Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the news ticker on beIN Sports News it translates to : "bein Sports sources say that Argentina star Angel Di Maria is close to joining Manchester United"

They're reliable when it comes to news in Spain, Italy and France but I dont know what to make of this.

When is this guy due to report back to Madrid from holidays? If he is indeed close to joining us, I think it will be done swiftly.

I saw a report on the news from beIN Sports they said that although it was originally reported that Di Maria was heading it PSG it appears that the player wants to play in the Premier League which is why he chose MUFC. They're talking like its a done deal, again not sure what to make of it.

Not too convinced, but Woody's 'watch this space' antics leave me a bit conflicted as well. Why would you do that Woody? Why?

Found a stream to watch BeIN Sports and before it died I heard them say that PSG's Di Maria deal is dead...

I saw a report on the news from beIN Sports they said that although it was originally reported that Di Maria was heading it PSG it appears that the player wants to play in the Premier League which is why he chose MUFC. They're talking like its a done deal, again not sure what to make of it.
Reckon it could have something in it

Found a stream to watch BeIN Sports and before it died I heard them say that PSG's Di Maria deal is dead...
Bloke on Twitter is saying that bein reported he turned down PSG as he wanted to play in the Premier League and United are close to a deal.

Im guessing PSG are trying to offload Cavani to fund the Di Maria move but they haven't been successful obviously in finding a suitor for Cavani.

some of you are being so damn stupid about this 3-5-2 nonsense

who even says this is van gaal's preferred method? it's very likely he's using this formation as we truly lack a good defensive midfielder for a midfield three, and solid wing options.

van gaal always played a 4-3-3 with the dutch when strootman wasn't injured. he's played different formations at every team he's managed. the system is important to him, not the shape.

all this nonsense about questioning the acquisition of the mvp of the cl final and best winger in the world, just because we'd have to change the fecking formation is ridiculous.

if we got ronaldo back we'd unquestionably go to a 4-3-3 and feck the team's whole shape and undoubtedly create massive imbalance issues just to try to whore ronaldo into scoring 50 goals.
but di maria isn't good enough? di maria is better then any player we have at the moment barr van persie.
Thought I should go back to this as it paired semi-strawmen with personal attacks quite successfully.

Firstly - it's well known in general that 4-3-3 is Van Gaal's preferred formation, but it's further known he will adapt to the players he has at hand and, as you mention yourself, it's his overall philosophy that is his unchangeable factor. Given he's said he wants to play two up front as he doesn't want to leave 3 strikers on the bench every match, it seems he's adapted his philosophy to the 3-5-2 for the time being.

Secondly - I'm not so much questioning the acquisition of "the mvp of the cl final" (Jesus Christ), I'm more doubting that Van Gaal would acquire said MVP for the many reasons already provided. I'm in no doubt of his quality and he was a muppet target of mine up until a little under a week ago, when the switch to 3-5-2 was made public and it became fairly obvious di Maria didn't realistically fit anywhere within it. A change back to 4-3-3 would make the move look a lot more logical, but given that we played a match less than 6 hours ago still with three at the back and have apparently been training in a similar manner since the squad regrouped, I'm not sure such a switch is on the horizon. Maybe it will happen and we do drop one of the others and switch to four at the back, but it just doesn't seem the likeliest scenario at the moment.

Bloke on Twitter is saying that bein reported he turned down PSG as he wanted to play in the Premier League and United are close to a deal.
It's funny it took Di Maria this long to decide he actually wants to play in the Premier League. TO be fair if we pull it off, this would be great payback for Moura back in the day.

There's one verified fact that can backup these reports/rumors...

Right after World Cup, Louie asked Robben if he wants to continue his football adventure with him in Manchester. We know he said 'no, thanks' and to be honest the one of few left footed wingers with dynamism close to Robben's is in fact that Di Maria lad.

Could be true but also could be a weekend fairytale for impatient muppets like us. Could be a simply Vidal 2.0 saga because the lack of substantial transfer news from our camp.

On the other hand that interview Woodward gave really opened some hopes and confidence that we're indeed working on something.

My stream died before I could catch anything other than what I mentioned in my earlier post unfortunately.

It's funny it took Di Maria this long to decide he actually wants to play in the Premier League. TO be fair if we pull it off, this would be great payback for Moura back in the day.

