Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know how true it is, but apparently Di Maria wants a pay hike which Perez is not willing to give him hence Di Maria wants out.
Thanks. Always thought it this transfer was strange considering how good he was last season.

Agree. Still can't see him coming to us though.

It does seem as if every agent out there is using us to get their clients club to cough up. I guess it's our own fault for not having good enough options on the wing or in midfield/defence to make these things unfeasible.

It does seem as if every agent out there is using us to get their clients club to cough up. I guess it's our own fault for not having good enough options on the wing or in midfield/defence to make these things unfeasible.
Always the bridesmaid never the bride :(

He's the one signing I want above all else to be fair.
It would be some steal but he would have to play in midfield,I'm guessing so it's why I can't see it happening.

Always the bridesmaid never the bride :(

It would be some steal but he would have to play in midfield,I'm guessing so it's why I can't see it happening.
He played in front of Alonso and Modric in a midfield 3 for most of last season so that won't be the problem. I don't know if LVG wants to play the same 433 formation though.

He played in front of Alonso and Modric in a midfield 3 for most of last season so that won't be the problem. I don't know if LVG wants to play the same 433 formation though.

I guessing we will be playing 3-5-2 for at least most of the season but I think in the end he was to go to 433.

What's the general feeling among Madrid fans about the situation,they can't be happy with the idea of losing him.

I guessing we will be playing 3-5-2 for at least most of the season but I think in the end he was to go to 433.

What's the general feeling among Madrid fans about the situation,they can't be happy with the idea of losing him.
Noone wants to see him leave but the thing is, we felt the exact same way about Ozil last summer and look how that turned out. I really believe Kroos might become very important for us next season.

I also believe that despite playing a great season in midfield, his best position is still on the wing. He just got moved to midfield to fit them all in the team.

Noone wants to see him leave but the thing is, we felt the exact same way about Ozil last summer and look how that turned out. I really believe Kroos might become very important for us next season.
Jesus not to bad isn't being able to replace Di Maria with Kroos. Big pressure on Ancelotti's this season I would image la liga title is the least he's expected to do this season.

I also believe that despite playing a great season in midfield, his best position is still on the wing. He just got moved to midfield to fit them all in the team.
Im surprised you think that. I thought he was good but very inconsistent on the wing (although he still got assists even when he was poor) and regularly failed to perform in the big games vs barca, Dortmund, Bayern, united etc. I would have considered him to have been a very good player but not world class. I thought this year in midfield he was world class and was very consistent in his performances and also turned up in almost all the big matches like the cup final vs barca and the cl final, as well as the league game vs barca and the semis vs Bayern(he also managed his usual very high number of assists from midfield too). I thought this season was comfortably his best one and he surprised me by how good he was in midfield. I seriously hope he stays and If he does is used in midfield again. I think bale is much better on the wing than him tbh.

I have to say it really was a good move by ancelotti to put di maria in midfield as it had many positives. Once di maria was put there, the team became much more solid and also controlled games better. Di maria attacked through the middle and out wide on the left and also provided defensive cover on the left for Ronaldo. Di marias ability but also his attitude made it work.

Last edited:
We need to start overbidding for players now because this is what it has come to. It's getting to panic stations in the window time now and we need all the quality players we can get. Di Maria, Benieta, Khedeira, Vidal, the lot. I mean of course we won't get them all but we need at least some of them. 2 or 3 before the end of the window at the bare minimum.

Oh well, at least deadline day has had a bit of relevance for us lately.

Used to be funny laughing at 'Arry pitching up his market stall with subhuman Britannia-ites doing their best to drown out the reporters. Looks like we're in for another exciting evening 12 months on from Fellaini-gate.

Im surprised you think that. I thought he was good but very inconsistent on the wing (although he still got assists even when he was poor) and regularly failed to perform in the big games vs barca, Dortmund, Bayern, united etc. I would have considered him to have been a very good player but not world class. I thought this year in midfield he was world class and was very consistent in his performances and also turned up in almost all the big matches like the cup final vs barca and the cl final, as well as the league game vs barca and the semis vs Bayern. I thought this season was comfortably his best one and he surprised me by how good he was in midfield. I seriously hope he stays and If he does is used in midfield again. I think bale is much better on the wing than him tbh.

