5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messi voted for him for Ballon d'Or so we should definitely keep him.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some are saying LvG is trying to change his style of play or restricting his freedom. He was given maximum freedom everytime he's played. I remember at the start of the season he was doing ridiculous shit like shooting from 40 yards out at least twice every game, Sending a long ball in from the half way line or trying to take on 4 players from near our own penalty area. He'll never be the kind of player who passes and moves. He's a dribbler and a fantastic one too.

Eventually he lost confidence in himself and it affects the dribblers the most. The injuries didn't help either. I don't see how anyone can blame van Gaal for di Maria's poor form. LvG experimented with different positions only to give him more space and allowed him to take on players. He did that very well as a striker. Some of our counter attacks from De Gea's throws/kicks were amazing to watch. The rest of the team had to be specially set up to adjust for di Maria's knack for losing possession. I think it's safe to say in the end the manager got a bit tired of it and benched him because he was not able to do the things he usually does and became more of a liability.

He still doesn't know english. He needs to adjust soon for his own sake. No one has any doubts in his abilities. We should never sell players of his quality.

Most attacking players turn the ball over a lot. Finding an attacking player who can play such a possession based game but can still provide creativity and a cutting edge is a very difficult balance to find.

Di Maria has all of the ability. He can create centrally and from out wide. He can play a short possession game and can use his pace on the counter attack. His biggest issue just now is mental. It may confidence or lack of desire but if he rectifies that it's hard to see United being able to sign a better player. It would be a waste to discard him after one season.

He won't be the first and certainly won't be the last player to come to the PL and struggle in his irst season.
I can't for one second think the club will entertain selling him. The guy has recently said how he wants to go about next season in a United shirt.
The guy was adjusting nicely to United until the break in, after that he clearly was troubled. Come pre-season he will have the basics of English (hopefully), he will be free from distractions of big money move and Madrid so free to concentrate on getting his confidence back.
That goal against Leicester was world class. He has done stuff like that consistently as a player, we just need him to find the love again....and he will.
United 'fans' wanting to sell a world class player after a poor season......heads gone.

I'm struggling to think of a logical reason I can think of that would lead to him leaving. The only one that is possible is if he is desperate to get out and hasn't settled in England. We certainly wouldn't be selling after one bad season - that's just bad management and to be honest would be incredibly embarrassing after breaking the transfer record to bring him here.

I wouldn't be embarrassed if we recouped £50m+

It'd be more embarrassing if he spent another season underwhelming for us and being kept out of the side.

Keeping him in the hope of avoiding embarrassment could backfire spectacularly. Pride comes before a fall and all that.

No United attacking player can lay claim to having a good season. I've said it before I lay some of the blame for Di Maria's bad form on LvG, and his philosophy. If the manager wanted a player to adapt to the team he should not have purchased him for a record fee. You don't buy a world class player at the peak of his powers and try change his playing style, position and restrict his flair.

He's a free spirit, let him express himself on the pitch.
I'd agree with most of this and add that LVG's philosophy shouldn't be a straitjacket and the team would benefit more from an unpredictable player like like him in the squad looking at our difficulties in chance creation this season. We average ball possession at 60% + but we can't find a way past WBA at home, can we really believe that this 'philosophy' is the only way to the promised land?

It's fair to say it's been a hard year for him. He missed the world cup final, clearly a player like that knows he had the potential to make the difference. Then he gets dumped by his club after four outstanding seasons and helping them win 'la decima'. We buy him, a club who are in 7th place and a fading force in the eyes of many (not completely wrong) for a record British buy which he also has to live up to. Then there's the culture shock, his house getting burgled, adapting to a new style of play and the like. Plus he's played football non stop for quite some time. He's only human, give him time he will come good.

He can't speak English, neither could Tevez and he was fecking brilliant.
Lets not try and rewrite history here, it was one outstanding season (His last one there) and three seasons where he fluctuated between the sublime and the average, much like Nani. Although I do agree that given time and support from the club he will come good and justify his transfer.

Manchester United’s Belgian midfielder Marouane Fellaini has really put his foot in his mouth with some comments made on French TV station Téléfoot.

Asked if Angel Di Maria would be a good signing by PSG, Fellaini responded “Angel Di Maria would be a good signing for PSG. He is a world class player.”

Signed by Louis van Gaal for £59.7m from Real Madrid last summer, the Premier League record signing has been linked to PSG in recent weeks.

Despite having a below-average first season at Old Trafford, Manchester United fans on Twitter were bewildered by Marouane Fellaini’s comments.

The afro-haired midfielder was already in the bad books with Man United fans after receiving a needless (and reckless) red card in the final game of the season – making him unavailable for the first three games of next season.

Stupid from Fellaini .No need to feed the media.

Manchester United’s Belgian midfielder Marouane Fellaini has really put his foot in his mouth with some comments made on French TV station Téléfoot.

Asked if Angel Di Maria would be a good signing by PSG, Fellaini responded “Angel Di Maria would be a good signing for PSG. He is a world class player.”

Signed by Louis van Gaal for £59.7m from Real Madrid last summer, the Premier League record signing has been linked to PSG in recent weeks.

Despite having a below-average first season at Old Trafford, Manchester United fans on Twitter were bewildered by Marouane Fellaini’s comments.

