Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously it'd be better to have Di Maria instead of Young on the wing, but that's not the central issue and would largely amount (just as it did with Mata) to tinkering at the edges.

You've already spent £130m net (wages excluded) on additions to the squad that won the title. And now you're blithely suggesting that United could commit another £50m on Di Maria (+ £50m on wages) and then go and sign a top quality CB and a top quality CM. Let's say these two extra players would cost another £70m, so let's call it another £100m net in total (assuming you sell players for £20m) plus say another £80m net on wages ... all on top of the £130m already mentioned.

Well, I call "nonsense". I don't believe that United have the money to do this. And in any case you need two quality CMs (not one), plus decent cover for Shaw, plus probably two CBs rather than one).

And the notion that you have "unlimited funds" is of course laughable. Nobody has unlimited funds.
While I agree we don't have unlimited funds, I think we still have enough for Di Maria and another £40-50m, provided we also sell a few players. Di Maria isn't like the mata thing though. He might not be the most important necessity right now (defence is) but we really lack a winger right him and he would bring so much to our attack. Mata was bought when he can only play as a #10, despite the fact we already have Kagawa like that and Rooney and van Persie at the club. It just fecked us over a bit, as good as mata is.

Also we don't need another 2 quality center mids. We signed Herrera already and 1 more to partner him would be perfect, having Carrick, fletcher and Kagawa/cleverley available as back up. Defence is necessary to buy but someone like rojo would be ideal as he can play both center back and left back, and then another top defender to start would be enough.

Obviously it'd be better to have Di Maria instead of Young on the wing, but that's not the central issue and would largely amount (just as it did with Mata) to tinkering at the edges.

You've already spent £130m net (wages excluded) on additions to the squad that won the title. And now you're blithely suggesting that United could commit another £50m on Di Maria (+ £50m on wages) and then go and sign a top quality CB and a top quality CM. Let's say these two extra players would cost another £70m, so let's call it another £100m net in total (assuming you sell players for £20m) plus say another £80m net on wages ... all on top of the £130m already mentioned.

Well, I call "nonsense". I don't believe that United have the money to do this. And in any case you need two quality CMs (not one), plus decent cover for Shaw, plus probably two CBs rather than one).

And the notion that you have "unlimited funds" is of course laughable. Nobody has unlimited funds.
I sort of agree with you up to a point because I know what you mean. We're having to spend so much money at one go because we've neglected those positions you're mentioning for years because Scholes, Vidic, Evra, Neville and Rio were so consistent for so many years but we need to spend, we must spend. We need to keep spending in every position until we're good enough in every position to challenge for the title. Why did we sign the Chevrolet and Adidas deals if not to spend the money to make the team better?

Since Sir Alex departed We've spent 30m on Fellaini, 29m on Herrera, 37m on Mata and 27m on Shaw but central midfield, defence and the wings are the weakest areas of our team right now and they all need improving. We can't stop just because we've spent a lot of money, we need to stop when it's enough to challenge for the title. At least for me it isn't a case of stop spending when we reach this target of money spent, it's a matter of spending until we have top quality players the manager can depend upon in every position.

Last edited:
Why is @GlastonSpur obsessed with our spending? We are Man United not Spurs.
It's also very predictable and boring how he behaves the same way season after season, which is gloating after Spurs beat some team impressively with last minute goals and at the same time United lose, but as the season progresses and Spurs out themselves as the joke of a club they are, all of a sudden he hardly posts.
Maybe he can create his own thread here where he can moan about our money which we have earnt/generated and give his silly predictions, but this way at least we don't have to read his rubbish in every thread.
He will predictably reply how you are taking the discussion off topic. You are quite right though.

I rate reus higher than di Maria, say we managed to land him, would that put us out of the running for reus next year? As he would probably end up at city or Chelsea/arsenal

I'm not going to argue the point about Bale over Di Maria - it's so obvious that I can't be bothered tbh.

You ask "who wants Mata discarded?". Quite a few posters have alluded to it. For example post #3264: "Let's see how strong a manager LVG really is, i agree about your point on Mata, let's see if he drops him for the greater good of the team and the system."

So a few posters posting this a couple of times is equivalent to "discarding him for the shiny new toy"? Also, Bale is not better than Di Maria, let alone comfortably better. Last season Di Maria was Madrid's best player even better than CR7. That says a lot when you compare Bale to him.

Aye, poor Ancelotti, losing Di Maria and having to settle for average players like Kroos and James instead!*

And if they sell Di Maria they're probably going to use the money to buy one of the world's best strikers.

* not claiming that Real aren't mental btw, we all know that, but they are still better now.
That's not the issue though if he wants to keep Di Maria who has proven to be a perfect fit for his system.
Imagine Woody insisting on selling Rooney/RvP and buying Cavani against LvG's wish. And Rooney/RvP haven't even proven anything under LvG at United yet!

