5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope PSG buy him. He may well flourish here next season, but I tend to think he has too much ground to make up to become a viable Premier League player. This would be the last chance to get big money for him, and I'd take it.

I don't think I'm alone in not ever warming to Di Maria. He strikes me as a player that doesn't give much of a shite and half of the time his head isn't screwed on. Very similar mentality to Nani. I'd not be hugely fussed if he left as it would all but confirm his poor mentality. I just can't see him doing what Fellaini and Young did to restore their careers here.

With Memphis Depay playing as an inverted winger on the left and a central midfield geared towards reliable possession his only place really would be on the right wing.

If he had the freedom to come infield and essentially play a free role out there I think he could be brilliant. It's down to whether or not he wants it though.

Yep. In a settled team there's no reason he can't be very successful out on the wing for us. While he flourished as a central midfielder during his last season at Madrid, people would do well to remember that he was still a largely successful winger before that. I think talk of his sale borders on ludicrous. It's counter productive.

I don't think I'm alone in not ever warming to Di Maria. He strikes me as a player that doesn't give much of a shite and half of the time his head isn't screwed on. Very similar mentality to Nani. I'd not be hugely fussed if he left as it would all but confirm his poor mentality. I just can't see him doing what Fellaini and Young did to restore their careers here.

I think that's unfair on Nani in regards to attitude, by the way. He's an extremely hard worker. On topic, though, Di Maria does give the impression he doesn't care, which is strange in that visible work rate was seemingly a strength prior to this season, but I do admire his persistence. He never hid.

You raise the subject of Young, a player with an attitude to playing here that I previously found to be terrible. Here was a man with a incredible opportunity that was insistent on wasting it due to cowardice. He's changed that against all the odds, so it isn't beyond reasonable doubt to suggest that Di Maria can do that, too.

If he does want it leave, however, I'll be inclined to agree with you. Pissing off to France would be the easy thing to do, and he would leave England a failure.

Shouldn't entertain any offers unless we can sign a replacement of a similar calibre e.g. Bale, Reus. He's had a very poor first season, that's it. Given time in a settled side and bit more freedom with a little less expectation and pressure I reckon he'll flourish. He's a world class player, we need people like him the squad if we want to seriosuly challenge.

He's played like he doesn't want to be here all season, and if that's the case then he should just leave.

I think that's unfair on Nani in regards to attitude, by the way. He's an extremely hard worker. On topic, though, Di Maria does give the impression he doesn't care, which is strange in that visible work rate was seemingly a strength prior to this season, but I do admire his persistence. He never hid.

You raise the subject of Young, a player with an attitude to playing here that I previously found to be terrible. Here was a man with a incredible opportunity that was insistent on wasting it due to cowardice. He's changed that against all the odds, so it isn't beyond reasonable doubt to suggest that Di Maria can do that, too.

If he does want it leave, however, I'll be inclined to agree with you. Pissing off to France would be the easy thing to do, and he would leave England a failure.
Yeah but if Young leaves it won't be to top club. He knows that. Di Maria would have offers from places which I assume he would be more interested in than Manchester.

Yeah but if Young leaves it won't be to top club. He knows that. Di Maria would have offers from places which I assume he would be more interested in than Manchester.

If that's how he feels then that's disappointing. United is a good place to be at the moment, and I think the rest of our squad, and staff, would attest to that. I want Di Maria to succeed here and believe he can, so him wanting to stay would be a big, big plus for us.

That clarification actually worries me more, to be honest. As if Fellaini is under the impression that Di Maria does infact have a decision to make. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it.
I think he was asked something like "Do you think Di Maria is leaving?" and as he can't speak for Di Maria he just said "If I was him I wouldn't".

Anyway I guess during and even ahead of Copa America Di Maria will have enough interviews to give, so we will hear from the man himself soon enough what he thinks.

Why do people question Di Maria's attitude? His performances haven't been the best but I don't doubt his attitude. From the interviews I've seen he's a realistic guy that is very happy that his daughter is still alive and that he's playing for a big club. He's always been a hard worker on the pitch and he hasn't complained publically about being benched either. He probably wasn't very happy this season because of on and off the pitch issues but there's nothing holding him back from improving next season. Why should other players get a 2nd season but not Di Maria, even though he's proven to be a great creative player for us already in glimpses?

He's said he wanted to stay and fight for his place and I'm sure he will. I don't even think PSG can afford him realistically speaking, there's 0 chance of a swap deal with them too.

Wonder if he was LvG's or Woodward's signing. I suspect the latter.