The afro-haired midfielder was already in the bad books with Man United fans after receiving a needless (and reckless) red card in the final game of the season – making him unavailable for the first three games of next season.

He was asked if Di Maria would be a good signing for PSG. He just gave his opinion.

We loaned out Nani who is more talented than Di Maria and can use both feet.

I still believe we would have been better off simply playing Nani on a regular basis.

Nani is like Rafael, every week he isn't here he gets better and better and people already forget how shit he was in his last months here. Even Di Maria this season was at least productive and had similiar numbers to Nani at his best. According to some people Nani is a goalscoring winger :lol:
I would call players like Ronaldo, Bale, Griezmann like that, Depay has the potential to be one of them, but Nani? He won't return and it's completely understandable why, some decent performances in Portugal doesn't change that.

Would be madness if we sell a quality player like AdM after one year, if it doesn't work out next year either, we can discuss if it's better for both parties to go seperate ways, but after one season it we shouldn't even consider it.

The press didn't give his full quotes (naturally). But let's hang him anyway.

Would be madness if we sell a quality player like AdM after one year, if it doesn't work out next year either, we can discuss if it's better for both parties to go seperate ways, but after one season it we shouldn't even consider it.

Is it really that mad? The player Di Maria is a risk taker, he will loose the ball often because he tries to create all the time, LvG demands a possession style of football where you open a team up slowly and take your time finding the gaps in defences, I just don't think Di Maria who is at his peak can adapt to it. Next year his value will be much lower than it is now, and i think if we got the right bid it would be best to part ways for both the club and his own sake.

Is it really that mad? The player Di Maria is a risk taker, he will loose the ball often because he tries to create all the time, LvG demands a possession style of football where you open a team up slowly and take your time finding the gaps in defences, I just don't think Di Maria who is at his peak can adapt to it. Next year his value will be much lower than it is now, and i think if we got the right bid it would be best to part ways for both the club and his own sake.

Aside from the issue as to whether the player wants to leave, or if we're prepared to sell, I think this is a very fair point. It looked a problem for Di Maria in the latter part of the season though admittedly he was low on confidence.

Nani is like Rafael, every week he isn't here he gets better and better and people already forget how shit he was in his last months here. Even Di Maria this season was at least productive and had similiar numbers to Nani at his best. According to some people Nani is a goalscoring winger :lol:
I would call players like Ronaldo, Bale, Griezmann like that, Depay has the potential to be one of them, but Nani? He won't return and it's completely understandable why, some decent performances in Portugal doesn't change that.

He. Was. Not. Fit.

Do you understand?

When he is on form and at his best he won't lose the ball all the time and I think we need some risk takers in our team too, otherwise it will be just posession for the sake of it. I just can't agree that people think the league or anything is a problem. The main problem was Di Maria, he fecked things up, his form was shit and confidence low, he had enough chances to shine, but didn't use it. If he can return to his best next year, he will be great for us in the PL, he showed his class at least in the first month already.
I don't care about his value to be honest, I don't want us to pay every stupid fee, but I don't care if a player lose his value or if we make a loss on him. We shouldn't sign players with that in our minds, we should just sign quality and keep them as long as they can be great for us. We can sign the players we want without selling Di Maria and Angel in top form could be much more worth than getting big money from PSG.

He. Was. Not. Fit.

Do you understand?

And shit in pretty much all the games he played while producing feck all. That his injury record is not good either doesn't make it better. It's the same with Rafael, in 5 years time people will keep saying "Give him another year, when he is fit he will be brilliant." No he won't and I am glad that LvG is kind of ruthless when it comes to that.

When he is on form and at his best he won't lose the ball all the time

I'm not so sure about that, i just watched some game footage of him at Madrid last season and he really was sloppy with possession, many useless crosses etc.

I think we need some risk takers in our team too

I agree, but i'm not sure LvG agrees, there is also the difference between constantly trying to make something happen and intelligently move the ball around and suddently find the opportunity to lay a golden pass. I think for example Herrera's assist to Mata at Anfield was a good example of what we are trying to achieve reguarly.

Would like to think if we sold him, that we would spend the money on someone who actually fits, i just think LvG bottled it with this transfer to be frank.

That clarification actually worries me more, to be honest. As if Fellaini is under the impression that Di Maria does infact have a decision to make. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

That clarification actually worries me more, to be honest. As if Fellaini is under the impression that Di Maria does infact have a decision to make. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Nah, I think you're right.

Same here. Would have been far more reassuring if Fellaini laughed it off as a silly rumor. Something to the effect of "why would ADM want to leave?"

To be fair, would he be a big loss if he did leave? He's not gonna be playing in central midfield any time soon and where we do play him he's inconsistent at best. I'd not be opposed to selling him and bringing a real central midfielder or two in since we've already bought Depay.

To be fair, would he be a big loss if he did leave? He's not gonna be playing in central midfield any time soon and where we do play him he's inconsistent at best. I'd not be opposed to selling him and bringing a real central midfielder or two in since we've already bought Depay.

With Memphis Depay playing as an inverted winger on the left and a central midfield geared towards reliable possession his only place really would be on the right wing.

If he had the freedom to come infield and essentially play a free role out there I think he could be brilliant. It's down to whether or not he wants it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.