That's not the issue though if he wants to keep Di Maria who has proven to be a perfect fit for his system.
Imagine Woody insisting on selling Rooney/RvP and buying Cavani against LvG's wish. And Rooney/RvP haven't even proven anything under LvG at United yet!
Oh I know, it's usual Madrid silliness, but still, I would hardly feel sorry for Ancelotti. It's not a new thing with them!

Bale is comfortably better than Di Maria.

Based on what exactly? Bale is the better goal scorer but Di Maria is as good, if not better, than Bale. And it's not like Bale is far younger than Di Maria. Both are about the same age. Di Maria's last season was better than what Bale had produced in his best season in the PL and Di Maria was better than even Ronaldo for RM last season. That says a lot about his peak.

We have the money, don't worry about that.

I'd definitely have Bale over Di Maria, but the latter was the better player last season...no doubt about that.

It has when we piss about so much over fees we miss out on players and end up signing lesser ones.

This is the problem with people's compliants over the owners, there's no consistency.

"They're not investing!"
"We've spent over £125m"
"Well they're not spending it wisely!"
"That's not the owners fault"
"Well they're not giving us enough to spend!"

Rince and repeat. So tiresome. Also off topic.

This is the problem with people's compliants over the owners, there's no consistency.

"They're not investing!"
"We've spent over £125m"
"Well they're not spending it wisely!"
"That's not the owners fault"
"Well they're not giving us enough to spend!"

Rince and repeat. So tiresome. Also off topic.

Off topic? I was replying to you!

Why do you care about our spending so much?

I rate reus higher than di Maria, say we managed to land him, would that put us out of the running for reus next year? As he would probably end up at city or Chelsea/arsenal

We are not getting Reus either way. Bayern or maybe Real Madrid would get him.

A Di Maria in hand is worth two Reus in the bush. And I would not be even thinking of a possibility of taking away a prized possession like Reus from the hands of Real, Barca, Bayern and the likes.

We have several players we can sell to help fund that, though that's starting to look more and more unlikely. But if we could sell at least a few of the likes of fellaini, nani, young, Hernandez, kagawa etc and get them off the wage bill it would help. Also Rio and vidic were on huge wages and have now left... Not sure about evra.

Why is @GlastonSpur obsessed with our spending? We are Man United not Spurs.
It's also very predictable and boring how he behaves the same way season after season, which is gloating after Spurs beat some team impressively with last minute goals and at the same time United lose, but as the season progresses and Spurs out themselves as the joke of a club they are, all of a sudden he hardly posts.
Maybe he can create his own thread here where he can moan about our money which we have earnt/generated and give his silly predictions, but this way at least we don't have to read his rubbish in every thread.
Don't worry, he'll disappear as soon as Spurs get some poor results. He's entertaining though.

PSG will still be in for Di Maria if they can offload Lavezzi/Pastore/Cavani. Another example similar to Vermaelen were we miss out due to incompetence and stalling if it happens.

I think you might be going a bit overboard with numbers there.

In no situation would we need two centre mids and two centre backs. If we signed Di Maria or any winger it'd probably mean a switch to 433 on a more regular basis, meaning only two centre backs, meaning we couldn't accommodate another two in the squad. If we stuck with 3412 more regularly we could potentially bring another in, but we probably wouldn't sign a winger in that case.

In terms of the midfield, we'd only ever play two centre mids regardless of formation, with Mata or Kagawa in front. We are short of a top class CM but Herrera is good enough to start regularly, while Fletcher and Carrick are both good options. We also have Cleverley as cover and haven't shifted Fellaini or Anderson yet either. Even if we do, as expected, move them on, we still have four players who can only realistically play CM. We could obviously do with some genuine quality to start regularly, but that leaves 5 players for 2 positions so the likelihood of bringing in 2 more is probably close to nil.

I don't think is unrealistic to expect about 100m worth of players to come in, potentially a winger, centre mid and centre half. Whether they'd be worth that total is anther matter.

Off topic? I was replying to you!

I wasn't having a pop at you, sorry it it came across that way. I just told someone ages ago that the conversation was for another thread and then I keep replying when people quote me, it's my fault.

No we haven't. We've spent £120m and recouped around £8m. At least try and be factually correct before you rant about something you haven't a clue about.

I wasn't having a pop at you, sorry it it came across that way. I just told someone ages ago that the conversation was for another thread and then I keep replying when people quote me, it's my fault.

No worries.

Di Maria had a better season than Bale last year, but given the choice between the two I would take Bale.

Anyway, I think Di Maria is a great player, but I'm not sure he'd be a great signing for United at the moment.

We are clearly interested in him and I think Monaco are our only competition right now, I don't see the fee being £50million at all, but I couldn't care less if we end up paying that. We need a big game player like him and the pace he would bring into our team would be brilliant.

