Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I'd take Di Maria over Januzaj. Obviously the former is better than the latter today, but a year from now I wouldn't at all be surprised to see young Adnan snatch the pebble from Master Angel's hand.

Because not one of those midfielders are defensive midfielders like busquets mate, do you find it hard to work out what a football position is?

You are being incredibly thick and need to look at why I made that post. Oh feck it, you'll probably come back with more crap and I'll have to explain eventually. For the second time in about 5 minutes.

The comment was are those three players together a lighter midfield than Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. I then proceeded to explain that yes it is, because Barca's midfield has a defensive midfielder whereas that midfield 3 does not. The post you made was pretty much my point, not sure what you're struggling with.

Please, never reply to me again unless you understand my comment.

I'm not sure I'd take Di Maria over Januzaj. Obviously the former is better than the latter today, but a year from now I wouldn't at all be surprised to see young Adnan snatch the pebble from Master Angel's hand.
A year? I'm one of the biggest fans of Januzaj, but he won't surpass Di Maria in just one year. Give it a few years and he will be. Di Maria is an absolutely incredible player, Januzaj can be but he isn't just yet.

In a year's time, Adnan may be ready to challenge as a first choice in a front 3. Meanwhile Di Maria will be wowing us all in the midfield 3. :D

A year? I'm one of the biggest fans of Januzaj, but he won't surpass Di Maria in just one year. Give it a few years and he will be. Di Maria is an absolutely incredible player, Januzaj can be but he isn't just yet.

If Di Maria coming puts Janujaz out of the team, which not saying it will, but if it does i'd rather Di Maria goes to that non event league in France.

If we move to a 433, Di Maria can play in the front 3 or the midfield 3. Given our squad composition (with its strong options for the front 3) a midfield 3 of Herrera, Fletcher/Carrick (or Vidal or even Blind), Di Maria would be an obvious option. In a 442 he can play on either wing or in behind the striker in the centre.

He's not only a high quality player, he's a hardworking player and he's a flexible one. If we buy him, it will be Ancelotti's problem, not LvG's.

Of course, like every other player you do have to put a value on him and that's a much harder question. To me at £50m he seems like a fair deal, at £60m he sounds expensive - but that's me, my mileage and other people's, or United's may vary.

for me di maria would be about 35 -45 million bracket.

It's weird how the Cafites raved about him all of last season (with the peak points after the el clasico game where he set 2 up and created chance after chance, and the CL Final where he set up Bale for the winner in extra time), then suddenly the appreciation on here for him had lulled again during the summer (is it the average world cup?) and whenever we were linked with him for big money the CAF would say he's not worth it (whereas Reus is, despite not being much younger, nor is he at this point in time better) and there were even those who preferred Sanchez...

Some of you need reminding on how good he is. Yes it's a youtube clip of some of his highlights last season, but I doubt you can find as many spectacular moments in one as this one and we all know he's had a great season so there's no 'it's only youtube, you could make Heskey look good' excuse.

Januzaj would have fulfilled his promise if he is anywhere near di Maria's level of last season. Some huge overrating and bias going on...

Januzaj might not even get much game time next season with Mata in his preferred position and LvG playing wing-backs.

Seriously ?
I do think Januzaj is good and is shows lots of promise but I think your over exaggerating there,He's not even a regular starter for Utd and he cant even dislodge Valencia and Young.

Seriously ?
I do think Januzaj is good and is shows lots of promise but I think your over exaggerating there,He's not even a regular starter for Utd and he cant even dislodge Valencia and Young.

Seriously ?
He's a better attacker than both of them combined. Valencia is the worst winger in the league, and I say that with confidence. I've said this so many times but a professional Football player who plays for Manchester United and earns what he does should learn how to at least pass with his left foot, him being unable to do so and not willing to work at it shows an ultimate lack of professionalism.

Signing Di Maria makes so much sense for us. He can play as CM, a classic winger or wingback. This versatility makes him perfect for LVGs 352 or 433 formations. Im sure, we may even play 442 once in a blue moon.

We are most certainly in for him, else why is no other club is world football being properly linked with him since PSG dropped out? In our clamour for more top quality midfielders, a summer swoop of Herrera, Vidal and Di Maria would be as good as it gets. I remain hopeful that where we will end up come transfer closing day.

