View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
One could've also said the same about Mkhitaryan for the first few months of last year. I don't see it as not rating a player, but rather as Mourinho slowly developing Martial into something he wants out of him.

Well that's my point. It seems pretty obvious that Martial isn't Mourinho's cup of tea. But some refuse to accept that as a possibility. As if it's something that's never happened before.

Well that's my point. It seems pretty obvious that Martial isn't Mourinho's cup of tea. But some refuse to accept that as a possibility. As if it's something that's never happened before.
If Martial isn't Mourinho's cup of tea, he wouldn't be playing.

I don't know how anyone can make that determination. We have one striker in Lukaku and Rashford and Martial are sharing minutes on the left. To conclude that Martial is not Mourinho's cup of tea because Rashford is getting more minutes is really clutching at straws, and I doubt Mourinho views it in those terms. There will be times where Martial gets more minutes to the detriment of Rashford's playing time as well. Its just how things go when the manager privileges overall team success over promoting or squashing specific players.

Not really. It's not an all or nothing situation. Im sure Mourinho sees a lot of talent in him but equally there's a reluctance to trust him.

I don't know how anyone can make that determination. We have one striker in Lukaku and Rashford and Martial are sharing minutes on the left. To conclude that Martial is not Mourinho's cup of tea because Rashford is getting more minutes is really clutching at straws, and I doubt Mourinho views it in those terms. There will be times where Martial gets more minutes to the detriment of Rashford's playing time as well. Its just how things go when the manager privileges overall team success over promoting or squashing specific players.

Well there's all last season as well.

In the last few posts you've said he's dropped Martial due to rotation. Then you said it's in order to develop Martial as a player. Which is it?

That's kind of what I mean. It's any reason that isn't a manager just not rating a player like others would. I don't get the reluctance to consider that a possibility. Especially with a character like Mourinho.

Not really. It's not an all or nothing situation. Im sure Mourinho sees a lot of talent in him but equally there's a reluctance to trust him.

In the last few posts you've said he's dropped Martial due to rotation. Then you said it's in order to develop Martial as a player. Which is it?

That's kind of what I mean. It's any reason that isn't a manager just not rating a player like others would. I don't get the reluctance to consider that a possibility. Especially with a character like Mourinho.

If Mourinho didn't rate him he would be gone, or at a minimum he would never set foot on the pitch. He is clearly developing Martial into something much bigger than what we have seen so far.

One question here, Mourinho wanted Perisic during summer and Inter asked us to give them Martial so we can get Perisic, if Martial isn't Jose's cup of tea, why the hell this trade didn't occur ? He'll get the player he wanted all the summer instead of the player he's "supposedly" not keen on.

If Mourinho didn't rate him he would be gone, or at a minimum he would never set foot on the pitch. He is clearly developing Martial into something much bigger than what we have seen so far.

Read back, I didn't say he doesn't rate Martial at all. I just think it's clear he prefers a different type of player. Where as other managers might view Martial as central to the future success of the club.

Again, there's a real reluctance to accept this a possibility. Which is odd given the manager we're talking about here.

One question here, Mourinho wanted Perisic during summer and Inter asked us to give them Martial so we can get Perisic, if Martial isn't Jose's cup of tea, why the hell this trade didn't occur ? He'll get the player he wanted all the summer instead of the player he's "supposedly" not keen on.

I can't argue against this as it's just presumed details of a deal you weren't privvy to.

I can't argue against this as it's just presumed details of a deal you weren't privvy to.

This deal has been everywhere during the last 2 months of summer. Some meltdowns even happened because of it in the transfer forum anyway.

This deal has been everywhere during the last 2 months of summer. Some meltdowns even happened because of it in the transfer forum anyway.

Personally I wouldn't base and then speculate my argument on some tabloid rumours.

First of all you're basing this purely on media speculation.

Secondly, even if this is what happened, and Mourinho didn't sanction this deal, it would only prove he's not a complete imbecile. Which is.. reassuring I guess..?

Personally I wouldn't base and then speculate my argument on some tabloid rumours.

It's up to you to believe what you want. What I can do is bring you what has been said. It's not my problem to convince you anyway.

If Martial were Mourinho's cup of tea he'd have had the same playing time as the likes of De Gea given his performance alone this season.

Martial has managed decent minutes so far (though still not much in the PL) because he's been pulling trees.

I mean the guy is our player of the month yet hardly played in the PL.

