5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth would they swap Verrati? aren't they trying to.. you know... IMPROVE their team by signing ADM on top of what they have?

It wouldn't surprise me if he does leave, but it'll take more than Richard Keys and a beIN sports 'source' to convince me it's in the works.

If it is to happen, get it over and done with. If not let's hope he can come into his own next season and put in the performances we know he can.

In all my years of supporting United I can't recall any time we've signed a top quality player in their prime and then sold them a season later. We broke the British transfer record on Di Maria, yes overall it was a disappointing season for him but he showed at the start what he could do and we would be very silly to sell him when we all know next season he will more than likely find his form.

I highly doubt he will ask to leave when he has so much left to prove and hopefully win here with us. The only way we would entertain selling him is if we were somehow signing Bale or Ronaldo and that ain't happening I'm afraid.

Unless someone offers us something stupid i cannot see us selling him.

Hes been average this season (after a good opening spell) but i would rather see what he can do next season than cutting our losses this early on.

Our stance with him has been strange. Obviously we can't let him leave! What the hell would Ronaldo think!?

Not really a question of replacing him in the normal sense, is it?

He's hardly been a fixture, nor has he established himself in any sense as part and parcel of LVG's system.

If we wanted to, we could let him go without “replacing” him, as this wouldn't amount to anything more than going for roughly the set-up we used when looking – clearly – sharpest in that run of matches before Carrick got injured.

He's not had a chance to properly prove himself, though. That's the issue. He's a very good player. Far too good to be let go just because he's had a bit of a rubbish season. If there are problems, if he doesn't really want to stay – well, that's different. But if he's committed and willing to fight for a place in our XI, then for God's sake keep him. He's got more football in him than most of our current players, so if LVG can use him at all, he should keep him.

He's hardly been a fixture, nor has he established himself in any sense as part and parcel of LVG's system.

If we wanted to, we could let him go without “replacing” him, as this wouldn't amount to anything more than going for roughly the set-up we used when looking – clearly – sharpest in that run of matches before Carrick got injured.

He's not had a chance to properly prove himself, though. That's the issue. He's a very good player. Far too good to be let go just because he's had a bit of a rubbish season. If there are problems, if he doesn't really want to stay – well, that's different. But if he's committed and willing to fight for a place in our XI, then for God's sake keep him. He's got more football in him than most of our current players, so if LVG can use him at all, he should keep him.
It would in the sense that we felt we needed someone who could twist defenders inside out by running at them and given we lack that in the squad we would need to replace find another one who can do that.

Probably a lot easier just getting him back to him former level. If he wants to play for this club, he should be able to do that next season.

Wait so rumours only exist if a player wants to leave? They don't call it silly season for no reason!

There is no smoke without fire, rumours are constant in the game irrespective of a players desire to stay or to leave, Herrera to Bayern is a prime example, -it didnt last, Di Maria has been linked with a move to PSG since last May, this is definitely not your average rumour, when you combine that with his personal troubles and his average performances, it shouldn't surprise anyone that he might want to go to his preferred destination.

He cost us £60m,he was given the #7 shirt, he is the most expensive signing in premier league history, Great season or not Di Maria should definitely not be linked with a move out of United,the only transfer related news about Di Maria this summer should be a clear warning from United to suitors (PSG)as he is not for sale, he should be nursing an injury and preparing for Copa America but that is not the case now is it?
How many record/important signings have been linked with moves out of their clubs as early as december? average season or not, this shouldn't even be an issue, this transfer has been strange right from the start, how many managers have had to address the media regarding their record signings in February?

Herrera,Rojo,Blind,Fabregas,Sanchez,Costa,Mangala,Fernando - these were top signings(foreign) for the top teams in England, how many of them have been linked with moves out of their respective clubs all season long?

The logical thing to do would be to keep him, i think every single person on here would agree with this decision, but if it was that easy and if it was up to the club then it would really be a non-issue, when somethings persists like this - you have to begin to suspect the player, United is not a selling club.

It would in the sense that we felt we needed someone who could twist defenders inside out by running at them and given we lack that in the squad we would need to replace find another one who can do that.

We've got Depay now, though. What you describe there is – at least ideally – his game.

@Chesterlestreet I suppose that we will need to replace him numerically with a player who meets our expectations.

Aye, but in terms of what?

What do we expect from Di Maria? That he becomes our true offensive driving force? At the highest level? If so, it won't be easy to replace him. His potential is higher than most players' as it stands. It might be wiser to give him another chance to grab that role and become our Messi light, or whatever you want to call it.

If, however, we just expect him to be a decent alternative in some positions across the midfield/attack, then we can easily replace him. Or, rather, we don't have to - we already have players who can fill that "role".

Aye, but in terms of what?

What do we expect from Di Maria? That he becomes our true offensive driving force? At the highest level? If so, it won't be easy to replace him. His potential is higher than most players' as it stands. It might be wiser to give him another chance to grab that role and become our Messi light, or whatever you want to call it.

If, however, we just expect him to be a decent alternative in some positions across the midfield/attack, then we can easily replace him. Or, rather, we don't have to - we already have players who can fill that "role".

Well, if we sell him it will be because he wants to go, otherwise there is no reason to sell. And if he wants to go, I would accept 50m at the condition that we can replace him for that amount.

If a player does not want to play for the club you are free to go. Cant carry the 'i am not sure where i want to be in my career at this point' players in the LVG era. You are either fully committed or you walk through the honourable exit at Old Trafford. There is only 1 football career in sight, so choose wisely.

