View full 2018-19 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you really surprised? I'm not sure it was a penalty, but I think it's one of those properly debatable ones. The defender got a touch on the ball, but got more of the player, and even after he touched it, it was still in play, in the direction Martial was running. Martial is apparently then supposed to make every effort to avoid losing his balance (which he clearly lost just before the arms went up)... and the attack was impeded. The actual fall was exaggerated, but that's a two-way street. Players exaggerated reactions to contact are a direct result of officials not giving fouls when they feel there hasn't been enough contact. Now that players go down the way they do, the threshold for theatrics has been raised quite a bit. VAR done well would solve both problems.

Something I did find very interesting though, the 3 ex-pros in the Sky studio all said it was a good tackle, and both the referee on the pitch and the one in the studio said it was a penalty.

I see what you’re saying but honestly hes playing no differentlynow to how he was playing last season. He fought his way into the 11 and was finding form. Hopefully Jose learns this time.

It was a clear penalty as well. Those guys don’t know the rules. Its not about just getting a touch on the ball. Martial wasnt disposessed and so the contact was a foul

Thought it was a blatant penalty tbh. The ball bounces off the defender, saying he got a touch or won the ball is pretty disingenuous imo. I'm not even sure how its relevant, getting the ball hasn't been enough to justify a foul for about 20 years or something. Martial was the the overwhelming favourite to retain possession if the defender doesn't block him.

None of that is true.
:lol:

In his first season his movement was very good
He used to get in behind defences a lot.
You are conflating 'getting in behind' with movement. He used to beat defences for pace off through balls. But attacking the space so as to receive a ball on the run was NOT his thing. He'd always wait to receive and then take off.

He now always wants the ball to feet....

He has ALWAYS wanted balls to feet. Now he even attacks the space to receive the ball. Before he'd wait for it to reach him, then go

Even today how many times did he actually attack the space? He got the ball played to feet and he went at the defence
Did you pay actual attention to his runs? He'd make a run, receive the ball on the move and not just run at the player, he'd attack the space. It's another reason why he doesn't run smack into a standing player as much like happened oft the second half of last season, in an attempt to dribble.

How he won the penalty is proof. He forced the defender to abandon his attempt at a stationary defence stance forcing him into a foul, by attacking the space either side as he ran at him. Previously he'd have tried to plain go through him with his skill as if dribbling around an obstacle course. Which previously was too reliant on his confidence and form levels to consistently execute.

Last edited:
Another MOTM performance from Martial. In a fantastic form atm, but that miss, in the end, was abysmal. Looked devastated after the game.
Should be a starter every game now, none of that Alexis shit, please.

Classic Jose.

Tries to sell him in every window. Forced to give him a run of games because of injuries. Tries to take the credit when he inevitably plays well due to getting said run of games.

His insecurity is staggering.

Well well, Martial Fc is running hot. I'm very glad. I have been with him since the beginning but have had my doubts though. Hopefully he will cement his place on the left. What pisses me off is that Sanchez stole a good chunk of his game time. I cant believe how bad deal Sanchez is turning out to be; his hindrance to Martials Progress and being shit combined is something else.

:devil::devil::devil:

I'm pretty sure he was so disappointed with himself about that miss and took his time griefing after the final whistle.

Nice stuff to see. Well Martial, you can get back up and score the next one for us!

He took it really hard haha..almost like losing a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can't stand this guy

What really took a long time was him getting it through his thick head that the squads most promising and gifted attacker deserved a solid run of games to play himself back into form. It's like Jose forgot about his form under LvG

Shame it took so long,Alexis doesn't ever deserve to start on the left over him again

He's playing the same way now as he was last season prior to Sanchez's arrival (ok maybe he's slightly better right now given the 2 goals at Chelsea and another yesterday but still)

:lol:

You are conflating 'getting in behind' with movement. He used to beat defences for pace off through balls. But attacking the space so as to receive a ball on the run was NOT his thing. He'd always wait to receive and then take off.

He has ALWAYS wanted balls to feet. Now he even attacks the space to receive the ball. Before he'd wait for it to reach him, then go

Did you pay actual attention to his runs? He'd make a run, receive the ball on the move and not just run at the player, he'd attack the space. It's another reason why he doesn't run smack into a standing player as much like happened oft the second half of last season, in an attempt to dribble.

How he won the penalty is proof. He forced the defender to abandon his attempt at a stationary defence stance forcing him into a foul, by attacking the space either side as he ran at him. Previously he'd have tried to plain go through him with his skill as if dribbling around an obstacle course. Which previously was too reliant on his confidence and form levels to consistently execute.

Watch his performance from the Everton fa cup match

Everything you are talking about he was already doing. Receiving the ball on the run, driving into the space, makin runs in behind, receiving the ball on the turn, isolating players 1 v 1.

There is no difference between his performance yesterday and his first season here.

He's playing the same way now as he was last season prior to Sanchez's arrival (ok maybe he's slightly better right now given the 2 goals at Chelsea and another yesterday but still)

Still annoyed by that! He was doing really well before we bought sanchez and mourinho decided to bench martial. I hope we can find a way for both of them to be starting and firing on all cylinders..that would be some sight!

Thought it was a blatant penalty tbh. The ball bounces off the defender, saying he got a touch or won the ball is pretty disingenuous imo. I'm not even sure how its relevant, getting the ball hasn't been enough to justify a foul for about 20 years or something. Martial was the the overwhelming favourite to retain possession if the defender doesn't block him.
It was a penalty.

The same penalty that people like Salah, Sane, Sterling and Mane get basically every week because they run at the opposition and commit them.

