Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's blatantly obvious that we are currently top-heavy. We have plenty of wingers, strikers (including too many number 10's), yet on our opening game of the season we had two academy players in our starting 11 in defensive positions. It's plain to see that we need a centre back, left back/wing back and a defensive midfielder. The only reason why we are struggling to go forward is because we can't build possession from the back, or defend.

Keepers
(2 + 2)
De Gea
Lindegaard
Amos
Johnstone

Defenders (10 + 2)
Rafael
Shaw
Jones
Smalling
Evans
Valencia
Keane
James
Blackett
Young
Varela
Vermijl

Midfielders (5)
Carrick
Cleverley
Fletcher
Fellaini
Anderson

Attacking players (4+2)
Kagawa
Mata
Nani
Januzaj
Lingard
Zaha

Strikers (4 + 3)
Hernandez
Rooney
Welbeck
RVP
Lawrence
Keane
Wilson

Hence why I don't think we need defenders, we need to replace Young and Valencia as full backs, strikers are only heavy due to 3 reserves coming through, out of the attacking players, Zaha & Lingard won't expect to be ever present and I'd replace Anderson as well.

Even Arsenal have shown that they are more likely to complete this sort of signing than us now.

Luckily they are stocked there, otherwise they'd probably just come in and pay the money and be done with it.

Keepers (2 + 2)
De Gea
Lindegaard
Amos
Johnstone

Defenders (10 + 2)
Rafael
Shaw
Jones
Smalling
Evans
Valencia
Keane
James
Blackett
Young
Varela
Vermijl

Midfielders (5)
Carrick
Cleverley
Fletcher
Fellaini
Anderson

Attacking players (4+2)
Kagawa
Mata
Nani
Januzaj
Lingard
Zaha

Strikers (4 + 3)
Hernandez
Rooney
Welbeck
RVP
Lawrence
Keane
Wilson

Hence why I don't think we need defenders, we need to replace Young and Valencia as full backs, strikers are only heavy due to 3 reserves coming through, out of the attacking players, Zaha & Lingard won't expect to be ever present and I'd replace Anderson as well.

Its not about numbers its about quality

He specifically said we have too many no10s and strikers, not enough quality wide attackers like Ronaldo or Di Maria but we're not in for him....

Don't get me wrong I would take Di Maria of course, but I think our defensive problems are greater than our offensive problems and I don't see us being in for Di Maria AND Vidal with Hummels for example.

Even Arsenal have shown that they are more likely to complete this sort of signing than us now.
We have signed Herrera/ Shaw quite recently, were they have signed Sanchez, prior to that, they signed Ozil when we signed Mata, and that was after we bought another captain of theirs in RVP, I'm not jealous of Arsenal, nor have they shown they are MORE likely to complete this signing than us.

Would a midfield of Maria, Herrera and Mata work? I just can't see us signing a CM should we get this guy and with how LvG has set his stall out I believe we'll be sticking with the 3-5-2 formation.
No. Imo he only worked in that position last season because the midfield of him Alonso and Modrić was very balanced. Herrera could do the Alonso role imo but Mata is no Modrić. We would be short. Vidal-Herrera-Di Maria or even Carrick-Herrera-Di Maria would be far more suitable. I'd guess with that kind of midfield three we could play a narrow(ish) front three of Mata just behind RvP and Rooney with Januzaj and Welbeck being good options in the front three.

Don't get me wrong I would take Di Maria of course, but I think our defensive problems are greater than our offensive problems and I don't see us being in for Di Maria AND Vidal with Hummels for example.

We're signing Rojo and hopefully another CB (most certainly not Hummels) thats sorts the defence.

You underestimate our offensive problems. Forward line of RVP Rooney & Mata lacks pace which has been our major issue, unless we get pace out wide to provide quality service we're in the shit going forward against the top sides.

We have signed Herrera/ Shaw quite recently, were they have signed Sanchez, prior to that, they signed Ozil when we signed Mata, and that was after we bought another captain of theirs in RVP, I'm not jealous of Arsenal, nor have they shown they are MORE likely to complete this signing than us.

Herrera and Shaw are not Ozil or Di Maria. And by virtue of the fact we signed RVP from them, shows that they did it first anyway!

Di Maria is the same profile of their two big recent signings. They have bought big money players from both Real and Barca, players who were admittedly on the fringes, although still very involved in the squad. There were also other teams in for Sanchez, like Liverpool and allegedly us.

We signed Mata with no challenge it seems.

Herrera and Shaw are not Ozil or Di Maria. And by virtue of the fact we signed RVP from them, shows that they did it first anyway!

Di Maria is the same profile of their two big recent signings. They have bought big money players from both Real and Barca, players who were admittedly on the fringes, although still very involved in the squad. There were also other teams in for Sanchez, like Liverpool and allegedly us.

Di Maria to Arsenal won't happen. Wenger didn't want Fabregas because they are well stocked in CM and they would need Di Maria even less.