Truth be told, Martial keeps this form and still finds himself playing a tenth of Rashford's playing time in the PL he'd simply want to jump ship. And with his form many clubs will come knocking which will further turn his head and find place where he'd get regular football and properly appreciated

Some people don't want to admit it but Mourinho doesn't rate Martial that highly or at least doesn't trust him very much which is why we're seating here predicting him to be benched against Liverpool when he's been our player of the month.

No matter what angle one tries to look at things, an attacking player that offer the team with its most potent attacking threat and is statistically the most productive would likely be the first name on most managers team sheets. Be it goals, assists, chances created Martial's ratio in those categories easily surpass any of our attacking players. Normally this would mean he's the first player picked but that's not the case, why is that?

Like someone already mentioned, the sooner some people accept that Martial's problem is simply a case of the manager not rating him quite highly or just not trusting enough, the sooner we'd stop reading all these far fetched theories as to why he keeps getting dropped despite putting in MOTM performances.

Truth be told, Martial keep this form and still find himself playing a tenth of Rashford's playing time in the PL he'd simply want to jump ship. And with his form many clubs will come knocking which will further turn his head and find place where he'd get regular football and appreciated properly.

Some people don't want to admit it but Mourinho doesn't rate Martial that highly or at least doesn't trust him very much which is why we're seating here predicting him to be benched against Liverpool when he's been our player of the month.

No matter what angle one tries to look at things, an attacking player that offer the teams most potent threat, is statically the most productive in the team would likely be the first name on most managers team sheets. Be it goals, assists, chances created Martial's ratio in those categories easily surpass any of our attacking players. Normally this would mean he's the first player picked but that's not the case, why is that?

Like someone already mentioned, the sooner some people accept that Martial's problem is simply a case of the manager not rating him very highly or just not trusting enough, the sooner we'd stop reading all these far fetched theories as to why he keeps getting dropped despite putting in MOTM performances.

Agreed, the criminal underusage of Martial is my biggest gripe with Mourinho's tenure so far. Every other top 6 manager in the league would have started Martial.

If he manages to drive him out of the club it will take some serious honours to endear me to him again.

The player that's being so badly mismanaged just won player of the month.

Being player of the month is down to Martial, not Mourinho's management.

It is quite telling that our player of the month didn't get any start in the PL and is expected to start on the bench in an upcoming high profile game.

Mourinho is doing the right thing.

Thank God none of you are managing MUFC. Keep throwing those peanuts tho

I'm am quite sure he'd have made that trade if he had managed to get Griezmann

It is quite telling that our player of the month didn't get any start in the PL and is expected to start on the bench in an upcoming high profile game.
Martial had the bigger part for sure but you're deluding yourself if you think Mourinho's management had nothing to do with it :lol: That's just madness.

Hes been fantastic so far this season, a massive improvement from what we saw last season. If he continues to show this kind of form surely he makes it impossible for Jose leave him on the bench!

I've no doubt that Wenger wants Martial, not wanting him would be stupid. However he has more than 2 and half years left on his contract(if we include the option we've of extending the contract), so it's bit of a non-story.

Re: the Perisic thing, he wasn't signed to replace Martial.
"I have faith in Anthony," Mourinho insisted. "Probably the player I was looking at was not a pure winger because I have pure wingers.

"Probably the player that I was looking for is a player that allows me to play with three at the back and play wing backs

The above quote confirms it, although it won't matter much to the guys in here who have already madeup their minds, but I reckon we'd have seen much more of the 3-4-3 we played against CSKA, if we had signed Perisic with Martial playing as a striker supporting Rom.

You claimed it was Mourinho's management that resulted in Martial being underwhelming last season. So Martial's form last season was down to Mourinho, but his improved form this season has nothing to do with Mourinho and is because of Martial himself?

Okay

You claimed it was Mourinho's management that resulted in Martial being underwhelming last season. So Martial's form last season was down to Mourinho, but his improved form this season has nothing to do with Mourinho and is because of Martial himself?

Okay

Haven't you done the same but in reverse?

People need to stop comparing KDB case with Martial's one. KDB was always either an unused sub or out of the team sheet completely. That's not similar to Martial at all, as he's always used either a starter or as a sub.
If Mou really trusted him he'd be starter in all the games as is with all of mou's main men.

Haven't you done the same but in reverse?

No. I said he was underwhelming by his standards last season and have said he's good this season. In fact I've said the opposite, saying the change in formation and play style might not have been easy for him and wouldn't have suited his style.

Given he's adapted and more suited to Jose's tactics it's only logical his performances would improve as a result. I wouldn't place Martial's poor form last season on Jose's feet, nor his improvements solely on his feet either. Having better players like Lukaku and Matic in and around the team also helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.