Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Push the fecking boat and get this sorted before we are overtaken by events, Woody. Pay the going rate then worry about finances later, ffs.

Judging by Jamie and Gary's analysis on SS1 right now, it looks like Vidal is the player we need the most. Followed by Di Maria.

Did anyone see Revista if so what did Ballague say about Di Maria?

So are we assuming Di Maria will stall as long as there is a chance PSG can offload £50 million worth of players and finish their deal, and will only concede defeat and join us when it is obvious they won't?

Surely if it's one of Vidal, or Di Maria, then it has to be Vidal, this would be a mega luxury signing when other areas are far more pressing, much like Mata was.

Of all the muppet dreams of the past few years, Di Maria dwarfs them all for me. Such an exciting player and I genuinely believe he'd make mince meat out of the PL.

Think teams will fear him as they feared Ronaldo.

I love how players become about ten times better and over exaggerated as soon as United are linked with them.

Hes top class no doubt, but hes not on the same level of what you would get if you got Vidal, Kroos, or Fabregas. For the most part because they are the kind of player your team really really needs.

I love how players become about ten times better and over exaggerated as soon as United are linked with them.

Hes top class no doubt, but hes not on the same level of what you would get if you got Vidal, Kroos, or Fabregas. For the most part because they are the kind of player your team really really needs.
We've said that so often about Liverpool fans. Basically you get a few fans from every set of supporters who do it. Well done on pointing out it's united fans who do it though.

I agree with the last bit. But some people are underestimating how much lack of pace and dribbling skill in attack is hurting us at the moments. It's most definitely a problem.

Di Maria would be the nearest player to Ronaldo we have had since the man himself left.

I've been saying we've needed a genuine quality winger for some time now (and since Valencia decided to flop) so this signing should be an absolute must and would undoubtedly transform our squad.

He was sensational for Madrid last season but didn't get the credit he deserved with the Bale/Ronaldo factor. The issue is we need more than just Di Maria but he is just as important than bringing in a centre midfielder in my opinion.

So are we assuming Di Maria will stall as long as there is a chance PSG can offload £50 million worth of players and finish their deal, and will only concede defeat and join us when it is obvious they won't?

Surely if it's one of Vidal, or Di Maria, then it has to be Vidal, this would be a mega luxury signing when other areas are far more pressing, much like Mata was.

Real Madrid will stall unless they really are after Falcao. We think £50m/€60m is a lot - they think an auction opens with that bid.

In fact, given the way Madrid work, if Benzema scores and they win the Supercopa, I reckon they'll forget Falcao. If Di Maria plays like he did in their last friendly and gives a couple of assists to Ronaldo, they might even offer Di Maria a new contract.

Unlike us, they don't need to do more in the transfer market.

Real Madrid will stall unless they really are after Falcao. We think £50m/€60m is a lot - they think an auction opens with that bid.

In fact, given the way Madrid work, if Benzema scores and they win the Supercopa, I reckon they'll forget Falcao. If Di Maria plays like he did in their last friendly and gives a couple of assists to Ronaldo, they might even offer Di Maria a new contract.

Unlike us, they don't need to do more in the transfer market.

For this reason we should walk away then, cannot risk taking our prime transfer target (rightly or wrongly) to the last day and it falling through, Cuadrado is available & would suit our system more, can't take any chances with this it's just too important this season.

Yup, he's not going to control games is he? We need somebody to be able to win back and play balls to a Di Maria to do damage. Vidal and then Di Maria it is! ;)

Not according to transfermkt: http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/manchester-united-transfers.html

Starting with Zaha (who didn't join the squad until after you'd won the league title) you've spent £139m, and recovered £9m, making £130m net spend.

A Spurs fan lecturing us on wasting money.

Behold from the website he linked to: http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/tottenham-hotspur-transfers.html

£587.5m outlay. The net result of this spending - a Carling Cup and one solitary appearance in the Champions League.

If anyone can find me a similar waste of money anywhere with so little reward I'd love to see it.

Yup, he's not going to control games is he? We need somebody to be able to win back and play balls to a Di Maria to do damage. Vidal and then Di Maria it is! ;)

Now that would be a deadly combination. Just Di Maria is not enough considering you have players who are inferior but not by that much there already.

A Spurs fan lecturing us on wasting money.

Behold from the website he linked to: http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/tottenham-hotspur-transfers.html

£587.5m outlay. The net result of this spending - a Carling Cup and one solitary appearance in the Champions League.

If anyone can find me a similar waste of money anywhere with so little reward I'd love to see it.

