Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never said that RM wouldn't benefit hugely from getting Bale. And in any case, when RM signed Bale they didn't even remotely have the CB and CM problems that you have ... and nor is Di Maria as good as Bale.

When Mata was signed last January I read the same sort of stuff on here about the alleged huge impact he was going to have .... and now it's being said about Di Maria, with yesterday's shiny toy (Mata) discarded. It's all fiddling whilst Rome burns.
What's the greater chance of success, having Ashley Young on the wing or Di Maria?

Who's to say signing Di Maria will stop us from signing a CB and a CM? According to Woodward we have unlimited funds available and spending that money on Di Maria would prove it! I'd rather see the money spent rather than ending up lining the Glazers' pockets and their friends.

No, your fundamental problem is a lack of quality CMs. Besides, players like Nani, Valencia, Young and Januzai aren't lacking pace.

I wouldn't presume to guess Spurs fundamental problems so I don't think you should with Utd - believe me, we have a significant lack of pace in the side. I didn't say we didn't need a CM - I agreed. I was making the point in relation to whether we need Di Maria or not...we need both.

Nani has pace but doesn't use it - slows play down. Valencia and Young - their complete lack of quality consumes them. Januzaj - Yes he does. Everything went through him in the 2nd half on Saturday and we became predictable.

I have never said that RM wouldn't benefit hugely from getting Bale. And in any case, when RM signed Bale they didn't even remotely have the CB and CM problems that you have ... and nor is Di Maria as good as Bale.

When Mata was signed last January I read the same sort of stuff on here about the alleged huge impact he was going to have .... and now it's being said about Di Maria, with yesterday's shiny toy (Mata) discarded. It's all fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Are you having a laugh with the bolded statement? He was RM's best player last season. Yet you say he is not better than Bale?
Also, who wants Mata discarded? I have not read a single statement to that effect barring you saying this. We can easily fit Mata and Di Maria in the same team.

Are you having a laugh with the bolded statement? He was RM's best player last season. Yet you say he is not better than Bale?
Also, who wants Mata discarded? I have not read a single statement to that effect barring you saying this. We can easily fit Mata and Di Maria in the same team.

Bale is comfortably better than Di Maria.

What exactly does our transfer plans have to do with tactical plans in a game we were losing and had shitloads of players injured/unavailable for?

What bizarre logic.

You weren't losing when you started the game with 3 CBs against a lone striker. Nor did injuries dictate that your ONLY choice was 3 at the back.

And if you want to know what your transfer plans have to do with the tactical plans in your first match, then you'll want to note the common factor in both: LVG.

Valencia and Young aren't quick or confident enough any more. Valencia's future at United, if he has one, is RB or RWB. Young possibly the same.

Nani was a very good player a couple of years ago and it's really frustrating seeing him now. He would do really well at another club I think. What has happened to Anderson and Nani really saddens me because they both have/had terrific talent.

Is this the same LVG who started your last match with 3 CBs against a lone striker and then abandoned this formation after just 45 minutes (despite it having been your main pre-season focus and practice) and deployed an attacking player as your LB?

I can envision you being all smug about van Gaal if he hadn't rejected you, now you're trying to ridicule him.

We never did replace P. Neville in the ugly stakes.

Yes he is give me Bale at United any day of the week!

He is not, they are in the same bracket, the main the difference between them is that Di Maria performs against big teams almost every time and Bale doesn't.

I'm not going to argue the point about Bale over Di Maria - it's so obvious that I can't be bothered tbh.

You ask "who wants Mata discarded?". Quite a few posters have alluded to it. For example post #3264: "Let's see how strong a manager LVG really is, i agree about your point on Mata, let's see if he drops him for the greater good of the team and the system."

Three of those four are shite and should never play as wingers here.

Does change the fact that they don't lack pace nor that CM is your fundamental problem (rather than a lack of pace in your side).

Yes he is give me Bale at United any day of the week!

Bale is just the Galactico, he wasn't better than Di Maria last season, especially in the big games.
I think Bale has the biggest upside though

Di Maria was arguably their best player last year. I was shocked when I heard they put him up for sale but I suppose they've got a new shiny toy in Rodriguez.

