Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Di Maria agree's loan move to PSG

Paris Saint-Germain have beaten Manchester United to agree a deal in principle with Real Madrid over a loan deal for Angel di Maria, but must sell Ezequiel Lavezzi before the wing wizard can sign on the dotted line.

That is according to French publication L'Equipe, who believe PSG have finally reached an agreement which allow them to sign the Argentine star permanently for a fee of €65m next summer if he impresses at the Parc des Princes.

Di Maria had been identified by Man United chiefs as a proven commodity at the highest level who was capable of helping the Red Devils earn an instant return to the Champions League, but PSG are a successful side already in the competition and expect to win this transfer tussle before the window slams shut on September 1.

FFP holds up the deal

Despite finding a compromise with Madrid over an initial loan switch PSG will be forced to wait before getting a loan deal for Di Maria signed and sealed, because of the lingering threat of further sanctions from UEFA over Financial Fair Play.

PSG are restricted a net transfer spend of €50m in this transfer window and spent almost exactly the amount on Brazilian defender David Luiz, without any significant departures.

Ivory Coast international Serge Aurier was signed on loan earlier this summer to negate the need to worry about an overspend, but a frustrating delay in finding a suitor for Lavezzi means the Di Maria deal remains tentatively agreed rather than confirmed at this stage.

Man United suffer yet another transfer blow

News of a breakthrough in talks between Madrid and PSG will come as a huge blow to Manchester United, who have chased top midfielders across the continent for much of the summer without managing to land any of their top targets.

Red Devils were within their rights to expect the signings of Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw to be followed up by marquee additions before the start of the season, but lofty asking prices for the likes of Di Maria and Arturo Vidal have held up United's bid to make much-needed additions in key positions.

United will now almost certainly be forced to look elsewhere and are running out time to add any quality to a squad that must earn a return to the Champions League as a minimum requirement this season, with executive vice-president Ed Woodward now under huge pressure to explain why the Red Devils have failed to land their number one transfer target yet again.

Link- http://www.givemesport.com/496042-angel-di-maria-agrees-loan-move-to-paris-saintgermain?autoplay=on

Di Maria can stay with Madrid - he has allies, Ancelotti has been getting support. It hasn't turned into a new wage offer yet, but it could.

If PSG sell or Madrid decide to let the loan deal go through, then he has that option.

Then he has us and we aren't bidding the kind of figures (to Madrid) that PSG can offer. Us + CL, he might not only willing, he could be campaigning for a move - which would make it easy for Perez to override Ancelotti. Us and no CL is a much tougher equation and you can't blame him for wanting to keep his options open.

Coming to us right now requires money and faith.

I can see Madrid forcing him out though. 1) Perez won't want disturbances and speculation to Rodriguez each week and then they want to create space and money for a move for Falcao.

Herrera and Shaw are not Ozil or Di Maria. And by virtue of the fact we signed RVP from them, shows that they did it first anyway!

Di Maria is the same profile of their two big recent signings. They have bought big money players from both Real and Barca, players who were admittedly on the fringes, although still very involved in the squad. There were also other teams in for Sanchez, like Liverpool and allegedly us.

We signed Mata with no challenge it seems.
They signed two players that were for sale at their clubs. There was no competition for Özil. By all accounts Liverpool were the only major rivals for Sanchez, not the calibre of PSG, and not the same calibre of player as Di Maria either. And I don't get your RVP point, are you suggesting signing him at 20 was the same as the others you've mentioned?

:lol: I am being genuinly serious when I say this, none of them would make it into any of last year's top 8 teams.

Yet 2 of them were starters for the team that Ran away with the league and probably should have been in the CL semi's barring one decision just a season prior.

From Ian Ladyman:

Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward still hopes to conclude a deal for Sporting Lisbon central defender Marcos Rojo, while United hope that Angel di Maria can be tempted from Real Madrid despite the fact they cannot offer him European football. They are also talking to Ajax about Holland utility man Daley Blind.