You might consider net spend, not the rather more meaningless "spend". You also have the trophy total wrong .... not that it matters much considering the spending power of clubs we're competing against.

More importantly, it doesn't change any of the basic facts concerning United's disastrous transfer dealings in recent times ... and seems to be merely an attempt to distract attention/change the subject.

How many players in the PL are actually better than him? You seriously overrate the PL and Fabregas who was only average in Spain.

He would easily be in the top 5-6 players in the PL on last seasons form. Not to many PL players did well in Europe last season.

So what's everybody's thoughts on where he'll primarily be playing if we manage to pick him up?

I mentioned it briefly in the Rojo thread (derailed it a bit) that I believe one of the reasons we're after him is because of the fact that he's essentially equally competent playing in two positions, either as a midfielder or a winger. I went on to say that I think it'll depend on how LvG wants to structure the midfield. I do not see a midfield composed of him, Herrera and Mata as a viable option, so my guess is that we'd have two options:

A traditional 4-3-3 midfield three, with Carrick (or someone else) anchoring the midfield, and Herrera and Di Maria being the runners on either side of him. In this scenario Mata is either benched or shifted out wide, as I don't think he has the skill set to play that sort of role.

Or alternatively, we'll see a midfield three more close to what we usually see in a 4-2-3-1, with Mata operating as a part of the three ahead of Carrick / Herrera, and Di Maria out wide. Personally this is what I'd prefer to see, with Januzaj on the opposite wing.

Either way, I think a Di Maria signing will spell the end of the 5-3-2 / 3-4-1-2 (whatever you like to call it) experiment before long. RvP and Rooney together won't work, as LvG will also discover eventually, mainly because it leaves us lacking in pace and dribbling ability. Just like Holland wouldn't have made the World Cup semi final if you had put Rooney in Robben's place (they were extremely reliant on Robben's pace and ability to create).

Going forward with the 5-3-2 after signing Di Maria would also mean that either Herrera or Mata would have to be benched or Di Maria would have to fill in at wing back (I can't see it, we desperately need his pace and dribbling skills higher up the pitch). And the exact same thing would apply to Januzaj.

Di Maria and Herrera either side of Carrick (acting as a fairly central pivot) would be a brilliantly balanced midfield who can offer everything. Think of it as a 4312 or a 41212 (diamond) with Di Maria and Herrera given the freedom to take the ball wide and double up with the wing backs.

Di Maria would bring more than any other player in terms of the tactical flexibility he would offer us. He'd be able to carry the ball forward which is something we massively lack, provide real quality and natural width when played out wide and is a real terrier in the middle off the ball and brings creativity from wherever he's played on it.

Also Rob - Chelsea team is looking great this season and he'd still walk into your team.

I watched many of Real Madrid's games last season. Ronaldo was their top scorer, but Di Maria was their most dangerous player who created the most chances for them. He's also imo one of the most creative players in the world.

As a player I think Di Maria is better than Vidal, but I agree with you in that United need a Vidal more (mainly because of his position).

So, winger is not a priority position to fill, compared to defence and central midfield.
And Di Maria can't play wingback.
And, by most accounts he doesn't even want to play for United, preferring PSG. Not a good attribute in a potential signing.

So why the hell is this rumour getting all the focus now?

Oh bore off. He's been immense during a season in which Real won the UCL. He's been consistently productive for years and he's a game changer capable of magic while providing a constant threat that teams will have to plan for.

He's top class.

Di Maria and Herrera either side of Carrick (acting as a fairly central pivot) would be a brilliantly balanced midfield who can offer everything. Think of it as a 4312 or a 41212 (diamond) with Di Maria and Herrera given the freedom to take the ball wide and double up with the wing backs.

Di Maria would bring more than any other player in terms of the tactical flexibility he would offer us. He'd be able to carry the ball forward which is something we massively lack, provide real quality and natural width when played out wide and is a real terrier in the middle off the ball and brings creativity from wherever he's played on it.

Also Rob - Chelsea team is looking great this season and he'd still walk into your team.
Yeah, I agree with your assessment of him and what he'd bring to the table, which is why I hope that he's at the top of our list. Especially given that he's clearly available - We just need to throw the money on the table and finalize the deal.

And I'm partial to that type of midfield constellation, mainly because it's much more balanced than the inverted version. But I do believe Mata would offer more centrally than out wide, and I think Di Maria would be absolutely excellent out wide as well. Either way, it would be a wonderful decision for LvG to be able to make.

Oh bore off. He's been immense during a season in which Real won the UCL. He's been consistently productive for years and he's a game changer capable of magic while providing a constant threat that teams will have to plan for.

