Antoine Griezmann| Catalunya Radio say Griezmann to Barcelona is done for €100m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how old he is but wouldn't it be funny if we just called Atletico up and said we have £100m+ burning a hole if they're interested. :D

Would he want to come? Probably not. But then he thought about it with Utd who were/are hardly burning up the PL.

Not sure how old he is but wouldn't it be funny if we just called Atletico up and said we have £100m+ burning a hole if they're interested. :D

Would he want to come? Probably not. But then he thought about it with Utd who were/are hardly burning up the PL.

I'm afraid he's not on your radar, he doesn't play for Southampton. ;)

No but we are still a bigger draw than you so stop kidding yourself.

You've already spent the money. Besides, I can't see him wanting to join a feeder club. He could go straight to Barca and cut out the unpleasantness of having to spend time in Liverpool.

After Barca signed Coutinho, I think it's all clear now for us to get Griezmann, no?

Let us hope not. Not the creative SS\AM we need, nor can he effectively be deployed at RW.

He can stay in Spain in his precious sunshine.

After Barca signed Coutinho, I think it's all clear now for us to get Griezmann, no?
Not when Coutinho and Griezmann don't play in the same position, so the transfers have nothing to do with each other. Coutinho's a signing for the midfield to replace Iniesta. AG would replace Suarez.

Not when Coutinho and Griezmann don't play in the same position, so the transfers have nothing to do with each other. Coutinho's a signing for the midfield to replace Iniesta. AG would replace Suarez.
Yes I'm not talking specifically about their positions but their fees, Barca now spent like 250m on 2 players add to that 36m on Paulinho so I guess it's a bit hard to sign another with 100m, no?

@SS
Well Messi plays in Griezmann and Coutinhos position and the obvious alternative position would be inside left. Which pits the 2 against each other.
Theres no way Barca are dropping Coutinho deeper into midfield, it just will not happen imo.
While Griezmann was a disaster this year as a striker and only came into form plaing as a 10.
He will not be replacing Suarez unless some sort of Antoine awakening happens before the summer and he develops 10 fold as a player

@SS
Well Messi plays in Griezmann and Coutinhos position and the obvious alternative position would be inside left. Which pits the 2 against each other.
Theres no way Barca are dropping Coutinho deeper into midfield, it just will not happen imo.
Why not? It would be the same position he plays at Liverpool as the most advanced in a midfield 3. Messi would float as a sort of false #9, while Griezmann plays the 'Salah' role as an inside forward on the right.

@minoo-utd Most of that was Neymar money tbf. I think he still has the release clause of 86m euros.

Griezmann as a Suarez replacement seems really strange. A front 4 of Coutinho, Dembele, Messi and Suarez seems to have far better balance than the same attack with Griezmann.

Based on the tapping up stories I think Barca will get him but I think he's far more suited to the United squad than Barca.

@SS
Messi prefers dropping deep now, he's not forced to make runs to free himself from central defenders and he can float around looking for space.
Even as a false 9 it requires being incredibly unselfish.
I could be wrong but I can't see him being pushed forward into a role he was eager to abandon 3 years ago.
It just seems like buying for the sake of buying a name and Im assuming they're too smart for that.
My prediction is Coutinho starting inside left and he kills it until the summer while helping Suarez regain form by default.
Mid April is when they'll leak their Griezmann u turn.

Let us hope not. Not the creative SS\AM we need, nor can he effectively be deployed at RW.

He can stay in Spain in his precious sunshine.

I think what this team lacks is another top goal scorer and a creative central midfielder. My guess is Jose will primarily use a 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 set-up, which requires attacking players who can drift outside but aren't necessarily wingers. Griezmann, or Dybala, can both do that. This will also allow Pogba to play in his favorite position of left attacking midfield. Our buys will tell us more, but I think our set-up for next season will be something like:

Matic/Herrera
Jorhinho/Pereira Pogba/Lingard
Griezmann/Mata........Martial/Rashford
Lukaka/back-up striker​

What we would need is another RB who is good going forward and can provide the width. The trend so far suggests that we'll sign only 3 or 4 in the summer. Think they'll be an attacker, right back, central midfielder and a back-up striker.

Probably not? Probably? :lol:

When was the last time Liverpool won the league?

Actually, when was the last time Liverpool won a trophy?

