Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah only Juan Mata and one of Rooney/Van Persie.

That's instantly two world-class and brilliant options dropped for Di Maria, who whilst is brilliant you never know how he'll settle in England. It doesn't always work out. It just wouldn't make sense as a transfer this summer.
One of those three has to be dropped each game anyway for me unless Rooney and RVP both play as out and out strikers. And there's no reason why Di Maria wouldn't make a good wingback.

That's instantly two world-class and brilliant options dropped for Di Maria, who whilst is brilliant you never know how he'll settle in England. It doesn't always work out. It just wouldn't make sense as a transfer this summer.

Real Madrid had a bigger headache to play him with all the other superstar and they were fine with their system, LVG can find something that will work with all our best players on the pitch.

If we played a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 Mata would be in the 10 position and either Rooney or RVP up top. It means dropping one player not two.

One of those three has to be dropped each game anyway for me unless Rooney and RVP both play as out and out strikers. And there's no reason why Di Maria wouldn't make a good wingback.

That would be a stupid waste of money and waste of a great player. Buying Di Maria to play him as a wingback would make us the laughing stock of world football.

You spunk that much money on Di Maria and play him as wingback? Reminds me of that Zlatan quote: "I was a ferrari being driven like a fiat" - total waste of his talents.

That would be a stupid waste of money and waste of a great player. Buying Di Maria to play him as a wingback would make us the laughing stock of world football.
Yup, it'd be like buying Mata and using him as a right wing... oh wait. Bleedin' Moyes!

Real Madrid had a bigger headache to play him with all the other superstar and they were fine with their system, LVG can find something that will work with all our best players on the pitch.

You don't have the luxury of wasting one of the best players in the world, Madrid do. Right now you should concentrate on strengthening areas of the pitch that are weak rather than purchasing brilliant players that don't fit the formation. You already lack balance as LvG has noted so why would he further exacerbate this?

Di Maria would be a waste. If you were going to get him the business should've been concluded early in the year with one of Rooney or Van Persie being shipped out.

I am sure LVG will want to sign at least one decent winger so that he can revert to 433 in a match if he felt the need to change things around.....But I just can't see Di Maria coming here due to the formation we will play with this season and no champions league football

Yup, it'd be like buying Mata and using him as a right wing... oh wait. Bleedin' Moyes!

It'd be much, much worse. At least Mata had history of being utilized on the wings.

Di Maria as a wingback? That would be utterly mental.

Hardly. And I didn't say that should be his position, I meant that he could play there if he had to as a result of injuries etc, or whilst LVG decides on the right system for the players that he's got.

You don't have the luxury of wasting one of the best players in the world, Madrid do. Right now you should concentrate on strengthening areas of the pitch that are weak rather than purchasing brilliant players that don't fit the formation. You already lack balance as LvG has noted so why would he further exacerbate this?

Di Maria would be a waste. If you were going to get him the business should've been concluded early in the year with one of Rooney or Van Persie being shipped out.

We don't have the luxury of wasting great players because we don't have enough of them already so Di Maria would be more than welcome for me. He'd make our CM stronger, faster, more technical and lethal on the break. He works really hard defensively too, what's there to lose ?

Nah, it'd be a lot worse. Mata used to be a winger before, Di Maria never a wingback.

Hardly. And I didn't say that should be his position, I meant that he could play there if he had to as a result of injuries etc, or whilst LVG decides on the right system for the players that he's got.

Let's just hope a scenario like that would never happen. I'd prefer to stick Smashley Young there

Not to mention what we would do with Shaw in that scenario.

I assume Di Maria would play on the right side and Shaw on the left in that scenario, considering he's usually used on the right side for Madrid. So it'd be Rafael or Young that'd lose out.

We don't have the luxury of wasting great players because we don't have enough of them already so Di Maria would be more than welcome for me. He'd make our CM stronger, faster, more technical and lethal on the break. He works really hard defensively too, what's there to lose ?

