Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football doesn't quite work like that, especially when you've got oil-run clubs like PSG running amok.

Actually it does, look at this summer and previous ones' ridiculous signings.Getting surprised by highly expensive transfer in football is so cliché these days. Football has changed, let's accept it. Who are we to say this and that is or isn't worth that much ? Football financial experts ?

€75m for Di Maria? :eek:

He is worth €45m max and even that's pushing it.
Totally agree. With the way the team is being set up to play, i don't even see a position where we could fit him. I would like to get another natural central midfielder with good passing ability than sign Di Maria, but maybe Woody wants his star signing which he has been craving, and will massively overpay for Di Maria.

Actually it does, look at this summer and previous ones' ridiculous signings.Getting surprised by highly expensive transfer in football is so cliché these days. Football has changed, let's accept it. Who are we to say this and that is or isn't worth that much ? Football financial experts ?
I couldn't disagree with you more. You don't have to be an expert to say Di Maria isn't worth €75m just because PSG are reportedly willing to pay that much for him. That would be ridiculous then you have to take into account it's PSG we're talking about. This for a player Real Madrid don't even want.

Cadena Cope reported afew days back, the fee that Real are asking for Di Maria is close to 50m euros. AS and Marca change the fee every few hours. I would pay more attention Cope with their track record.

Probably just the media hurrying PSG to sell players and sign Di Maria. I'd be very surprised if we were in for him.

Thought I should go back to this as it paired semi-strawmen with personal attacks quite successfully.

Firstly - it's well known in general that 4-3-3 is Van Gaal's preferred formation, but it's further known he will adapt to the players he has at hand and, as you mention yourself, it's his overall philosophy that is his unchangeable factor. Given he's said he wants to play two up front as he doesn't want to leave 3 strikers on the bench every match, it seems he's adapted his philosophy to the 3-5-2 for the time being.

Secondly - I'm not so much questioning the acquisition of "the mvp of the cl final" (Jesus Christ), I'm more doubting that Van Gaal would acquire said MVP for the many reasons already provided. I'm in no doubt of his quality and he was a muppet target of mine up until a little under a week ago, when the switch to 3-5-2 was made public and it became fairly obvious di Maria didn't realistically fit anywhere within it. A change back to 4-3-3 would make the move look a lot more logical, but given that we played a match less than 6 hours ago still with three at the back and have apparently been training in a similar manner since the squad regrouped, I'm not sure such a switch is on the horizon. Maybe it will happen and we do drop one of the others and switch to four at the back, but it just doesn't seem the likeliest scenario at the moment.
this is so lovely, you accuse me of using strawman tactics and then glaze over the 'many reasons provided'.

the reasons provided are terrible.

you want players that will suit united properly and doubt the acquisition of di maria based on his versatility?

1st: players aren't built for 3-5-2's, they simply aren't, unless you want a bunch of fecking half incompetent italians that the big italian teams don't want to give up, because that's the only place you'll really find the 3-5-2 used with any regularity, but where will you find a proper wideback on the sides for the 3-5-2? did you not notice kuyt being used as a right back at the euros? do we have any proper widebacks? and the only good widebacks are playing for the italian giants already, well locked up.

2nd: what, you think di maria can't play centre mid? do me a favor and tell me where he's excelled in and has been arguably the best player for madrid over the past 5-7 monthes? centre midfield. where'd he play for argentina the past season and a half? centre midfeild. di maria can play on either side of the wing, attacking midfield, and beside a midfield without any particular prowess defensively (i.e. modric). he's versatile, the very definition of a 3-5-2 player.

tell, who in our squad would fit into the midfield better then di maria? slow, unathletic, counter attack vulnerable carrick? or tom trips over his feet after passing sideways cleverley? nearly out the door fletcher?

look at the players van gaal has used in the centre of the midfield of a 3-5-2 (or really, a 3-4-1-2) for the dutch, wijnaldum, a typical winger/ attacking midfielder behind sneijder and besides only de jong, when the dutch played spain and won 5-1, the central pairing was an attacking midfielder in de guzman, besides de jong.

di maria can do what they just as well if not much much better.

adding a player of di maria's quality is a huge boon as well. just think of having a player that is truly world class at dribbling, probably one of the 5 best in the world at beating multiple players with close control, agility, and speed, and in that same player a proven hard working ethic, defensive tenacity, and all around midfield ability.

think too that if we switch to a 4-2-3-1 in emergency or a 4-3-3, which don't you think is QUITE possible, then we have arguably the best winger (or midfielders) in the world for such set ups? or would you prefer the likes of ... young... and valencia... utterly dross players for the past 2 seasons.

when you go for transfers, unless you have a very complete team with complimentary players of a well working system, you simply grab the best quality. we neither have a complete team, or a well established system, so even being negative to a di maria transfer is just stupid.

we live in a world where bale went for near 100m, james and kroos were just bought after a cl campaign with the winning modric- di maria- alonso trio, and the elite talent in isco. we just saw ozil bought for a record despite arsenal already having a plethora of attacking midfielders and the outstanding santi cazorla. david luiz went for 50 m for fecks sake.