I have to say it really was a good move by ancelotti to put di maria in midfield as it had many positives. Once di maria was put there, the team became much more solid and also controlled games better. Di maria attacked through the middle and out wide on the left and also provided defensive cover on the left for Ronaldo. Di marias ability but also his attitude made it work.
I think he's just peaking as a player right now. If he had played on the wing, he still would have had his best season at Madrid. I missed the start of the game today but didn't he play on the wing? He was like a man possessed. His best attributes (pace and dribbling) are best used on the wings imo.

I think he's just peaking as a player right now. If he had played on the wing, he still would have had his best season at Madrid. I missed the start of the game today but didn't he play on the wing? He was like a man possessed. His best attributes (pace and dribbling) are best used on the wings imo.
That is a good point about him peaking as a player. Im not sure I actually didn't watch. The only pre-season game I watched was the European supercup game vs sevilla and I thought the team did very well. I have been following the results of the games though and we have had a bad pre-season. Definitely not a good way to go into the season. I will watch the games vs atletico as well and hopefully we can win them. I really hope we can win the league this season and put in a much stronger challenge than last year. We dropped lots of points at the start of last season due to too many new signings having to adapt. Hopefully that is not the case this season and I am sure ancelotti will want to win the league to complete his trophy haul at Madrid. With bale being settled in and not being injured going into the new season (unlike last year) we should start much better and hopefully hit the ground running.

That is a good point about him peaking as a player. Im not sure I actually didn't watch. The only pre-season game I watched was the European supercup game vs sevilla and I thought the team did very well. I have been following the results of the games though and we have had a bad pre-season. Definitely not a good way to go into the season. I will watch the games vs atletico as well and hopefully we can win them. I really hope we can win the league this season and put in a much stronger challenge than last year. We dropped lots of points at the start of last season due to too many new signings having to adapt. Hopefully that is not the case this season and I am sure ancelotti will want to win the league to complete his trophy haul at Madrid. With bale being settled in and not being injured going into the new season (unlike last year) we should start much better and hopefully hit the ground running.
James hasn't impressed me at all yet, I hope Florentino still has the receipt. :nervous:

Isn't Mendes his agent?

That kunt should be driving him over here after encouraging us to sign Bebe. He owes us big time. Anyways, I wouldn't pay more than 45 million pounds for him. Regardless of whether we need him or not, over 45 would be ridiculous.

Oh well, at least deadline day has had a bit of relevance for us lately.

Used to be funny laughing at 'Arry pitching up his market stall with subhuman Britannia-ites doing their best to drown out the reporters. Looks like we're in for another exciting evening 12 months on from Fellaini-gate.

What subject?

I told you the two sources who said we wanted Cavani. Are you saying Mitten and Taylor aren't reliable? Anyway I 'reckon' too.
If you want to make sweeping conclusions based on transfer speculation designed to sell papers, then dont let me stop you.

We need to start overbidding for players now because this is what it has come to. It's getting to panic stations in the window time now and we need all the quality players we can get. Di Maria, Benieta, Khedeira, Vidal, the lot. I mean of course we won't get them all but we need at least some of them. 2 or 3 before the end of the window at the bare minimum.

Everything says thats not happening its just insane to suggest such a turnaround. Everyone of those players would be picked off by the other clubs who have all done good business already and look like they have ambition. We have failed to even show that!!!!

What a crazy post.

LvG's said he prefers 4231 so we'll be playing that long term & Di Maria will be signed to with a view to be used out wide when we do move to that. Even so, he's played in midfield all season and could do so here albeit making it a bit unbalanced depending on who he's be paired with, he's clearly not gonna be thrown out to wing back.

We can change the formation to fit a player as awesome as him. He could the left sided midfield player in 4-3-3.

He was effective last season in a sort of withdrawn #10 role. We have no need for that - hence needless.

As a winger he is consistently infuriating. I'm absolutely certain that if he hadn't scored that goal against the swiss - having managed to concede possession over 80 times in 118 minutes by the way - noone here would want us anywhere near him. The people who argue for bringing him in swing between; those who are convinced we'll switch to a 433, when the entire reason we play this 343 is to accommodate 2 fantastic strikers and arguable the best #10 in the league, and those who think his work-rate will have him adapting to a wingback role. In neither case do you throw £50m at a club who clearly want him out. Especially when bringing him in would mean we'd have to limit either him or one of our 3 best players. At that price, that would be crazy.

He was effective last season in a sort of withdrawn #10 role. We have no need for that - hence needless.

