5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
A "Woodward" signing is a myth, Woodward in no way shape or form signs players without LvG's full consent and knowledge.

Mourinho also claims Shevchenko was a signing of his.

Louis van Gaal isn't Mourinho, he doesn't lie. If Woodward would've forced a signing onto him we would've heard about it. Van Gaal agreed to the loan so I don't see a problem.

Cool he's staying, here's to him settling and finding his form again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/angel-di-maria-rubbishes-man-5825785

I'd be happy if the quotes are true, shows he has some determination and character. He can definitely be one of our best players and hopefully he stays fit for us and can be an integral part of the team next season, him and Depay on wings in full swing is mouth watering.
Good lad. Idiots on here will have you believe that he can't wait to get out of Manchester, has poor attitude and various other bullshit

Probably alone here, but I don't put his early 'good' form down to playing in the middle. He was bound to have a few really good games at some stage during a 38 game season. They just happened to come at the initial period (mostly against dross), where, frankly, the whole team (a number of them being new) played with a degree of 'swagger' and zip.

I think too much is being made of his position, personally.

Are there any players of ours that you actually DO like?

Im glad to hear him saying he wants to stay and prove that he can do it here - makes me think he can. Would have been very weak of him to leave because he couldnt face the challenge.

The big question remains though: why is it taking so long to see results if lots of people at United seem confident ADM can still make it?

With Memphis Depay playing as an inverted winger on the left and a central midfield geared towards reliable possession his only place really would be on the right wing.

If he had the freedom to come infield and essentially play a free role out there I think he could be brilliant. It's down to whether or not he wants it though.

That was something I was thinking about during the season and I'm sure LVG thought about it as well. I think I saw him play on the right flank a few times. However for some reason, either it didn't work out enough to make a viable option or Di Maria doesn't want to play the Robben role on that right flank.

The big question remains though: why is it taking so long to see results if lots of people at United seem confident ADM can still make it?

That was something I was thinking about during the season and I'm sure LVG thought about it as well. I think I saw him play on the right flank a few times. However for some reason, either it didn't work out enough to make a viable option or Di Maria doesn't want to play the Robben role on that right flank.

It took him a year to adapt when he signed for Madrid and he played a lot on the right wing under Mourinho. Di Maria is good there but like you said he needs a free role which is generally the case for Van gaal's wingers.

Personally I think he was the perfect example of Post world cup itis. All that mixed with a move to another league/culture all took it's toll. I for one am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Can't wait for next season now.

If we can have the Di Maria back of the start of the season, we will be off to a great start. I do think maybe LVG shackling him made him start second guessing himself, but hopefully he will allow him to play a role where he can attack and dribble freely without worrying too much.

Personally I think he was the perfect example of Post world cup itis. All that mixed with a move to another league/culture all took it's toll. I for one am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Can't wait for next season now.
I think more and more that was an issue for a lot of our players, be it form wise or injuries

It's annoying that he has this Copa America on now. The Final is on the 4th of July, and there's a huge chance Argentina will be there for that.

Season starts on the 8th of August so that only gives him about a month until the next competitive match. We (hopefully/should) give him at least 2 or even 3 weeks off after the Copa America. Still a good chance he'll be burnt out. I expect the start of next season being filled with cameo roles for him again.

It's annoying that he has this Copa America on now. The Final is on the 4th of July, and there's a huge chance Argentina will be there for that.

Season starts on the 8th of August so that only gives him about a month until the next competitive match. We (hopefully/should) give him at least 2 or even 3 weeks off after the Copa America. Still a good chance he'll be burnt out. I expect the start of next season being filled with cameo roles for him again.

The most important thing for di Maria will be to regain his confidence and playing for his country - especially with Messi in the form he's in - should be the perfect way to do that.

Are there any players of ours that you actually DO like?