Man this isn't any Jose man management/ coaching.

Its a young player finally being given a run in the team, allowed to make mistakes, playing through poor games and finding his confidence again.

Martial FC were right all along. We closed memberships in summer when everyone wanted him out for being present for the birth of his child.

Now sign that contract :drool:

Would love to see him upfront. He's made for it.
Never agreed with this notion. At best he's an inside forward.
He's at his best when he is one on one with the RCB or RB. I don't think he would get into that position enough as a striker.

The whole situation has been a waste of everyone's time. Martial's current form could have been achieved earlier if Mourinho wasn't so stubborn with Sanchez at first.
The other week after a bad Martial game Jose implied that's what the fans were begging for for months almost as if to throw it back their in their faces. Now it's being painted as masterclass man management. I can't even :lol:. I'll give him credit for benching Lukaku though. Before Martial had to beat his man, the winger and whatever CB Lukaku was hiding behind

Pretty much the best forward at the club, great performance. Should be burying that 1v1 though.

Never agreed with this notion. At best he's an inside forward.
He's at his best when he is one on one with the RCB or RB. I don't think he would get into that position enough as a striker.

Agree with this but only if we are assuming we are talking about lone striker. I liked him up top with Lukaku when we played 352 a few times last season.

I want to see him sprint for a long time to see how quick he actually is!

He always seems to let the defender catch up so he can take them on again, or when he has space to run into he just comes inside and it frustrates me!

So are people finally going to admit he can work fine in Jose's system then?

When he wasn't starting we started to see lots of bollocks arguments about him not making it here due to poor instruction blah blah blah. All bollocks

The other week after a bad Martial game Jose implied that's what the fans were begging for for months almost as if to throw it back their in their faces. Now it's being painted as masterclass man management. I can't even :lol:. I'll give him credit for benching Lukaku though. Before Martial had to beat his man, the winger and whatever CB Lukaku was hiding behind
Yup. Mourinho can be a big baby at times

A happy Martial is a fantastic player.

He seems noticeably perkier recently, I guess his private life is going better lately. Mourinho actually playing him in a run of games helps too, rotating players on and off just doesn't work, you need consistent minutes.

When he wasn't starting we started to see lots of bollocks arguments about him not making it here due to poor instruction blah blah blah. All bollocks

Those anti-mourinho bunch must be so confused today :lol:

Bet they will be looking for another angle to bitch at Jose. Who needs the ABU media when you have fans like these

Bet they will be looking for another angle to bitch at Jose. Who needs the ABU media when you have fans like these
This.

Jose is Mr Miyagi.

Martial Karate Kid.

Insolent youth questions old masters methods.

Buys into them and becomes a champ.

I love this gaaame.

Mourinho FC and Martial FC unite, long contracts for both :drool:

Imagine trying to bend martials recent form into a positive from mourinho........
No choice now that Martial is proving himself unsellable. Jose fans now have to revise the narrative they've been pushing themselves for months

Imagine trying to bend martials recent form into a positive from mourinho........

Or you know you can be a sensible person and say that the manager and player have worked together to come this point.

What's the point in such black and white thinking? So you can create an us vs them situation based on a tribalistic idea?

Some people say that Martial playing badly is the managers fault, but then say that him playing well is his own doing and vice versa. That doesn't make sense, it's logically inconsistent.

Amazing that some people can still give Mourinho credit for taking 3 years to get Martial to the level he was at before he was manager. Frankly, it's a bit of a joke.

I'm guessing he and Shaw are flukes right? Playing well because they know big bad Jose is gone by seasons end?

No they are playing well because they are playing consistently. Something Jose has refused to allow them to do since he has been here.

Everyone has said that over and over. Let them play and they will grow confidence and look Great. Jose has been forced to play them. Now they are in form he can't say anything .

They were both playing at this level before Jose was even here. So after 3 years it's nothing more than a feeling of him clearly holding them back.

I don't care about the Jose for and against angle. Quite clearly the tactical/coaching arguments were bollocks and those who gave out should recognise that but so many on here rarely do admit as such. They'll reuse the same line if he has a bad game or two.

I'm also sick of having to caveat every post on here because people don't understand discussing one element does not just mean jose fan/anti-jose. The state of the above posts is like talking to children.

There's plenty of valid criticisms about Jose dropping Martial etc just as there was valid criticisms of his game. Can't have that though as the morons have lowered debate to "Lolz Jose fan"

Or you know you can be a sensible person and say that the manager and player have worked together to come this point.

What's the point in such black and white thinking? So you can create an us vs them situation based on a tribalistic idea?

Some people say that Martial playing badly is the managers fault, but then say that him playing well is his own doing and vice versa. That doesn't make sense, it's logically inconsistent.

It's not inconsistent. Martial was playing for a manager for the last 2 who didn't have confidence in him and didn't give him the same opportunity as others. Once he actually did have to give him a run of games he performed. Then he killed his confidence again until again he had no choice but to play him again. It's the most obvious thing in a world, anyone could have told Jose what he needed to do to get martial to perform but he is too stubborn.

If it was up to Jose martial wouldn't of even been at the club anymore.

No it's Jose that finally showed patience with Martial. We already knew he could work fine in Jose system in January this year actually. Before Sanchez arrived.
He just picked off from where he was in his last extended run in the team. Nothing more.

I feel like every time Martial plays well like he did the other day we need to post this.

MARTIAL FC “ We are Martial”

Side note excellent film.

That goal was absolute class, he loves that finish, hopefully continues and with Jose’s change of tactics and the added speed at what we pass the ball about we are finally getting him back to where he was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.