we just finished 7th last season and we have to add quality now, feck the records and all. you want to feck about regarding whether DI MARIA fits into our team or not when our midfield consists of the likes of cleverley, carrick, fletcher? and our wings consists of young, valencia, januzaj (shining light but not elite), nani? your telling me your not keen for di maria in this scenario, after the disastor of last season, and that if di maria came to us saying he wants to come you wouldn't bite his hand off trying to make him sign up?

really it seems drastically cynical. reservation to the point of foolery.

it's another thing to say it's unlikely that van gaal will waste so much money on a player who he doesn't intend to use much, which i agree with, and if theres a player we should splash on, i think it's strootman, and it's another thing to say van gaal is really frugal on acquiring more players, possibly a fault, and also true. but to doubt bringing in di maria just seems dumb to me. there are so many different systems in the world, essentially any time you buy a player now you're buying a player who's been used in a totally different way then how you intend to use him. to say this is a reason to turn down di maria seems idiotic, especially as di maria is world class in two positions where we don't have world class talent.

and on your first note, a personal attack is attacking a person. i attacked many person's ideas, very different thing. that you've mixed this up shows a level of sensitivity on your part.

It would be bizarre if we helped PSG fund the purchase of Di Maria by buying Cavani, it would defy all logic and I can't see LvG allowing it.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't PSG or Madrid using our name in order to get a deal done. Need more concrete info before believing this.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't PSG or Madrid using our name in order to get a deal done. Need more concrete info before believing this.

Explain to me then why would PSG use our name to get the deal done?

I can understand Real but why would PSG do that?

Probably just the media hurrying PSG to sell players and sign Di Maria. I'd be very surprised if we were in for him.

Ah so the media station owned by PSG is pressuring/hurrying themselves to sell players. Makes sense.

If Madrid wanted to use the media to put pressure on PSG, wouldn't it be wiser of them to use one of their own outlets in Spain?

I don't see why people are worried about him fitting into 3-5-2. LvG has already given us enough evidence that he isn't afraid to change his tactics to the personnel at his disposal. Once he sees Januzaj and if he buys Di Maria, he could well switch to a variant of 4-3-3.

I was all for this transfer if we played a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation, however, no that Van Gaal has said we'll most likely be using a 3-5-2, I can't see how he would fit in.

Agreed, I don't think we need another forward anyway. And if he's bought to play in the two man midfield behind Mata I would prefer a proper, conventional central midfielder instead. Or a centre back.

Not sure how it suits for Madrid to loan Di Maria anyway. They also need to raise cash after they've bought Rodriguez, Kroos. They'll certainly prefer a transfer deal rather than loan.

We aren't getting Di Maria. Especially at those huge prices and wages rumored. In our new formation he isn't even in the Priority area probably for new signings.

Yes Marca will be closer to PSG than BeIN sports who are owned by PSG's owners. Well done.

To be fair, does BeIN sports have a previously known inside track to PSG ? Just having the same holding company as owners necessarily doesn't mean that much.

See SportsDirect news who are owned more directly owned by Mike Ashley's company and the whole thing that came up when they made up something about Newcastle like they do with other clubs.

W

To be fair, does BeIN sports have a previously known inside track to PSG ? Just having the same holding company as owners necessarily doesn't mean that much.

See SportsDirect news who are owned more directly owned by Mike Ashley's company and the whole thing that came up when they made up something about Newcastle like they do with other clubs.

There's no comparison.

BeIN sports is a proper channel which is quite popular in middle eastern countries( previously known as Al-Jazeera sports). SportsDirectnews was just a website which doesn't work anymore.

The tweets by that PSG guy makes sense though. It seems the chairman of PSG left the BeIN Sports Arabia, so maybe they don't have the credibility but I just don't PSG raising this much cash to sign Di Maria unless they get someone like Cavani off their books.

he's already signed for PSG, the only thing remaining is PSG to sell 1-2 players. More chance of signing Vidal than Di Maria imo.

BeIN Sports France should be running this story aswell if there was something in it but they're not...

he's already signed for PSG, the only thing remaining is PSG to sell 1-2 players. More chance of signing Vidal than Di Maria imo.

Yep. And midfield is more of a priority area anyway for us than paying these over the top prices for Di Maria that are reported.

Just seems to me his Agent/Real/Spanish media are using us to make PSG pay up ASAP. And PSG are trying to flog us Cavani somehow.

Should try to get Verrati or Lucas from PSG if there's a chance at decent prices.

goal.com quotes ancelotti

"Di Maria is very close to PSG," he concluded, acknowledging reports linking the Argentine winger to the French champions, “I have no news. Di Maria is the same as the others."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2014/07/27/4986347/ancelotti-james-an-investment-for-madrid?ICID=HP_BN_6

Ancelotti didn't say Di Maria is very close to PSG - that was included in the question from the reporter. Ancelotti said the bit about no news.

Status
Not open for further replies.