Sadly if it meant him being played at Wing Back, I'd rather see him go somewhere else and not waste his talents here.

I think if we could get Di Maria for anything up to £60m, we should definitely do it. I think the most important thing for us is to make our attack feared in the league again. That would make the opposition play more defensively and in turn relieve the pressure on our midfield and defense. The midfield and defense could be fixed with some less stellar signings like Rojo, Blind, etc. - we don't need the best in the world there to be competitive, but we need the best in our attack.

He is not, they are in the same bracket, the main the difference between them is that Di Maria performs against big teams almost every time and Bale doesn't.

I'm searching for the white text

Are you having a meltdown? You reply to a post stating its £50 million transfer fee and £50 million wages, then reply to another post saying that paying £100m and making him the most expensive player in history is outrageous
I'm talking about a £100m transfer fee, that would be high, making him more expensive than Ronaldo or Bale. £50m in wages over 4 years for example is £240k/week. It's very high, but Rooney's on £300k so could be worse. £50m fee is again high, but it's nearing the end of the window, people can see we're desperate, we've stated we have deep pockets, so sort of to be expected. Besides, all that said, i don't believe these figures stated, they always change and can be as outrageously and inaccurately low as they can high (£16m for Hummels for example). So basically, we may well be in for him but the figure is likely a load of old bollocks. Not to mention it could include player swaps, extra clauses, all sorts of crap to pad out the overall value which isn't part of the initial deal.

I'm talking about a £100m transfer fee, that would be high, making him more expensive than Ronaldo or Bale. £50m in wages over 4 years for example is £240k/week. It's very high, but Rooney's on £300k so could be worse. £50m fee is again high, but it's nearing the end of the window, people can see we're desperate, we've stated we have deep pockets, so sort of to be expected. Besides, all that said, i don't believe these figures stated, they always change and can be as outrageously and inaccurately low as they can high (£16m for Hummels for example). So basically, we may well be in for him but the figure is likely a load of old bollocks. Not to mention it could include player swaps, extra clauses, all sorts of crap to pad out the overall value which isn't part of the initial deal.

Wait its 5 years so £200k weekly.

However lets take a moment here, he was better than both Ronaldo and Bale last season, but you think £50m is high?

He was also one of the better players in a team that reached the world cup final.

He is obviously not a better player than Ronaldo, but he is at least on par with Bale (if not better) and he was Reals best player last season along with Modric.

He would instantly be the best attacking wide player in the league along with Hazard (if not better, he is definitely more versaitle) he is better than Sanchez

Wait its 5 years so £200k weekly.

However lets take a moment here, he was better than both Ronaldo and Bale last season, but you think £50m is high?

He was also one of the better players in a team that reached the world cup final.

He is obviously not a better player than Ronaldo, but he is at least on par with Bale (if not better) and he was Reals best player last season along with Modric.

He would instantly be the best attacking wide player in the league along with Hazard (if not better, he is definitely more versaitle) he is better than Sanchez
I didn't realise it was a 5 year deal, so fair enough, £200k/week isn't bad, seems fair.

I can't say I'd seen that many RM matches, but I've never seen anyone say he was better than Ronaldo or Bale last season either and I'd question why RM are choosing him to sell if he was. If he was then we should snap their arm off for £50m. No doubt he's up with the best in our league though, so £50m isn't so bad.

I didn't realise it was a 5 year deal, so fair enough, £200k/week isn't bad, seems fair.

I can't say I'd seen that many RM matches, but I've never seen anyone say he was better than Ronaldo or Bale last season either and I'd question why RM are choosing him to sell if he was. If he was then we should snap their arm off for £50m. No doubt he's up with the best in our league though, so £50m isn't so bad.

Read this thread, many have said he was better than both those players least season. In fact some have said he is better than Bale, some argue against.
Also if you don't watch RM many matches how can you say he wasn't. I'm sure you at least watched the UCL final where he was the best player on the pitch no?
As for why would RM sell him, well they have their shinny new toys James and Bale, its Real Madrid since when did anything they do have logic.

Read this thread, many have said he was better than both those players least season. In fact some have said he is better than Bale, some argue against.
Also if you don't watch RM many matches how can you say he wasn't. I'm sure you at least watched the UCL final where he was man of the match no?
As for why would RM sell him, well they have their shinny new toys James and Bale, its Real Madrid since when did anything they do have logic.
I was too tied up in the Vidal saga to notice what was going on in here haha.
Yeah saw that, but having one outstanding performance (even in such a big match) doesn't necessarily make you the best player in that squad normally. Many players have days where everything just goes there way for whatever reason.
Very true.

Last season he was arguably the best player in Europe.

But that wasn't as a winger.

The Daily Mail who think we are going all out for him this morning, have published a list of players and chances we will sign them.

Di Maria is 1/10...

Brilliant stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.