Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fingers crossed on this. It would be an epic signing, no doubt.

I can see us spending another £100m if we can get 20-30more in from sales. Si.ply because we have to if we are going to increase our chances of an all important CL spot. Best to spend next years budget now.

Having a better last season does not make him a better player.

If you had a choice now of either player for the rest of their career Di Maria or Bale surely it would be Bale.

I can see us signing him, but it still doesn't solve the biggest issues we have. With a shite defence we are winning feck all.

If you had a choice now of either player for the rest of their career Di Maria or Bale surely it would be Bale.

But you're factoring in age and potential which are irrelevant when comparing who is the best player. The best player is measured on what they have achieved and how good they have been at any one point.

On that front, Di Maria has achieved more and has reached a higher level consistently for a longer period of time.

What people are suggesting is that they'd prefer Bale because they think he'd be a better buy in the long term which is fair enough but Di Maria has been the better player out of the two.

I can see us signing him, but it still doesn't solve the biggest issues we have. With a shite defence we are winning feck all.

If we sign him we won't play 3 at the back. We'll default to 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

This would mean our first choice defence would be: Rafa - Jones - Evans - Shaw.

Add a new CB and that defence looks solid enough to me.

I'm not sure it's that clear cut. Bale's stock is as high as ever right now and rightly so. However you wouldn't put it past Madrid getting bored of him in a few years too and then we'll be having the same discussions about how he clearly isn't as good as Madrid's latest play toy. They are both top drawer players in my opinion, but very different styles. I probably would take Bale if it came down to a choice between the two, just because he did it week in and week out for a Tottenham side that weren't functioning very well similar to us, but you could make valid arguments on both sides.

I think if you said you could have Bale for 80, or Di Maria for 40, I would choose the later.

Overall yes Bale in top form is probably the better player, but Di Maria is more consistent and has a better all round game. His work rate and passing is definitely better.

I can see that most just want us to get in defenders and other more glaring issues, but Di Maria is a smashing winger, which we're also lacking badly considering our options consist of Young, Valencia and Nani.

If you were told at the start of the year that Manchester United would have both van Gaal and di Maria for the 2014/15 season you'd have shit your pants in excitement.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...a-decision-081814?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:foxsoccer

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti admits he does not know whether or not Angel di Maria wants to leave the European champions but is ready to play the Argentina winger in Tuesday's Spanish Supercopa first leg against Atletico Madrid.

Di Maria's future has been the source of much speculation this summer, especially with Madrid having spent around £85million to bring in World Cup stars James Rodriguez and Toni Kroos to bolster their midfield options.

Manchester United have regularly been linked with a big-money move for the 26-year-old, and fresh media reports on Monday suggested the Red Devils were willing to spend up to £100million on transfer fee and wages to take Di Maria to Old Trafford.

Ancelotti was again asked about the former Benfica forward's future on Monday ahead of the derby with Atletico, but, not for the first time, the Italian was giving little away - save for the fact Di Maria could play on Tuesday.

He said: "I don't want to enter into this theme so I don't lose focus on tomorrow's game. Di Maria is available like all the others. He may or may not start the game and has opportunities, but like everyone else.

"What I won't do is put out the same team in both legs. One team will play tomorrow and on Friday I will change it a little.

"I don't know what Di Maria has decided. But I know that he's training and that he could help us in tomorrow's match. Until August 31 it will continue the same way and after that everything will be cleared up and things will return to normal."

Obviously it'd be better to have Di Maria instead of Young on the wing, but that's not the central issue and would largely amount (just as it did with Mata) to tinkering at the edges.

You've already spent £130m net (wages excluded) on additions to the squad that won the title. And now you're blithely suggesting that United could commit another £50m on Di Maria (+ £50m on wages) and then go and sign a top quality CB and a top quality CM. Let's say these two extra players would cost another £70m, so let's call it another £100m net in total (assuming you sell players for £20m) plus say another £80m net on wages ... all on top of the £130m already mentioned.

Well, I call "nonsense". I don't believe that United have the money to do this. And in any case you need two quality CMs (not one), plus decent cover for Shaw, plus probably two CBs rather than one).

And the notion that you have "unlimited funds" is of course laughable. Nobody has unlimited funds.

To be honest, we've got to just forget the Fellaini purchase. Any record of the 27m fee should be expunged. It's a horrible sunk cost, but also a valuable lesson.

And thus, in the last year, we've spent 100m. Di Maria + Vidal + Rojo = 100m. Average that over 2 years = 100m per annum. More usefully, though, we should probably average it over the last decade because our spending/revenue ratio has been shocking. All in all, spending another 100m should not be, and would not be, a big deal. And the benefits of doing so would certainly outweigh the costs.

If we could sell Hernandez and Fellaini and get 20m or so total, that would be a very successful summer.

Rojo would be a main CB, but also back-up to Shaw.

