Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually don't care about transfer fees. But if we really did spend that type of money on di Maria it would be a sad day for me. I'd prefer no signings.

It would be properly desperate. He is a terrific player but he is also at times inconsistent. When Di Maria has an off day he is really really shit.

I don't care much about transfer fees but this is entering crazy territory. I am sure we are not stupid enough to pay 100 million pounds as transfer fee alone.

He's a great player, but he's not what we need.

Where would he play on 3-5-2? He's not defensive enough to play as wingback nor alongside Herrera.

In 4-3-3 he could slot in the left side of the midfield 3, but then we're stuck with Rooney or Mata on the left of the front 3.

He'd work best on the left wing, but there is no way we're going to play 4-4-2 this season.

So is 50M the actual transfer fee? 50M is a good deal for a 26 year old who is one of Madrid's most vital cogs and a player who would be such an improvement on our other wide players its not even worth comparing them.

You're saying that as if we're breaking new ground in terms of money. A £50m fee may be higher than we've gone before but not by miles, and his wages would be well below what Rooney is reported to be on, so which bit troubles you?
To be fair I fell for the headline and thought it was 100 mill

But he is still a player I would be wary about. he will feel like he is dropping down a level going from real to utd. I just mentioned something similar in the Mata thread. It's not a normal situation for a Utd signing

But he is still a player I would be wary about. he will feel like he is dropping down a level going from real to utd. I just mentioned something similar in the Mata thread. It's not a normal situation for a Utd signing
What do you mean? He won't perform cause he will regard us as a level below or what?

He's a great player, but he's not what we need.

Where would he play on 3-5-2? He's not defensive enough to play as wingback nor alongside Herrera.

In 4-3-3 he could slot in the left side of the midfield 3, but then we're stuck with Rooney or Mata on the left of the front 3.

He'd work best on the left wing, but there is no way we're going to play 4-4-2 this season.
As I and many other people have said that's not the way a club in our position needs to think about it. We get the players in first and then the system they play in second. And Di Maria is a world class player - which we need 4/5 of ideally - and world class players can play in more than one position / system.

But at the same time he's not stupid. He knows he'll be playing under a world class coach who will get the best out of him and make the team better in time.

Players move all the time. I'm sure he can play as good for us if not better as he will be one of the main players if he signs where as at Real Madrid that's Bale, James and Ronaldo. I'm sure Sanchez and Ozil will do fine at Arsenal and it will be the same of Di Maria if he decides to move. Di Maria is the type of signing we need to start making rather than buying players from a lower level team.

Players move all the time. I'm sure he can play as good for us if not better as he will be one of the main players if he signs where as at Real Madrid that's Bale, James and Ronaldo. I'm sure Sanchez and Ozil will do fine at Arsenal and it will be the same of Di Maria if he decides to move. Di Maria is the type of signing we need to start making rather than buying players from a lower level team.

He was Real Madrid's best player last season imo, he may not score 50 goals a season like Ronaldo, but he worked extremely hard, was creative, scored goals and adapted to his new position for them.

He is worth the fee.

This was in an interview with the news of the world back in 2009. Where do we get it all wrong when players used to beg for us to sign them in interviews?

edit:apparently fake? Got them off a goal.com article

Last edited:
To put it into context, by that way of weighing up a transfer fee, at the age of 29 Van Persie cost United £60m and Mata cost over £70m.

Rooney's total bill will be way over £150m by the time he finishes with us.
I know the figure was made up to emphasise the idea that United need to go the extra mile to land these big targets. I'd personally top out at £65m for him. There is a part of me though that acknowlegdes the plausibility of this. I'm thinking Woodward's recent comments and the art of panic buying,which he has shown himself not to be immune to.

Last edited:
This was in an interview with the news of the world back in 2009. Where do we get it all wrong when players used to beg for us to sign them in interviews?

I mentioned this in the twitter thread when we were apparently battling PSG for him and was told that these quotes for fake.

His family told Ladiesman that United's package is extra large.

I was after a concise summary of the days relevant events, not a cryptic innuendo laced with transexual related hear say. Now i have to read back and see what you mean, gahh!!

I was after a concise summary of the days relevant events, not a cryptic innuendo laced with transexual related hear say. Now i have to read back and see what you mean, gahh!!

Harsh dude. Anyway this is all I got :

Manchester United are prepared to commit as much as £100million to their pursuit of Angel Di Maria as the ailing Barclays Premier League club try to beef up Louis van Gaal’s squad before the end of the summer transfer window.

United manager Van Gaal is desperate for world-class additions and has told executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward to do all he can to bring winger Di Maria to the club from Real Madrid.

It is understood United have told the Argentine that, with performance-based incentives, they will pay him around £200,000 a week. Over a five-year deal that would take the club's investment to £100m when a transfer fee of around £50m is included.

A salary that size would put the 26-year-old in the same ballpark as Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie.

Di Maria is aware of United’s capacity to pay big wages and has told his family of his surprise that the English club’s offer outstrips anything made by other suitors, including mega-rich Paris Saint-Germain.

It remains to be seen if United can strike a deal with Madrid. Van Gaal and Woodward know they cannot tempt Di Maria or any other targets with Champions League football so financial offers have to be high.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Madrid-star-Angel-Di-Maria-Old-Trafford.html

Far, far too late. We have obviously leaked our interest for Di Maria and if we don't get him, which you have to think is probably going to be the case - not only do we look stupid (again) it leaves us with very few options.

I would love him here, would give us the positive boost we need but I just can't see how we can pull this one off.

He'll come if we pay him enough. Woody will be counting every penny though.

Brilliant player, really brilliant. I want him at United.

With a midfielder and a centre back.

He'd be the world class player with genuine pace that the squad lacks. Get him and our attack will have a different dimension altogether. Can easily play the role Robben played in the world cup if want to continue with 3-5-2. Could be the part of a front 3 or midfield 3 in 4-3-3 and be terrific there as well. I'd forgive Woodward for everything if he pulls this one off.

If we do not land him, you can fully expect Valencia to be our no. 1 outlet when the going gets tough and we start shifting the ball wide hoping for something to happen.

Happened against Valencia and now Swansea which are the 2 games we have struggled in so far.

You don't need Di Maria, just like you didn't need Mata ... the alleged "world-class" signing of just 7 months ago that many of you are now apparently eager to ditch in favour of Di Maria. What you DO need are two quality CMs, at least one quality CB and some decent left-sided wing-back cover.

If United commit £100m (fee and wages) on Di Maria it will be the final proof that your transfer policy is not only up shit creek but has thrown away the paddle. He'd be a big-name signing to appease certain sections of the fan base and not much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.