This has been discussed numeral times, it doesn't matter. LvG will never agree to sign a player he doesn't want, if Woody forced a player onto him we would've heard about it. LvG mentioned Di Maria himself as a worldclass winger so I'm sure he wanted him.

Why do people question Di Maria's attitude? His performances haven't been the best but I don't doubt his attitude. From the interviews I've seen he's a realistic guy that is very happy that his daughter is still alive and that he's playing for a big club. He's always been a hard worker on the pitch and he hasn't complained publically about being benched either. He probably wasn't very happy this season because of on and off the pitch issues but there's nothing holding him back from improving next season. Why should other players get a 2nd season but not Di Maria, even though he's proven to be a great creative player for us already in glimpses?

He's said he wanted to stay and fight for his place and I'm sure he will. I don't even think PSG can afford him realistically speaking, there's 0 chance of a swap deal with them too.

This has been discussed numeral times, it doesn't matter. LvG will never agree to sign a player he doesn't want, if Woody forced a player onto him we would've heard about it. LvG mentioned Di Maria himself as a worldclass winger so I'm sure he wanted him.

If that were the case then I'm confident LVG won't want to get rid after a season.

He's played like he doesn't want to be here all season, and if that's the case then he should just leave.
This ...In the final game of the season he was barely touched but still went off after 20 minutes or something and it had all the signs of a player that didn't want to get injured in his last game in case it could scupper a move away.....He looked like the best player in the league in his first 3 games and then hasn't looked happy or interested since........Maybe with a bit of English learned over the summer and a good rest then he can come back and become a great player next season..that's defo possible but as Scholesy put it many months ago - he hasn't looked happy

I don't understand the attitude here, at times.

One of the biggest contributors towards the visual downfall of his performances is a complete lack of confidence. He went from one of the valuable players in the world to bench warmer in the space of 6 months. It's odd that when others play bad it's mostly because they're out of form etc., but any poor outing from di Maria and the "he doesn't want to be here" crew start their engines.

We have, in our hands, a world class player, who are very hard to acquire, these days. A man who, not too long ago, ripped apart the world champions. So for those who keep throwing around the "he only performed well at the beginning because he was playing shit teams like QPR, Burnley etc", I say he was performing well because he was full of confidence and playing in his favoured position. The moment we stuck him out on the wings, against WBA, was the moment we witnessed a completely different di Maria.

We have an assist machine whether in form or out, and we should, if the rumours are to be believed, do everything to keep here. As @NL Max points out, di Maria isn't the type of guy who would complain about being on the bench or shy away from responsibility, just read what he says about his daughter and how grateful he was about her birth. I would assume he thinks similarly of being here at Manchester United, one of the greatest clubs of all time; privileged is a word that comes to mind.

A second chance could be the key to getting the best out of him, it'll certainly provide him with the faith and confidence he quite clearly lacks.

For the millionth time....LvG name dropped Di Maria as a "world class winger, that we don't have already", then we bought him.
This was a club signing. Who wouldn't turn down a world class player if handed to them.

This was a club signing. Who wouldn't turn down a world class player if handed to them.
Pretty much. Not to say he was forced onto van Gaal, but this signing would have happened regardless of manager (yes, even Moyes) when you look at Di Maria's motivation for coming here.

Last edited:

Disagree. Van Gaal asked for him and got him. Why would a business waste 60m on an unwanted asset. That's double our previous transfer record. You think van Gaal would specifically mention a player he didn't specifically want?

Disagree. Van Gaal asked for him and got him. Why would a business waste 60m on an unwanted asset. That's double our previous transfer record. You think van Gaal would specifically mention a player he didn't specifically want?

doubt the club would buy a player the manager has not asked for.

I think he will come good..after he adopts van Gaal's philosphy.
Wouldn't be too different from the Mata transfer, really. Convenient for all parties, including Woodward. Pretty much a no-brainer for a manager looking to strengthen his team.
Neither manager seemed to have a real clue how they were using their big-name signing.
Only difference is the price, but you could argue we were more desperate, following a shocking year. It just tells us the way the club views signings now, under new management.
Not 'unwanted', but there are degrees between 'wanted' and 'unwanted'.

Wow looking at those quotes I reckon he's very close to leaving.

Yup you would have to say on the balance of probabilities he will not be here in the summer. I actually think it would be best for both parties, he is best as a LCM and he isn't going to get the chance to play such a role in this side under LVG.. not possession minded enough and as a winger he isn't that great in my opinion, never has been.

Even Di Maria this season was at least productive and had similiar numbers to Nani at his best.

Incorrect.

