Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about it actually now, if Moyes hadn't panic bought Mata in January, Di Maria would really have been the perfect addition this Summer.

PSG have pulled out for the moment... if Lavezzi, Pastore or Cavani are sold they will be right back in for Di Maria.
They've really struggled to cast them off and it seems pretty clear nobody is interested in them.

PSG have pulled out for the moment... if Lavezzi, Pastore or Cavani are sold they will be right back in for Di Maria.
That will be tough......no one pays 30m for Lavezzi, 25m for Pastore or 50m for Cavani

They can't even buy Aurier for 9m!!!!!!!

They can't get Di Maria for money....only a loan deal is possibly.....but i don't think Real Madrid are interested in a deal like that

LVG called the squad unbalanced. There is no way he will sign another attacking player until we have seen substantial departures.

LVG called the squad unbalanced. There is no way he will sign another attacking player until we have seen substantial departures.

I'm sure our departures have begun. This who don't have a future at old Trafford have already been informed.

I'm sure our departures have begun. This who don't have a future at old Trafford have already been informed.

Even so, I don't see the value in signing a world class player in a position that we don't use.
There are other areas of the squad that should be addressed first, and if we plan to play 3-5-2, then Di Maria is a waste of time.

Even so, I don't see the value in signing a world class player in a position that we don't use.
There are other areas of the squad that should be addressed first, and if we plan to play 3-5-2, then Di Maria is a waste of time.

The manager has already stated its not his preference

The manager has already stated its not his preference

Nonetheless the squad will not be overhauled to the extent this summer that we will play a different formation next season the majority of the time.

If we sign Di Maria he's definitely playing lwb imo, especially with Shaw now out. Just because LVG called Angel a winger doesn't mean he wouldn't play him as a wing back.

Do we play a midfield of Mata, di Maria and Herrera then? That seems a bit light defensively.
We could play something like:

------------De Gea----------
------Smalling----Evans------
------------Jones------------
Rafael-------------------Shaw
------Herrera---Di Maria------
-------------Mata-------------
------Rooney--van Persie------

Jones combing his defensive midfield and centre back talents. Doubt it would function well.

We need 1 or 2 CB's and a CM, but we buy players which we don't need (Mata). I think we are being to tight, every club in the world knows UTD need a cm and when we knock on there door they will automatically ask for more then the value of the player.

If we truly do have unlimited budget then Ed better get his backside into gear.

We need a CM not Di Maria, if we get the CM sorted then yes try for Di Maria but we are like a kid in a sweet shop, looking at one and thinking I want this one then see something better and want that instead.

Rant over.

We need 1 or 2 CB's and a CM, but we buy players which we don't need (Mata). I think we are being to tight, every club in the world knows UTD need a cm and when we knock on there door they will automatically ask for more then the value of the player.

If we truly do have unlimited budget then Ed better get his backside into gear.

We need a CM not Di Maria, if we get the CM sorted then yes try for Di Maria but we are like a kid in a sweet shop, looking at one and thinking I want this one then see something better and want that instead.

Rant over.

I think we're more like the tight mum telling the kid in the sweet shop to put everything down because it's too expensive, whilst all the kids friends get giant gob stoppers and bon bons.

We could play something like:

------------De Gea----------
------Smalling----Evans------
------------Jones------------
Rafael-------------------Shaw
------Herrera---Di Maria------
-------------Mata-------------
------Rooney--van Persie------

Jones combing his defensive midfield and centre back talents. Doubt it would function well.
Why suggest it then?

Makes no sense to spend so much money for him when we can get Vidal for that. Not saying I wouldn't love us to sign him, just that we should have other priorities.

Anyway, gotta laugh how a player that has always been one of the top performers and is in his best years is no longer wanted... Only in Madrid. :lol:

If we sign Di Maria, the only way we can get the best out of him would be to go back to a back 4 and use a sort of 4-3-1-2 imo. We'd keep some width through the full backs and whatever he himself could offer. He'd also bring some much needed pace and trickery.