We should certainly be in for him though, he would be our 2nd best player behind Rooney IMO.

Di Maria was arguably their best player last year. I was shocked when I heard they put him up for sale but I suppose they've got a new shiny toy in Rodriguez.

We should certainly be in for him though, he would be our 2nd best player behind Rooney IMO.

If we don't get Di Maria that will just about make up my mind about those Yank owners.

Di Maria was at least top 10 player in the world last season. Also performed in every single big game. How the feck is Bale better? :lol:

You weren't losing when you started the game with 3 CBs against a lone striker. Nor did injuries dictate that your ONLY choice was 3 at the back.

And if you want to know what your transfer plans have to do with the tactical plans in your first match, then you'll want to note the common factor in both: LVG.
We were losing at half time when he changed things.

We played that formation all through an extremely good pre-season that it worked well. To change it in the opening game of the season, at home, would've been silly, regardless of how many strikers there are.

And anyway, if you think 3-5-2 is about the number of strikers you face, you really don't understand the formation.

Does change the fact that they don't lack pace nor that CM is your fundamental problem (rather than a lack of pace in your side).
Both are fundamental problems, plus di Maria could be used as a central midfielder with more attacking freedom in the correct system like he had at Real Madrid. Subsequently, he had his best season to date and consolidated his positions as one of the worlds best players. There are ways to accommodate di Maria, Mata and Rooney, although his signature would probably come at the expense of RvP, but I'd be happy for United to sacrifice his first team position as it would greatly improve the balance, energy and pace of the team.

Initially, I suspected he would be a vanity purchase too, but on further inspection, he would add so much to a team deprived of the attributes stated above and he would offer plenty of tactical flexibility even if it did spell the end for the 3-5-2.

If we sign di Maria, a couple of defenders and an outright number six like Carvalho or Strootman who is more than adept there, the whole complexion of the team changes. We should then be a strong side. Easier said than done...

Di Maria had a great season last year but Ronaldo, Bale, Modric & Ramos were still their most important players. He's a great player & i'd be ecstatic if we bought him but he wasn't Madrid's best player last year. Not even close.

Di Maria was at least top 10 player in the world last season. Also performed in every single big game. How the feck is Bale better? :lol:

He has a biggest transfer fee, like ever. So like, he's well, like, the best player ever.

Di Maria over Bale for me. Di Maria has more guile and technical ability. Bale wins in the raw pace and power department (and looks).

Bale scores goals. Di Maria doesn't. If you get ten goals a season out of him then he's doing well. Which is part of the reason I'd say that people have to look at what he does bring to a team. Pace, flair, workrate, flexibility.

The comparison with Mata is fair in the sense "but is he the player we need right now" but Mata is probably a harder player to accommodate in our team because his flexibility, pace and workrate are lower. If LvG wants Di Maria it's because like Ancelotti he thinks he can use him.

We do lack genuine pace. Of the four you listed, none are particularly quick for wide players. Valencia seems to have lost much of his burst of pace, Nani and Young were never that quick with the ball at their feet and Januzaj just has very little pace at all. The quality isn't there for them to warrant starting regularly either. Add Rooney, Mata and RVP and it's obvious we need at least one genuine pace outlet in the forward positions.

I'd pick Welbeck ahead of Rooney or RVP in a 3412 for that reason alone. Van Gaal's Netherlands worked so well because Robben was absolutely lightning and was involved in every counter. A 433 obviously gives room for another wide player but as it stands our only pace comes from the wing backs, who at the moment are wingers playing out of position.

I don't think anyone doubts that midfield is also an issue. We just came 7th, somehow even below a very poor Spurs side so it's pretty obvious there's more than one substantial issue in the squad.

What's the greater chance of success, having Ashley Young on the wing or Di Maria?

Who's to say signing Di Maria will stop us from signing a CB and a CM? According to Woodward we have unlimited funds available and spending that money on Di Maria would prove it! I'd rather see the money spent rather than ending up lining the Glazers' pockets and their friends.

Obviously it'd be better to have Di Maria instead of Young on the wing, but that's not the central issue and would largely amount (just as it did with Mata) to tinkering at the edges.

