Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need Di Maria, just like you didn't need Mata ... the alleged "world-class" signing of just 7 months ago that many of you are now apparently eager to ditch in favour of Di Maria. What you DO need are two quality CMs, at least one quality CB and some decent left-sided wing-back cover.

If United commit £100m (fee and wages) on Di Maria it will be the final proof that your transfer policy is not only up shit creek but has thrown away the paddle. He'd be a big-name signing to appease certain sections of the fan base and not much more.

So you disagree with the manager who says we don't have any top class wingers of the likes of Ronaldo or Di Maria

Of course we need a new winger, our wingers are shite, and we won't be playing 5-3-2 every game, in fact we are only playing it since we don't have quality out wide, and don't have good enough defenders too

He'd be the world class player with genuine pace that the squad lacks. Get him and our attack will have a different dimension altogether. Can easily play the role Robben played in the world cup if want to continue with 3-5-2. Could be the part of a front 3 or midfield 3 in 4-3-3 and be terrific there as well. I'd forgive Woodward for everything if he pulls this one off.
He's probably the best attacker we could have signed this summer. Between him and Sanchez, and id rather have Di Maria. So yeah, it would be a stunning buy.

We habe serious problems creating chances. He would solve that problem with ease. Plus let it happen Woodie you tool

You don't need Di Maria, just like you didn't need Mata ... the alleged "world-class" signing of just 7 months ago that many of you are now apparently eager to ditch in favour of Di Maria. What you DO need are two quality CMs, at least one quality CB and some decent left-sided wing-back cover.

If United commit £100m (fee and wages) on Di Maria it will be the final proof that your transfer policy is not only up shit creek but has thrown away the paddle. He'd be a big-name signing to appease certain sections of the fan base and not much more.
van Gaal said we can't play 4-3-3 because we lack players like Di Maria which makes him needed if we want to play the manager's favourite formation.

"Or, I should say, we don't have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that. So, I have to play in another way – and you have seen that already. I only buy when I think we need to buy – in the position that is necessary."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ngel-di-maria-as-he-hints-at-signing-a-winger

Di Maria can play on the wing/attacking midfield and centre midfield, of course we need Di Maria, he is everything we do need.

You're falling into the trap a lot of Utd fans are by assuming we don't need him. Yes, we need centre halves. Yes, we need another CM. But one of our fundamental problems as a team is a lack of speed - Di Maria would completely transform how dynamic we can then become.

Think there is truth in your post and I would totally agree if Di Maria is purchased instead of a class midfielder - if it is as well as then you can never have too many good players.

These next 2 weeks are either going to be exciting, or a pile of shite.

You think a manager as good as van Gaal would sign a player like Di Maria without having a clear plan as to how he would fit in? Especially as only a few weeks ago he publicly named him as the sort of player we are missing here.

We do need a player like Di Maria, almost as much as we need a midfielder. We either have quality players or pacy players. He is both rolled up into one, and that is what our attack lacks mostly. We still need players in other positions as well of course, but our lack of genuine quality out wide has been a serious concern for two years now as passing the ball out wide is ingrained in the mentality of many of our players.

I think Di Maria would be great, but £100m? That's sort of laughable really.

What we need is some genuine pace in our squad and someone who is actually creative from the wide areas (apart from Januzaj). Di Maria is an absolutely magnificent player and he will help us immensely. I am sure you were also the one peddling that RM didn't need Bale last season and look what he has helped them get. The Decima which they were craving for.
Also, what's to say we don't have money to get a quality CB and a midfielder despite getting Di Maria.

£100m is the overall cost including his wages. So the transfer would be around £50m.
Ah, makes more sense.
Couldn't care less about fees tbh, long as we get quality players who gives a feck in all honest?
Now i'm normally the one saying that, but £100m is outrageous. I mean this would make him the most expensive player in history, is he really that good? And it would take some time to beat that record, not to mention it's going to send a message of "we'll literally pay anything for someone we want", probably meaning an end to transfers for us this summer, and we badly need defenders yet,the deadline's tight enough.

I dont think Di Maria is needed tbh, especially not at the cost being quoted.

I disagree. We need pace in this squad. We have been lacking it for a couple of season at least. Someone who can run with the ball and frighten defenders.

So you disagree with the manager who says we don't have any top class wingers of the likes of Ronaldo or Di Maria

Of course we need a new winger, our wingers are shite, and we won't be playing 5-3-2 every game, in fact we are only playing it since we don't have quality out wide, and don't have good enough defenders too

How many teams DO have top class wingers of the likes of Ronaldo or Di Maria? Answer: hardly any. So I repeat, it would be lunacy for United to commit £100m on Di Maria when your needs in other areas are so very, very, very much more pressing.