We might 'need' two more midfielders, but getting Vidal would be extraordinary. Plus di Maria can operate as a midfielder.

Not that I believe we'll get di Maria or Vidal, I'm just saying the purchase of both would make sense, regardless of cost.

Sounds like he's conceded that there's a strong possibility he might leave.

Oh, I'm sure he's off. Real don't need and him and to be honest, sometimes even they need to recoup some money. Robben and Sneijder a few years ago, Ozi last summer... Wham bam thank you ma'am.

We could be the only club in for Di Maria. Madrid might have made it abundantly clear they are willing to sell.

And we would still f@ck things up.

I genuinely think that Di Maria is a compromise between Woodward and Van Gaal.

I think Van Gaal would quite happily take this squad into the league this year and see what he can get out if them before making changes next summer while Woodward is craving a marquee signing to help sell the brand around the globe.

Vidal was that signing we were "watching the space" for but the knee has put it on hold and now after Van Gaal's comments about Di Maria I reckon Woodward said "listen, if you want a winger of Di Maria's quality why don't we go for him?" I'd bet that Madrid have made contact with us about him much like they did with Ozil.

I think Van Gaal would quite happily take this squad into the league this year and see what he can get out if them before making changes next summer while Woodward is craving a marquee signing to help sell the brand around the globe.

Vidal was that signing we were "watching the space" for but the knee has put it on hold and now after Van Gaal's comments about Di Maria I reckon Woodward said "listen, if you want a winger of Di Maria's quality why don't we go for him?" I'd bet that Madrid have made contact with us about him much like they did with Ozil.

Never in a million years would van Gaal be happy with that squad when he even mentioned our lack of quality on the wings, our lack of defenders and not beeing able to compete for the title.

Will be interesting how much Real Force him and Khedira out close to the end of the Window.

They want to make a push for Falcao.

He might end up being sort of similar to Arsenal signing Ozil late last summer.

Will be interesting how much Real Force him and Khedira out close to the end of the Window.

They want to make a push for Falcao.

He might end up being sort of similar to Arsenal signing Ozil late last summer.

Or Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Robben etc. I'm very hopefull we can get a good deal out of this. Real don't seem to bother if they lose money as long as they get what they want. Once they get tired of a player they move them out no matter how good they are.

Really hopeful this happens. I guess whether he starts tomorrow or not will be the biggest indication of how he feels like, whether he's willing to battle it out against all the new toys or whether he wants the move. Ancelotti certain wants to keep him, it's down to the player himself.

Yes our defence is poor but having Di Maria would be a dream come true. He is fast, direct, can beat a man, has great workrate and can score goals. He would tear any left back in the prem a new arsehole when he's running down the wing and cutting in. We should just break the bank for this cnut.

Yes our defence is poor but having Di Maria would be a dream come true. He is fast, direct, can beat a man, has great workrate and can score goals. He would tear any left back in the prem a new arsehole when he's running down the wing and cutting in. We should just break the bank for this cnut.
He's also one of a select few at the top level who absolutely turn it up for the big games. Look no further than the UCL final or the latest El Classico, he tore Barcelona apart in the first half.

Why do you care about our spending so much?

I'm just giving my views on the wisdom of signing Di Maria (if you do) for a lot of money versus what are IMO much more pressing needs at United. It's not a question of my worrying about it. In fact as an opposition fan I'd be quite pleased if you continue in the Mata-style vein of spending (as I see it) by getting Di Maria. This because I don't think it would strengthen you anywhere near as much as spending money on the player positions I've mentioned, and I don't see you as being able to do both, or not in terms of top-quality players in addition to Di Maria anyhow.

I'm just giving my views on the wisdom of signing Di Maria (if you do) for a lot of money versus what are IMO much more pressing needs at United. It's not a question of my worrying about it. In fact as an opposition fan I'd be quite pleased if you continue in the Mata-style vein of spending (as I see it) by getting Di Maria. This because I don't think it would strengthen you anywhere near as much as spending money on the player positions I've mentioned, and I don't see you as being able to do both, or not in terms of top-quality players in addition to Di Maria anyhow.

Would you be concerned if we could do a double deal for both Di Maria and Khedira?

Of all the muppet dreams of the past few years, Di Maria dwarfs them all for me. Such an exciting player and I genuinely believe he'd make mince meat out of the PL.

Think teams will fear him as they feared Ronaldo.

Never in a million years would van Gaal be happy with that squad when he even mentioned our lack of quality on the wings, our lack of defenders and not beeing able to compete for the title.

I have heard LVG say twice that he needed options to play a 433 if he needed to and our side lacks wide players "like Ronaldo and Di Maria".
He also stated he knew our side needed additions before the Swansea game, which means he already told Ed who he needs but it hasnt happened yet.