He's a better attacker than both of them combined. Valencia is the worst winger in the league, and I say that with confidence. I've said this so many times but a professional Football player who plays for Manchester United and earns what he does should learn how to at least pass with his left foot, him being unable to do so and not willing to work at it shows an ultimate lack of professionalism.
I would agree that he is better at attacking than those two but there must be other reasons he doesnt get a start over them.
Don't get me wrong Id like to see more of Januzaj in the team but just pointing out I don't see him anywhere close to Di Maria one year from now.

I would agree that he is better at attacking than those two but there must be other reasons he doesnt get a start over them.
Don't get me wrong Id like to see more of Januzaj in the team but just pointing out I don't see him anywhere close to Di Maria one year from now.
Neither do I mate, but Di Maria should not be a priority right now.. We need to sort out defence and midfield.

He could of course play in a midfield 3, or as a winger in a forward 3. Wing back would be a bit of a joke... though it is an important position in the current formation. The only position that makes sense for him in the 3-4-1-2 is as one of the top two, where we don't need him. But we will change formation anyway. The 3-4-1-2 will not make sense against a number of PL teams.

He could of course play in a midfield 3, or as a winger in a forward 3. Wing back would be a bit of a joke... though it is an important position in the current formation. The only position that makes sense for him in the 3-4-1-2 is as one of the top two, where we don't need him. But we will change formation anyway. The 3-4-1-2 will not make sense against a number of PL teams.

Why would wing back be a joke?

From what I observed at the world cup, he has enough stamina for the role and also was very impressive tracking back for Argentina. He can also tackle.

I think he would do very well in that role.

I imagine Di Maria would also fill Woodward's shirt-selling fetish. If only the Glazers would sanction a budget buster.

Why would wing back be a joke?

From what I observed at the world cup, he has enough stamina for the role and also was very impressive tracking back for Argentina. He can also tackle.

I think he would do very well in that role.

He could play there, but it would be bizarre to spend the money on him and Shaw and play him at LWB, no?

Would be like Real playing Bale at LB.

I think we're more like the tight mum telling the kid in the sweet shop to put everything down because it's too expensive, whilst all the kids friends get giant gob stoppers and bon bons.
:lol: So the kid will make the most of a penny chew and say to himself it's better then nothing.

I need a drink...

He would be the best player in our squad by a mile unless RVP recaptures form.

Of course we should sign him.

Based alone on the fact that he can play so well in so many different positions (Wing, CM, Wingback) is the biggest reason why we should sign him. Van Gaal would absolutely love his versatility.

------Rooney/RVP---
-------Mata-----Januzaj
--Di Maria--Herrera
-----------DM-------

looks real strong to me. Di Maria up and down the left, Januzaj on the right, Mata playmaking centrally and Herrera box to box.

I don't think we need stats to tell us he outperformed our midfielders. He outperformed them all combined last season.

I don't think we need stats to tell us he outperformed our midfielders. He outperformed them all combined last season.
The stats also show how brilliant his all-round game was in a CM position last season.

------Rooney/RVP---
-------Mata-----Januzaj
--Di Maria--Herrera
-----------DM-------

looks real strong to me. Di Maria up and down the left, Januzaj on the right, Mata playmaking centrally and Herrera box to box.

Except you are benching one of Rooney/RVP to accommodate Di Maria. At best it is a marginal improvement in the team and for £50m you would more than a marginal improvement.

Wow.

Remember when some didn't want RVP because they were worried about Welbeck's development??

In the highly unlikely event that he comes,I think we would have to play a 4-2-2 like City do with Di Maria and Mata as the two AMs behind RVP and Rooney and ahead of a Herrera and Carrick midfield duo. However I think that we'd need a defensively stronger and mobile partner for Herrera . Di Maria works hard enough off the ball to make it work, but more will be expected from Mata off the ball, and you'd expect that formation to suit Welbeck because of his energy and involvement in build up play.

Remember when some didn't want RVP because they were worried about Welbeck's development??

I remember that well. It was a reasonable fear -- RvP being injury prone and Danny looking decent at the time -- but obviously a misplaced one.

Where income down on Di Maria is that if we can pick him up at a fire sale price let's do it (we can accommodate Angel and Adnan) but I really want us to focus first on Vidal. And with Martinez down now I'm worried Bayern might help themselves to Vidal and that would be that.

Seriously ?

Can't even dislodge Valencia and Young? Surely you jest.

Seriously ?
Of course he's better than Valencia and Young, especially considering his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.