they received for Neymar his fee is now irrelevant at this point.

Yes, but given that they have already spent in excess of what they received for Neymar his fee is now irrelevant at this point.

I never said that is what they are spending - Just that they have a lot of money.

I never said that is what they are spending - Just that they have a lot of money.
You said "add Neymar to the mix". There's nothing to add.

They may have a lot of money, who knows. I do know that they were rumoured to be struggling to pay their wage bill and that was the reason behind the sale of Neymar.

You said "add Neymar to the mix". There's nothing to add.

They may have a lot of money, who knows. I do know that they were rumoured to be struggling to pay their wage bill and that was the reason behind the sale of Neymar.

Neymar was not sold, he bought out his contract

"They were rumoured" being the key part of that post. Again, I didn't claim anything, all I did was mention rumours that I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.