Not to mention the message it sends by us landing a target that was seemingly bound for PSG.

I wanted to explain that ealier, Di Maria wants to play in the Premier League, his agent wants to make him sign for United (Mendes) but apparently his wife(?) prefers Paris (the city), the CL is also important to him but the Ligue 1 is not a competition that he wants to play.

I was all for this transfer if we played a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation, however, no that Van Gaal has said we'll most likely be using a 3-5-2, I can't see how he would fit in.

I follow a massive PSG fan on Twitter

According to his information (He's no ITK) Di Maria is very interested in us and PSG but CL football was very important for him next season
But PSG know they can't sign him without big sales (The transfers Cavani to us, Marquinhos to Barca or Lavezzi to Atletico Madrid don't happen very soon if they could happen)
He's now "pissed off" about PSG's transfer tactics.....Di Maria wants a transfer very soon away from Real Madrid.....Di Maria is very very pissed off that Real Madrid don't care about him
He don't know if Di Maria will come to us......but he knows a PSG ITK and that guys says Di Maria to PSG is 100% off

I would love Di Maria at United (like probably every United fan)....but i want a top top CM and top top CB before we can think about Di Maria....also i think where should he play in our new 3-5-2 formation :confused:

I was all for this transfer if we played a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation, however, no that Van Gaal has said we'll most likely be using a 3-5-2, I can't see how he would fit in.
Mourinho while in Madrid rated him highly in his defensive contribution. Transitioning from defense to attack, with a lot of counter attacks relying on him spreading the field as much as he can. He would be an excellent addition but that's just my opinion.

If we want Di Maria pay the feck up and move on. Can't be doing with another link turning into a saga.

If it's true we are signing players who want to play for us then we won't sign Di Maria.

We are very much his second choice and is only thinking about us because PSG are screwing about trying to offload players.

I follow a massive PSG fan on Twitter

According to his information (He's no ITK) Di Maria is very interested in us and PSG but CL football was very important for him next season
But PSG know they can't sign him without big sales (The transfers Cavani to us, Marquinhos to Barca or Lavezzi to Atletico Madrid don't happen very soon if they could happen)
He's now "pissed off" about PSG's transfer tactics.....Di Maria wants a transfer very soon away from Real Madrid.....Di Maria is very very pissed off that Real Madrid don't care about him
He don't know if Di Maria will come to us......but he knows a PSG ITK and that guys says Di Maria to PSG is 100% off

I would love Di Maria at United (like probably every United fan)....but i want a top top CM and top top CB before we can think about Di Maria....also i think where should he play in our new 3-5-2 formation :confused:
It wouldn't be ideal, but given how hard of a worker he is and him being good defensively I think he could do well on the left side. I do think the 3-5-2 is temporary but hypothetically him on the left of the 5, with Valencia on the right could work, and he'd also be perfect if we'd want to switch to a 4-3-3 later on. If we managed to bring in a midfielder like Vidal as well, then I think there'd be an even better chance of it working because Vidal's energy and defensive ability could cover that left side for when Di Maria gets stuck further up the pitch. We'll see but getting a player like him would be huge for us IMO.

We're gonna sign Di Maria, boys! It's on!

Seeing as we've got this years' Fabregas saga (Vidal) out of the way, it's now time to sit back and buckle up your seatbelt for this years' homage to the Thiago saga, only instead of Bayern, PSG are the ones who get him in the end. But that's all spoilers.

Di Maria's been playing center midfield hasn't he? Can't see us signing 3 central midfielders in the summer, so would probably end the Vidal speculation.

€75m for Di Maria? :eek:

He is worth €45m max and even that's pushing it.

There is simply no way we have any interest in Cavani. LVG talked about having too many strikers again in his post-match presser.

Which is good. I don't even care what happens with Di Maria as long as we don't end up with Cavani.

Di Maria's been playing center midfield hasn't he? Can't see us signing 3 central midfielders in the summer, so would probably end the Vidal speculation.

He's been playing in a sort of nominally central midfield position, but he's not a central midfielder. He definitely wouldn't play in CM for us. He'd play on the wing, which is his natural position (and mostly where he spent his time on the pitch for Real despite that starting position.)

Di Maria showed last season that he can be absolutely World Class in a AM role, was their best attacking player last season along with Modric.

Status
Not open for further replies.