@SS
Messi prefers dropping deep now, he's not forced to make runs to free himself from central defenders and he can float around looking for space.
Even as a false 9 it requires being incredibly unselfish.
I could be wrong but I can't see him being pushed forward into a role he was eager to abandon 3 years ago.
It just seems like buying for the sake of buying a name and Im assuming they're too smart for that.
My prediction is Coutinho starting inside left and he kills it until the summer while helping Suarez regain form by default.
Mid April is when they'll leak their Griezmann u turn.
How deep? Hasn't he played off Suarez in a sort of front 2 recently? Or was that just until Dembele came back? Fair point re: the bolded.

Hmm, we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Griezmann could replace Suarez at Barca as the striker role there is different to how it is under someone like Mourinho or Conte, it's no different to how Liveprool use Firmino as their nominal #9.

Griezmann could replace Suarez at Barca as the striker role there is different to how it is under someone like Mourinho or Conte, it's no different to how Liveprool use Firmino as their nominal #9.
How much money do they have though? I thought they were skint? Neymar money has been swallowed up, £141.9m on Coutinho, Messi a £80m signing-on fee, Dortmund £93.1m for Dembele, along with £37 in bonuses.

How much money do they have though? I thought they were skint? Neymar money has been swallowed up, £141.9m on Coutinho, Messi a £80m signing-on fee, Dortmund £93.1m for Dembele, along with £37 in bonuses.

They'll have enough for one big summer deal I imagine, as Griezmann's buyout drops to £86M or something, that means they'd have made the 3 buys to replace Neymar, Iniesta and Suarez as starters.

Absolutely zero in the recent piece by Ogden and amateurishly misses out on the fact Griezmann's release clause halves in the summer, you can be certain that Ogden definitely isn't a businessman!

Only thing wrong with that is that his clause doesn't go down to €100m until the summer. Right now we'd have to bid higher I think.
Where did the news about it not going down until the summer come from? A couple of months ago all the reports were saying it happened in January, so I'm just wondering whether it's just the media changing things or whether somebody from Atletico actually made a comment about it.

Absolutely zero in the recent piece by Ogden and amateurishly misses out on the fact Griezmann's release clause halves in the summer, you can be certain that Ogden definitely isn't a businessman!
I thought it was halfed in January?

Where did the news about it not going down until the summer come from? A couple of months ago all the reports were saying it happened in January, so I'm just wondering whether it's just the media changing things or whether somebody from Atletico actually made a comment about it.
I thought it was halfed in January?
Atletico's CEO said that it's 200m until July 1st: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/grie...tico-warn-barcelona/jjyoi5x69tx712hfmatsgqz70

Can't see us buying him TBH. Should've happened last summer, but with the emergence of Lingard, it would be a bit silly to splash £100m on a player who can't deliver anything more than what we already have in Jesse.

Is anybody concerned by the fact that his goals/assists this season is less than Jesse lingard despite having played far more minutes?

Me thinks that ship has sailed, if he wanted to join us it should’ve been last summer, and he shouldn’t have stood by his dodgy team that broke the law.

He’ll end up at west ham in a few years.

Is anybody concerned by the fact that his goals/assists this season is less than Jesse lingard despite having played far more minutes?

Yes. Very. As a pseudo winger AM thingy he is a younger upgrade on Mata, though he has questionable link up play, and definitely on Miki. But for the money suggested it seems another square peg round hole signing for a a guy who plays in a very specific system at Athletico. Like Dortmund players I would be cautious. Dybala looks a much better fit if we feel like spanking a ton of dough. Much more versatile.

Last edited:
With recent performances of Lingard, which I think is of similar type of player (type-not level, ok?), United should give Lingard the chance and see how long he can keep it up.

The local lad I think gets along with most of the players, positive attitude, questionable celebrations but when he scores great goals I think he deserves to celebrate how he likes it.

United need more a Ozil instead of a Griezmann, because I think there's no playmaker in the team. Besides, maybe Pogba. Mata up until recently just doesn't take enough risks in terms of playmaking and forward passes.

I'd rather sign Mahrez and Ozil - the transfer fees would be less than for those 2 combined than for Griezmann alone, and I'm guessing that their combined wages would also be less than his.

I feel that those 2 would make us better, and provide us with more options than signing him.

In fact, it seems obvious to me that that's what we should do. Is that crazy?

Of course I'd want him here, but I honestly would prefer Mahrez and Ozil (together), and we could get them both, this window!

Never thought I'd say this, but I think we should stick with Lingard. Provided he can keep this form going, that is. He and Shaw could save us a lot of money and allow us to improve the areas that actually need addressing.

he already lose his chance to get here, we have jesse the Goat Lingard right now

Lingard will need to be rested at times so it makes sense to get Griezmann in to deputise.

Status
Not open for further replies.