Couldn't care less about fees tbh, long as we get quality players who gives a feck in all honest?
This. And anyone we get now we're going to have to significantly overpay for because teams know we're in desperate need of quality players. And they know we've got a load of money sitting in the vault that we can use to pay for them.

You're falling into the trap a lot of Utd fans are by assuming we don't need him. Yes, we need centre halves. Yes, we need another CM. But one of our fundamental problems as a team is a lack of speed - Di Maria would completely transform how dynamic we can then become.

No, your fundamental problem is a lack of quality CMs. Besides, players like Nani, Valencia, Young and Januzai aren't lacking pace.

4-4-2/4-2-3-1/4-3-3 wasn't so effective in recent years for us because we went from Giggs/Rooney and Ronaldo to playing Ashley Young and an out of form Valencia. With Di Maria and Januzaj we would have 2 players that are able to take on players with ease, creating space for our central players coming late into the box. If we do indeed sign Di Maria, there's no way we're playing 3-4-1-2 although I do like the formation.

He would bring back the level of excitement we had from past Manchester United wingers on both sides of the field.

De Gea
Rafael Jones Benatia Shaw
Herrera unkowndefensivemid
Januzaj Mata Di Maria
Rooney

That side would scare any team in the premier league.

How many teams DO have top class wingers of the likes of Ronaldo or Di Maria? Answer: hardly any. So I repeat, it would be lunacy for United to commit £100m on Di Maria when your needs in other areas are so very, very, very much more pressing.

Ok.

Chelsea have Hazard
Arsenal have Sanchez

Liverpool have Sterling (Not on that level yet but you get the point)
City have Navas (again not on that level but you get the point)

We have Januzaj (not proven yet, but is a talent & the rest of the dross).

What is more pressing than us needing to have pace in our attack?
It is equally as important as adding more quality in midfield and defense for me.

If it costs £100m then so be it, it will cost us as much to secure Vidal and half for Benetia anyway.

We have to spend all that because we haven't been investing properly for the past 5 years, oh well just get it done.

What is the point of Woodward spouting all the crap about us spending what it takes to win the league back again if we are not going to spend

When we mysteriously got linked with Marcos Rojo, I knew that this deal will have some form of connection to the Di Maria. I do not believe it is a coincedence that we would be interested to bringing both Rojo and Di Maria if there was not a connection to the deals.

Nevertheless, a total cost of £100m for Di Maria would be a great deal. As mentioned before in this post, a transfer fee of £50m with wages worth £200k is a sensible bid for a world class player like Di Maria.

From a tactical perspective, would Di Maria mind playing as the wingback in Van Gaal 1-3-5-2 system? The suggestion of Di Maria playing in a midfield three was minimal before Ancellotti experimented with him in that system. I believe at United, if he is played in the fullback position, he might not be as influential in our attack, but it will work almost as well as Di Maria in a midfield three based of the space he will have to run at defenders. With Van Persie, Welbeck, Wilson and Rooney as quality striking option, we need to stick with this system. Moreover, Mata and kagawa as our number 10, the 1-3-5-2 that can alternate to a 1-4-2-2-2 system makes the most sense.

De Gea
Jones - Smailling - Blackett/Rojo
Di Maria - number 6 - Herrera - Shaw/Januzaj
Mata/Kagawa
Rooney/Wilson - Welbeck/Van Persie

Ah, makes more sense.

Now i'm normally the one saying that, but £100m is outrageous. I mean this would make him the most expensive player in history, is he really that good? And it would take some time to beat that record, not to mention it's going to send a message of "we'll literally pay anything for someone we want", probably meaning an end to transfers for us this summer, and we badly need defenders yet,the deadline's tight enough.

Are you having a meltdown? You reply to a post stating its £50 million transfer fee and £50 million wages, then reply to another post saying that paying £100m and making him the most expensive player in history is outrageous

You think a manager as good as van Gaal would sign a player like Di Maria without having a clear plan as to how he would fit in? Especially as only a few weeks ago he publicly named him as the sort of player we are missing here.

Is this the same LVG who started your last match with 3 CBs against a lone striker and then abandoned this formation after just 45 minutes (despite it having been your main pre-season focus and practice) and deployed an attacking player as your LB?

Mata was unnecessary. Di Maria signing would be a mistake if we don't sort the other areas out due to it. But we do lack quality on the wings. Our wingers have all simultaneously turned to shit. So while it's not as desperate a need like the other areas, it will have to be addressed eventually.

Since when did everyone start including wages as the transfer price? I don't remember reading we spent £80 million on Mata anywhere?

Is this the same LVG who started your last match with 3 CBs against a lone striker and then abandoned this formation after just 45 minutes (despite it having been your main pre-season focus and practice) and deployed an attacking player as your LB?
What exactly does our transfer plans have to do with tactical plans in a game we were losing and had shitloads of players injured/unavailable for?

What bizarre logic.

Since when did everyone start including wages as the transfer price? I don't remember reading we spent £80 million on Mata anywhere?