Woodward is now facing the tricky obstacle of a lack of Champions League football as he tries to lure the really big stars to Manchester.

Woodward has said he is confident that the history, size and tradition of United will prove enough when it comes to attracting new players.

However, the case of Di Maria throws that into doubt. The Argentina winger knows Real need to raise money through sales and also that he may not command a first-team place at the Bernabeu this season.

Di Maria has told friends that United’s weekly wage offer is the highest he has received from any club, yet he is unsure about whether to join a club that has no place in the only European competition that really matters to the truly stellar names these days.

Di Maria can stay with Madrid - he has allies, Ancelotti has been getting support. It hasn't turned into a new wage offer yet, but it could.

If PSG sell or Madrid decide to let the loan deal go through, then he has that option.

Then he has us and we aren't bidding the kind of figures (to Madrid) that PSG can offer. Us + CL, he might not only willing, he could be campaigning for a move - which would make it easy for Perez to override Ancelotti. Us and no CL is a much tougher equation and you can't blame him for wanting to keep his options open.

Coming to us right now requires money and faith.

What are the press saying in Spain?

None of them at current state would make it into any of last year's top 8 teams.

I think that's bit overstating it based on last season. Especially in relation to Carrick.

Cleverley and Fellaini in his Everton late role is debateable as well. As for Fletcher no one knows what his level after the condition will be so yeah it's right about him.

Yet 2 of them were starters for the team that Ran away with the league and probably should have been in the CL semi's barring one decision just a season prior.

United have always been renowned for having a greater sum than the individuals combined. Individually, they're all shit.

Can't help but notice how all these Di Maria stories came out after LVG said he was a top winger... Let's be honest, the English press doesn't know shit.

I think that's bit overstating it based on last season. Especially in relation to Carrick.

Cleverley and Fellaini in his Everton late role is debateable as well. As for Fletcher no one knows what his level after the condition will be so yeah it's right about him.
The only debate is about Carrick, because we don't know how good he'll be this season after inury. But Cleverley, Fellaini and Fletcher are sub standard. Fellaini's Everton role doesn't matter, it's about the current state and how he wouldn't get into the starting eleven of the teams who finished Top 8.

The following players are all better than the 3 mentioned IMO:
Manchester City: Fernandinho, Toure
Liverpool: Gerrard, Henderson
Chelsea: Matic, Fabregas
Arsenal: Wilshere, Ramsey
Everton: Barry, McCarthy
Tottenham: Paulinho, Dembele
Southampton: Schneiderlin, Wanyama

Our only hope is that Carrick comes back very strong and then stays injury-free in a midfield-two with him and Herrera, if we don't buy someone who's actually capable of defending in the middle. Cleverley is more of an AM than a DM, Scholes himself stated that. Fletcher was always a box-to-box midfielder, not very disciplined in defence and Fellaini played most games at AM at his former club, so a lot of patience is needed to form him into the DM we need.

Don't even know why we are discussing this in the Di Maria thread, but I'd rather we buy players who actually play the position we need and are no top drawer signing for most of the people, like Rojo and Blind, than players we don't really need, like Mata, as much as I like him. LVG himself said it all the time, it's about the team, not the individuals, so we need players who can actually perform the role we need. Di Maria would be excellent of course, but not as important as a DM or a CB, especially if we stay at 3-4-1-2.

The only debate is about Carrick, because we don't know how good he'll be this season after inury. But Cleverley, Fellaini and Fletcher are sub standard. Fellaini's Everton role doesn't matter, it's about the current state and how he wouldn't get into the starting eleven of the teams who finished Top 8.

Since you are basing this post on last season basically then Wanyama, Dembele certainly weren't better. Dembele has gotten bit rubbish infact and was rightly dropped for Fellaini during the WC. Paulinho was pretty meh as well. And Wilshere has gone nowhere so far and doesn't even start for Arsenal as of now despite huge potential. Fernandinho and Matic, Barry are debateable as well though they were better last season.

