Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not a priority position to fill. And so this thread has people trying to convince themselves that Di Maria can play central midfield and wingback for us.

And him being gettable seems a bit of a stretch. Everyone knows he'll end up at PSG.

That's what people are missing. Yes, we would all love Di Maria, but no he is not priority. We can fill pace with Welbeck and Janazui .... what we can't fill is the gaping defensive hole in the middle.

That's what people are missing. Yes, we would all love Di Maria, but no he is not priority. We can fill pace with Welbeck and Janazui .... what we can't fill is the gaping defensive hole in the middle.

So we can only sign players in one position?

Haven't read that before.

We also can't fill the gaping hole on our wings atm, apart from Januzaj. Welbeck is not a winger and will never be. He's also not very good as a wide forward.
So yes, he would be a priority signing. We lack creativity and that for 2 years now. He would bring that.

So we can only sign players in one position?

At the moment, yes. We need to focus. As LvG has stated, we are crazy unbalanced! Until we get close to bringing back that balance .... we need to focus and not just hit out at every WC player that becomes available.

Haven't read that before.

We also can't fill the gaping hole on our wings atm, apart from Januzaj. Welbeck is not a winger and will never be. He's also not very good as a wide forward.
So yes, he would be a priority signing. We lack creativity and that for 2 years now. He would bring that.

I feel as though Benatia should be on an equal priority as Di Maria........ we actually need the CB more IMO.

At the moment, yes. We need to focus. As LvG has stated, we are crazy unbalanced! Until we get close to bringing back that balance .... we need to focus and not just hit out at every WC player that becomes available.

You do realise when he was talking about balance he was talking about the attack, the fact we had too many no10s and strikers and not enough quality out wide.

I feel as though Benatia should be on an equal priority as Di Maria........ we actually need the CB more IMO.

We are signing Rojo. ANother CB would be luxury, not sure we desperately need another one in addition.

Fine, lets focus all of our money on Di Maria then, and not buy a midfielder to help get him the ball and not buy another CB and pray that our injury prone CB's stay healthy, and that now that we have Di Maria we just score more goals than the opposing teams.

Again, I am not against signing the guy. I think he is 100% quality (though not a bargain for sure,) I just want to see us sure up a few positions first.

Fine, lets focus all of our money on Di Maria then, and not buy a midfielder to help get him the ball and not buy another CB and pray that our injury prone CB's stay healthy, and that now that we have Di Maria we just score more goals than the opposing teams.

Again, I am not against signing the guy. I think he is 100% quality (though not a bargain for sure,) I just want to see us sure up a few positions first.

Why is it either or? We need a CB a CM and also a wide player too

Di Maria will be the last reason why we aren't signing anyone else.

We all do but it's two weeks untill the window is over, 2.5 months have passed and we haven't done anything in the transfer market ( given that Shaw and Herrera were still Moyes targets and were somewhat wrapped before the window opened ). There's no certainty that if we pass on di Maria, we'll automatically buy a CB and CM.

Just to clarify, I'm NOT talking about anyone here on on this thread, but you have to wonder how many of the voices would be silenced if we bought Di Maria -- even though he's just about the last thing we need, apart from bloody Cavani.

We are signing Rojo. ANother CB would be luxury, not sure we desperately need another one in addition.

We need another defender in addition to Rojo.

Benatia, Vial and Di Maria. This is what we need to be competitive again.

There's very little noise about this in the Madrid press, certainly not from the ones you'd normally say are ITK about Madrid's business. Broadly they think United have the cash (but haven't offered the asking price) and PSG are willing to pay, but can't right now.

Di Maria has apparently been offered a payrise by Madrid (against their normal policy but at Ancelotti's request) and he has rejected it. That's "according to sources close to the player."

At this moment, Di Maria hasn't told them who he wants to play for, though (last they heard) PSG was his preference. They are waiting to hear confirmation from him that he wants to leave and where he wants to go. That statement might sound strange but Madrid's view is that when a player wants to move to them, and they want the player - it's then just about price, two clubs agreeing a deal. The same logic applies when a player leaves, they won't enter an auction to keep him.

em, he mentioned Ronaldo in the same sentence. So we are bidding for him as well?

Jesus, is that mention of Di Maria in that context the only thing driving this bollocks?
You misread it. @bleedred said we don't sign him because nothing indicate that LvG wants him. The fact is LvG personally said he wants someone like ADM. And why the feck we dont get him already is another question, many be he prefers CL football, maybe we just can't afford him, etc...

But anyway I would say if Ronaldo were available and we could afford his price, I don't see what would be the problem with us bidding for him?

You misread it. @bleedred said we don't sign him because nothing indicate that LvG wants him. The fact is LvG personally said he wants someone like ADM. And why the feck we dont get him already is another question, many be he prefers CL football, maybe we just can't afford him, etc...

But anyway I would say if Ronaldo were available and we could afford his price, I don't see what would be the problem with us bidding for him?

"'Now we have five No 9s and four No 10s and we don't have wingers to play attacking width, not at the highest level, of Ronaldo or Di Maria or something like that. So I have to play also in another way and you have seen that."