Last edited:
Keys is about as connected as a kibbutz, but if it was true and PSG want him then you ask for Verratti to be included in any deal.

We've got Depay now, though. What you describe there is – at least ideally – his game.
He's 20 though. We signed Di Maria because he' was already a top player when we got him. And depay's supposed to be more about goals than Di Maria who is primarily a creator. Anyway this is all conjecture anyway. God knows what lvg's plans are.

Why would he want to play for a small club? If we did do a deal with PSG, they should pay us more then we paid or maybe they have players we want that would help the team. Only time will tell.

This I have my doubts about. Mentally he's not coped and its dented his confidence on the pitch. Now, its about whether he has that determination to get over that barrier and adapt to the team ahead and hopefully it with United.

Depends on who is available. Most likely I wouldn't. I don't know how many available dribbling midfielders are available right now. I doubt many.

Does LVG have any intention of using him in midfield? That's the decisive thing for me. I can only seem him being used on the wing under LVG, in which case I'd happily take 50m for him.

Didn't we hear him say how he wanted to stay and fight for his place, earlier this month? Moreover, Rojo spoke about how he and di Maria have been taking English lessons, would be pointless, for Angel, if he were planning on leaving. Selling him would very, very stupid as this is a player who's proven himself at the highest level and is at the peak of his powers.

Pretty sure beIN sports reported that he had signed for PSG, last summer, too. But yeah, rumours are true 99% of time, so I guess he's off.

Does LVG have any intention of using him in midfield? That's the decisive thing for me. I can only seem him being used on the wing under LVG, in which case I'd happily take 50m for him.

I doubt we'll see him in midfield often next season, probably as winger. LvG said he didn't have a worldclass winger like Ronaldo or Di Maria before he bought him and Di Maria's skillset doesn't match a van Gaal midfielder profile as much as a winger. He'd be mostly passing and not dribbling/crossing. On the wing he'll have more freedom to be of influence. Di Maria on the right and Memphis on the left is my guess.

So I don't even think van Gaal bought him as midfielder and therefore won't judge him based on that. He's multifunctional and van Gaal tried him there but he didn't really play well.

Watching Sanchez tear Villa apart in the FA Cup final, then realising many of us thought at the beginning of the season (myself included) that ADM was the better signing. This makes me sad. :(

This I have my doubts about. Mentally he's not coped and its dented his confidence on the pitch. Now, its about whether he has that determination to get over that barrier and adapt to the team ahead and hopefully it with United.

This is what it hinges on for me. If he's got the heart to fight then keep him for sure. Plenty of players have taken a year to settle in a foreign league before now and come good.

If he wants out that's a problem and a different story. I'd consider selling but only for the right deal, certainly not a year's loan somewhere.

Watching Sanchez tear Villa apart in the FA Cup final, then realising many of us thought at the beginning of the season (myself included) that ADM was the better signing. This makes me sad. :(

Huge difference, though. One plays for a team that's dysfunctional and unable to orchestrate a proper attack, whereas, the other is playing for a team that's the complete opposite. It's quite hard to stand out and shine in a team like ours where most of our players have been well below par for the entirety of the season.

Sanchez joined a side that is settled, that has been together for years. They've also got the same manager they've had for many years and also play to his strengths.

Angel joined a team in transition, a side that the season before had an awful season. Another new manager, the second in twelve months. A whole host of new players, not to mention the personal troubles he has had since coming here (injuries and having his family home broke in to).

Both players are top quality, Arsenal and their style of their play have given Alexis the chance to shine, we have been trying to find a way in which to fit Angel in to the side all season. I have no doubts if he stays (which I hope he does, one bad season doesn't make him a bad player and I think a lot on here have been to quick to write him off) he'll shine next season if we can keep a settled side.

Why would he want to play for a small club? If we did do a deal with PSG, they should pay us more then we paid or maybe they have players we want that would help the team. Only time will tell.

Do not understand this post.

Why would PSG expect to pay more for a player who's stock is basement level (Coming off an awful.. awful season & unhappy off the pitch) compared to when we purchased him? (Integral to Reals CL win, best personal season to date, settled in Madrid)

Also the PSG smaller club point.. umm what footballer actually gives a shit about this in reality? Do you think Aguero loses sleep currently over his choice to play for Man City over 5x CL winners Liverpool? PSG have a better team currently than we do and would be expected to progress further than we do in the CL next season.

Not to mention money, better place to live and a happy wife off the field.

I doubt we'll see him in midfield often next season, probably as winger. LvG said he didn't have a worldclass winger like Ronaldo or Di Maria before he bought him and Di Maria's skillset doesn't match a van Gaal midfielder profile as much as a winger. He'd be mostly passing and not dribbling/crossing. On the wing he'll have more freedom to be of influence. Di Maria on the right and Memphis on the left is my guess.

So I don't even think van Gaal bought him as midfielder and therefore won't judge him based on that. He's multifunctional and van Gaal tried him there but he didn't really play well.

I agree. Do you think LVG would consider switching to a 4231 with Depay, Mata and Di Maria ahead of two deeper mids? And would he be willing to play with Herrera as one of the two deeper DMs? I'm sceptical because he didn't do so this season, but maybe he would go for it if we bought in a DM like Schneiderlin who is defensively solid and more mobile than Carrick..

What currency is that? You know what, doesn't matter. I would.
Pounds, I guess it would have to do with how bad he wants to succeed here and be a world beater with us. If he is easily persuaded by psg, and we don't have his full commitment to give everything, I'd sell him and buy players that rather give their all

Status
Not open for further replies.