Barry was ridiculed last summer and even Everton fans didn't really want him. It's the system and playing in a organized and confident team that has rejuvenated him and gotten him a 3 year deal. Carrick was amongst the best midfielders in the league just a season prior if not the best. LVG seemed really down about his injury as well and i can totally see him coming back for 1 more season atleast.

Fellaini would have been listed like that the season before as well and some of these teams play with 3 CM's. Cleverley has had a really poor 1 year and some months now but he'd look better in a organized and confident team as well. (See Henderson and Mccarthy stepping up a notch.)

Probably not the right thread for this debate so i'll leave it at that. But we have more uncertainties than we should have right now basically due to last season and not strengthening properly before and ofcourse we need atleast 1 top class CM signing in this area but people overstate it still.

Since you are basing this post on last season basically then Wanyama, Dembele certainly weren't better. Dembele has gotten bit rubbish infact and was rightly dropped for Fellaini during the WC. Paulinho was pretty meh as well. And Wilshere has gone nowhere so far and doesn't even start for Arsenal as of now despite huge potential. Fernandinho and Matic, Barry are debateable as well though they were better last season.

Barry was ridiculed last summer and even Everton fans didn't really want him. It's the system and playing in a organized and confident team that has rejuvenated him and gotten him a 3 year deal. Carrick was amongst the best midfielders in the league just a season prior if not the best. LVG seemed really down about his injury as well and i can totally see him coming back for 1 more season atleast.

Fellaini would have been listed like that the season before as well and some of these teams play with 3 CM's. Cleverley has had a really poor 1 year and some months now but he'd look better in a organized and confident team as well. (See Henderson and Mccarthy stepping up a notch.)

Probably not the right thread for this debate so i'll leave it at that. But we have more uncertainties than we should have right now basically due to last season and not strengthening properly before this area but people overstate it still.
Barry and Wilshere aren't debatable at all. And of course the players need the right system to flourish, but I don't see any of those players fitting in LVG's system, either due to the lack of quality or just them being not made for the roles in the system.
Tottenham have a lot of promising CM's and I think they will be better once the manager settles, but it may be the same with our midfield, so I'll give you that.

I wonder where he would play if he came. He is a world class player and showed his versatility last season I have no doubt he would start for us and could play in several positions. For 4-3-3 we would needed another defensive minded player in midfield to pair herrera and he would have to stay fit all season. Then we would have three quality wing players in di Maria/Januzaj/Welbeck. if we stick to 3-5-2 he could play off the striker but but it would force him to bench januzaj/welbeck and one of RVP/Rooney - unlikely even he would do the robben role brilliantly IMO. He could play as CAM as he would be very dynamic replacement of mata who would be either benched or forced to play deeper which would be defensively not good enough.. he could play as wingback as he showed his workrate and willingness to tackle but his potential would be quite wasted, unless we let him play more advanced role as jones is a good player to be his cover as the RCB, someone suggested that before in other thread with januzaj as advanced wingback. But he could also play in something like this herrera - di maría as CM and carrick/fletcher playing the sweeper/DLP role. We need to bring quality CM anyway either playing 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 but as it looks likely we got used to 3-5-2 during preseason and will stick to it. Don't think di maria wouldn't find a role in that system. Sure there are roles for him where he would be a little wasted but we could change to 4-3-3 in case the CMs are in form and the things are not going well during the match. CM wouldnt be a waste but we would have to bench mata and surely wed needed to bid for de Jong then..

Ohhhh, we hope in vain because we love the pain; muppets it is time to drown in the rain...Ed has let us down again

He is probably trying to work out a deal to get Di Maria's image rights if the football bit falls thru. It would be like as if we still signed him but didn't.

One is a a hard working winger and CM, the other is just another featherweight CAM in the squad that doesn't have good wingers and creative CM's, but has CAM's to fill a house.
Seriously, how can you even compare the two players..?...

You seem to be unaware that you've just proved my point: The expensive, shiny new toy of just 7 months ago is ditched in favour of trying to buy an even more expensive new shiny toy.

