Anthony Martial | AEK Athens

It’s mad how many times we’ve released someone who was very recently playing in our first team, only for them to not be able to find a club afterwards. Jones, De Gea, Lingard, Martial, I’m sure there’s others I’m forgetting.

It’s mad how many times we’ve released someone who was very recently playing in our first team, only for them to not be able to find a club afterwards. Jones, De Gea, Lingard, Martial, I’m sure there’s others I’m forgetting.

Most of us has been calling them as it is. But you know top red, potential, next year is their year, they'd get better with progressive manager who's not Jose, yadda yadda

Was Jonah even looking for a club? I’d imagine he’s just happy to walk without pain at this point given the terrible injuries and botched surgery.

I don’t know DDG’s circumstances, but I’m sure he will have had and turned down offers. Maybe he’s just happy as he is.

JLingz should have gone to West Ham permanently when his stock was high but Ole botched a move and then he chose Forest presumably because they were paying more. It never worked out and they rightly released him. He doesn’t really seem all that serious about football anymore to be honest.

None of these situations is any fault of the club, Martial, time will tell - but the only complaint I’d have (not including DDG) would be these players shouldn’t have seen out their contracts. We should be better and more ruthless in selling.

With our striking options looking bare, I would take him back on a one year contract on reduced wages.

With our striking options looking bare, I would take him back on a one year contract on reduced wages.
We’ve spent the whole summer getting rid of useless deadweight, just so we can have people suggesting bringing Martial back..

Was wondering where he'd end up. Another ex-united player having a bit of a career break after leaving the club?

One of the worst posts in this forum’s history.

:lol:

I did say on reduced wages.

Ideally, we wouldn't touch him with a bargepole and go and get a proper striker in but we've clearly not got the funds for it.

:lol:

I did say on reduced wages. Ideally, we wouldn't touch him with a bargepole and go get a proper striker in but we've clearly not got the funds for it.

The thing is that you just need to move on as a club sometimes.

I loved watching him play at his best and don't dislike him as much as some. It's just time to move on, even if he played for free.

From what I read in one of the fanzines he burnt his bridges badly in his last year with the club.

Not a cat in hell's chance we'd be taking him back.

Oh interesting - do you remember any details?
Just along the lines of him apparently not trying hard enough to make himself fit and available (or trying at all). Said there is often sympathy for players suffering from regular injuries (Jones was used as a previous example) but that it had completely ran out for Martial.

Just along the lines of him apparently not trying hard enough to make himself fit and available (or trying at all). Said there is often sympathy for players suffering from regular injuries (Jones was used as a previous example) but that it had completely ran out for Martial.
Phil Jones's situation is different. He maybe a rich lad, but the arthritis he is going to suffer is going to be awful and currently there is no way to rebuild / regrow the tendons/ ligaments that snapped in his knees.

Last I read his arthritis will kick in in his 40s and just walking will be excruciatingly painful.

What!!!

He was a leach, this is the most crazy post I've ever seen.

I dont want him back but this post is ridiculous. He was a very good young player before the injuries. He won the Golden Boy award during LvG his period. Mourinho didnt like him but Martial became one of the players who kept Mourinho in his job. Martial was good before Mourinho decided he needed Sanchez for Martial his position. Then Martial his best period was when Ole was the manager. Martial was on his way to become one of the best players in the league before injuries stopped his development.

He earned himself his high wage contract by his play. Had he kept developing he would very likely have been worth the money as he was a good finisher, excellent on the ball and very good hold up play all in a fast and strong player. Injuries ruined him and made him a mostly useless asset but he was not a leach. He earned himself a good contract by his performances and his promise. It just didnt work out because of the injuries.

Shows that becoming a free agent is laden with a lot of risk. The biggest risk is that a player can get a serious injury in the final year and lose out on any future earnings. Other risk is not finding a club like DeGea, Rabiot & Martial and become jobless till a smaller club comes for you, and surely on much much lower wages.

Last edited:
Shows that becoming a free agent is laden with a lot of risk. The biggest risk is that a player can get a serious injury in the final year and lose out on any future earnings. Other risk is not finding a club like DeGea, Rabiot & Martial and become jobless till a smaller club comes for you and surely on much much lower wages.
On a performance/play related deal, he could be useful cover for City 4 Haaland.

Shows that becoming a free agent is laden with a lot of risk. The biggest risk is that a player can get a serious injury in the final year and lose out on any future earnings. Other risk is not finding a club like DeGea, Rabiot & Martial and become jobless till a smaller club comes for you, and surely on much much lower wages.
True

Was wondering where he'd end up. Another ex-united player having a bit of a career break after leaving the club?
Goes to show what the world really thinks of our cast offs. And people are shocked when we get lowball offers?

I dont want him back but this post is ridiculous. He was a very good young player before the injuries. He won the Golden Boy award during LvG his period. Mourinho didnt like him but Martial became one of the players who kept Mourinho in his job. Martial was good before Mourinho decided he needed Sanchez for Martial his position. Then Martial his best period was when Ole was the manager. Martial was on his way to become one of the best players in the league before injuries stopped his development.

He earned himself his high wage contract by his play. Had he kept developing he would very likely have been worth the money as he was a good finisher, excellent on the ball and very good hold up play all in a fast and strong player. Injuries ruined him and made him a mostly useless asset but he was not a leach. He earned himself a good contract by his performances and his promise. It just didnt work out because of the injuries.

I always find it interesting the way Martial fans are so insistent that him failing to kick on after a decent season or two, early in his career, can only be put down to injuries and couldn’t possibly be his fault.

I’d love to know if these same people ever make the same excuse about the likes of Rashford, Sancho or Lindelof.

I always find it interesting the way Martial fans are so insistent that him failing to kick on after a decent season or two, early in his career, can only be put down to injuries and couldn’t possibly be his fault.

I’d love to know if these same people ever make the same excuse about the likes of Rashford, Sancho or Lindelof.
It's a valid argument. For eg, Donny Van de Beek was on course to becoming a great player for us but a pelvis injury kept him out for a full 7 days right after he signed for us and he was never the same player again. We can only guess what miracle would have happened if he wasn't out for that week? (rumour has it though that he was kicked in the pelvis by Ole for not being able to pass)

On a performance/play related deal, he could be useful cover for City 4 Haaland.
A pay as you play deal would be Martial’s worst nightmare, seeing as that’s the one thing he struggles to do.

Nope. If he played for free we would be paying him too much. Assuming he was actually able to play in the first.

Martial will end up signing for some random club and within a month there will be articles about his laziness and lack of work ethic.

Ah, fair enough. Sounds completely on brand for our Anthony. Shame as I was a paid up member of Martial FC for far, far too long ..

It's a valid argument. For eg, Donny Van de Beek was on course to becoming a great player for us but a pelvis injury kept him out for a full 7 days right after he signed for us and he was never the same player again. We can only guess what miracle would have happened if he wasn't out for that week? (rumour has it though that he was kicked in the pelvis by Ole for not being able to pass)

It’s all just speculation though. And it’s funny the way people are so willing to make that specific speculation about some players but not others. Martial’s a supremely talented athlete, whose career was wrecked by injuries. Rashford’s a lazy bastard, stealing a living. Go figure.

Last edited: