Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely worth £45-50m imo.

Has his camp or madrid said anything lately?

Nothing. The strongest rumours are now around PSG again, in particular that PSG are trying to sell Lavezzi to Juventus (I guess that relies on Vidal money) and Cavani to someone at which point they will be able to bid enough for Madrid to deal.

If the money's not high enough though, it still looks as if Madrid will keep him rather than sell cheap.

Khedira's for sale though, around €20m it's believed.

He didnt start as many games as those two for the second half of last season.
Im just pointing out if he cant get a start over those two how will he be better than Di Maria in a years time..

True, but Moyes was no doubt protecting the boy from overuse in his first season. Of all the things we can bitch and moan about when it comes to Moyes, we really can't complain about his handling of Januzaj. Pretty much spot on, as far as I can tell.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Januzaj has already surpassed Valencia and Young by some distance. On any given day either of the two veteran players may put in a better game than Adnan, but Adnan now is capable of things on the pitch that neither Ashley nor Antonio are. And he showed that to us last season over and over before Moyes decided to reign him in for Adnan's own good. He was wearing the kid down pretty quick.

But there's no doubt that as of today, Di Maria > Januzaj. I'm only suggesting that that could change very quickly and it's a good bet that it will.

Last edited:
Real Madrid are in a corner and trying to keep all their star players happy is not going to be easy.

Bargains to be had (i feel) I'd wait a while longer and bid £35 million, take it or leave it.

Last edited:
With the volume of superstars Madrid now bring in every year, fantastic players will now leave even more often too. I still don't know how we sold Ronaldo to Madrid and Robben and Sneijder left the same summer without us getting either. They literally both dominated massive games on treble-winning sides the next few years. Isco doesn't fit us since we have so many 10's, but he might be next. Illaramendi or Khedira would strengthen us significantly, too.

The only question is where he plays in the 3-5-2. I'd guess LWB for the first month or so while Shaw is out, to start with.

Di Maria is a quality player.

However with Woodward in charge, regardless of the fact he has said we have so much money to spend, just based on his track record I have a feeling if we signed Di Maria it would mean we wouldn't make anymore major signings.

So I think if we signed Di Maria it would mean no Vidal.

Di Maria is a quality player.

However with Woodward in charge, regardless of the fact he has said we have so much money to spend, just based on his track record I have a feeling if we signed Di Maria it would mean we wouldn't make anymore major signings.

So I think if we signed Di Maria it would mean no Vidal.

If we didn't sign Di Maria it could still mean no Vidal.

Both would be fantastic but we've two weeks to go. Loads of time.

I'd take Vidal over Di Maria if it were that simple but if Di Maria is available and Vidal is a struggle - I'd take Di Maria tomorrow and see what happens with Strootman.

Real Madrid are in a corner and trying to keep all their star players happy is not going to be easy.

Bargains to be had (i feel) I'd wait a while longer and bid £35 million, take it or leave it.

The aren't really in a corner though are they? Players love them and no one is (currently) complaining. With some rotation I could see them all happy this season at least.

The aren't really in a corner though are they? Players love them and no one is (currently) complaining. With some rotation I could see them all happy this season at least.
Can't see Di Maria being satisfied with being a rotation player. Not to mention Perez will want his new toy (James) playing week in, week out.

Di Maria was probably Real Madrid's best player last season. He is light years ahead of whoever he would replace in our team (Young, Nani, Januzaj, Valencia, etc)

I'm surprised this thread hasn't blown up more since Daniel Taylor says we're negotiating for him. He is probably the best player we have been "negotiating" for in some time. Yet there again, our chances of getting him are about the same as a monkey growing wings.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't blown up more since Daniel Taylor says we're negotiating for him. He is probably the best player we have been "negotiating" for in some time. Yet there again, our chances of getting him are about the same as a monkey growing wings.

Yeah, but he is needless. We've got a ton of attackers. If, for example, we sold Kagawa and bought Di Maria, we'd be at a £30m loss at least, piecing the speculation together. There's no way that would be worth it, and even if it was, he still wouldn't get ahead of Mata in the line-up. It's senseless unless we sold 2 of our attackers. He's not better than Mata, Rooney or Van Persie. He still wouldn't get in the first eleven. You could possibly hold out hope that he could play at wing-back, but how insane would it be to pay £40m for a player who has never played in the needed position?

Yeah, but he is needless. We've got a ton of attackers. If, for example, we sold Kagawa and bought Di Maria, we'd be at a £30m loss at least, piecing the speculation together. There's no way that would be worth it, and even if it was, he still wouldn't get ahead of Mata in the line-up. It's senseless unless we sold 2 of our attackers. He's not better than Mata, Rooney or Van Persie. He still wouldn't get in the first eleven. You could possibly hold out hope that he could play at wing-back, but how insane would it be to pay £40m for a player who has never played in the needed position?

What a crazy post.

We lack pace mixed with quality on the wings. Di Maria would be perfect to solve this problem. Plus we would be more flexible tactic and formation wise. Top quality player that we need and van Gaal wants. Buy him

LvG's said he prefers 4231 so we'll be playing that long term & Di Maria will be signed to with a view to be used out wide when we do move to that. Even so, he's played in midfield all season and could do so here albeit making it a bit unbalanced depending on who he's be paired with, he's clearly not gonna be thrown out to wing back.

Nothing. The strongest rumours are now around PSG again, in particular that PSG are trying to sell Lavezzi to Juventus (I guess that relies on Vidal money) and Cavani to someone at which point they will be able to bid enough for Madrid to deal.

If the money's not high enough though, it still looks as if Madrid will keep him rather than sell cheap.

Khedira's for sale though, around €20m it's believed.
For that price, Khedira is a no-brainer. Proven at the highest level, solid, consistent and a proper central midfielder.

We can change the formation to fit a player as awesome as him. He could the left sided midfield player in 4-3-3.

Considering how wide the strikers are either side of Mata in this formation, when I look at our lineup today, I see 3 spots where Di Maria would walk into the side (right-sided forward, left wing back, right wing back), with all due respect to Hernandez, Young and Lingard.

If he doesn't mind being moved around, I think you just sign him and use him as the fanciest O'Shea in United history.

He would outstanding as the most attacking of a three man midfield as he was for Madrid last season. That combination of skill and energy is extremely rare. Well worth paying top dollar for. As a winger, he's good, but not as unique or special IMO.

I don't think Mata's ever had a season as impressive or influential as Di Maria's last season. In fact it's arguable none of those three have, but at least with Rooney and van Persie you have two players that have been up there in that top tier in their position for a significant period of time. Mata's not there yet, IMO, and Di Maria at the moment is certainly the better player for me. More importantly however he offers pace and the ability to beat a man which is something that our team is sorely lacking.

It's unlikely to happen but if we had to get rid of one of van Persie, Rooney or Mata to bring in Di Maria I'd definitely consider it because it would improve our team in multiple ways and make us a much more balanced unit.

We're crying for a player like this. Our defence and midfield do need additions, but at the end of the day we are severely crippled in attacking with tepid play and no ability to turn matches on their head, di Maria would solve this.

I don't think Mata's ever had a season as impressive or influential as Di Maria's last season. In fact it's arguable none of those three have, but at least with Rooney and van Persie you have two players that have been up there in that top tier in their position for a significant period of time. Mata's not there yet, IMO, and Di Maria at the moment is certainly the better player for me. More importantly however he offers pace and the ability to beat a man which is something that our team is sorely lacking.

It's unlikely to happen but if we had to get rid of one of van Persie, Rooney or Mata to bring in Di Maria I'd definitely consider it because it would improve our team in multiple ways and make us a much more balanced unit.

Agreed.

This team misses the ability of someone to go past players again and again, with no fear of losing the ball.

Our lack of pace hurts us more than anything. After Ronaldo left and Valencia forgot how to run with the ball to beat players, we have been dire in that regard. We need someone of his ilk to actually make opponents give us more space. Right now we are getting squeezed as they know we don't have the players to get behind their defence.

This team misses the ability of someone to go past players again and again, with no fear of losing the ball.

Our lack of pace hurts us more than anything. After Ronaldo left and Valencia forgot how to run with the ball to beat players, we have been dire in that regard. We need someone of his ilk to actually make opponents give us more space. Right now we are getting squeezed as they know we don't have the players to get behind their defence.

Spot on.

Januzaj and Welbeck would be the only exceptions to the rule IMO. But the latter's injured and the former is a bit inexperienced so we shouldn't ideally be relying on him or there's a risk of burnout. Need a been-there-done-that kind of wiser head like Di Maria to ease Danny and young Adnan's burden. Not a big fan of the 3-4-3 anyway and Di Maria could provide the versatility of being high level in both 4-2-3-1/ 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3. Seems a no brainer really when Van Gaal has on multiple occasions opined the lack of a genuine wide threat.

I've been one who thought di Maria isn't needed - I am wrong. We need that pace badly.

As Maysie has been saying mutv. Stop fecking about and pay the money

We need to sign him up and play Di Maria and Januzaj on the wings. Now that would be something.

Status
Not open for further replies.