Di Maria has 3 goals + 11 assists in 20 PL starts. He averages 0.7 g+a per start.

Nani during his whole time at United has 25 goals + 56 assists in 111 PL starts. He averages 0.73 g+a per start.

At his peak Nani had 9 goals + 19 assists in 31 starts. An average of 0.9 g+a per start.

Across the 4 seasons that Nani started at least 15 PL games, he averaged 0.8 g+a per start.

Sorry but Di Maria has not even managed to match Nani's average productivity, nevermind his best seasons.

(stats from Transfermarkt - Di Maria has 7 sub appearances compared to 35 for Nani in the PL so PL starts is a reasonable proxy for playing time, given their respective number of starts)

Last edited:
I agree with the general point you make. It's more a complete lack of confidence than anything to do with a poor attitude or not being suited to the league.

We have, in our hands, a world class player, who are very hard to acquire, these days. A man who, not too long ago, ripped apart the world champions. So for those who keep throwing around the "he only performed well at the beginning because he was playing shit teams like QPR, Burnley etc", I say he was performing well because he was full of confidence and playing in his favoured position. The moment we stuck him out on the wings, against WBA, was the moment we witnessed a completely different di Maria.

I really don't understand this point. You bring up his performance against Germany which was superb but neglect to mention that the performance came when he was playing on the wing not through the middle. And then in the next sentence you blame his lack of form on him playing out wide. His performances were very poor regardless of the position he played in (and it's a position he's played in for the majority of his career).

Speculation continues to look as if he's off, it doesn't exactly surprise... well perhaps some on here may be, who knows, I just hope we get a decent fee and not some hideous season long loan deal with an option to buy type agreement.

Unless we get £50m and use that on Bale, I will be disappointed if we get rid. Still think he can come good.

I know I should be more nervous about these rumours with him leaving, but I don't think I really mind that much. He has the quality, I just don't think he suits Van Gaal's system. He played well in the middle, but Van Gaal didn't like the balance which cost us goals. He's not performing well out wide.

If we get a good fee, then fine let him go. We'll strengthen this Summer anyway.

I know I should be more nervous about these rumours with him leaving, but I don't think I really mind that much. He has the quality, I just don't think he suits Van Gaal's system. He played well in the middle, but Van Gaal didn't like the balance which cost us goals. He's not performing well out wide.

If we get a good fee, then fine let him go. We'll strengthen this Summer anyway.

Its ridiculous to get rid ADM in just ONE SEASON! yes its has been a disappointing one, especially second half of the season. But come on, this guy is magic when he is on form and first half of the season show what he can do. He needs more time to settle in, find his place in the team and then push to be the best he can be. United are gonna need him next season, especially in UCL.

Its ridiculous to get rid ADM in just ONE SEASON! yes its has been a disappointing one, especially second half of the season. But come on, this guy is magic when he is on form and first half of the season show what he can do. He needs more time to settle in, find his place in the team and then push to be the best he can be. United are gonna need him next season, especially in UCL.

I'm saying this assuming the player doesn't want to be here. We don't know whether Di Maria is actually enjoying United or not. I've said the same with De Gea, no point keeping a player if he doesn't want to be here.

...and first half of the season show what he can do.

He wasnt good in the whole of the first half of season. If memory serves me well, did he not get injured around November? Once this happened, he was average.
So really, he was good for 2 months. For the rest of his time he was average (not bad, just average).

Probably alone here, but I don't put his early 'good' form down to playing in the middle. He was bound to have a few really good games at some stage during a 38 game season. They just happened to come at the initial period (mostly against dross), where, frankly, the whole team (a number of them being new) played with a degree of 'swagger' and zip.

I think too much is being made of his position, personally.

Impressed with his recent comments. He's made for Manchester United, just needs to rediscover his form.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/angel-di-maria-rubbishes-man-5825785

I'd be happy if the quotes are true, shows he has some determination and character. He can definitely be one of our best players and hopefully he stays fit for us and can be an integral part of the team next season, him and Depay on wings in full swing is mouth watering.
Richard Keys looks like a prized lemon now after tweeting a week ago that he heard from a source in the know that Di Maria asked to leave.....Not that Key isn't a prized lemon already......best thing Sky ever did was fire the muppet.....I hope to God Di Maria stays.....with a good holiday and a good pre-season he can only be good for us next season. Mata was atrocious in his first 6 months yet was fairly decent this season ...Di Maria is twice the player Mata is so if he can settle in Manchester then we could have ourselves a world beater next season

That's twice he said he wanted to stay at United, he ain't going anywhere. Can't wait for him to show us what he's really got next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.