-----------De Gea----------
Rafael--Smalling-Rojo--Shaw
----------Carrick----------
---Herrera-------Di Maria----
-----------Mata-------------
-------Rooney--RvP---------

If we sign Di Maria, the only way we can get the best out of him would be to go back to a back 4 and use a sort of 4-3-1-2 imo. We'd keep some width through the full backs and whatever he himself could offer. He'd also bring some much needed pace and trickery.

I love this line up. Believe....

We really would've had much better chance with so many players if we were in the CL this season. Just agreeing terms or beating competition would've been a bit easier.

Thinking about it actually now, if Moyes hadn't panic bought Mata in January, Di Maria would really have been the perfect addition this Summer.

Definitely, a front 3 of Di Maria and Januzaj either side of Rooney or RvP would have been great.

This formation could definitely work and would make Blind worth buying to rotate with Carrick in the #6 role.

We really would've had much better chance with so many players if we were in the CL this season. Just agreeing terms or beating competition would've been a bit easier.

Us fans expected this to be the case, but Ed decided it would be a good idea to rub the muppets nipples and sell some tickets. Now he's backed himself into a corner.

Definitely, a front 3 of Di Maria and Januzaj either side of Rooney or RvP would have been great.
You could still do this, if you're willing to drop Rooney or RVP.
---------------Back 4------------
------Herrera--------CM--------
---------------Mata--------------
Di Maria--RVP/Rooney--Januzaj

Well if by September 2nd we don't further strengthen our squad, Woody will deserve the mocking.

Yup. I'd be a lot more forgiving of him in different circumstances. Ones which say, saw us have a stable manager working with him for months on targets for the upcoming summer, rather than a new manager needing to assess the squad leaving him under a month to do business. However his constant boasting about us breaking the world transfer record if need be, "watch this space" and our commercial standing improving as opposed to wilting means that he needs to deliver. He probably should have just kept his mouth shut, instead of briefing the media that he was off to conduct urgent transfer related business.

Do we play a midfield of Mata, di Maria and Herrera then? That seems a bit light defensively.
Any lighter than a midfield trio of Iniesta/Sergio/Xavi?

People forget how much the teams pressing worked, to cover Peps Barcelona teams weakneses defensively.

Any lighter than a midfield trio of Iniesta/Sergio/Xavi?

People forget how much the teams pressing worked, to cover Peps Barcelona teams weakneses defensively.

Erm, yeah.

Busquets is a defensive midfielder and in Barca's prime was the best in the world (still is for me) in his role and incredible. He did the defensive work and kept things ticking as well, none of Mata, Herrera or Di Maria are even close to his defensive abilities.

Not to mention Xavi controls the game at a level none of those 3 are remotely capable of.

If we move to a 433, Di Maria can play in the front 3 or the midfield 3. Given our squad composition (with its strong options for the front 3) a midfield 3 of Herrera, Fletcher/Carrick (or Vidal or even Blind), Di Maria would be an obvious option. In a 442 he can play on either wing or in behind the striker in the centre.

He's not only a high quality player, he's a hardworking player and he's a flexible one. If we buy him, it will be Ancelotti's problem, not LvG's.

Of course, like every other player you do have to put a value on him and that's a much harder question. To me at £50m he seems like a fair deal, at £60m he sounds expensive - but that's me, my mileage and other people's, or United's may vary.

Erm, yeah.

Busquets is a defensive midfielder and in Barca's prime was the best in the world (still is for me) in his role and incredible. He did the defensive work and kept things ticking as well, none of Mata, Herrera or Di Maria are even close to his defensive abilities.

Not to mention Xavi controls the game at a level none of those 3 are remotely capable of.
Because not one of those midfielders are defensive midfielders like busquets mate, do you find it hard to work out what a football position is?

Status
Not open for further replies.