I think it's over. We had a chance when PSG couldn't figure out a way to acquire him, but seems like they'll find a way eventually. Well done Dithering Woodward.

Any opposition for Ozil is conjecture and not proved, Herrera or Shaw aren't Ozil or Di Maria? Well, lets remove ADM as Arsenal haven't bought him, but I'd rate buying Shaw/Herrera as on the same level as Ozil, perhaps Ozil was the btter player, but he wasn't prioritised by the club and personally wanted a move to someone who showed him a bit more time/attention than most. Despite what you think of them, a deal for Shaw or Herrera represents as much of a forward step, a multi million teenage wingback and a club notorious for not selling players, and the RVP point isn't valid either though, as when they bought him, he was a young winger who was hardly sought after, but I'm sure you knew that and while I agree Arsenal are being more competitive recently, they still aren't more likely to complete a top signing than us.

I think it's over. We had a chance when PSG couldn't figure out a way to acquire him, but seems like they'll find a way eventually. Well done Dithering Woodward.

I don't think he really wanted to come here. It seems he wants CL football, otherwise I don't even think he would consider PSG over us.

We're a back-up option.

I don't think he really wanted to come here. It seems he wants to CL football, otherwise I don't even think he would consider PSG over us.

We're a back-up option.
That's what I think too. The alleged Rojo-friendship could change that though, which encourages my belief in us signing him.

I don't think Di Maria is the player we need the most

• We need to reinforce our defensive basis first with defenders (Benatia or Hummels will be perfect with Rojo added) and we need a top top top central midfielder like Arturo Vidal more than a winger who will play out of position as a Left Wing Back when we spend already 30M on Luke Shaw
  • We are nurturing one of the best young player of Europe in Adnan Januzaj and this lad can flourish this year in a appropriate system. I think that bringing Di Maria will be a blow for Januzaj progression
  • Then in the 4-3-3 that Van Gaal will implement once he'll have his players I think the left side with Januzaj and Shaw will be just terrific, so bringing a top top top player in Di Maria wouldn't be great

I don't think Di Maria is the player we need the most

• We need to reinforce our defensive basis first with defenders (Benatia or Hummels will be perfect with Rojo added) and we need a top top top central midfielder like Arturo Vidal more than a winger who will play out of position as a Left Wing Back when we spend already 30M on Luke Shaw
  • We are nurturing one of the best young player of Europe in Adnan Januzaj and this lad can flourish this year in a appropriate system. I think that bringing Di Maria will be a blow for Januzaj progression
  • Then in the 4-3-3 that Van Gaal will implement once he'll have his players I think the left side with Januzaj and Shaw will be just terrific, so bringing a top top top player in Di Maria wouldn't be great
Should we bring in Di Maria I hope we'll switch to a 4-2-3-1, of course a defensive-midfielder and a centre-back are more important, but I don't think it's a luxury signing, we clearly need a quality winger since Valencia, Nani and Young aren't really quality (anymore). I reckon Januzaj will still play on the other wing if we sign Di Maria. The only worrying thing would be if Di Maria + Rooney/RVP start upfront and one of Rooney/RVP plus Januzaj sit on the bench IMO.

We're signing Rojo and hopefully another CB (most certainly not Hummels) thats sorts the defence.

You underestimate our offensive problems. Forward line of RVP Rooney & Mata lacks pace which has been our major issue, unless we get pace out wide to provide quality service we're in the shit going forward against the top sides.

I think you underestimate our defensive problems. We need a defensive midfielder, badly. If it was Di Maria or Vidal I would take Vidal all the way.

I think you underestimate our defensive problems. We need a defensive midfielder, badly. If it was Di Maria or Vidal I would take Vidal all the way.

I know we do, but this lad is not a defensive mid...

I don't think he really wanted to come here. It seems he wants CL football, otherwise I don't even think he would consider PSG over us.

We're a back-up option.

He wants better wages and to be appreciated. If Woodward would've moved heaven and earth, after PSG announced they can't afford him because of FFP, I strongly think he'd be a United player by now.

The problem with Di Maria is that there simply is no plan B for him. There isn't any other player available like him. His versatility and class would've been a huge boost for our starting 11.

I'd rather Di Maria than either a CB or CM, as long as we go 4-2-3-1 or some variation.

With 4 at the back we just about have enough quality. Herrera will provide us with what we need in midfield. Fletcher/Carrick as long as they're role is just to keep things ticking will be fine.

Januzaj and Di Mara on the wings with Mata and RvP/Rooney would be excellent.

Alternatively we need a few signings to make 3-5-2 work imo.

This would be a really good midfield in fairness once Michael gets fit :

-------Di Maria-------------------Herrera-------

---------------------Carrick--------------------

Very similar to Madrid's from last season :

-------Di Maria--------------------Modric-------

---------------------Alonso---------------------

Carrick could easily do the Alonso role for one season. Alonso is immobile but his main strengths are passing range and defensive awareness. Perfect. Carrick is almost the exact same kind of player. He could also groom Herrera is the position. Ander would be really good is that role and also a bit more dynamic. He has to improve his concentration and passing a bit but Van Gaal could easily mold him in a Guardiola role. Or we could get a withdrawn playmaking midfielder like Koke or Strootman next season to ease Carrick's burden and let Herrera continue in the 8.