£100m looked like a nice figure to splash on the paper

Just wanted to know what @jojojo thought about this, do you think he's not defensive enough for the WB role? I've always found him very hard working.

He could I think, but he'd be shackled in that role. You can't expect a fullback to run 80m and then turn back into a productive winger.

I've commented several times in the thread that I think we'd be best served by him in a 433. Herrera, A.N.Other, Di Maria echoing Madrid's Modric, Alonso, Di Maria setup. Leaving 3 places for some combination like Mata, Rooney, RvP. But actually his real significance is that he'd not only bring flair and pace, it's his positional flexibility and workrate that gives him a real edge over most flair players.

He did it because Hernandez wasn't really getting into the game with 14 touches in the first half, Lingard got injured and Januzaj can't defend as a LWB.

This makes no sense. You seem to indicate that 3 CB's against a loan striker was overkill but then go on to say it was the formation which we focused on and practiced. Lingard went off injured and it forced his hand.

I don't think he should be a priority.

Whatever way you look at it Di Maria will be replacing one off Rooney, RVP or Mata. He may be an improvement on some of them but isn't a massive improvement in quality for me.

Spend £50m replacing Carrick, Fletcher or Carrick and we would see a bigger improvement in the team. Likewise spend £50m replacing Evans, Jones or Smalling and the improvement in the team would be massive.

Replacing one of three best players in the team with someone slightly better doesn't make a lot of sense.

He could I think, but he'd be shackled in that role. You can't expect a fullback to run 80m and then turn back into a productive winger.

I've commented several times in the thread that I think we'd be best served by him in a 433. Herrera, A.N.Other, Di Maria echoing Madrid's Modric, Alonso, Di Maria setup. Leaving 3 places for some combination like Mata, Rooney, RvP. But actually his real significance is that he'd not only bring flair and pace, it's his positional flexibility and workrate that gives him a real edge over most flair players.
Cheers. I agree he'd also be much better in a 433, I was really impressed by how good he turned out to be in Ancelotti's formation last season.

Getting him would give us a very very good chance of finishing top four, that alone would justify a huge outlay on him.
yes but i doubt we'd need 50m to get him since we already know RM wants to sell him.
I disagree. We need pace in this squad. We have been lacking it for a couple of season at least. Someone who can run with the ball and frighten defenders.
We are desperate. make no doubt about that. but 100m package being bandied about makes no sense to me. its like the mata transfer when we knew Chelsea wanted to sell all over again.

yes but i doubt we'd need 50m to get him since we already know RM wants to sell him.

We are desperate. make no doubt about that. but 100m package being bandied about makes no sense to me. its like the mata transfer when we knew Chelsea wanted to sell all over again.

They want to sell but Ancelotti rates him so they won't do it unless we make it worth their while.

What we need is some genuine pace in our squad and someone who is actually creative from the wide areas (apart from Januzaj). Di Maria is an absolutely magnificent player and he will help us immensely. I am sure you were also the one peddling that RM didn't need Bale last season and look what he has helped them get. The Decima which they were craving for.
Also, what's to say we don't have money to get a quality CB and a midfielder despite getting Di Maria.

I have never said that RM wouldn't benefit hugely from getting Bale. And in any case, when RM signed Bale they didn't even remotely have the CB and CM problems that you have ... and nor is Di Maria as good as Bale.

When Mata was signed last January I read the same sort of stuff on here about the alleged huge impact he was going to have .... and now it's being said about Di Maria, with yesterday's shiny toy (Mata) discarded. It's all fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Glaston is right. Di Maria isn't really what we need, he just looks like he might be our best chance of a marquee signing - though there is a real possibility he would reject the move even if Real didn't.

A winger is around the 5th position we most need a new player in, way back from central midfield and central defence, after both full-back positions.. and even then a right-sided one would be better than a lefty considering Januzaj (and to a lesser extent Lingard).

He could clearly play in a midfield 3, but if so we still very much need a more defensive central midfield player to anchor, and we don't have one. Fletcher should be a backup. Carrick is injured and in any case quite similar to Herrera. Jones is not really the right player and is needed at the back. Our attacking players are clearly not all that well suited to a three with two wide anyway.

He would improve us, no doubt, and he would not be a mistake like Fellaini was at least, but it would be a hell of a layout for the wrong part of the team.

Even if we were to take the view of buying an attacking player, the thing we need most is to speed up in the attacking third, so there would also be a strong argument for trying to chuck the same sort of money at Dortmund for Reus and seeing if it stuck (maybe with Kagawa or even Mata going the other way if they want either of them), given the difference in age and the fact that Reus would at least fit better as an attacking wide player (e.g. Reus and Januzaj either side of RVP or Rooney)... but Reus would be a difficult signing too and it is really much, much more pressing to sort out the midfield and defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.