Im glad to hear him saying he wants to stay and prove that he can do it here - makes me think he can. Would have been very weak of him to leave because he couldnt face the challenge.
Absolutely nothing there implies I don't like him. I just think the talk about positions is a cop out.
For the record, I think Carrick, Herrera, de Gea, Depay (early days) are brilliant.

Di Maria will get better. To be fair, he'd probably have to play badly purposely in order to not do better this season.

Last edited:
He's right it is a harder league. We all know Messi plays in a pussy league. Tap him up Angel.

He will need less of a pre season due to him having played in the Copa America, plus it's not like we had him playing every game for 90 minutes towards the end of the season. It will do him some good to get some confidence back.

If we can have the Di Maria back of the start of the season, we will be off to a great start. I do think maybe LVG shackling him made him start second guessing himself, but hopefully he will allow him to play a role where he can attack and dribble freely without worrying too much.
I really don't think he was being shackled at all. Well, he was doing the exact opposite: taking needless shots, being careless in possession in our own half, etc.

But his body language!!
The caf body language experts are just something else

Probably alone here, but I don't put his early 'good' form down to playing in the middle. He was bound to have a few really good games at some stage during a 38 game season. They just happened to come at the initial period (mostly against dross), where, frankly, the whole team (a number of them being new) played with a degree of 'swagger' and zip.

I think too much is being made of his position, personally.
I think it's more to do with confidence personally, he was full of confidence last season for madrid and the start of this, and that slowly went away the more we struggled and then he started struggling on a personal level.

Fecking hell, 13 assists is not too shabby. Imagine what he'll be like when more settled and used to the league next season :drool:

Fecking hell, 13 assists is not too shabby. Imagine what he'll be like when more settled and used to the league next season :drool:
Imagine a full season of his early season form :drool:

Hope we get to see more of him in that left midfield role.

Careful posting comments like that. Chris Brunt managed 10 assists, too. Therefore, assists have lost their legitimacy.

I thought he hates being at United and desperately wants out..
To be fair, i thought that at times last season, his body language was not good.

I'm glad he wants to stay though (if this is true) and it would be a complete waste to get rid of someone of his quality after one dodgy season (a dodgy season where he got the 3rd most assists in the league).

To be fair, i thought that at times last season, his body language was not good.

I'm glad he wants to stay though (if this is true) and it would be a complete waste to get rid of someone of his quality after one dodgy season (a dodgy season where he got the 3rd most assists in the league).

Hes had a poor season, I fully expect his body language to not be good, sitting on the bench for Young. Thats a good thing, if he was happy as larry in that situation I'd be worried.

Hes had a poor season, I fully expect his body language to not be good, sitting on the bench for Young. Thats a good thing, if he was happy as larry in that situation I'd be worried.

Exactly. Although there did seem to a big difference in his work-rate in the earlier vs later part of the season. All well and good a player being unhappy/frustrated but if that translates into not putting enough effort in then we've got a real problem.

Re the latest comments, they don't leave us any the wiser. Standard media-trained response to some difficult questions. I was much more encouraged by earlier comments of his which were a bit more detailed about his unhappiness with his form and his desire to set things right next season. Just a pain in the arse that he's off to the Copa. A decent holiday, followed by a full pre-season with Van Gaal is exactly what he needs for next season. One of those occasions where an international tournament couldn't come at a worse time.

Happy he's staying, really hope he has a great tourny and comes back full of confidence, we all know what he's capable of it'd be very nice if he could replicate that when he's in a United shirt.

I find that Di Maria is very underwhelming on that left wing. I think he's better as a CM or a right winger.

Good to hear he's staying.

It's quite amazing how Di Maria and Bale both struggled last season at their respective clubs. Two superstars that have proven their quality time and time again in the past and there's speculation regarding both of them leaving after a season or two in Bales case. It's just strange when you think about it. Maybe next season we'll see a complete reverse.

“Now I will play the Copa America and then I will move back to Manchester for next season and do my best there.”
That's it? One sentence and now he's staying?
I still feel he's very close to leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.