Someone like Pjanic, Oliver or Kovacic could be bought for the Modric role if Ander become our 6 making United's midfield one of the best in Europe within the space of 1 season. :D

I'd be happy with Di Maria as he's a quality player, as long as we get a defender and another midfielder first as I think the latter are a higher priority. I'm still convinced we'll be getting Di Maria either to be perfectly honest.

If we were to get Di Maria wouldn't that require a change from 3-5-2 we've been using? Seems like a waste of preseason to change the system after putting in so much work.

I'd be happy with Di Maria as he's a quality player, as long as we get a defender and another midfielder first as I think the latter are a higher priority. I'm still convinced we'll be getting Di Maria either to be perfectly honest.

If we were to get Di Maria wouldn't that require a change from 3-5-2 we've been using? Seems like a waste of preseason to change the system after putting in so much work.
Could he not play as wing back? He's got the work rate to get back and defend when needed as well dazzle us with his attacking play.

I'm pretty sure van Gaal is interested, he even mentioned him and Ronaldo as the sort of wingers we'd need to play 433 effectively. We won't spend €50m on him though and Woodward does not have enough time to complete the deal. He looked set to stay at Real Madrid after excellent season but only became available after they signed Rodriguez mid-July at which point I reckon it was too late for Woodward to sign him in this window.

Both Oliver Kay and Ian Ladyman reporting that United are unsure if Di Maria is willing to move here without CL football.

di Maria is most definitely the player we need. We have no pace in attack. Our only half decent player on the wings is a 19 year old world class prospect, it's not enough.

Both Oliver Kay and Ian Ladyman reporting that United are unsure if Di Maria is willing to move here without CL football.

I find it amazing that as a club we wouldn't know this answer by now.

'Angel, you fancy moving to United?'

'nah, I want CL football'

'Ah ok, good luck'

Next target.

I find it amazing that as a club we wouldn't know this answer by now.

'Angel, you fancy moving to United?'

'nah, I want CL football'

'Ah ok, good luck'

Next target.

I'll post what Kay said in the Times, "it remains to be seen whether Di María would be willing to move to Old Trafford with no prospect of European football this season"

Well ask him, put a bid, do something ffs.

When has this club become so timid..

I bet he's waiting for us to make a move and we're monitoring the situation still.

I'm pretty sure van Gaal is interested, he even mentioned him and Ronaldo as the sort of wingers we'd need to play 433 effectively. We won't spend €50m on him though and Woodward does not have enough time to complete the deal. He looked set to stay at Real Madrid after excellent season but only became available after they signed Rodriguez mid-July at which point I reckon it was too late for Woodward to sign him in this window.

But...but... We only need 24 hours to make a signing.

I'll post what Kay said in the Times, "it remains to be seen whether Di María would be willing to move to Old Trafford with no prospect of European football this season"

With less than 2 weeks to the end of the window, this is frankly an embarrassment from us.

Just conjecture on his part. He doesnt know. Also 'no prospect of european football' bugs me - prospect implies the chance of it occurring, there is no chance, its a fact.

Jamie Jackson did a shit report like this the other day. Wouldnt it be nice to have reports who can actually write about football rather than gossip. 'No transfer news?', write a post about this seasons tactics.

Just conjecture on his part. He doesnt know. Also 'no prospect of european football' bugs me - prospect implies the chance of it occurring, there is no chance, its a fact.

Jamie Jackson did a shit report like this the other day. Wouldnt it be nice to have reports who can actually write about football rather than gossip. 'No transfer news?', write a post about this seasons tactics.

I'm gonna disagree here, Kay is reliable, doubt he would run this story without a good source.

Could he not play as wing back? He's got the work rate to get back and defend when needed as well dazzle us with his attacking play.

It needs more than a willingness to run, you need to be able to defend as a wingback. That's not Di Maria's qualities really.

Di Maria can stay with Madrid - he has allies, Ancelotti has been getting support. It hasn't turned into a new wage offer yet, but it could.

If PSG sell or Madrid decide to let the loan deal go through, then he has that option.

Then he has us and we aren't bidding the kind of figures (to Madrid) that PSG can offer. Us + CL, he might not only willing, he could be campaigning for a move - which would make it easy for Perez to override Ancelotti. Us and no CL is a much tougher equation and you can't blame him for wanting to keep his options open.

Coming to us right now requires money and faith.

Just a bit silly this one, we don't need him this season, would be similar to the Mata signing, a statement but not really improving the areas that we need to improve, added to that PSG will get him, and more than likely he prefers them.

We need a top midfielder, and a top CB, with Rojo as a sort of wild card signing, is really that difficult!

Status
Not open for further replies.