Its taken way out of context by the media who are desperate for everything and would just hang on to the slightest reference as a concrete proof.

Be how witty you want, you know what I mean. They're all too poor for a title winning side TODAY.

I'm not being witty, you said top 8, not title winning.

Less relevantly, but equally inconsistently, you also specifically said last year, not today.

Your "you know what I mean" was a tad optimistic, I'm afraid. I've got almost no idea what you're actually trying to say.

Sorry , I mean senior CB...we have none of those at the moment.

Except for Phil Jones who has 155 senior appearances for club and country, Chris Smalling who has also has 155 and Jonny Evans who has 247.

Except for Phil Jones who has 155 senior appearances for club and country, Chris Smalling who has also has 155 and Jonny Evans who has 247.

Lets start a few games with Evans, Smalling and Jones and see what happens then.

I'm not being witty, you said top 8, not title winning.

Less relevantly, but equally inconsistently, you also specifically said last year, not today.

Your "you know what I mean" was a tad optimistic, I'm afraid. I've got almost no idea what you're actually trying to say.

Yes, because I obviously can't say this years top 8 can I? That would include Swansea, Aston Villa and Hull.

I'm saying that any of those midfielders would struggle to hold down a regular place in either City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs. Hell, even Swansea and Newcastle have better centre mids.

Lets start a few games with Evans, Smalling and Jones and see what happens then.

I'd happily start with any two of them in a back four or three of them in a back five. It's strength in depth that we need. It's amazing how much stronger our defence will look if we ever sort midfield.

You seem to be unaware that you've just proved my point: The expensive, shiny new toy of just 7 months ago is ditched in favour of trying to buy an even more expensive new shiny toy.

How's that? I don't consider Di Maria a new shiny toy. Winger who can dribble and a creative CM are badly needed and you get both with him.

Mata, hailed as "world class" by many on here - lauded as a player who would play a key part in turning around the team's fortune's - now becomes "just another featherweight CAM".

Of course people here were going crazy when he was signed and I can guarantee you that all other club's fans would react identically.
You have to look at the context to understand; no results, shit game, shit manager, shit summer window.....shit everything, and then Juan Mata comes out of the blue. It was supposed to be a turning point, a statement of intent. It just didn't work out..

Love Januzaj but he isn't actually all that quick from what I've seen. He's more about skill and guile.

Love Januzaj but he isn't actually all that quick from what I've seen. He's more about skill and guile.

Watch it closely, he isnt someone who relies on his speed but he definitely is quick. Look at 1:25, he wasnt significantly quicker than Richardson, but he could keep up with him at full speed, and you wont get much quicker defenders than Richardson.

Watch it closely, he isnt someone who relies on his speed but he definitely is quick.

Like I say he's a very special player and extremely deceptive with his skills, run-timing and intelligence, but straight line explosive speed is not his strength.

he's a world class player, for a world class fee.

that anyone has faith in Woodward & the Glazers to carry such a transfer out bemuses me somewhat...

Its not his strength but that doesnt mean that he hasnt got it, he is no Bale but he is certainly pacy.
His balance and ability to run with the ball means he will be faster than most players. Valencia is fast, but only if he can kick the ball 8 yards in front of him, the moment he needs to take a touch his pace drops dramatically. When you can beat players as effortlessly as Januzaj can, you don't need to be some super speed freak. 'Pace' is over rated anyway, being technically sound with a good footballing brain and the ability to beat a man is a much more valuable asset in my opinion.

His balance and ability to run with the ball means he will be faster than most players. Valencia is fast, but only if he can kick the ball 8 yards in front of him, the moment he needs to take a touch his pace drops dramatically. When you can beat players as effortlessly as Januzaj can, you don't need to be some super speed freak. 'Pace' is over rated anyway, being technically sound with a good footballing brain and the ability to beat a man is a much more valuable asset in my opinion.
Yeah but even off to ball, do you reckon than when you give him a through ball, he wont be faster than defenders most of the time?

Latest Jamie Jackson Guardian piece:

But sources at United say no one has had any contact or discussions with Ángel di María about bringing him to Old Trafford. The situation could change as the 1 September transfer deadline is less than two weeks away and United continue to try to strengthen a squad that has had no recruits since Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera were bought in June.

Paris Saint-Germain, the French champions, also hope to land Di María, on a loan deal after a permanent move fell through due to the fee demanded by Real Madrid.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...anchester-united-contract-problems?CMP=twt_gu

Regardless of the fact that we need centre backs as people keep mentioning, - and rightly so - we also need a world class winger / midfielder at this club. Something we've not had since we had Ronaldo. And we're short of pace players too apart from Welbeck and Januzaj and Januzaj is still very young. We need to be buying ready and fully developed players right now and Di Maria is exactly that.

Jamie Jackson has been wrong about so much this summer. We really shouldn't be listening to any of his nonsense.

he's a world class player, for a world class fee.

that anyone has faith in Woodward & the Glazers to carry such a transfer out bemuses me somewhat...

Once upon a time in a land far far away, Manchester United also had an appetite for signing world class talent at world class fees (Ferdinand, Veron, Rooney etc).

Sadly, those days have passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.