So many ways to describe where he played, because he played in several positions. His position depended on who was fit - he subbed in for Ronaldo or Bale up front for example. After Christmas and the move to 433, when everyone was fit, he played in a midfield 3 alongside Modric and Alonso but with obvious instructions to use his energy/speed to overload the leftwing allowing Ronaldo to go into the middle without the fullback tracking him.

He also played as a fast defensive right winger in a kind of 4-3.5-2.5(!) in a couple of big games, giving Madrid a true midfield 4 going backwards and a true attacking 3 going forwards. And yes, there were even times when he played a #10 of some sort.

In other words, he was not only incredibly productive, he was incredibly flexible. Ancelotti loved him for it.

The difficulty Madrid have with him is that they increased his pay after a good season, and he turned poor for the next 12 months, before turning into one of Ancelotti's key players. Now he wants another payrise and everyone wonders if it'll be followed by another 12 months vacation.

As a winger he is consistently infuriating. I'm absolutely certain that if he hadn't scored that goal against the swiss - having managed to concede possession over 80 times in 118 minutes by the way - noone here would want us anywhere near him. The people who argue for bringing him in swing between; those who are convinced we'll switch to a 433, when the entire reason we play this 343 is to accommodate 2 fantastic strikers and arguable the best #10 in the league, and those who think his work-rate will have him adapting to a wingback role. In neither case do you throw £50m at a club who clearly want him out. Especially when bringing him in would mean we'd have to limit either him or one of our 3 best players. At that price, that would be crazy.

So much bs. I got eye cancer.

Would be people seriously be happy if we paid £50m+ for him? I think he peaked last season.

Great player but we need defenders and box to box mods and defensive mid. We have a millions forwards now.

Unless he can play as wingback. But I don't think he would want that role.

Would be people seriously be happy if we paid £50m+ for him? I think he peaked last season.

If peaked means being one of RMs best players last season and MOTM in the UCL final then yes I would take him.

I've heard his breath doesn't taste like birdshit, so he's already an improvement on what we have.

Great player but we need defenders and box to box mods and defensive mid. We have a millions forwards now.

Unless he can play as wingback. But I don't think he would want that role.

He's a mile better than anything we have on the wings or in CM, or as a number 10 or pretty much any role he has played so far at Real Madrid. Versatile and worldlcass. I'd take him in a heart beat.

I've heard his breath doesn't taste like birdshit, so he's already an improvement on what we have.

Young's playing as a wingback so that's hardly a fair comparison. Even if we switch to 4-3-3, Young wouldn't be first choice on the wing. Di Maria would come in as part of the front three (in either system) and replace one of Rooney, Van Persie, Januzaj, Mata and Welbeck. Di Maria will certainly be right up there with our best attacking players and undoubtedly first choice in any system, but £50m+ (probably more)?

DiMaria has something ridiculous like 80 assists in his last 100 Madrid games. Madrid really are muppets.

So many ways to describe where he played, because he played in several positions. His position depended on who was fit - he subbed in for Ronaldo or Bale up front for example. After Christmas and the move to 433, when everyone was fit, he played in a midfield 3 alongside Modric and Alonso but with obvious instructions to use his energy/speed to overload the leftwing allowing Ronaldo to go into the middle without the fullback tracking him.

He also played as a fast defensive right winger in a kind of 4-3.5-2.5(!) in a couple of big games, giving Madrid a true midfield 4 going backwards and a true attacking 3 going forwards. And yes, there were even times when he played a #10 of some sort.

In other words, he was not only incredibly productive, he was incredibly flexible. Ancelotti loved him for it.

The difficulty Madrid have with him is that they increased his pay after a good season, and he turned poor for the next 12 months, before turning into one of Ancelotti's key players. Now he wants another payrise and everyone wonders if it'll be followed by another 12 months vacation.

I'm not arguing that he's a bad player. He's clearly a very good player, who blossomed in the last season largely due to the realization of his versatility. We've got plenty of versatile attackers, and no need to go into a bidding war with PSG (of all clubs) for someone we don't have a natural starting position waiting for. You said it yourself - he subbed in for very good players, and found a position that suited him more around about the time Madrid starting playing very very well. He's a great dribbler with a lot of energy and a good left foot - he's not a £50m player. Certainly not for us.

So much bs. I got eye cancer.

Was there an argument there? I didn't see it. Must have been the eye cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.