I somewhat agree with GlastonSpurs. Di Maria is a star signing and will have a positive impact to the quality of our squad like Mata had. However, it is not a position that should be the upmost priority. For example, a player like William Carvalho is a much more needed addition. Like how Liverpool is utilizing Sterling, Januzaj can develop in the role we want to play Di Maria in and benefit from the experience. However, I am not complaining with this addition because Di Maria will be a quality buy and can provide more than Young(despite his good preseason) in our current attack.

I'm talking about a £100m transfer fee, that would be high, making him more expensive than Ronaldo or Bale. £50m in wages over 4 years for example is £240k/week. It's very high, but Rooney's on £300k so could be worse. £50m fee is again high, but it's nearing the end of the window, people can see we're desperate, we've stated we have deep pockets, so sort of to be expected. Besides, all that said, i don't believe these figures stated, they always change and can be as outrageously and inaccurately low as they can high (£16m for Hummels for example). So basically, we may well be in for him but the figure is likely a load of old bollocks. Not to mention it could include player swaps, extra clauses, all sorts of crap to pad out the overall value which isn't part of the initial deal.

Its not a £100 million pound transfer fee! That figure includes wages, the fee would be somewhere around £50m making him £30m cheaper than ronaldo and £36m cheaper than bale, £50m might seem steep but it the going rate for a player of his age and quality, if hes available we should be right at the front of the queue

I somewhat agree with GlastonSpurs. Di Maria is a star signing and will have a positive impact to the quality of our squad like Mata had. However, it is not a position that should be the upmost priority. For example, a player like William Carvalho is a much more needed addition. Like how Liverpool is utilizing Sterling, Januzaj can develop in the role we want to play Di Maria in and benefit from the experience. However, I am not complaining with this addition because Di Maria will be a quality buy and can provide more than Young in our current attack.

Having a lack of quality and production from wide areas had hurt us for a long while. I've said for ages that it's a more pressing issue than CM and I still maintain that.

Games might be lost in midfield but they are won in attack.

We don't need two CM's. If we manage to get a ball winning CM in we'll be ok. Rojo can cover LB as well as CB.

Di Maria @ 50mil
Rojo @ 16mil
Benatia @ 28mil
Khedira @ 8mil

All prices are quoted today or yesterday as asking prices. That's 102million outlay. That would see us comfortably a lot stronger, first XI and squad, plus we would be able to play 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. Rather than the questionable 3-5-2/5-2-1-2.

So that'd be £102m + £140m = £252m on additions to the title-winning squad in a short space of time. Let's call it £220m net spend if you can find buyers for 2 or 3 players despite the high wages that most get.

Sorry, but I just don't see it happening. But it's all about opinions so I'll wait to see if events prove me wrong.

So that'd be £102m + £140m = £252m on additions to the title-winning squad in a short space of time. Let's call it £220m net spend if you can find buyers for 2 or 3 players despite the high wages that most get.

Sorry, but I just don't see it happening. But it's all about opinions so I'll wait to see if events prove me wrong.

IMO we are getting Rojo and Di Maria... the players we really need are Benatia and Vidal tho.

Having a lack of quality and production from wide areas had hurt us for a long while. I've said for ages that it's a more pressing issue than CM and I still maintain that.

Games might be lost in midfield but they are won in attack.

In a 1-3-5-2, isn't Januzaj and Shaw on the flanks good quality? Januzaj will not be restricted to soo many defense duty with a number 6 alongside him. Rafael, Valencia and Young are not bad option to have for depth. We adopted the 1-3-5-2 system to incoporate Rooney, Van Persie, Mata, Welbeck, Kagawa and/or Wilson in our attack in their most prominent role. I do not understand why we would add numbers or change our system right now to shift one of the players aforementioned in a lesser role.

Di Maria will be a great addition, but not as important as a number 6.

Would you be concerned if we could do a double deal for both Di Maria and Khedira?

It'd improve United of course, but still leave you seriously short in terms of your back 4. Whether it would improve your CM by enough (enough to get top 4) would remain to be seen.

Midfield situation is more pressing that's for sure, but we need better winger options and Di Maria would give us that, on top of that he can play in midfield too.

It'd improve United of course, but still leave you seriously short in terms of your back 4. Whether it would improve your CM by enough (enough to get top 4) would remain to be seen.
I doubt we'd not sign a centre back just because we got those two.

Midfield situation is more pressing that's for sure, but we need better winger options and Di Maria would give us that, on top of that he can play in midfield too.

Di Maria can play in so many roles and would immediately provide us with more flexibility. I can see us playing a 4-3-1-2 at times if Woodward could stop fecking about and lodge a bid with Madrid.

I agree it is a big ask, but we can't go another year without CL football. I do think we will spend big in this transfer window, despite the fees paid for Fellaini, Mata, Herrera and Shaw in the past 12 months.

We have also secured the biggest shirt sponsorship in that time, plus a lot of other deals that have increased our yearly turnover. Also the tv rights money has increased in that time, so the money spent won't be as big a dent as maybe 3/4 years ago in regards to percentage of turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.