Anthony Martial | AEK Athens

Martial's 28, close to 29 which are often peak years for strikers but been finished for a few seasons now thanks to injuries. Loved 19/20 version of Martial but that was a long time ago and before all the injuries that followed.

Good luck to him in Greece, anyway. Perhaps he can still have a decent career in his 30s.

I wonder if he envisioned more clamor for his signature when becoming a free agent. Can't say I'm sorry that this is how his career has panned out. He's reaping what he's sown.

He isn't. Fans have built a lot of our players up to be superstars when they genuinely are nowhere near that level. Look at lingard for another example.
Not wrong, but comparing Lingard to Martial is taking the piss. Lingard would have never played for United if he did not come through the academy.

Martial, at the very least, did show many qualities required of a United level player until injuries took their toll and he gave up.

It’s just too bad it didn’t all work out.

He isn't. Fans have built a lot of our players up to be superstars when they genuinely are nowhere near that level. Look at lingard for another example.

People look at talent ahead of application. Martial is an incredibly gifted footballer at his best, but he’s never at his best. Gabriel Obertan was incredibly gifted too. Martial definitely isn’t too good to play in Greece, he’s done nothing of note in the game for years.

Greece is a good choice for him surely? Better climate, less intense play, lower standard, surely all that gives him a better chance of staying a bit more injury free and enjoying his football.

Greece is a good choice for him surely? Better climate, less intense play, lower standard, surely all that gives him a better chance of staying a bit more injury free and enjoying his football.

surely he could have grabbed a bigger and more hyped contract in Saudi or an emerging league? It does feel like he’s going there to enjoy his life and keep earning decent bank. Do AEK play in Europe? He doesn’t seem like one who likes the pressure and he’s set for life already

surely he could have grabbed a bigger and more hyped contract in Saudi or an emerging league? It does feel like he’s going there to enjoy his life and keep earning decent bank. Do AEK play in Europe? He doesn’t seem like one who likes the pressure and he’s set for life already

If I didn't need the money I'd definitely choose to live in Greece over Saudi.

If you had to live in country with a non competitive league, Greece would have to be at the top of the list.

Martial, the man, the mythos... Shame he was souvlaking in effort, he could have been a god.

If he only lost a yard of pace then he would still be able to find a job somewhere. After all not every league is reliant on pace like the EPL is. Unfortunately for martial he's ridiculously injury prone. When he's fit he barely play through the pain barrier either and is scared shit of getting injured again. That means that there are two versions of martial ie the one dishing cowardly performances or the one where he's injured. Availability is the best ability

People look at talent ahead of application. Martial is an incredibly gifted footballer at his best, but he’s never at his best. Gabriel Obertan was incredibly gifted too. Martial definitely isn’t too good to play in Greece, he’s done nothing of note in the game for years.
Obertan? He was just the classic pace only merchant wasn't he?

He has found his level.
Martial is the living proof that talent alone is not enough. You need strong mentality, you need to work hard.

Maybe if he gets afro dyed tee haircut, he'll get lots of love from the fans there. :nervous:

Greece is a good league for him. I don't think he would do well in a top 5 league, even the Dutch league would be too much for him

He has found his level.
Martial is the living proof that talent alone is not enough. You need strong mentality, you need to work hard.
This is 10 per cent luck, 20 per cent skill, 15 per cent concentrated power of will, 5 per cent pleasure, 50 per cent pain

I believe we messed up his development by stopping playing him as a central striker and moving him to the LW.

Was class with his back towards goal, interlinking play and was quite good scoring goals as the central striker.

If I'm correct his two best seasons for us came as him as the central striker - his debut season & Olé's 2nd season.

Good player that did well at United but ultimately physically lost it I'd say more than mentally lost it even though many call him Le Sulk.

28 years old and the only club that was willing to take a chance on him was a club in Greece.

Seems about the right type of move for him at this stage - I was expecting either a move to a league like MLS / Saudi's, a smaller club in a top league (if wages could be agreed), or a decent sized club from a smaller league who'd usually offer European football for a bit each season.

AEK fall into the third category, expect they don't even offer European football this year having got knocked out the Europa Conferences League by Noah. If he can somehow keep fit, he should do all right at that level. But more likely his injury issues will continue.