He's top class.

Thank you for saying exactly what I said!

@Jed I. Knight Well no you can have both. A midfield of Carrick playing a deep role, dropping between the centre backs, always being available for the pass and trying to control the game (just his usual role under Fergie). Di Maria and Herrera would be either side of him, tasked with putting themselves about off the ball, and on the ball carrying it forward, linking with our wing backs and getting the ball into Mata who is playing centrally behind Rooney and Van Persie.

Thank you for saying exactly what I said!

'Di Maria is top class but you're massively overrating him, there's atleast 5 players in the world I think are better.'

So, winger is not a priority position to fill, compared to defence and central midfield.
And Di Maria can't play wingback.
And, by most accounts he doesn't even want to play for United, preferring PSG. Not a good attribute in a potential signing.

So why the hell is this rumour getting all the focus now?
He can play central midfield, and he would give us qualities we need both there and potentially on the wing (see the posts above). Given LvG's stated preference for playing 4-3-3 this would be a step in that direction, and realistically it could mean that Persie or Rooney would have to warm the bench before long. Persie will probably be keeping the physios busy most of the season anyways.

Those Twitter accounts saying "Sky Sports" when saying LVG wants Di Maria, do they mean Ballbags?

He can play central midfield, and he would give us qualities we need both there and potentially on the wing (see the posts above). Given LvG's stated preference for playing 4-3-3 this would be a step in that direction, and realistically it could mean that Persie or Rooney would have to warm the bench before long. Persie will probably be keeping the physios busy most of the season anyways.
Di Maria playing central midfield for us?

feck this, I'm out. The insanity is just rising by the day. What will it be like by the end do the 2 weeks.

@Jed I. Knight Well no you can have both. A midfield of Carrick playing a deep role, dropping between the centre backs, always being available for the pass and trying to control the game (just his usual role under Fergie). Di Maria and Herrera would be either side of him, tasked with putting themselves about off the ball, and on the ball carrying it forward, linking with our wing backs and getting the ball into Mata who is playing centrally behind Rooney and Van Persie.

I'm not sure how you're going to make that happen, unless you push Carrick in at centre back, or we're allowed to play with 12 men?

Given the role of the wing-backs, I think that would be very risky. It would either require more defensive minded wing backs, or we would be very exposed with only two centre backs at the back as soon as Carrick steps out of the line.

You might consider net spend, not the rather more meaningless "spend". You also have the trophy total wrong .... not that it matters much considering the spending power of clubs we're competing against.

More importantly, it doesn't change any of the basic facts concerning United's disastrous transfer dealings in recent times ... and seems to be merely an attempt to distract attention/change the subject.

My sincere apologies. It's 2 Carling Cups, not 1. That certainly has put a different slant on the £587m outlay.

Meaningless? I suppose it is. £587m of spending without meaning. As meaningless a waste of money as you're ever likely to see.

I'm not distracting from anything, it's clear United have areas which have failed to be addressed so far, not a single United fan needs to be told that. I just find it amusing how a Spurs fan, supporter of a club who have wasted more money than any other PL club, takes such an interest in talking about this. It's not the first time I've noticed you doing it this summer. Is it therapeutic or something?

feck this, I'm out. The insanity is just rising by the day. What will it be like by the end do the 2 weeks.
Well he did it for Real Madrid for a full season in which they won the Champions League, so I'm sure he could do a job for us as well. At least if Fellaini or Fletcher are out injured.......

It's not like this could acutally work brilliantly with another CM addition that does a bit more defensive work.

I'm not sure how you're going to make that happen, unless you push Carrick in at centre back, or we're allowed to play with 12 men?

Given the role of the wing-backs, I think that would be very risky. It would either require more defensive minded wing backs, or we would be very exposed with only two centre backs at the back as soon as Carrick steps out of the line.
Think he is trying to imagine a midfield diamond .

This formation would require a back 4 not 5 if that's what you mean. I did say 4312 or 41212.

£50 million on a world class CM for sure if I had to choose. I thought the signing of Mata would galvanise and improve the team no end but he hasn't done that. Signing Di Maria would again be ignoring the root of all our problems - our god awful midfield.

You're probably right, and I'm probably a bit thick, but you can't have a midfield diamond consisting of Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria and Mata and two strikers ahead of them, if you're playing three with three at the back in addition to two wing backs?

Well yeah that's what I called it in the first post. You can still offer width through fullbacks or Herrera/Di Maria. In games where we want more natural width it's easy for Di Maria to slide across and bring on Januzaj for the other side if Rooney/Mata couldn't cut it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.