Mata, hailed as "world class" by many on here - lauded as a player who would play a key part in turning around the team's fortune's - now becomes "just another featherweight CAM".

You don't think we need Di Maria? Our team lacks pace, it lacks quality on the wing, it lacks a player with the ability to carry the ball forward.

If we are interested we would have gone in and placed a bid for him by now. The fans raise their own expectations by reading into media bollocks and then complain about owners when they are not bidding for Ronaldo, Messi etc.,

Yes, I understand he will improve our squad massively. But you have to realise that it is upto the manager to make the decision whether to sign him or not. If LVG had wanted him over the summer, he would have definitely pushed for him and he would be here by now.

So stop reading the media bollocks and trust the manager to make the decisions.

Not all rumors are bollock. LvG did mention ADM in one of his interviews, so it's pretty clear he wants him.

Our only hope is that Carrick comes back very strong and then stays injury-free in a midfield-two with him and Herrera, if we don't buy someone who's actually capable of defending in the middle. Cleverley is more of an AM than a DM, Scholes himself stated that. Fletcher was always a box-to-box midfielder, not very disciplined in defence and Fellaini played most games at AM at his former club, so a lot of patience is needed to form him into the DM we need.

Don't even know why we are discussing this in the Di Maria thread, but I'd rather we buy players who actually play the position we need and are no top drawer signing for most of the people, like Rojo and Blind, than players we don't really need, like Mata, as much as I like him. LVG himself said it all the time, it's about the team, not the individuals, so we need players who can actually perform the role we need. Di Maria would be excellent of course, but not as important as a DM or a CB, especially if we stay at 3-4-1-2.

You could make a case for Mulumbu and Yacob, + Delph and Westwood as better cm partnerships than we have too.

Not all rumors are bollock. LvG did mention ADM in one of his interviews, so it's pretty clear he wants him.
em, he mentioned Ronaldo in the same sentence. So we are bidding for him as well?

Jesus, is that mention of Di Maria in that context the only thing driving this bollocks?

em, he mentioned Ronaldo in the same sentence. So we are bidding for him as well?

Jesus, is that mention of Di Maria in that context the only thing driving this bollocks?
No, that's too unrealistic. But LVG likes Di Maria and he seems quite realistic and gettable, that's why we're even discussing it.

No, that's too unrealistic. But LVG likes Di Maria and he seems quite realistic and gettable, that's why we're even discussing it.
It is not a priority position to fill. And so this thread has people trying to convince themselves that Di Maria can play central midfield and wingback for us.

And him being gettable seems a bit of a stretch. Everyone knows he'll end up at PSG.

It is not a priority position to fill. And so this thread has people trying to convince themselves that Di Maria can play central midfield and wingback for us.

And him being gettable seems a bit of a stretch. Everyone knows he'll end up at PSG.
Like said before, he probably would choose PSG above us, because of CL football, but with Rojo allegedly being a mate of his that could change. I know that he's not priority, but on the other hand, apart from Januzaj we'd only have Valencia and Young as proper wingers in a 4-3-3, so I could see the reason. CB & DM is more important of course.

I disagree - we desperately need pace on our wings/in our team, it's a serious defiancy within our side.

It's not THE priority position, it's just one of many prioirity positions.

Were probably too slow to sign players these big players unless no one else wants them or for some reason they want to stay in England.

So that'd be £102m + £140m = £252m on additions to the title-winning squad in a short space of time. Let's call it £220m net spend if you can find buyers for 2 or 3 players despite the high wages that most get.

Sorry, but I just don't see it happening. But it's all about opinions so I'll wait to see if events prove me wrong.
Maths isn't your strong point I see.

:mad:
they're doing it on purpose now.
Bayern don't scout, they've learnt from Chelsea's trolling of us, wait for us to identify, scout , negotiate the deal and swoop in at the last minute to see what we offered, raise it, and continue piss on our chips

Status
Not open for further replies.