You'd be wasting great players in having to change formation to fit him in though.

He'd be a great buy for the midfield, but a 2 man midfield of him and Herrera just wouldn't work. Not solid enough and good teams would waltz through it.

I assume Di Maria would play on the right side and Shaw on the left in that scenario, considering he's usually used on the right side for Madrid. So it'd be Rafael or Young that'd lose out.

You ideally want your wingbacks in this system to mantain width though rather than cut back in like a 4-3-3 wing forward.

Plus Di Maria would have to defend on his outside more which won't be that good.

When has Di Maria even played CM ?

He played as front of 2 for Real. As sort of a more productive Park ji Sung type role.

You'd be wasting great players in having to change formation to fit him in though.

He'd be a great buy for the midfield, but a 2 man midfield of him and Herrera just wouldn't work. Not solid enough and good teams would waltz through it.

I firmly believe that when you wanna be the best or have the best, every sacrifice should be made towards that goal. Arsenal are full of lightweight players and they have one of the best CM in the league.

You'd play a 4222 like City. Rooney playing the Aguero role. Mata a la Silva. Di Maria - Nasri.

I firmly believe that when you wanna be the best or have the best, every sacrifice should be made towards that goal. Arsenal are full of lightweight players and they have one of the best CM in the league.

Arsenal fans are forever moaning they don't have that defensively solid bite in midfield. They badly need a Viera in there.

Even then - they have Ramsey who has superb tackling/interception stats and works very hard in the center of the field and also had Flamini for the purpose of breaking play up. They have the "best midfield in the league" until they meet a top side, at which point they are walked through - see them getting annihilated by Liverpool due to no cover from midfield.

Anyway, if you signed him I doubt he'd play CM.

We also have Fletcher and Carrick who could play and provide extra protection in the toughest (away) matches against strong opponents. Most of the time we'd fine without the extra protection. It's all about having options.

When has Di Maria even played CM ?

He played as front of 2 for Real.
As sort of a more productive Park ji Sung type role.

Front 2 ??? That's news to me :lol: You sure you've watched Real Madrid last season. Di Maria played as a CM but he also had freedom to run all around the pitch and specially the left wing where he provided numerous dangerous crosses all season long.

You'd play a 4222 like City. Rooney playing the Aguero role. Mata a la Silva. Di Maria - Nasri.

Difference being City have a very powerful cm behind them with Yaya and Fernandinho. We don't have that and we would be very vulnerable leaving Herrera and whoever else in there on their own.

Front 2 ??? That's news to me :lol: You sure you've watched Real Madrid last season. Di Maria played as a CM but he also had freedom to run all around the pitch and specially the left wing where he provided numerous dangerous crosses all season long.

I meant in front iof 2 cm's. Point me to games where he played as a 6 or even 8? He was a defensive 10 compared to Ozil.

I meant in front iof 2 cm's. Point me to games where he played as a 6 or even 8? He was a defensive 10 compared to Ozil.
Looked to me like he was playing alongside Modric and not in front of him, he was just given more of a licence to drift left and get forward. He was still a midfielder, and not an Ozil/Silva type #10.

Ronaldo started off on the left win, goes in a lot and therefor leaves the space open for Di Maria to go into. Rooney can start off on the left for us and give ADM the same space to love into when needed.

I doubt we wikl do this though, we wont sign him.

Would be a quality signing, although I have serious reservations if we can beat PSG for his signature.

Would be a quality signing, although I have serious reservations if we can beat PSG for his signature.

The reason why speculation has started of him joining us is because PSG publicly said they won't be signing him because he's too expensive.

A player as good as him, you buy them first and worry about where to play them later specially when your team is in need of quality players
Thinking like that brought Mata to the club and forced LVG to play s formation that's not his first choice. Spending close to £100m on Mata and Di Maria to reinforce an already bloated forward line whenthe defence and midfield still have gaps would be lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.