You've already spent £130m net (wages excluded) on additions to the squad that won the title. And now you're blithely suggesting that United could commit another £50m on Di Maria (+ £50m on wages) and then go and sign a top quality CB and a top quality CM. Let's say these two extra players would cost another £70m, so let's call it another £100m net in total (assuming you sell players for £20m) plus say another £80m net on wages ... all on top of the £130m already mentioned.

Well, I call "nonsense". I don't believe that United have the money to do this. And in any case you need two quality CMs (not one), plus decent cover for Shaw, plus probably two CBs rather than one).

And the notion that you have "unlimited funds" is of course laughable. Nobody has unlimited funds.

You have to feel for Ancelotti and Di Maria though, I mean RM are absolutely ruthless. Ancelotti delivers them the tropy so many managers before him couldn't despite spending millions after millions, but he still doesn't have the power to keep Di Maria.
And Di Maria who was a key player for them last season must also feel like shite that RM are trying to get rid off him!

Obviously it'd be better to have Di Maria instead of Young on the wing, but that's not the central issue and would largely amount (just as it did with Mata) to tinkering at the edges.

You've already spent £130m net (wages excluded) on additions to the squad that won the title. And now you're blithely suggesting that United could commit another £50m on Di Maria (+ £50m on wages) and then go and sign a top quality CB and a top quality CM. Let's say these two extra players would cost another £70m, so let's call it another £100m net in total (assuming you sell players for £20m) plus say another £80m net on wages ... all on top of the £130m already mentioned.

Well, I call "nonsense". I don't believe that United have the money to do this. And in any case you need two quality CMs (not one), plus decent cover for Shaw, plus probably two CBs rather than one).

And the notion that you have "unlimited funds" is of course laughable. Nobody has unlimited funds.

£200,000 a week isn't that much to us, sure it's only 66% of Rooney's weekly wage, if we judge everything by that then the rest are basically playing for peanuts!

I'd love Di Maria here, I think he's bloody amazing. We'd still need to strengthen in central midfield and defence though if we want to be truly comfortable with the squad.

You have to feel for Ancelotti and Di Maria though, I mean RM are absolutely ruthless. Ancelotti delivers them the tropy so many managers before him couldn't despite spending millions after millions, but he still doesn't have the power to keep Di Maria.
And Di Maria who was a key player for them last season must also feel like shite that RM are trying to get rid off him!
Aye, poor Ancelotti, losing Di Maria and having to settle for average players like Kroos and James instead!*

And if they sell Di Maria they're probably going to use the money to buy one of the world's best strikers.

* not claiming that Real aren't mental btw, we all know that, but they are still better now.

We clearly have the money as our sponsorship deals indicate, it's a question of whether the Glazers decide to sanction significant funds.

Well, I call "nonsense". I don't believe that United have the money to do this. And in any case you need two quality CMs (not one), plus decent cover for Shaw, plus probably two CBs rather than one)

We don't need two CM's. If we manage to get a ball winning CM in we'll be ok. Rojo can cover LB as well as CB.

Di Maria @ 50mil
Rojo @ 16mil
Benatia @ 28mil
Khedira @ 8mil

All prices are quoted today or yesterday as asking prices. That's 102million outlay. That would see us comfortably a lot stronger, first XI and squad, plus we would be able to play 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. Rather than the questionable 3-5-2/5-2-1-2.

Why is @GlastonSpur obsessed with our spending? We are Man United not Spurs.
It's also very predictable and boring how he behaves the same way season after season, which is gloating after Spurs beat some team impressively with last minute goals and at the same time United lose, but as the season progresses and Spurs out themselves as the joke of a club they are, all of a sudden he hardly posts.
Maybe he can create his own thread here where he can moan about our money which we have earnt/generated and give his silly predictions, but this way at least we don't have to read his rubbish in every thread.

Can we not ban Glaston with his constant wumming? He's derailing every thread with his bs
He was missing all summer and as soon as we lose a game, he's here, right on cue. Alastair was banned (i think for wumming), I think there is a case for this bloke too.

Status
Not open for further replies.